Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BLADES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
destroyer spin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote destroyer spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BLADES
    Posted: 01/03/2007 at 8:55am

which weight of blade do you think is better for off table close to table:

heavy blade(90-95g)

or

medium blade(85g)?

what are differences between medium and heavy blades?

Sponsored Links

agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2007 at 9:23am

Generally lighter weight blades are quicker to move so better for close to the table.  Heavier blades give more stability for blocking and provide more power away from the table. 

Really though, whether you choose a heavy or light blade depends a lot on the weight of your rubber as the combined weight of 2 sheets of inverted rubber can vary from 70 grams to 120 grams.  If you include pips, there can be even more variation.  So total racket weight is more important than blade weight alone.

-- Andrew

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 12:12am

Although I fully agree with what Andrew said, I think the wieght comes down to personal preference. If you like light blades, I'm sure you can find one for any style, and similarly for heavy blades.

The materials and construction determine what style the blade is suitable for, the weight is secondary...

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 12:20am
The stronger you are the heavier the blade you can play well with, and generally heavier blades are better. I find that although light blades can be fast they lack penetrating power that a heavier blade has. That is to say the ability to go through an opponent's block by pure force, a definite plus for any third ball attack.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 3:32am
you can be more consistent with heavier blades then light blades.
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 8:37am
moved from heavy blade to light aching arm problem disappeared
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 9:40am
Originally posted by firetack firetack wrote:

moved from heavy blade to light aching arm problem disappeared

The same thing with me. My pain disappear after I use light blade. So, if you don't have problem with pain in your arm, then you have a choice between light and heavy blade. Otherwise, you will have to join the light blade clan.
My blade is 72 grams (without rubber).
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

zerowings007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerowings007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 10:28am
The total weight for the setup is different for each individual, as long as no aching arm problem.

That is the correct total weight.
kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 1:12pm

Originally posted by zerowings007 zerowings007 wrote:

The total weight for the setup is different for each individual, as long as no aching arm problem.

That is the correct total weight.

In my opinion, I have to disagree. What happens if you find the perfect setup for all your shots but its to heavy and there is an aching arm problem at the end ? The solution is to do some weights and get your arm stronger........ Look at a picture of Wang Liqin working out, hes huge!

No doubt a hurricane on both sides must weigh a bomb but for him, its a perfect setup and therefore hes become stronger so he can use it......He didn't just swap blades because his arm ached.

The total weight is negligable, even if your armaches after 50 shots and those 50 shots all go on, make your arm stronger.

Gatien Extra
FH: Hurricane Provincial
BH: Palio CJ800 Speed

Special thick glue
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 7:10pm
You are also correct, provided that we have the extra time to do the exercise for the arm.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 1:27am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

You are also correct, provided that we have the extra time to do the exercise for the arm.

pushups in the morning, pushups in the evening? 20 mins max per day and you'll develop arm and should strength?
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 1:43am
Forget it, curls and triceps extensions on the playing arm only, together with lying dumbell presses and bent-over rowing with that arm - that'll save you some time
Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 3:06pm
dansari good recommendation,also flexibility exsercises might be useful along with strengthening to avoid chance of injury as muscle becomes more dense i.e stretching repetition
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 5:32pm
lol if you only work out one arm you'll be out of balance. all athletes tone both sides so its balanced.
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 6:30pm
I was just joking, of course. Hence the emoticon.
Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic