FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Against Spinny Loop, what to do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Against Spinny Loop, what to do?
    Posted: 11/29/2009 at 12:55am
First - Background:

I'm a beginning/intermediate player. I haven't played in a USATT tournament in over a year. I've spent that time fixing some horribly broken stroke mechanics and focusing on things other than serve and third ball.

One thing that puzzles me; when my US1500-1600 opponents loop with heavy spin, I find that I am much more consistent when actively COUNTERING those shots (using a FH forward drive motion, almost a smash) than when I attempt to passively block.

When blocking, I have to be really accurate precise with the angle to adjust for spin, and the balls I produce are generally slow enough to be attacked. But when countering, it seems like I can overwhelm the spin with forward force and catch my opponent off guard, often winning the point outright, or at least catching them during backswing and leaving an opening (they can't reloop the counter) that produces a weak ball for me to attack.

But recently, a better player (US1800) said that I should focus on blocking spinny loops, before I learn to counter them.

In my head, I know this makes sense (learn to walk, before you can run). But my on table and point percentages against spin-loops (top or side top) are much higher if I actively attack the ball (at maybe 80% of full stroke).

I don't know if it's simply an attitude problem I have or if it's somehow equipment related issue (tacky, hard sponge FH), but teeing off on soft spin focused "euro-style" loops coming from US1500-1600 players is not only easier than learning to block them, but also fairly consistent even in match play.

What's amusing to me is that I can block fast loopdrives just fine for my level. It's not a strength, but it's not a glaring weakness. Spinny loops however are another matter. I have the most trouble when I decide NOT to attack them.

I'm looking for thoughts or advice from higher ability players who have already addressed this gameplay dilemma.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Sponsored Links

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 1:07am
so basically you have problems blocking spinny loops. my guess is that the ball just flies up and far away from the table right? the key with blocks is all with the wrist.

with chinese rubbers (or at least with the ones i use currently) it seems like the blocks are a bit irregular compared to tenergy/bryce speed blocks. when players loops hard and spinny, if i block with those jap rubbers, the speed and spin come right back at them.

but with the chinese rubber block, it's like the ball dies when it comes to spin...pretty much has less spin on the ball unless i do a small swing and spin it back.

just play with your wrist stiffness and blade opening angle. for the most part you can keep it almost vertical (maybe slightly closed) in order to do a casual block.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 1:21am
It's better to attack them..

if you want to block those loops, take it off the bounce with a close angle bat. Loosen your grip to absorb the impact on contact.. give it a positive movement by moving your bat forward to the direction you want to return the ball..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 1:24am
Is it easier to block BH or FH or are they equally difficult?
The correct angle is going to help. One very good lefty senior in my area can give me fits with what's left of his slow loop.
I really have to get over the top of it. Relaxed (soft) hands and a relaxed body & mind may help.

(theory time) maybe adding some small motion to the block will allow the ball to be "neutralized" some small bit.

I know what chugun would say.
I am interested in the other responses you will get.

Good Hitting
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 1:26am
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

It's better to attack them..

if you want to block those loops, take it off the bounce with a close angle bat. Loosen your grip to absorb the impact on contact.. give it a positive movement by moving your bat forward to the direction you want to return the ball..

+1 (i was composing as you wrote)
Thumbs%20Up
yes... loose grip & early
NEXY Lissom st 85g
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 1:33am
Another good tip to add... in addition to adjusting the angle and getting it off the bounce, use your bodies center of gravity to hold down spinny loops.
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 3:52am
You need to learn to block them, your mate is right. To re-loop a strong loop is by far the most difficult shot in the game. And for all intent against a good player it's next to impossible off the first returned loop if you are close to the table, you just wont have time. But if you can block the first one and buy yourself some time to move away from the table, perhaps then you can re-attack. Even then the ball will be dropping down on such a steep angle that its _very_ hard to time your counter loop, it's miles beyond the level I play at.

But there is time enough to block them while close to the table and percentage wise is a much smarter shot, if you can learn to block 3 strong loops in a row consistantly, you will beat almost any club level looper.

Taking a _very_ loose grip on the blade and letting the impact absorb the spin is how you do it. It's not hard once you realise that and 1000 times easier than looping it back

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 4:27am
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

It's better to attack them..if you want to block those loops, take it off the bounce with a close angle bat. Loosen your grip to absorb the impact on contact.. give it a positive movement by moving your bat forward to the direction you want to return the ball..

+2 ..don't use passive block. loose grip slower hand movement, follow through. i am against taking them too early with the kind of rubber you are using. best of luck
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 5:08am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

One thing that puzzles me; when my US1500-1600 opponents loop with heavy spin, I find that I am much more consistent when actively COUNTERING those shots (using a FH forward drive motion, almost a smash) than when I attempt to passively block.

There are a few things to consider here. Firstly, a passive block is a reactive shot, virtually no stroke production is required, so you are reliant on your capability of reading the amout of spin on the ball and co-ordinating this to your bat angle. Its highly likely that if you are miss-reading when you passively block, you are doing the same when you attack the 'heavy topspin' from your compatriots, and i would suggect that the reason you can successfully attack these balls consistently is that they are not as heavily spun as you think, because heavy topspin loop is a quite acceptable tactic to STOP a player hitting. You will have less trouble passively blocking fast loopdrives because it is a purely automatic reaction, you have no time to adjust your bat angle, and it is less of a requirement anyway because fast loopdrives carry less variation of spin and the pace of the incoming ball carries enough energy for you to make a good return without playing a stroke.
What ever anyone tells you, the only way to become accomplished at reading the amount of spin on the ball is to practice/play more and be aware of the fact that to improve, you need to concentrate on improving yr awareness of the opponents input to the ball. You find as you go up the standards, players have a far greater attention to detail, and see the situation far earlier, when it comes to 'reading' their opponents and what they have done to the ball.

No short cuts I'm afraid, but being aware of what you need to concentrate on, helps.Smile
The Older I get, The better I was.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 9:59am
Interesting feedback all.

Note I am not talking about counter looping.

I am successfully countering with an active FH using a hitting stroke with my chinese rubber to go thru the spin (as someone pointed out, it feels like it "neutralizes" heavy topspin and allows me to put just enough to to smash it).

I play Japanese rubber on the backhand and am not comfortable counter hitting loops with it. I just passively block with a loose grip and it works OK (still an area to work on).

The biggest developmental issue I have is that neither of my regular training partners possess a spinny loop (they both drive the ball); the only practice I get is in "for-fun" gameplay at the club, when I a) make a mistake and feed them a deep push to loop or b) when i intentionally set them up to put myself in a position to counter attack.

I'll work on awareness and developing the block. It *should* be the foundation for the counter, and I shouldn't skip a step :D
pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 11:12am
i just skimmed through this and understand that u are haveing trouble with passivly blocking back spinny loops....forgive me if im wrong

but i do know that blade and its not the best at blocking or smashing
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 11:37am
If it's too high arcing just smash it, especially with the forehand it's quite easy. If it's low use a loose wrist and block it off the bounce.
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 1:29pm
I will share my technique to block them. It is a passive block that i do. I do not really know how to make someone understand this without a video but i will give it a shot.

When the ball lands at the table on your side, make sure that your racket takes it off the bounce, with a very very loose write (grip). Once the ball touches the rubber, take your hands back a bit. That dampens the speed on the ball but retains the spin on it. It is almost like sending the same shot back at your opponent. Something similar to what Waldner does when someone is far off from the table and he wants to drop the ball short.
You should really watch a lot of waldner videos and learn from his versatile skill set. He is my idol. I worship him.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Pandaknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pandaknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

If it's too high arcing just smash it, especially with the forehand it's quite easy. If it's low use a loose wrist and block it off the bounce.
+1
Big%20smile
1 Ply Hinoki Club
My Racket
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2009 at 3:39am
Originally posted by Pandaknight Pandaknight wrote:

+1
Big%20smile

hey guys, I think you'll find that the depth of the ball you are 'just smashing' is most important in affecting the consistency of what you are pre-determmining is possible. I use high arcing topspin all the time, as long as its deep, it sucks in players such as yourselves everytime, I certainly don't do it to have the ball smashed past me anyway. TT is a game of percentages, I'll give you a 1-3+ success rate any day.
 What is 'easy' is any ball, short and high above the net, but x10 in difficulty if it is deep.
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2009 at 9:31am

few weeks ago I had troubles with nice high arcing loops. Blocks off the bounce was falling down from my rubber (with high pitched sound from the spinny ball brushing the rubber) and when I waited longer the ball flew away. I did not find the way how to block it effectively. I have never seen so spinny loops, being relatively slow at the same time (produced with long fluent movement of arm and body).

In that case it was better to take the risk and try to kill it. Even with low succes rate.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
stevetaylor6969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevetaylor6969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2009 at 10:20am
its often very tricky especially when opponent
keeps varying the amount of spin
its not easy to do but taking the ball almost off the bounce and
closing the bat angle almost horizontal at times
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2009 at 10:27am
Originally posted by stevetaylor6969 stevetaylor6969 wrote:

its often very tricky especially when opponent
keeps varying the amount of spin
its not easy to do but taking the ball almost off the bounce and
closing the bat angle almost horizontal at times

+1

Welcome aboard UKr stevetaylor6969, grab a seat on the left & hang on.
NEXY Lissom st 85g
stevetaylor6969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevetaylor6969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2009 at 10:43am

Thanks

Shall try my best to hang on

cheers
(still aching like hell from all day Vets tournament yesterday!

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2009 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

+1
Big%20smile

hey guys, I think you'll find that the depth of the ball you are 'just smashing' is most important in affecting the consistency of what you are pre-determmining is possible. I use high arcing topspin all the time, as long as its deep, it sucks in players such as yourselves everytime, I certainly don't do it to have the ball smashed past me anyway. TT is a game of percentages, I'll give you a 1-3+ success rate any day.
 What is 'easy' is any ball, short and high above the net, but x10 in difficulty if it is deep.

yeah I know what you mean, I meant if it's too slow and high then  it can be smashed, but if it's deep and the topspin is very heavy, it's too risky.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2009 at 6:54pm

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

+1
Big%20smile

yeah I know what you mean, I meant if it's too slow and high then  it can be smashed, but if it's deep and the topspin is very heavy, it's too risky.

Thanks for making that point clearTongue
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2009 at 8:00pm
You have a choice at what is more comfortable:

1. Step back and take it at the bottom of it's arc with the stroke of your choice preferably a driving topspin, low loop or chop it but be always ready for the drop shot when you're back.

2. Attack it on the rise with a flick almost looking like a block at what angle you take it would depend on a few variable spin being the most important.

3. Fast push, angle again depends on the ball coming at you.

Won't take the block option since you're uncomfortable with that ...the flick would be close to that stroke.

All that said it all depends on your equipment too as others have mentioned, rubber, sponge and to a lesser degree blade.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by tomas.gt tomas.gt wrote:

few weeks ago I had troubles with nice high arcing loops. Blocks off the bounce was falling down from my rubber (with high pitched sound from the spinny ball brushing the rubber) and when I waited longer the ball flew away. I did not find the way how to block it effectively. I have never seen so spinny loops, being relatively slow at the same time (produced with long fluent movement of arm and body).

In that case it was better to take the risk and try to kill it. Even with low succes rate.

This is what I run into against 2 different players. Very slow, fairly deep (within 6 inches of endline) spin loops.

I simply cannot block them consistently; and when I manage to, it produces a weak ball that can be attacked.

I don't want to re-loop (that's simply too advanced) - but playing the passive block seems like a recipe for failure.

Heck, I feel more comfortable CHOPPING it back deep (at least then I can try to re-use their topspin as underspin and give them fits).

APW - if I understand what you are saying:

-a smash (or fast drive) against this deep very spinny ball is a low percentage shot
-the ones that i succeed at are lower spin
-i need to learn to block them

what sort of block (passive, active, drop shot) should i work on? should i try and re-topspin or produce a deadball with my block?
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 4:38pm
"Against spinny loops what to do?"

Shiver and pray !!
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 4:53pm
relax...

no i mean relax :)

One of the options I do is just relax the hand, literally to the point of blade falling off my hand. That way the spin energy is absorbed by the blade and now I can place the blocked shot.

regardless of what was said,

if the ball is higher than the net. It can be attacked consistantly. People treat lobs like cake shots and that is the furthest from the truth. Treat is as ANY other shot (ie anaylze the spin, direction, speed etc) and make the proper adjustments.
Speed glue, booster, tuner free since 2006!!!
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 5:28pm
hmm.....what about letting the ball bounce about 2 inches up from the table before you try to block it? it'll give you the chance to block and angle the ball down more and not worry about clearing the net as much.

if the ball is a high arc loop like in one of those crazy rallies, then you have no business being close to the table.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 7:04pm
Why don't you just practice with these 1500-1800 players and just let them loop while you block it back? I'm sure you'll find the feel more quickly than us trying to explain the mechanics.

Also, if what you say about your countering being true, then by all means stick with it. More often than not players, even 2000+ ones, are too passive in their block, having been rewarded by it from playing against relatively lower levels players who are likely to miss follow up attacks. If you can make the aggressive block or counter-hit into a point-winning shot, embrace it.
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 2:03pm
We explained how to block them, and a few other shots, but which should be the ultimate goal? Something to strive to be able to do against high level players? Counter hit with great placement? Counter loop? Push block? (I understand it's situational but give me a solid answer)

I play a player with this same style, even opening loops that are extremely spinny with high arc and land on the endline. When I just block them I usually win, when I counterloop we are about even.

I guess what I want to know is how a pro would deal with a slow spinny loop that lands deep when they are still near the table.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 2:22pm
There is a dedicated lesson on the topic on pingskill.com - it may be of some help: http://www.pingskills.com/table-tennis/counter-spinny-topspin.php
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

First - Background:

I think that's because those are SOFT topspins. If instead of countering you try to block them back softly, you actually lose control. You don't have to whack 'em hard but you really need to put you own pace on it. Better players' topspins are more powerful, so when playing them you prolly don't have time to do anything else other than blocking...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic