Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A new blade offered by my coach, need your opinion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A new blade offered by my coach, need your opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A new blade offered by my coach, need your opinion
    Posted: 03/13/2007 at 6:13am
Hello, He offered me a Killerspin Kido 7R with Nitrx 5Z on both sides. the blade is  7 ply wood... http://www.killerspin.com/displayitem.php?i=102 that's the specifications, what do you think of that blade and is it good for me as I just started playing in a club. ty.  p.s: he want's to sell me the blade, so maybe that's his own interest, maybe it's a crappy blade that doesn't worth the money.
Sponsored Links

Harold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 6:29am
I've never played with that before. But you know what? Best thing is to try it out, not only for training but for games and see if it suits you.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 6:36am
If it's cheap I'd get it, if you're just starting.
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 6:43am
it's not cheap, it costs about 120$ rubbers included. :/ he kinda pushed me into buying that, he's my coach. don't  wanna ruin the relationship. he already essembled it, am i screwed?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 7:59am
I would tell him I can't afford that much.  I think there are a lot of better options out there for less.  Have you even been to the ks website to see how much that is supposed to cost?  Sounds like something he got through some sort of sponsorship.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 8:05am
That's actually pretty strange that you coach recommended certain equipment. It does sound a little fishy. I'd say go with your gut feeling...and if you coach really is interested in helping you improve I'd doubt he'd let something like this become an issue.

Gark
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 11:00am
I haven't heard good things about Killerspin equipment, why not stick to what is tried, tested and true? Your coach definitely seems to have stuck you in an awkward situation.

What are you currently using?

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
adambty View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 11:36am
get rid of that coach... with $120, you can get a much better equipment than that.
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 11:45am
The suggestion of getting rid of your coach seems to be too extreme.  I'd suggest you first ask your coach why he thinks your current setup is not suitable for your game and why Killerspin Kido 7R is better.
adambty View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 11:52am
did he ask you first before he assemble the blade, if not I think he is trying to get rid of his old blade or someone else blade and you happens to be the junkyard. If so, I dont think he is thinking of a good coach-student relationship... its more like coach-junkyard relationship... I say get rid of him.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by dadab12 dadab12 wrote:

it's not cheap, it costs about 120$ rubbers included. :/ he kinda pushed me into buying that, he's my coach. don't  wanna ruin the relationship. he already essembled it, am i screwed?
With that amount of $$$$, u could get a Bty Petr Korbel w/ 2 X Sriver L or EL n still 've spare change..This combo is excellent n I'm sure the "experts" here will tell u this is one of the Best setup....
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 1:01pm
Killerspin calls it their fastest wood blade, and the rubber seems to be on the high end of their product line (but I don't know anything about killerspin, so I could be wrong)

Did he say he specced this setup for you specifically?  And what are you playing with now, a fast blade + good rubbers, or?  And what is your current level of play?
Miguel_ View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miguel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 1:11pm
i dont know a lot abut killerspin equipement but it says that it is the fastest killerspin equipment but not always th fastest ist the better...dpends of your style..tell us whts your style and level of play and maybe we can help you...
blade:Donic Person Power Carbon
FH:Donic Vario Soft
BH:Sriver fx
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by adambty adambty wrote:

did he ask you first before he assemble the blade, if not I think he is trying to get rid of his old blade or someone else blade and you happens to be the junkyard. If so, I dont think he is thinking of a good coach-student relationship... its more like coach-junkyard relationship... I say get rid of him.

You're thinking along the same lines I am. I think he ran across this blade somehow already. You know what would reallly piss him off? If he bought the combo new off killerspin now and said, "Isn't this what you wanted me to get? It was cheaper just to get it online."

Actually I just looked and wow! It's not cheaper. I didn't remember their stuff was so much. They're now into the spintech market of premium stuff.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
ryno View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 4:27pm
yeah their newer stuff is pretty good.the rubbers are nice but i don't care for their composite blades.I live near chicago where they are located and everyone seems to love this stuff.
Red Label Kim Taek Soo (83g)
Almana Sound Synergy Tech (max)
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 4:43pm

Thanks for the replys, He has already essembled the blade, I played with it and it was ok. I really don't know. The fh side has Nitrx and the bh side has Nitrx Z5 eventhough I started I want Z5 on both sides. He told me that the ntirx is newer eventhough it's cheaper. darn, I feel like I was scammed.

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 4:47pm
How did the idea to use that blade + rubber come up? Did he suggest that particular configuration, or did you?
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 4:51pm
HE suggested, and even said: "trust me" I didn't really know the exact configuration of the setup...
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 5:03pm
What is your level, how is your form + control?

If you're still developing form and more control, it seems a little strange.

Coach + student is a long term relationship.  And nobody should have to buy a blade / rubber without having tested some first - especially in the formative time when you're getting coaching and developing strokes.

If he is legit, he should let you turn that blade down - tell him its too fast, you need something more controllable (I'm assuming here that you are coming out of "basement" phase of TT and developing your game more systematically).  Coaching is a long term relationship - both morally and financially, it makes sense for him to respect your wishes.  Absolutely, as a coach he should explain his rationale for recommending particular equipment - how said equipment relates to your game + goals for training over the coming months.

Demand an explanation, and maybe suggest the paddle is too fast for you.  If he gets annoyed or complains, he has another motive.  If he coaches at a club, talk to other members about him, and maybe call the situation to the attention of some more senior players / owner, more than likely they know this equipment better and can call him out on it if its a bad idea.

$120 is a bit of money to spend, but the coaching costs, both financially + time-wise, are much higher.  Consider it a stroke of luck if you find out he's not on the level NOW, instead of later.  It feels a little sh--ty, but figuring out later would feel worse.

As for the blade, it seems nice Wink Maybe not for beginner / intermediate, but good none-the-less.  All this discussion is just about relationship with coach, I wouldn't sweat the actual purchase.  But if he's for real he should refund you and let you choose something else - "trust me" doesn't cut it.

BTW - what does he use for equipment?
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 5:07pm
he has 2 blades, 1st one is  BTY Mazunov off+ with two killerspin 5Z and one killerspin blade with  two 5Z... he's only 22, he's the national champion here.
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 5:08pm

I want him to replace the rubber with a Z5 :( p.s: wow it costs even less through the website. much cheaper. darn

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 5:09pm
How does he get all that killerspin rubber + blades?  Sponsored?  Or maybe discount program?

So he (national champion) is recommending the same equipment that he uses, to you?
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 5:14pm

yep.

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 5:18pm
If he's sponsored he's getting at a discount / free, and evidently didn't pass the savings along.  But he doesn't really have to do that I guess.  He recommended an all-wood blade which is slower than his own setup, so maybe he is taking your needs into account (discount issue aside) But it really is a question of where you are in your training to answer.
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 5:24pm
Well, I'm a developing player, He said that i'm a very talented player and it's a shame I just started playing at a age of 17. Well, I really dunno, should I tell him to change my rubber and that's it? is the Timo boll spirit slower than that blade?
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 5:35pm
I don't know about TBS, but the blade he recommended is all wood 7 ply, rated OFF-; TBS is 5 ply wood with 2 ply arylate / carbon composite.  TBS is a great blade but maybe somewhat of a different beast - it can be your next blade.

That cheaper rubber could suit your game if you feel more confident about forehand than backhand, for example - use the slower rubber on your backhand to give you more control.  But the situation is more about price I guess, maybe he gets this stuff free / cheap, and isn't up front with you about how that might influence his advice.
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 5:41pm
Well, I thought about the tbs for the next blade, the blade i'm currently using is a 7 ply wood rates as off+, not off- and the fh rubber is nitrx rated as off and a nitrx 5Z on bh ratesd as off+ the nitrx has less control and speed compared to the 5Z...
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 6:32pm
If it was me, and I hadn't asked him to assemble the blade for me, I would ask gim to stick it where the sun don't shine. Cause that is a lot of cash to spend on something that you haven't decided on your own. Also, I get the impression that you ar fairly new to the sport and even if I haven't tried any of the stuff you mention it look's way to fast for a beginner judging by it's rating's.

Then again, if he is a national champion and coaching you, you might think it's worth the cash. That's up to you to decide...
The holy grail
ppong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 7:00pm

From your post I know that you don't trust your coach. 

Coach = Teacher

I don't think you care about people opinion.
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 7:18pm
nitrx 5z is a very good rubber heres a pretty thorough review
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic