Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Pace vs. Fang Bo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brian Pace vs. Fang Bo
    Posted: 11/29/2011 at 10:12pm

Sponsored Links

LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2011 at 10:36pm
I'm sure Fang Bo can play better than this? Doesn't seem like the same Fang Bo that I see on youtube. He seems disinterested and makes many careless mistakes. I know some USATT 1800 players that could probably give him a run for his money.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2011 at 11:09pm
R u kidding LGL? A disinterested Fang Bo still beat a 2400+ Brian Pace. Imagine if he was interested and played all out.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
ikaros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikaros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2011 at 11:36pm
damn look at that corkscrew backhand flip at 4:21 how the hell you attack that lol
Galaxy Yinhe W6 penhold
Fh: Yasaka Rakza 7 2.0
Bh: Butterfly Cermet 2.1
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2011 at 11:38pm
Interesting match, it seems like Fang Bo really forces Brian to decide between decisive play, and early play - there isn't a major ingredient of deception to any of these balls, just heavy spin and not much time to react?  Brian plays very early timing on a lot of points (especially serve return, how many underspin balls did he net), but isn't decisive enough, and also makes mistakes when he waits too long to return.  There are other ways to punish less decisive returns, but the game doesn't reach that stage.  The constant timing disruption means Fang also never gets into a rhythm - when Brian plays the right timing he wins the point - but it secures an easy win.  Both players are far beyond my level but I think these factors apply at all levels whenever there's an overall imbalance, Brian played quite well under the circumstances.   
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2011 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by LGL_fan LGL_fan wrote:

I'm sure Fang Bo can play better than this? Doesn't seem like the same Fang Bo that I see on youtube. He seems disinterested and makes many careless mistakes. I know some USATT 1800 players that could probably give him a run for his money.

Sorry, but anyone who can toy with Brian Pace that way would likely crush the greatest US1800 player of all time with scores like 11-1, 11-2-, 11-0.

I've never seen Brian so uncomfortable and rattled, but lack the understanding of that level game to point out exactly why Fang Bo's returns gave him so much trouble.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
ikaros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikaros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2011 at 11:41pm
Interesting how a well placed and spiny serve can dictated the pace of the game
Galaxy Yinhe W6 penhold
Fh: Yasaka Rakza 7 2.0
Bh: Butterfly Cermet 2.1
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 12:09am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Sorry, but anyone who can toy with Brian Pace that way would likely crush the greatest US1800 player of all time with scores like 11-1, 11-2-, 11-0.

I've never seen Brian so uncomfortable and rattled, but lack the understanding of that level game to point out exactly why Fang Bo's returns gave him so much trouble.

beat me to it, icontec. That was kind of humiliating to Brian Pace actually. Fang Bo was just messing around and refused to loop. He just pushed and lobbed from very low.

Give Fang Bo a run for his money.. LGL is smoking the good stuff
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 12:24am

game becomes beautiful when the opponent plays beautiful.

it is the same when one wins with lps and people say 'that game had nothing'. can not chop like joo if the other player can not loop as a high level player. in fact below 1,800 there is little chop. just pop ups and mistakes.

EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 12:30am
Not humiliating at all.  When you watch the pros play they're evenly matched - the result is fireworks.  But when there's a small amount of leverage either way it becomes a lot more tactical.
McLovin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McLovin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 12:56am
These 2 aren't even playing the same sport
LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 12:59am
Well Brian Pace at one point was a US2500 player, but here he could not even return common backspin serves and hits slow topspin returns into the net. I just don't understand it. This doesn't look like anything resembling 2000+ rated play. Fang Bo's attacks don't look too strong here either.

Edited by LGL_fan - 11/30/2011 at 1:01am
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:07am
Fang Bo is on the CNT's B-team, right?
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:08am

You seem to not understand just how low 1800 is compared to either of these guys, I'm positive either of them could beat an 1800 player 11-1 or better more often than not, even though this match had no point to be played at 100% there was still a lot of work on the ball
ttplayer92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:09am
Fang Bo has defeated the likes of Timo Boll etc, hence the nervous shots by Brian. I have to say that Fang did look like he was messing around but Brian did have some good serves. Fang's mizutani serve looked like it gave Brian a lot of trouble and just from observing the video, I cannot understand why.
Butterfly Viscaria
FH Globe 999 National
BH Xiom Vega Pro
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:11am

Well Brian Pace at one point was a US2500 player, but here he could not even return common backspin serves and hits slow topspin returns into the net. I just don't understand it. This doesn't look like anything resembling 2000+ rated play. Fang Bo's attacks don't look too strong here either.

Nothing against Brian Pace but comparing him to Fang Bo is like comparing apples to oranges. In the U.S. Pace is a great player and even better a great guy who cares a lot about the sport here. But Fang is at a whole different level, USATT 2500 is nothing for a player of his caliber.
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:18am
i see Brian ..where's pace?
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:19am
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:20am
The USATT scale is not linear. I think it's a log scale, so the gap between 1800 and 2000 is much smaller than the gap from 2300 to 2500 in terms of skill level. I think the highest rating anyone ever had was 2950+ and that was KLH if I remember correctly when he played a tournament here.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:25am
The easiest way to explain how difficult a very high level player is to play against, just try to think about playing the first really tricky LP player you played and how you were bamboozled by the weird spin, bounce and pace on the ball that all disrupted your timing and thoughts in general. 

That's exactly how it is playing a high level inverted player, you can if you are good enough vary the ball extreme amounts with inverted and do it exactly how you want, thus giving the next ball you are about to receive a high degree of predictability. Plus they have much better and faster over the table games to punish that next ball which they already know where and what height it will be from the moment they hit it the point before. Plus they have a powerful long range game to fall back on if they need it. An 1800 guy feels like that playing me, just like I would playing playing Brian Pace just like he does against the guys the next level up, just like Fang would to a lesser degree against Ma long

ocvillager View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocvillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:26am
from this video, it clearlys hows Fang was just messing around. He never serveed this lng serve during internation tourneys and just look at his receiving form, you can tell he's just taking it easy.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

http://ratingscentral.com/Player.php?PlayerID=24371
vs

=====================================================

No wonder Fang Bo did not play seriously, there was no need to.
skip3119
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:33am
Yes. Difference in 600 RC points is a serious gap.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:53am
Originally posted by TheRobot99 TheRobot99 wrote:

The USATT scale is not linear. I think it's a log scale, so the gap between 1800 and 2000 is much smaller than the gap from 2300 to 2500 in terms of skill level. I think the highest rating anyone ever had was 2950+ and that was KLH if I remember correctly when he played a tournament here.

Na, it's pretty linear.  Points are exchanged only based on ratings differentials, not on the players' absolute ratings.  It only seems like 2500 and 2300 are closer than 1800 and 2000 because it becomes difficult to eyeball how good a person as levels go up, but 2300 don't beat 2500's any more often than 1800s beating 2000s.  For example, if you didn't know the head-to-head records, does Wang Hao's game look unbeatable compared to Mizutani Jun's?
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 2:37am

wow, judging based on a video. here we go again, why don't you show us your vid? you don't know the spin on those balls, placement and timing of it.

go and look for one of the MyTT members - pushblocker, Olivier Mader on youtube. might enlighten you a little bit.....please, "it looks like", oh, god....
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
zshark View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 4:24am
can anyone tell me what rubber on the backhand side of bryan paceSmile ?
Current Setup
Stradivarius FL
FH XiOM Vega PRO Max
BH XiOM Vega EUROPE Max
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 4:28am
Originally posted by zshark zshark wrote:

can anyone tell me what rubber on the backhand side of bryan paceSmile ?

Some sort of short pips...
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 4:55am
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Originally posted by TheRobot99 TheRobot99 wrote:

Na, it's pretty linear.  Points are exchanged only based on ratings differentials, not on the players' absolute ratings.  It only seems like 2500 and 2300 are closer than 1800 and 2000 because it becomes difficult to eyeball how good a person as levels go up, but 2300 don't beat 2500's any more often than 1800s beating 2000s.  For example, if you didn't know the head-to-head records, does Wang Hao's game look unbeatable compared to Mizutani Jun's?

The USATT scale cannot be perfectly linear; you are right in saying that points are exchanged on rating differentials, but that really only applies to rated players who play many matches. Statistics is really only a reliable predictor when it involves a very large number of trials. Unrated players throw off the system. Extremely good players also pose a problem to the scale; above a certain level (let's say ~2600), there are so few players with that rating range that the initial rating is often inaccurate in reflecting upon playing ability. Hypothetically, if a foreign player plays a tournament and creams all the top U.S. players rated 2600-2700 3-0/4-0, his rating would be a total stab in the dark. Since he didn't have any losses, or play anyone near his level, it is hard to accurately gauge his true playing level with a numerical rating. Sure, they could assign him 2900 or something. But does that mean his skill compared to a 2700 is the same as the skill of a 2000 compared to an 1800? Not really. In my opinion, the USATT scale is relatively linear, but it becomes unpredictable as you approach the upper limits of the ratings scale and there are fewer established players with those ratings. 
Viscaria
T05/T64
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 6:18am
What was the score by the way? I have a feeling that it was 3-0 or 4-0. maybe 6's and 7's Very calm and relaxed performace. No need to use lots of energy just win then onto the next round. With the standard gap being that large I'm feeling that Fan Bo is just getting the job done. That's not taking anything away from BP at all as he gave it 110%.

As for an 1800 rated player giving a top 100 (guess) world class pro a good run for his money I doubt it very much.

ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 6:20am
I can see that people who have not played competitively against the pros (top or even semi-pros) have no idea how good they are.

The scary thing isn't that Fang Bo has so much more on every shot (serve , push etc.) and can handle anything that Pace throws at him with ease.

The scary thing is that there are so many "divisions" even amongst international / top league players through to the very best.

Fang Bo would thrash the guy who thrashes the guy who thrashes the guy who thrashes the guy who thrashes the guy who thrashes Brian Pace, if you know what I mean Smile.

When you play someone that much better than you, you have to play more powerfully than normal (otherwise your shots have zero effect) off way more difficult balls than you are used to facing. That means you miss everything, get totally stressed and when the opponent gives you something easy to be kind, you miss it anyway because your head is scrambled.

And that's why I say that people don't understand how good the top guys are. And why I smile at how much importance people attach to what equipment the pros are using when deciding on what they should use.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic