Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A new blade offered by my coach, need your opinion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

A new blade offered by my coach, need your opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
adambty View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 9:59pm
a national champion does not necessirily makes him a good coach. Don't give him too much face just because he is a national champion. I think you are screwed. With $120, you can definately get something better than that.

Besides, a national champion in your area may not even get a game out of a province player in China. So nothing really big about being a national champion.

Sponsored Links

shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 11:13pm
get one of the combos offered by paddlepalace.com
they're cheaper and u can ask your coach to help you pick the rubbers if he really wants to help
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
Markus. L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markus. L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 11:17pm
get your money back, for 120 you can get stiga clipper cr combo
Nittaku Acoustic-FL
fh/bh-Almana

BUTTERFLY Timo Boll TriCarbon-FL
fh/bh-Optimum MP

DONIC Waldner Senso Carbon
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 3:41am
Hello, Can I get a refund? is it even possible after he has assembled the blade? and is it a bad blade to start with? I had an old blade before, so I call it my first professional blade. what do you think guys I should do?
gundam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gundam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 9:46am
Originally posted by dadab12 dadab12 wrote:

Hello, Can I get a refund? is it even possible after he has assembled the blade? and is it a bad blade to start with? I had an old blade before, so I call it my first professional blade. what do you think guys I should do?

If you mean by getting a refund from KS. Forget it. I don' t think they do that. Even if they did, the rubbers are cut and glued to the blade so it cannot be resold.

What to do? I'd sack the coach. A good coach should tell you to go with equipment that is right for you (no brand loyalty) but you alone will make that decision.

forehandloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 10:03am
if you dont want it perhaps sell it off again over here or on ebay. or just pluck off the rubber and keep the blade if you like. 
MALIN=Making A Loop Irritate Noobs

TIMOBOLL=Tt Includes More Of Body Odour, Lob Lowly

SAMSONOV=Slicing A Massive Spin Over Non-Oxygen Vessels

MALONG=My Attack Leads Our National Encyclopedia
Diabolosyl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diabolosyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 10:19am
I don't know if this suits you but your racket costs more than 120 $, 65 for the blade and 35.5$ for each rubber.

I won't talk about quality as I don't know anything about killerspin.

But if you are a beginner, I think it is a bit to fast for you and to expensive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 10:28am
as a beginner my bat cost me 2 bucks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 10:29am
not $200 so if your a beginner just a get a random slow bat
(actually i dont think hes a beginner if hes serious enough to get a proper coach)

loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 10:44am
I don't think you should sack your coach or sell the raquet. Take it as a lesson learned, but sit him down and let him know you're serious. Talk to him about how you felt coerced into buying something that cost a lot of money. It's a two-way street and you need to be honest with him, regardless (and honest with yourself). It's not a coaching issue, it's a relationship/trust issue and that puts you both on a level playing field. He needs you just as much as you need him. Perhaps he firmly believes in your abilities and thinks you'll progress quickly into this blade's capabilities. Whatever you do, be careful how you talk to him about it-- your working relationship with the coach is more important than the raquet will ever be. In the end you'll both have a new respect for each other, and that's what really matters.
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 10:53am
ive had a gym coach like that once. He kept on talking and will never let me speak. He kind of forced me to join gym. He just kept repeating and staring at you until you feel resigned to agree and get out of this crap. I dont think a forceful coach like his would accept his reasoning

loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 11:29am
So do you just put up with it and be a puppet, or do you stand up for yourself and lay it on the line? Nobody should let others walk all over them. If they do, then they get what they deserve.
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 3:42pm
Since Tabletennis began stars have used their position to make a little money on the side. If you pay him as your coach then I would think that its fair for him to sell you equipment, but you should keep in mind that you are in a business relationship and if he bought the equipment, without your agreement then he was wrong,but you were wrong to pay for it.(If you havent paid for it, didnt ask for it, just give it back because its HIS problem)
However if he is the coach paid by your club, then he shouldnt really be selling to you. He should be coaching you.
We had to get rid of a coach once. Though paid by the club, he only coached those who bought equipment from him.
This seems like a useful lesson learned: great players are not necessarily great people.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 6:07pm

Why is it so difficult for me to chop? is it because of the blade? maybe it has bad control? it's so fast compared to my old blade, I just tried the old blade and every ball drops first on my table and pops to the oppenents table. so strange :P well, I'm having difficulities to chop good because of the control of the blade or is it because i'm yet to develop a good basic technique?

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 6:51pm
I would say it's a combination. Chopping is always a lot harder to perform with faster equipment, but once you get used to the blade/rubbers and the speed you should be able to chop decent, allthough the info about the blade isn't exactly towards a chopping set up.
The holy grail
fiveplyian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveplyian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 6:20am
Sorry you feel so bad but its still not clear why ?

I haven't heard anything bad about this combination but its clearly an offensive set-up for two winged loop attack. The only UK dealer of Killerspin products seems to think they are worthwhile and rates them well for control.

Its a shame if you were made to feel that you had to buy bat to do your coach a favour ........ that shouldn't happen. If you want to chop then it also doesn't sound like best combo ...... but if you are being coached away from that to an attacking game then it may be a good combo.

I coach and I sell equipment so that people can get discounts within the 3 clubs I work with. I make no money on it but love giving people a chance to try things out so they get a good fit and improve their game.

Particularly with blades its hard to tell what people will like so I just let them try blades that I have already bought so they can get a feel for what they like. I only tend to get in All+ to OFF blades of good reputation and refuse to take money until a student has played at least 2 weeks with it. Their first impression is generally a good start point but I want a good long term relationship so I want them to be absolutely sure before money changes hands. 

I probably lost a little money on blades but now that we have a few in circulation I know their strengths and weaknesses and people can try a variety. I have also facilitated swaps when its clear that people haven't got on with their choice and I know someone suitable also looking to change ........ recently arranged a Yasaka Extra and Extra 3d test / and swap between 2 players and they now love their swap (3D is much quicker than Extra). As for rubbers I keep used versions of anything good so people can borrow and try ...... I have gotten use out of them so no big deal.  I tend to stick to 2 manufacturers so I have good knowledge and can find a solution for players.

Rubbers that I think are poor get binned and unwanted blades get covered in antispin and long pips for people to train against. Funnily enough there is always someone who loves a blade that someone else doesn't like even if it sits in the bag for 6 months.

If you don't get on with the blade the coach should at least be able to put you in contact with other players who may be interested.
Ian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 6:22am
if you cant get rid of the bat dont bother about it. keep it until its an antique and sell it to a musuem or just use it to play. if your coach recommends it then it should be decent

forehandchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 6:40am
better trust your coach more than all the people here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 6:44am
not all coaches are good. for example, i am a coach

Diabolosyl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diabolosyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 6:52am
I am a coach to and I also distribute for a distributor in Belgium ;-) but I think this racket seems to be to fast for him.
fiveplyian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveplyian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Diabolosyl Diabolosyl wrote:

I am a coach to and I also distribute for a distributor in Belgium ;-) but I think this racket seems to be to fast for him.

It probably is too fast but I have never used it so ..........

Tend to start my students on Extras, Allplay, Waldner Senso and classic rubbers depending on what they like feel of.
Ian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 6:58am
i am a coach too even if im 13 years old... killerspin kido is meant for kids according to its name, so it shouldnt be too fast

forehandsmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandsmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 7:54am
Overall, Killerspin is a good brand but as yet to prove itself on the international stage against the likes of Butterfly, Nittaku, DHS and so on..
Petr Korbel-FL/Sriver/狂飚 III
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 10:29am

Thanks guys, I guess that here people don't let you use rackets for two weeks, I havn't really tried a bat except for my coach's and other killerspin bat. I just have to know if this racket is faster than the tbs?

forehandsmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandsmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 10:42am
u can go to ur club and ask people to lend u a tbs to hit a few balls yea :)
Petr Korbel-FL/Sriver/狂飚 III
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 1:04pm
Heh guys, I cleared up a table and starting chopping to the wall, does it improve the skill? I feel like i'm improving my technique while i'm doing that.. i'll try the tbs, one guy has it. I still got money in my credit card, so it's my next bat :P
phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by dadab12 dadab12 wrote:

Heh guys, I cleared up a table and starting chopping to the wall, does it improve the skill? I feel like i'm improving my technique while i'm doing that.. i'll try the tbs, one guy has it. I still got money in my credit card, so it's my next bat :P

My friend is a marine and has no one to play with so he would hit against the wall all day to practice, until he found someone to act like a ball machine.

He actually almost upset a 2100 level junior player! hehe, so everything helps I guess in the beginning :)
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 2:43pm
I have used the Nitrix 5Z so I know its a fast spinny rubber, I know a 2000+ player who uses the Kido so its a good racket.  The combo might be fast for you at the begining but stay with it.  If your concern is cost while he did not give you a bargain he did not rip you off either.  In other words its a fair price.  Is it the right blade for you only time will tell.  Now your attitude has a lot to do with how you play.  Give the setup a good try then if its not something you can control get the rid of it, but at least tyr it first you have already spent your money on it.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
dadab12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 3:10pm
thank you, I'm sure trying it. but the reason i'm angry is because my fh side has a nitrx rubber not nitrx 5Z...
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 4:37pm
Ask him to change it.  If he refuses use it as your BH rubber.  Which Nitrix is it?
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic