Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BLADE SEALER ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
longreachlooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BLADE SEALER ?
    Posted: 06/23/2007 at 10:06am
Yeah, I'm a "pro player" wannabe,

can you tell me the best way to SEAL a blade?

In "my day" I could loop loops with the "pros", kinda....

Sponsored Links

Madbrazilian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madbrazilian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2007 at 12:34pm
hairspray works pretty well. 
Killerspin Diamond TX ST
Killerspin Forza 4z 2.1 both sides
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2007 at 10:16pm
Some people say that some types of wood do not need to be sealed. However, rather than taking a risk on expensive blades, I seal all my blades (lightly) with wood varnish. I never tried clear lacquer spray paint, so far I tried Polyurethane, wood varnish and hairspray. I think hairspray is too light and I am afraid it does not give sufficient bonding strength, so I do not use it anymore, but it could be just something in my mind. From what I read in this forum everybody seems to be happy also with hairspray.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2007 at 12:30pm
A few months ago I asked the same question and one of our members gave me answer. On my next post I will reveal what I now know to be the absolute BEST!!!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2007 at 12:34pm
But first . . .

DO NOT USE HAIRSPRAY. I tried it on a dozen blades. Yes, it will help, but it's way too light and comes off too easily . . . and usually unevenly. Why use a homestyle remedy anyway? Do you live so far from civilization that you can't get to a hardware store? Sorry for the sarcassm, but what I thought was a convenient way to seal my blades no longer makes sense to me. *If Hairspray works for you then it works for you. My disclaimer . . . it didn't work for me in the long-run and believe me . . . I wanted it to work!

One time I put several painstaking coats of hairspray on an expensive 5-ply wood blade and It looked very pretty, but somehow a drop of water landed on it. I quickly blotted it off, but it made a hole through all those lovely layers of hairspray. I tried spot-filling. NO LUCK. I had to remove all the hairspray with rubbing alcohol and start over. YIKES!!!! Luckily, the stuff comes off easily.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2007 at 12:34pm
I highly recommend using . . .
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2007 at 12:49pm
VARATHANE DIAMOND INTERIOR WOOD FINISH-SATIN (not gloss)-#2002-61.

*Prepare blade first. If you have to lightly sand, do it carefully with a fine guage sponge sanding block. Do not round off blade edges. Use rubbing alcohol to clean. Let dry (a few minutes). Now you're ready . . .

1. Stir Can well without shaking (causes air bubbles).
2. Dip the corner (twisted or folded up a little) of clean, dry cotton cloth* and quickly rub the sealer into the blade and with a technique that covers evenly. I go in circles starting at the center of the face of the blade and work my way to the outter edges, then wipe along the side edge (perimeter) of the blade where the edge tape will go, then quickly return to the face of the blade to wipe off any spill over from the edge sealing with some light vertical strokes from handle out over top of blade. You might want to stroke a nice even level line across the top of the handle where the bottom edge of the rubber will go; however, I think it looks better and strenthens the blade to seal the wings/shoulder. Some prefer to use a sponge or china bristle brush when applying, but that leaves a heavy coat and/or streaks of sealant. THAT IS NO GOOD. The trick is to rub the sealant INTO the blade, then gently wipe off the excess with the cloth. Some use a good quality paper towel. Basically, use whatever is clean and doesn't leave link or fuzz stuck in the wet sealant.
3. Wait two hours, then polish with a clean dry cloth.
4. Repeat.
5. Repeat a third or forth time ONLY if the blade is like bare porous wood (I have over sealed and made a mess. My blade looked like an over protected night table . . . hard as a rock). Luckily, I managed to fix this by sanding with a fine gauge wet sanding sponge and it took hours to repair my disaster. But only do this if you mess up, which you shouldn't.
6. Wait 24-hours.
7. Affix your rubbers! I use glue sheets and NEVER get splinters when removing!!!!!!

*Use a cotton cloth that will not leave lint of fall apart and get stuck to your wet sealer. I use an old pair of 100% cotton boxer shorts. :-).

I don't remember who turned me on to this Sealer, but it was on this site. My hats off to him/her. I added the boxer shorts.

20070624_194331_Varathane.gif
priior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2007 at 6:31pm
do you seal the perimeter part? like where the ribbon would go. (i dont use the ribbon)
priior
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2007 at 6:35pm
Oh, how silly of me to leave this out! I added to my suggestion above.

YES, I especially seal the side where the edge tape goes. That area is the easiest to splinter or cut/slice when trimming the rubber you just glued on. If you seal the side well it is MUCH easier to cut around the edge with a Xacto Knife or scizzor. But, after sealing the side you need to use a good edge tape that sticks well. Many of the cheap Chinese Christmas ribbon junk barely hold onto bare wood . . . no way it will affix to a sealed edge. You can fix this problem by using a drop of Super Glue on the ends and maybe a drop here and there along the way. When removing later you'll be okay because you sealed it! I recommend the Yasaka 9mm Mark V edge tape. It's cheap, looks good (red+black, not purple) cloth-based, and sticks well!!! The YinHe 9mm red+black stuff looks even better, but will need the Super Glue. It's plasticy and doesn't stick. I'm not sure about the Butterfly, Donic, and other . . .

All the best!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2007 at 6:47pm

Thanks people.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2007 at 6:49pm
:-).
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2007 at 7:44pm
I uploaded a pic of the Varathane!
creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2007 at 2:31pm
that seems like too much work i just keep a can of hairspray in my bag the cheapest can of arosal hair spray and spray quik layer on each time i glue and rub it in with my hand it works just fine
if table tennis is to sports, what star wars is to movies, then you must be chewbacca.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2007 at 3:53pm
There's nothing wrong with using hairspray, but in my opinion it's not as effective at protecting your blade. I only want to seal a blade ONCE and be done. For that reason I don't mind taking my time and using top quality stuff, especially since I'm buying blades I don't want to lose. When I assemble a cheapie I'll use whatever is convenient because I don't expect the blade life to excede the rubber life. I'm not trying to slam you Creeder . . . whatever works for you is great. It's all good if you're able to affix your rubbers and get them off without wrecking your blade.
creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2007 at 5:58pm

no offense taken everyone has their own method on alot of things

if table tennis is to sports, what star wars is to movies, then you must be chewbacca.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2007 at 6:15pm

for me, I just appy generous amount/ 1 layer of  Joola Varnish let my blade sit/stand there n dry.

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2007 at 6:23pm
Tiehwen, how do you apply the Joola?
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2007 at 6:30pm
All the best!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2007 at 6:46pm
ok thanks alot, I think I got the idea.

Smile
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2007 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Tiehwen, how do you apply the Joola?
as per the instructions on the label but i do need my magnifying/reading glasses to read tho' Big%20smile
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2007 at 7:34pm
Well, I threw my glasses out. I look much better in the mirror without them.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2007 at 7:35pm
Hey, the g666 is a great rubber. Try the TG2 when you get a chance and compare . . . and if/when you do . . . let me know what you think.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic