Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Against Spinny Loop, what to do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Krantz Krantz wrote:

There is a dedicated lesson on the topic on pingskill.com - it may be of some help: http://www.pingskills.com/table-tennis/counter-spinny-topspin.php
Even better. Michael Maze blocking from his butterfly training dvd.

Sponsored Links

Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 2:53pm
Maze and Pingskills vids helped a lot, thanks guys.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 3:00pm
icontek

it really deepends on the other player.

Sometimes I let the rubber do the work. Relaxed wrist.

Other times, I will counter/counter loop it (if my position lets me).

Other times, I will work with the ball to produce something else,

dead ball, side top or side under, take speed away from the ball, add speed etc.

In the end it is dependant on what I see the other player can or can not do.
Speed glue, booster, tuner free since 2006!!!
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 8:30pm

I'm also trying to figure my blocks out. But I find it easier to block with harder blades.

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

First - Background:

I'm a beginning/intermediate player. I haven't played in a USATT tournament in over a year. I've spent that time fixing some horribly broken stroke mechanics and focusing on things other than serve and third ball.

One thing that puzzles me; when my US1500-1600 opponents loop with heavy spin, I find that I am much more consistent when actively COUNTERING those shots (using a FH forward drive motion, almost a smash) than when I attempt to passively block.

When blocking, I have to be really accurate precise with the angle to adjust for spin, and the balls I produce are generally slow enough to be attacked. But when countering, it seems like I can overwhelm the spin with forward force and catch my opponent off guard, often winning the point outright, or at least catching them during backswing and leaving an opening (they can't reloop the counter) that produces a weak ball for me to attack.

But recently, a better player (US1800) said that I should focus on blocking spinny loops, before I learn to counter them.

In my head, I know this makes sense (learn to walk, before you can run). But my on table and point percentages against spin-loops (top or side top) are much higher if I actively attack the ball (at maybe 80% of full stroke).

I don't know if it's simply an attitude problem I have or if it's somehow equipment related issue (tacky, hard sponge FH), but teeing off on soft spin focused "euro-style" loops coming from US1500-1600 players is not only easier than learning to block them, but also fairly consistent even in match play.

What's amusing to me is that I can block fast loopdrives just fine for my level. It's not a strength, but it's not a glaring weakness. Spinny loops however are another matter. I have the most trouble when I decide NOT to attack them.

I'm looking for thoughts or advice from higher ability players who have already addressed this gameplay dilemma.

Lots of people focus on technique, and good advice has been given, but I guess you're not asking HOW to make the proper shot, you're asking whether the US1800 player is right about his "strategy".

Simply put, its good to possess a shot, but US1800 guys' game can be different to yours. If I were in your shoes, I would listen, but make your own decision on how from now on you will deal with this spinny incoming loop. Remember, its YOUR GAME and you have to develop your own strengths.

If your opponent has problems reloading the spinny loop, I would not hesitate to crush the ball with a fast flat hit, especially if you can do so repetitively and consistently. Now, the next level, is being able to control the placement on the same shot.

Lets take a look at the next step. Lets say your opponent becomes getting comfortable with your fast flat hit and learns to block it. Now, you have to change the pace or placement. This is where your finesse must come in and again, you'll have to go back to the drawing board to figure out what is your next step.

Don't hesitate to shape your game yourself. You're the soldier, the field general, and the intelligence officer all in one man. You have the power to shape your own game. Use it!!!!
Back to table tennis...
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 11:48pm
block with a closed angle as what the others say and brush it a lil bit forward
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Facepalm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Facepalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2010 at 12:32am
http://www.youtube.com/user/pingskills#p/u/5/ORfCiNf8mWk

Hope that helps!
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2010 at 12:58am
yea if you're dealing with a spinny loop and you're still close to the table, i would punch block off the bounce. that would be the aggressive choice. but if you're not consistent then the angle block is best.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2010 at 5:51am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Originally posted by Pandaknight Pandaknight wrote:

Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

If it's too high arcing�just smash it, especially with the forehand it's quite easy. If it's low use a loose wrist and block it off the bounce.

+1
Big%20smile

�hey guys, I think you'll find that the depth of the ball you are 'just smashing' is most important in affecting the consistency of what you are pre-determmining is possible. I use high arcing topspin all the time, as long as its deep, it sucks in players such as yourselves everytime,�I certainly don't do it to have the ball smashed past me anyway. TT is a game of percentages, I'll give you a 1-3+ success rate any day.

�What is 'easy' is any ball, short and high above the net, but x10
in difficulty if it is deep.

I agree with most of this... The more one plays against someone who does this the better you get against it. I play regularly against someone who does this as well, but also mixes it up and can lob and fish remarkably well. The way I have gotten better is by having a loose but agressive off the bounce block, I can convert the ball back to a very nice block... He can punish me if I crowd the table so I stay aware that he can go wide to FH or BH (less frequent because I block well here from repeated hammering away at me). Anyway, I just keep making him keep the pressure on me and look for an opening or try to block to the corner he is furthest from. Main thing is to play anyone who can help you block loops or heavy topspin FH... Most people should like this cause they get to hit.

Years ago I was lucky enough to get coaching from a former Swedish womens team member... All I learned was warm up fh and bh and blocking from her ... But it helped my game tremendously. I agree that only lots of practice will help this and I think blocking is a CRUCIAL part of TT.
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic