FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Blade For Medium Pips Noobie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spin Meister View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Meister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade For Medium Pips Noobie
    Posted: 08/10/2022 at 11:40am
Hi,

I'm a long pips players,.. Sometime back, a club-m8, gave me a used sheet of Dr. Neubauer K.O Pro 1.5mm, saying that it's too fast for him .. It's been lying with me for a while, and now, I'm thinking of trying it out ..

I've tried-out MPs before, borrowing MP setups from other players.. I've tried Pluto 1.5 on a Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon, and also Yinhe Pluto with Donic Ultra Senso .. I remember finding both quite fast (on the MP side), and not easy to control..

I'm looking for suggestions on what (type of) blade to glue the K.O Pro onto.. To start-off with, I'd like the setup to have good control, on all type of strokes (pushing, blocking, and even opening against backspin) .. With blocking, I will start-off with passive blocking, and then when I am used to MPs, I will move on to more active blocking.. 

I'm thinking of a a blade in the ALL+ to OFF- range, with a stiff feel. The blade has to be light-weight, since I have just recovered from a wrist injury..

Low-cost, yet effective blade suggestion, for the above requirements, would be much appreciated..

Sponsored Links

kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2022 at 12:00pm
Neubauer KO is a really difficult to master half long pimple rubber....one of the most difficult ones IMO
I would never recommend this rubber for a newbie.
This one is very disruptive but it really lacks on control....

Regarding the blade, a Balsa 3.5 from TSP (or Victas) is a good choice.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Meister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2022 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Neubauer KO is a really difficult to master half long pimple rubber....one of the most difficult ones IMO
I would never recommend this rubber for a newbie.
This one is very disruptive but it really lacks on control....

Yes, I've heard many players say that K.O is difficult to use,  but I'm willing to put in the time and effort to get the hang of it.. 

Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Regarding the blade, a Balsa 3.5 from TSP (or Victas) is a good choice.

I was thinking on the same lines, but TSP Balsa 4.5 or 5.5.. However, where I am, availability of TSP/Vistas products is a big issue... Getting is shipped from online stores such as TT11 etc is not feasible due to the high import duties.. 
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Meister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2022 at 6:15am
Any other suggestions ? 
Omut View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2022 at 7:36am
KO 1.5 is not hard to use, but it is much faster then regular long pips rubber. It will require several months get used to KO speed if you train at least once a week. KO is not the fastest one among MP/SPs, so if you can control any fast pips the switch will be much easier.

I suggest the slowest blade for more confidence while your adjust reflexes. My opinion that KO is not very sensitive to blade choice, so you may still use your normal blade.

If you have problems with control but really eager to tame KO I suggest 0.6/1.0 thick version first. Beware! If you switch to KO you will lose reflexes to play long pips.

The control of KO is very good and disruption effect is very strong (while it is very different from long pips disruption). The complexity of playing MPs is because of opportunities you have and selecting the best from many possible shots. You can chops block, passive block and pressed closed block. You can attack any kind of spin. With fast blade you can punch lethally any kind of ball.

Opponent will be under pressure and play more passively then usual but it will be less unforced errors he gives up that long pips usually bring. So you will need to have a way to punish opponents safe play and force point win by yourself.

Edited by Omut - 08/11/2022 at 8:05am
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Meister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2022 at 9:22am
Thanks Omut .. So far, your reply has been the most insightful. 

Originally posted by Omut Omut wrote:

KO 1.5 is not hard to use, but it is much faster then regular long pips rubber. It will require several months get used to KO speed if you train at least once a week. KO is not the fastest one among MP/SPs, so if you can control any fast pips the switch will be much easier.

Yes, I've heard this from several sources, both online, and offline.. No worries, I'm willing to put in the time and effort..

Originally posted by Om Om wrote:

I suggest the slowest blade for more confidence while your adjust reflexes. My opinion that KO is not very sensitive to blade choice, so you may still use your normal blade.

Yes, I'm thinking on the same lines... An ALL+ to OFF- medium-stiff blade with medium bounce.. 

I have a friendship C-5, that seems to check most boxes.. Maybe, I'll give that a shot.. I also have a good ol' Stiga Allround.. It's not stiff though.. 

If you have problems with control but really eager to tame KO I suggest 0.6/1.0 thick version first.
I got this 1.5mm sheet free, which is why I'm starting off with this.. Once I start playing, and like it, I'll get an idea of what thickness would work better for me, and then, I'll buy that

Beware! If you switch to KO you will lose reflexes to play long pips.

Sorry, I did not follow this .. What do you mean, when you say I you will lose reflexes to play long pips

The control of KO is very good and disruption effect is very strong (while it is very different from long pips disruption). The complexity of playing MPs is because of opportunities you have and selecting the best from many possible shots. You can chops block, passive block and pressed closed block. You can attack any kind of spin. With fast blade you can punch lethally any kind of ball.

Yes, so I've heard and seen... which is why I'm eager to try it out.. 

Opponent will be under pressure and play more passively then usual but it will be less unforced errors he gives up that long pips usually bring. So you will need to have a way to punish opponents safe play and force point win by yourself.

Yes, I try to do the same with my LP  - Use LP to setup, for inverted finish.. I can also twiddle, and play with inverted (almost every type of stroke, except heavy BH loop/top-spin).

Omut View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2022 at 11:49am
I do not follow the reason why your want to buy a new blade for a used sheet of not very expensive rubber. I personally consistent with my rubber choice and periodically try new blades and while all blades feel different they do not actually matter much in match result and rating points.

Either you want to change equipment because you hope it will more efficient for your style or do not waste your time. If you want to reduce training time for adaptation to new class of rubbers I suggest to try thinner rubber first rather then change the blade because this my personal experience of switching from LPs.

My reason to try and to keep playing with KO because BH is my dominant side and I want to open and finish most game points with BH without twiddling or without FH pivoting.

> What do you mean, when you say I you will lose reflexes to play long pips
Imagine you twiddle your racket to inverted side and try to play with it. How  your BH wiil perform? Very poorly, unless your constantly train twiddling. BTW If you twiddle then IMO it is better to keep your long pips because contract between two rubbers will be more disruptive.

I played with Dornenglanz ox for 10 years. After a half year of constant playing with KO I cannot just take my old DG racket and play scored match anymore. Everything feels alien, balls simply do not reach the net. Not much time will probably require to return technique for using long pips again but I do not want waste my tennis time for it.
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2022 at 2:52pm

I do not follow the reason why your want to buy a new blade for a used sheet of not very expensive rubber. I personally consistent with my rubber choice and periodically try new blades and while all blades feel different they do not actually matter much in match result and rating points.

I think you misunderstand - My first option would be to use a blade, I already have, which is why I asked if Stiga Allround Classic, or 729 C-5 would work, since I already have both these, and neither have any rubbers on them, at the moment. 

Someone told me that a stiff OFF- blade works best with Medium Pips. Sadly, from the existing collection, I have either DEF+ , All+ blade or OFF+, or OFF++ blades..None are OFF- and stiff.. which is why I thought I'd buy an inexpensive one,  if the ones I have won't do for Medium Pips.

Either you want to change equipment because you hope it will more efficient for your style or do not waste your time. If you want to reduce training time for adaptation to new class of rubbers I suggest to try thinner rubber first rather then change the blade because this my personal experience of switching from LPs.

Yes, I agree that, it would be better if I start-off with a Thinner sponge, and typically that's what I would do.. However, I already have K.O 1.5mm now... What if I remove the sponge, and start off with K.O in OX ?

> What do you mean, when you say I you will lose reflexes to play long pips
Imagine you twiddle your racket to inverted side and try to play with it. How  your BH wiil perform? Very poorly, unless your constantly train twiddling. BTW If you twiddle then IMO it is better to keep your long pips because contract between two rubbers will be more disruptive.

Before moving to LP (3 years back), I played double-inverted, with an above average BH .. Infact, even now, I feel I can block against power-loopers, better with inverted on the BH, than with LP.

Yes, I've been twiddling for a while now.. I twiddle to jab, block, push (to generate spin and variation), and also hit, and flick.. I cannot hit with LP very consistently .. I've tried MP, and play with setups of club m8s, every now-n-then, and I feel, I can hit  better with MP (as compared to LP), which is one of the reason it's so appealing to me.. 
Omut View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2022 at 6:58pm
Quote Yes, I agree that, it would be better if I start-off with a Thinner sponge, and typically that's what I would do.. However, I already have K.O 1.5mm now... What if I remove the sponge, and start off with K.O in OX ?
If you want my opinion I think the main strength of MP/SP is in sponge. Hardbat rubbers are toothless.

Quote Before moving to LP (3 years back), I played double-inverted, with an above average BH .. Infact, even now, I feel I can block against power-loopers, better with inverted on the BH, than with LP.

Yes, I've been twiddling for a while now.. I twiddle to jab, block, push (to generate spin and variation), and also hit, and flick.. I cannot hit with LP very consistently .. I've tried MP, and play with setups of club m8s, every now-n-then, and I feel, I can hit  better with MP (as compared to LP), which is one of the reason it's so appealing to me.. 
If you fine to play with fast rubbers on BH, then you can play KO on any blade. As I said KO is not very sensitive to blade softness or hardness, stiffness or flex, fastness or slowness. Try first then second and compare you feelings. Better feel will follow better results later.

I personally always try new rubbers on my current blade. And new blades with my current rubbers. This make tests more meaningful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic