Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6-10 down in the 5th?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2010 at 6:40pm
When you're down, you should play more aggressive according to LGL.
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2010 at 11:00am
I like JKC's answer.  Think that the pressure is on him to close out the match.  In tennis, you always hear the analysts talking about "making him serve it out."  Maybe he'll feel the pressure.

In general though, if he's been winning by attacking you want to try to take the initiative away from him.  If he's been forcing you into mistakes you want to try to keep it steady and make him take the risk.

Also, if you decide the opponent feels pressure you want to make him hit a winner.  If he's relaxed and he's been hitting his shots, better to take the initiative. 

All easier said than done of course.  But this is what I've compiled from my reading, esp brad gilbert's book winning ugly.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2010 at 1:30am
ooze confidence, but don't get stupid. You need to figure out what works for you to help you get that confidence, but with that confidence comes focus. I can get myself into "the zone" in these situations and succeed in making the comeback quite often.

If you are more confident than him, (and relatively close in rating) you should have a high chance of winning.

To better your chances, let him know you are more confident. Flash a quick smile (don't be ridiculous though, think closer to than ) which I have found helps. Use serves you are comfortable with, whatever they may be.

Of course working yourself up into this "zone" increases your chances greatly, but it also make losing suck a lot more when you know you got so close.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2010 at 8:51am
In general, I agree with the advice to just play it one point at a time and not worry about the score.

But being a bit more specific, I would say serve very spinny, very short and then tactics come into play. If he is a looper then play the short game, push, push, push, push...until he tires of it and tries to loop a short low one.

I also agree that he will want to get the point faster than you and close out the game. You can use that to your advantage by putting the pressure on him and making it difficult for him to get that fast point. He will go for the point and try to get it it on a less than ideal ball.

And now going back to the first para, play it point by point, if the ball is high and can be killed, do not be defensive, kill it. If it is low and short, don't get nervous and try to get a quick point if he is out of position, play the ball on merit.

It is also a good idea to have a couple of secret odd-ball serves for situations like these to get a couple of quick surprise points. Never hurts.

This has worked for me many times.

Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic