Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Applying what you practiced?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Messerschmitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Messerschmitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Applying what you practiced?
    Posted: 05/26/2007 at 7:12am
  Hello all I am a relatively new player. I started out with training from day 1 with drills. I get very frustrated because I know my form and foot work get thrown off during matches. My opponents often give me balls that I easily loop, push, flip, hit, or block in practice, but in a game I miss them. I would also like to mention that I am always up against players who are way better. Most of the people I play are from 1700 to 2000.

My question to everyone is: How can I transfer what I learn in practice to be applied in a game??
Sponsored Links

rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2007 at 4:05pm
you can't expect to be hitting shots against way superior just like you do in practise....

anyways, if you wanna lift your game to a higher level, you need to do drills where your opponent doesnt play the ball regularly, but where your opponent will play one of two pre-determined places, thats the best way to get match form with drills.
Thats the main problem ALOT of players have in Denmark at least, their strokes look awesome when they are doing drills, and know where the ball is coming, but when it comes to matches against a clever opponent who knows how to spread the play around the table, they get owned cuz they are used to knowing where the ball will hit.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2007 at 5:12pm
You have to apply what you do in practice in games, many times you will lose games. But it will be worth it. Don't play to win. 
easyfiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyfiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2007 at 11:51pm

There is a huge problem with applying what you practice. What you practice may not be applicable.

Last weekend I played a tournament and I felt in good form. I beat a couple of very strong players and made it to the semi finals. In practice I had been working on my backhand loop a lot and felt very comfortable with it. But then the guy in the semifinals did something different.

He caught me many times by pushing or serving short to my forehand and then pushing heavy bottom spin long down the line to my backhand.

The problem was that I don't practice this particular sequence. I don't practice moving in for a short push and then moving out against a heavy long push .

Now that's not to say I missed my backhand loop. But my backhand loop was of poor quality and he either blocked it quick off the bounce or attacked it. After my backhand was fairly strong the rest of the day, I was disappointed in this match. 

When you step back and look at the big picture, you need to understand whether you are truly practicing match condition scenarios. If you aren't then you have a problem. You can't focus on individual shots. You need to focus on match patterns to become a more effective player.

I think it's important to mix in match condition scenarios as soon as possible in the development of a player.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic