Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Almost Closed: Tommy Finally Hits the Ball!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2008 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by holda holda wrote:

tommy,good to hear you are recovering well.congratulations and good luck!

Thanks Bro. It might not seem like much watching my short video, but that last shot was a BIG breakthrough. I actually smacked the ball with some authority. I decided to post it because I wanted to share this with my fellow member buddies. Now it's time to build on that and start taking points left, right, and center. I do need to hit more . . . get more snap into it and I will. In the near future I hope to post up a longer video of a game or training in search of suggestions.

:-).
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

LinkyParky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinkyParky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2008 at 11:19pm
what can i say....good luck.thebest 
DHS Blade Hurricane H-WL
DHS Hurricane2
DHS Hurricane3

Looking forward to replace with Joola Green Energy!
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2008 at 11:39pm
ClapClap
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

. . . after undergoing shoulder reconstruction surgery a few months ago. I've got a long way to go, but it felt good to finally whack one. Maybe my new buzz cut hairdo helped my aerodynamics. Anyway, you'll notice I play a modified Seemiller (Windshield Wiper) style and have a push-block drive kind of style. Hopefully, I will be able to develop that more of a short powerful STROKE!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4JzvO9Raijk
looking good.vicious hits!ClapClap
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 12:19am
Thanks Holda!!! I'm getting there. The last shot really felt good. I need to build on that, adding more snap, crackle, and pop!
gulca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 12:54am
I noticed your paddle is mostly pointing upwards. Would this be a disadvantage taking a low short ball (above the table)?

I think taking the ball as close to the bounce as possible would give the fastest return (given the same swing). The thing is it will be hard keeping the ball inside the table.

I think a good coach is someone who knows the limit of your playing style and push you towards that limit. Not someone who thinks there is only 1 true playing style and force you to abandon your style.

Keep us posted with your progress Tommy Clap

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:10am
gulca, taking the ball on the short hop has been one of my strengths. If I'm playing well I don't give players time to recoil. I do frustrate shakehand players more because they are usually loopers and have the weakness at the elbows. The paddle straight up has been one of my biggest questions. It allows me to take balls hit directly at me and punch them back fast and I can tilt the blade to my left (or right for the short balls; however, I often bash the bottom of the handle into the edge of the table, or worse . . . my knuckles. This is one of the reasons I tried to use cpen. I should mention that for years I used a cpen blade with my grip. That might be another reason why I'm crashing into the table a lot. Maybe I'll start cutting them down. :-). I agree with you on coaching. Sadly, almost every time I get advice from one the first discussion is changing me to shakehand.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 2:00am
NICE fierce attack, the timing + sidespin here would definitely give me problems tzai!  Your game will only get better as you recover after surgery; take the time you need to recover but it looks like the surgery is a success.

I think you guys will have a blast playing in China!

Fashion inquiry: where did you get that shirt?  It's nice!
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 2:10am
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

NICE fierce attack, the timing + sidespin here would definitely give me problems tzai!  Your game will only get better as you recover after surgery; take the time you need to recover but it looks like the surgery is a success.

lovely,chronos!fashion inquiry-i should take some esl lessons from you sometimes..where are my rubbers,man?i am getting nervous over here...even worse,anxious
Jon2378 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon2378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 9:58am

I may not be a 2400 level player, but under 1700s run when they see me. 

tommy.. i don't think you're 1700

when you hit, you should start at the height of the ball instead of starting lower, raising your bat, then hitting the ball

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement Chronos. For the first couple months after surgery I was really worried I wouldn't play again. That's one of the reasons this silly little clip is so important to me and I posted it. It's not supposed to demonstrate my amazing skills, ready to win a world championship or show my level, which based on who I've beat and lost to in the past year is about a modest and humble 1600-1700. It's just to share this breakthough with friends like you.

It'd be great to you in person and hit the ball around a little. I plan to visit my family in NY this April or May before going to China. Let's keep in touch.

BTW, that's a Ekko polo shirt. I gave the shorts away yesterday. Everytime I wore them out I got looks like I was one of the members of the Village People. :-).
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:07pm
Jon, You're not being nice, but to your credit you recognized that you were unkind and edited your comments.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:12pm
Actually, one guy in my club plays the same style. His ranking is about 1300. But some of 2000 ranking player avoid to play him since they could not beat him easily. He put too much side spin which could cause trouble to a lot of people.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:14pm
Try TSP Curl P3R (not P1R) in 0.5 sponge. Your stroke in the video make the attackers nuts. That is a very good stroke - do it with variations of spin,  various spots on the table and fast as possible. Occassionally give one on the table close to your opponents belly Angry He will remember that shot for ever.

I don't have TSP P3R in stock - will arrive within 2 to 3 weeks. I think P1R OX is in stock, but I prefer P3R for you.
sbd1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:18pm
Good job and great effort Tommy.Hope to see you soon in San Diego.
Regards,
Borko&Son

***Power is Nothing Without Control***
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:18pm
oh,just red the last messages-i know what you mean,tommy.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

Actually, one guy in my club plays the same style. His ranking is about 1300. But some of 2000 ranking player avoid to play him since they could not beat him easily. He put too much side spin which could cause trouble to a lot of people.

YES!! Most loopers don't want to make the adjustment to hit with players like me, but I like playing them. It's just not fair!! :-). But for some reason I can lose to a 1200 level player who hits short little spinny shots and beat a high level player who hits rockets. I have a long way to go!!
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:33pm
Thanks Borko,
I'll get down there later this summer. I heard your club is one of the best in the USA. I might bring everything, including my little Chinese girl, and look for a job! :-).
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:34pm
Thanks Borko,
I'll get down there later this summer. I look forward to spending time with you and visiting your club. I heard it's one of the best in the USA. I might bring everything, including my little Chinese girl, and look for a job! :-).
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:36pm
Your stroke will suit an Anti rubber very much..
Am not kidding..  
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

Your stroke will suit an Anti rubber very much..
Am not kidding..

I wished I didn't sell that Nittaku Anti. it was thin, light, and very slippery. I didn't even try it. :-(. Varghese suggests long pips, but I never could hit well with it . . . sending floaters off the table. Maybe I should give anti a try on the BH/secondary side. That will probably take time to learn how to use it effectively. I'm also thinking I should go with a harder tackier Chinese rubber on the FH/Primary side, but for now I'll stick with Sriver. A lot of high level players block well with it so . . .
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

Try TSP Curl P3R (not P1R) in 0.5 sponge. Your stroke in the video make the attackers nuts. That is a very good stroke - do it with variations of spin,  various spots on the table and fast as possible. Occassionally give one on the table close to your opponents belly Angry He will remember that shot for ever.

I don't have TSP P3R in stock - will arrive within 2 to 3 weeks. I think P1R OX is in stock, but I prefer P3R for you.

Much appreciated with advice, suggestion, and encouragement. I'm glad I posted my little clip. I will try to make another one . . . longer one soon and ask for more feedback. Hopefully, I'll be able to let it all hang out! Approve
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:50pm
You can't beat blocking with Anti T-Zai.. You will feel none of the incoming spin..
You can try Chinese tacky rubber/Anti combination and twiddle.. Serve with a tacky Chinese rubber, and when your opponent starts looping on the FH, just twiddle your bat and block with the anti.. many will send their loops to the net or off the table all the time..
Joola Tony Hold is a good Anti rubber..

655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 1:55pm
tommy seeing you play was in inspiration
i love playing people with unorthodox styles, I MUST PLAY YOU!
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 2:13pm
Hey can anyone explain to me what the level 1700 means, does it mean you are ranked 1700 in the United States? and if so how good is a ranking of 1700, say... local club champion? of a small city? or better than that? not that good? or is there any link on youtube of a serious match between players in the 1500-2000 level so I can get an idea
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

tommy seeing you play was in inspiration
i love playing people with unorthodox styles, I MUST PLAY YOU!

THANKS MY FRIEND!! You inspired me and I'm smiling. I'm glad you can see value in what I'm doing and not comparing my style and technique to proper shakehand form. One, I cannot physically do it. My body is too F%@*ed up. Two, I like playing Seemiller style. It's fast and fun and comfortable for me. I'd love to play with you and my other friends on here. We can all learn from each other. I'll post more vids soon that I expose more of my game, asking for feedback.
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 8:01pm
you did it fine.I am sure that is more difficult for you after your surgery...I also have a problem with my leg a couple of months now and I can't do all the strokes properly,but I just cannot stop playingSmile...I wish that you will be in perfect health as soon as possible...
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by johnny89atc johnny89atc wrote:

you did it fine.I am sure that is more difficult for you after your surgery...I also have a problem with my leg a couple of months now and I can't do all the strokes properly,but I just cannot stop playingSmile...I wish that you will be in perfect health as soon as possible...

Thanks Johnny,
Much appreciated. This clip would be no big deal for most intermediate players, but for me it's the beginning of my comeback. My shoulder was basically reattached, but I also have a disability from a broken neck years back. BUT, I am on the way up now and there is NO stopping me. I'll post up my progress along the way and hopefully our member won't mind giving me constructive advice and encouragement. I would do the same for anyone or you guys too!
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 8:37pm
I will be waiting for your vids tommyzai...keep up the good work!
Jon2378 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon2378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 10:06pm

2. You don't know what you're talking about, mate! Your advice does not apply to me. I play a different style.
3. Anyone who ever read a post by me knows my words are mostly meant to be fun. In truth, higher level players run from me because I play an unorthodox style that throws off their rhythm. Even in victory they leave the table a little frustrated that they were not able to, "start at the height of the ball instead of starting lower, raising your bat, then hitting the ball."
Sincerely,
Tommy

i think you'll find that i do know what im talking about and that advice does apply to you.

unlike you, better players will actually generally spin the ball, rather than hitting flat and through it, so they want to start at the height of the ball

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2008 at 10:18pm
Jon, I agree with everything you just wrote except for the additional dig about "unlike you, better players. . . "

I'm trying to find the words to smooth this over, but you keep insulting me. Am I misunderstanding? Am I being too sensitive? What did I ever do to you? What set you off? That wasn't your sister I dated in Sydney was it?

There is no one right way. There are all different styles. If you learn more about Seemiller you would realize that I'm a respectable intermediate level player in that style. I'm not a beginner as you suggest, and it's insulting to me that you suggest such. Get reconstuctive surgery, film yourself hitting, then post up and we'll talk more. I never claimed to be great. I continue to claim an intermediate level with lots of room for improvement. If you study my little clip you'd see there is spin on the ball. I am NOT flat hitting. It's just that I am so fast you can't see it. LOL. Weoooooooooo. I'm still willing to work out these harsh exchange of words, but please show me a little respect. This post was merely an announcement to my friends that I can finally play again. It wasn't intended to be a display of my glorious skills. I'm highlighting one shot that indicated I can hit again!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic