FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

97g Avalox P500 : Keep it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 97g Avalox P500 : Keep it?
    Posted: 10/15/2019 at 5:48pm
Just got one at this absurd weight.

These are usually 85g blades, and I was expecting a blade in the 82-88g.
It's 5g heavier than my (heavy enough) OSP U2.

When I ordered, I was looking for was something that has a similar wood feel, but a notch faster and more stable for blocking and flat hitting than my 1990's vintage Yasaka Gatien Extra.

-The Gatien Extra is soft, flexible and light.

I was looking for something that has similar speed, but more linear power delivery than my OSP U2. The U2 has an interesting 2nd gear that kicks in when you switch from short game to playing at speed. That gear makes the blade a joy to serve and attack, but also to apply pressure from mid distance.

-The U2 is soft, medium firm, and heavy.

Although I like the centered balance of the blade, I am concerned about wrist speed and wear and tear on my joints carrying those extra grams. On paper, this blade is a good replacement for the Virtuoso I used for celluloid balls. But that blade was @87g

The question is, do I keep the 97g P500 or send it back and try to get something in the 88g range?
I'm probably going to put Tibhar K1 Hybrid Max on the FH and Rasant 1.7mm on the backhand. 

Rasant is pretty heavy, and K1 is not, but I'm hoping the thickness difference make the head balance smooth for transitions...
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2019 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Just got one at this absurd weight.

These are usually 85g blades, and I was expecting a blade in the 82-88g.
It's 5g heavier than my (heavy enough) OSP U2.

When I ordered, I was looking for was something that has a similar wood feel, but a notch faster and more stable for blocking and flat hitting than my 1990's vintage Yasaka Gatien Extra.

-The Gatien Extra is soft, flexible and light.

Same thing happened to poster bes. One was 85, the next 100. It was a blue thunder though

I was looking for something that has similar speed, but more linear power delivery than my OSP U2. The U2 has an interesting 2nd gear that kicks in when you switch from short game to playing at speed. That gear makes the blade a joy to serve and attack, but also to apply pressure from mid distance.

-The U2 is soft, medium firm, and heavy.

Although I like the centered balance of the blade, I am concerned about wrist speed and wear and tear on my joints carrying those extra grams. On paper, this blade is a good replacement for the Virtuoso I used for celluloid balls. But that blade was @87g

The question is, do I keep the 97g P500 or send it back and try to get something in the 88g range?
I'm probably going to put Tibhar K1 Hybrid Max on the FH and Rasant 1.7mm on the backhand. 

Rasant is pretty heavy, and K1 is not, but I'm hoping the thickness difference make the head balance smooth for transitions...
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2019 at 8:14pm
Wow, that's heavy, I've never seen one anywhere near that heavy. It wasn't ordered from China, was it? there's still a Chinese manufacturer that makes these blades, and sells them as genuine Avalox blades.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2019 at 9:26pm
Nope. I got it from tabletennis11.com  - It has the Avallo/AVX branding on the blade printing that the original company uses. It also says made in Sweden.

Finish on it is nice. Similar to the finish on the last C555  I bought from OOAK. Not rough like the P500 I bought from Diego at Alphatabletennis back in 2009. 
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 1:17am
I wish TT11 allows the buyer to specify a weight range. 
AfroBro View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 2:50am
They usually do don't they? I've emailed them before ordering any blade and they sent a list of what's in stock. That way you can pick exactly what you want. 
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 6:22am

Finish on it is nice. Similar to the finish on the last C555  I bought from OOAK. Not rough like the P500 I bought from Diego at Alphatabletennis back in 2009. 

Very curious, all the p500 I've ever seen have that sanded finish that you find on many Sweden-made blades, unlike the C555 which has a very varnished finished. OOAK has some in as recent as earlier this year, and they finish was identical to the older ones.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 8:16am
Originally posted by AfroBro AfroBro wrote:

They usually do don't they? I've emailed them before ordering any blade and they sent a list of what's in stock. That way you can pick exactly what you want. 

Of course they do.. If I order for my kid, I usually ask them to give me the lightest blade X in stock.. and they always do
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 10:21am

Nope. I got it from tabletennis11.com  - It has the Avallo/AVX branding on the blade printing that the original company uses. It also says made in Sweden.

I stopped using avalox since the last blade I got lacked touch. I dont know if there are still users that are hapoy with the latest  models if current blades have the same feeling of the old blades
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 10:48am
Hi, have you tried to kiln dry it by leaving it close to the furnace in a very dry and warm environment? You might lose 10 grams if, like I think, that thing is glutted with water. 

edit: then it might play powerful and crisp; note that if you invest weight on your fh while chosing the light AK47 red or blue for the bh, you might end up with an average 185g setup; maybe less if 10g is what the drying will save.

Edited by stiltt - 10/16/2019 at 11:24am
juanma4080 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juanma4080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 5:25pm
Yin Yang
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by juanma4080 juanma4080 wrote:

Yin Yang

Was your account hacked and now you are posting symbols?

Also, to the individual who suggested kiln drying - how would i dry it evenly to prevent warping?
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Very curious, all the p500 I've ever seen have that sanded finish that you find on many Sweden-made blades, unlike the C555 which has a very varnished finished. OOAK has some in as recent as earlier this year, and they finish was identical to the older ones.

This is not rough like the Stiga Allround and OC's of 2006-2011. It is a clean finish with no rough edges. I requested blade lacquering from tt11 but I can't see any visible coating at the neck or handle line. the blade surface is machine smooth though.

Edited by icontek - 10/16/2019 at 9:51pm
JustANoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustANoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2019 at 10:00am
Between the p500 and xiom fuga, they both seem to have the same construction. Can anyone compare them , reason to go with p500 over the fuga ?
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2019 at 12:52pm

What some would do is keep it for a some time, then put it in the For Sale section stating it was handpicked by a professional due to the powerful weight, or say it's a pro version or something along those lines Smile So in that sense, I admire you for being ethical.

As for weight, I tell clubmates two things: first, go with their preferred number and go only plus or minus 2g.  Second, pay attention to the balance as I have seen for example a 92g blade feel lighter than an 85g just due to being better balanced.  If you are using the CNT textbook set up of H3N and Tenergy, 97g seems too much.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2019 at 1:08pm
huh, I actually had text in my post when I posted it.

I remember poster BES bought one that was 82g, then bought one as a backup and it was like literally 100g.  So much for the fabled avalox QC.

I just bought a bunch of avalox stuff through globe, and I kind of wonder if they don't have a Chinese and Western separation in their offerings.

DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2019 at 1:45am
TT11 will always meet weight requests. I've sent them more weight requests than I care to admit and they always deliver.
Also, their lacquering is usually very thin, sometimes even disappearing after the first rubber removal.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2019 at 4:48am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I kind of wonder if they don't have a Chinese and Western separation in their offerings.
Avalox used to have a Distributor in Tianjin (China), but cut ties with them many years ago, when this company started selling imitation and rejected Avalox products. I believe this Chinese company still sells these, but these are not official Avalox/AVX products. This may well be the same company that trademarked the name Avalox in China, stabbing the backs of the official Avalox owners. Taking legal action, especially against a Chinese company, is very difficult and expensive, so they had no choice but to change the to Avallo AVX. You can find most of this info in the Avalox interview that I did a few years back, it's a fascinating read.

Edited by haggisv - 10/18/2019 at 5:49am
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2019 at 6:11am

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I kind of wonder if they don't have a Chinese and Western separation in their offerings.
Avalox used to have a Distributor in Tianjin (China), but cut ties with them many years ago, when this company started selling imitation and rejected Avalox products. I believe this Chinese company still sells these, but these are not official Avalox/AVX products. This may well be the same company that trademarked the name Avalox in China, stabbing the backs of the official Avalox owners. Taking legal action, especially against a Chinese company, is very difficult and expensive, so they had no choice but to change the to Avallo AVX. You can find most of this info in the Avalox interview that I did a few years back, it's a fascinating read.

Agree. That interview o the OOAK forum is very interesting. Recommend.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2019 at 4:02pm
I read the article long ago, which is why I have only purchased Avalox products from Diego at AlphaTT (us Avalox distrubutor and from Haggis at OOAK). 

But I was placing a decent size order for accessories from TT11 and figured I'd pick up another of these blades and see how they played with the plastic ball.

But if the packaging is marked Avalox, and my blade is face is Marked Avalox AVX, and the handle inserts are marked Avalox, is this the same as Avallo AVX?

Or does Avalox AVX mean that they tried to copy Avallo AVX and screwed up?

Edited by icontek - 10/18/2019 at 4:58pm
juanma4080 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juanma4080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2019 at 10:36am
keep it
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2019 at 7:29pm
there you have it, the verdict is in  

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2019 at 12:40am

[QUOTE=cole_ely]I kind of wonder if they don't have a Chinese and Western separation in their offerings.
Avalox used to have a Distributor in Tianjin (China), but cut ties with them many years ago, when this company started selling imitation and rejected Avalox products. I believe this Chinese company still sells these, but these are not official Avalox/AVX products. This may well be the same company that trademarked the name Avalox in China, stabbing the backs of the official Avalox owners. Taking legal action, especially against a Chinese company, is very difficult and expensive, so they had no choice but to change the to Avallo AVX. You can find most of this info in the Avalox interview that I did a few years back, it's a fascinating read. [/QUOTE

So alphatt and tt11 only sells copies?
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2019 at 4:21am
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

They do. Just message them and ask if they have weight you need. They will hand select precisely that weight or will let you know wha tis the closest. Then you can pay.

To the OP: obviously do not keep it! You do not want to play above 195g racket, right? As this will damage your shoulder, wrist or elbow. That is guaranteed.

Edited by fmarek - 10/27/2019 at 4:25am
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2019 at 10:41am
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

They do. Just message them and ask if they have weight you need. They will hand select precisely that weight or will let you know wha tis the closest. Then you can pay.

To the OP: obviously do not keep it! You do not want to play above 195g racket, right? As this will damage your shoulder, wrist or elbow. That is guaranteed.

After much deliberation, I decided to send it back. The lightest replacement they could offer was 89g and that sounds too solid for what I want. But I found an 87g from Diego at AlphaTT, and I'm waiting for some Donic water based sealer to finish it off. 

The blade markings look identical to the Tabletennis11 version (Avalox AVX, not the older Avalox or Avallo AVX) so I'm pretty secure that both are legit. 

Thanks for all the feedback! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic