FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

A bushel of bananas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A bushel of bananas
    Posted: 05/16/2019 at 11:22am
Practiced the table banana flicks the other day - I hit a bunch of them (or a bushel). It feels comfortable in training but I still can't get confident using it in a game for some reason. I instinctively push back the short serves in a game no matter how many bananas I do in practice. 
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Sponsored Links

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2019 at 11:30am
great shirt

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2019 at 11:47am
Since you're not using any elbow in the motion, are you able to flick the really low and short ones? Looks like the multi ball is a bit higher than many serves qould be and faster. Theres that video of dima showing the bh flick, where he demonstrates elbow placement and having it in front of the wrist to start the stroke. 
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2019 at 11:53am
Could be those practice serves aren't the same quality as what you get in a match.  Or maybe you're still focused on winning the match.  Try focusing on executing the BH flick properly during the game.  It will come to you eventually.

Edited by GMan4911 - 05/16/2019 at 11:58am
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2019 at 12:15pm
Banana flicks come back at you faster than your push. Movement at the table is just as important (?moreso) than movement off the table. 
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2019 at 12:40pm
waldner never did a banana flick.
yet somehow he managed to win a couple of tournaments Tongue
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2019 at 1:08pm
Banana flick is overrated
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Since you're not using any elbow in the motion, are you able to flick the really low and short ones? Looks like the multi ball is a bit higher than many serves qould be and faster. Theres that video of dima showing the bh flick, where he demonstrates elbow placement and having it in front of the wrist to start the stroke. 
On some balls I use a little elbow, but good points. My flick is an unripe banana.
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2019 at 2:58pm

He does use a little elbow, especially in the beginning of the stroke. I think higher level people have to raise their elbow more because they stay lower. We don't quite have to..
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2019 at 3:20pm
the secret of the "chiquita super bananoidea chiquitita" is not in the arm but in the legs.
you have to really bend your knees, curl your body like the hunchback of notre-dame and get over the table.
then the arm part is the same as when you are looping a push.

banana yogurt has always been maybe my favourite flavour.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 05/16/2019 at 3:21pm
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2019 at 6:30pm
Come on.  I want to see your FZD impersonation where you set up receive from Bh corner, quickly move over and around Fh corner to  banana flip serve to Fh side, and the move quickly back to step around the Bh corner to hit a Fh winner.

Note: A good video editor may be you best chance at this impersonation.

Mark -  Master of the spoiled fruit flip.  No matter what you call it, it still stinks.

Edited by mjamja - 05/16/2019 at 6:31pm
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2019 at 2:46am
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

On some balls I use a little elbow, but good points. My flick is an unripe banana.
Both my current Chinese coach and my previous Chinese coach insisted that a banana required a very raised elbow with the paddle curling around the *under* side of the ball.  If you go over the top of the ball, then it's a flip.  My tendency was always to come around the side towards the top, which they both insisted was wrong (and which happens when you don't raise your elbow enough).  Of course, I explained that I was just inventing a new stroke, that would become famous in future years.  Since it's a combination flip and banana, I call it the flanana.  Anyway, your stroke looks something like a flanana to me.

I will say that when I do multiball practice attempting a true banana (not a flanana), the balls coach feeds me are shorter and with heavier backspin than in your video.

--Ben, the inventor of the flanana
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2019 at 4:19am
I agree with some of the above. I think the flick is good. But if you just put your elbow a little more infront you will be able to use it as a pivot point, as a steady point from where the elbow and wrist rotates. You proably only have time to use mostly wrist but can still get power from the steady elbow. 

You need to try to move out faster. if you flip against an opponent the ball will always come long to you since they will loop the ball. Now you are blocking and moving back at the same time. I also think you should try to move in with the right foot, not the left foot. 

I also think you should try to loose some weigth. Do some more footwork exercises without and with the ball and you will loose weigth fast. I lost alot of weigth when i played footwork drills. Going for long walks and jogging would proably also be good. 
You seem to have good strokes so you could become a better player by doing that. You also seem like a nice guy, and that weight will be bad for your health in the longrun. Especially for your knees if you play tabletennis. I do not know you or your history so i take this well. I just want to help. 
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2019 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Lula Lula wrote:

I agree with some of the above. I think the flick is good. But if you just put your elbow a little more infront you will be able to use it as a pivot point, as a steady point from where the elbow and wrist rotates. You proably only have time to use mostly wrist but can still get power from the steady elbow. 

You need to try to move out faster. if you flip against an opponent the ball will always come long to you since they will loop the ball. Now you are blocking and moving back at the same time. I also think you should try to move in with the right foot, not the left foot. 

I also think you should try to loose some weigth. Do some more footwork exercises without and with the ball and you will loose weigth fast. I lost alot of weigth when i played footwork drills. Going for long walks and jogging would proably also be good. 
You seem to have good strokes so you could become a better player by doing that. You also seem like a nice guy, and that weight will be bad for your health in the longrun. Especially for your knees if you play tabletennis. I do not know you or your history so i take this well. I just want to help. 
I've started my routine to get in shape for US Nationals. Usually I start 2 weeks before but since I'm more out of shape this year (and I want to fit in my flight seat), I'm starting my routine 6 weeks out. I'm near a small park with an asphalt path along the edge, I'm estimating 600 meters around. 2 weeks ago my time was 5:40, today I "ran" it in 4:59. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic