Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Pace vs. Fang Bo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
capablanca8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 11:05pm
Are the full tournament results posted anywhere?  Thanks.

Edited by capablanca8 - 11/30/2011 at 11:05pm
Sponsored Links

amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

According to the ITTF Mexico is not part of North America.
========================================

Is Mexico considered to be Central America?

ITTF only distinguishes between "North America" and "Latin America"; each has its own continental federation.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 11:06pm

They have a continent called "Latin America" at the United nations of ITTF, where they have dumped anyone non white, Mexico is part of that
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

They have a continent called "Latin America" at the United nations of ITTF, where they have dumped anyone non white, Mexico is part of that

Latin America has to do with the Latin language. Nothing to do with being white or not.

19 countries including Mexico. It is right.

Edited by ejmaster - 11/30/2011 at 11:19pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 3:28am
Lets put Spain and Portugal in Latin America then :D. If it's about language why is Belize, Haiti, Jamaica etc in Latin America. Greenland might be officially part of the North American land mass but it's culture has nothing to do with it. Mexico is officially part of North America AND practically one and the same place as the Southern US in terms of culture, language and history. Anyway I'm just sticking up for the Mexicans since this is a touchy subject and the ITTF should know better than to exclude them from the North American section
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 4:54am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

The problem is some players don't want their opponent's teammate to be a score flipper.  Although the scorer is not an umpire, sometimes, they get asked about let serves, questionable edge balls, did you see this or that?, etc.  Obviously, you don't want your opponent's teammate assisting in those calls as there is bias involved.

And yet that's exactly how 98% of the league matches played in Europe are umpired. It works because the teams take turns keeping score. Oh, and because club players in Europe generally value sportsmanship and fairness.

Actually, here's Fang Bo himself keeping score for Zhang Chao against a very good Japanese player (five games!) - anyone know him?

Absolutely agree with you.  That's the way it should be done in the U.S. but for some reason, it isn't.

You can start by not insulting players who umpire matches by calling them score flippers or scorekeepers. From they sit in that chair, they are umpires as they are now in control of the match. They are performing the main umpire role which is to ensure accuracy and fairness.

Edited by Tinykin_2 - 12/01/2011 at 5:41am
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 8:13am
Originally posted by martian22 martian22 wrote:

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Does anybody find it weird all those people were sitting behind the match but no one got off their ass to go and umpire?
Thats what I thought. Do they keep score themselves?
yes me 3 , I would just go and umpire, also a way of getting the best view
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 8:28am
Originally posted by dabookerman dabookerman wrote:

It is crazy how Fang Bo & all are so far beyond a level that we can even comprehend.  Look at how he nonchalantly flicks away one of Peter's serves at 2:00.  It's like every now and then he reminds you of just who you are playing...

I'd love to hear Brian's thoughts on what it was like to face Fang Bo.  
I thought that if Peter improved his backhand (flick corkscrew) by getting closer to the ball he would have put more pressure on.
 From those games (many thanks to the posters) I wouldn't say Fang was a top 10 in the World player, but maybe he wasn't pushed so in the top 120 in the World or so, from what I could see
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

The problem is some players don't want their opponent's teammate to be a score flipper.  Although the scorer is not an umpire, sometimes, they get asked about let serves, questionable edge balls, did you see this or that?, etc.  Obviously, you don't want your opponent's teammate assisting in those calls as there is bias involved.

And yet that's exactly how 98% of the league matches played in Europe are umpired. It works because the teams take turns keeping score. Oh, and because club players in Europe generally value sportsmanship and fairness.

Actually, here's Fang Bo himself keeping score for Zhang Chao against a very good Japanese player (five games!) - anyone know him?

Absolutely agree with you.  That's the way it should be done in the U.S. but for some reason, it isn't.

You can start by not insulting players who umpire matches by calling them score flippers or scorekeepers. From they sit in that chair, they are umpires as they are now in control of the match. They are performing the main umpire role which is to ensure accuracy and fairness.

And you can start by not clenching your butt cheeks too much.  You might hurt yourself.  I've done score flipping duties before without being an umpire so like Frankie says... Relax.

For "actual" umpiring, here in the U.S., this is actually something you can request in tournaments.  You get a real live certified umpire and not your opponent's dad.
notgood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 10:22am

I didn't see anyone else answer this, but maybe I missed it.  I believe the Japanese guy is staying with Samson Dubina to help him train.  I remember in October Samson was looking to get someone to stay with him for ~1 month to help him train.  Then I saw him at Highland Indiana tournament, in November, with this guy. 

I don't have confirmation, but the word at the tournament was that this guy is ranked in the top 16 in Japan.  Again, I'm not sure about that, but he 4-0 everyone he played at Highland and played Zhang Chao very tough...so maybe it is true.
Viscaria
Vega Pro
Hammond Pro Beta
smiths9312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiths9312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 11:01am
Not to mention on just how frustrating it is when you realize you are outclassed in a match. You give your best stuff, and the guy goes all the way to the back barrier and somehow lobs it back on the table.  And the serves?  A little mental arithmetic will tell you that you HAVE to get 100% of your serves if you are losing nearly every one of their serves.  Then you start trying too hard and hitting them into the net etc.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 11:39am
Yes! Fang Bo had to try at least a little bit against Wang Zhen. LOL Thanks Bogeyhunter!

amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 11:46am
Here's a longer one:

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 12:08pm
just out of curiosity, what do fang bo and wang zhen use? if anyone knows.
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 1:55pm
Does anyone know the results of Team finals, just who beat whom (no need for scores)?
Just a short summary will be great.
skip3119
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

fang bo uses stiga clipper with some blue sponged Hurricane 3 on the forehand, not sure about backhand. wang zhen uses a butterfly timo boll zlc with h3 on the forehand, and tenergy 05 on the backhand
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 2:39pm
fang bo uses stiga clipper with some blue sponged Hurricane 3 on the forehand, not sure about backhand. wang zhen uses a butterfly timo boll zlc with h3 on the forehand, and tenergy 05 on the backhand.
====================================================

What rubber that Wang Wei uses - FH & BH?
Thanks.
skip3119
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 2:54pm
I got this one Smile

FH H3 with blue sponge
BH TSP 1.5 shot pips
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 2:58pm
it doesn't really matter what rubber these guys play with...they would be great with whatever they played with.  Just curious...but do you guys ask so you can go out and buy the same rubber and maybe play like they do?  Good luck with that if that's the intent. 
It's kind of funny...but several of the better chinese players I know at our club can tell you what all the top chinese players play with, but I've never given it much thought.  I guess I'm a little curious sometimes but I've found rubber that I like and I know I just have to keep trying to improve my technique rather than go out and buy the same equipment some of the top players use.  IMHO.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 3:11pm
do you guys ask so you can go out and buy the same rubber and maybe play like they do?  Good luck with that if that's the intent. 
=====================================================
 One has got to be crazy to do that.
---------------------------------------------

Knowing the rubber (smooth, short-pip, or long-pip), one can analyze the strokes better, or appreciate the strokes better.

Also one can assess the opponent's reaction better.
--------------------------------------------

A block from a smooth rubber or a long-pips rubber - the ball come to you will be very different.
(Same for the chop.)
skip3119
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

I guess I'm a little curious sometimes but I've found rubber that I like and I know I just have to keep trying to improve my technique rather than go out and buy the same equipment some of the top players use.  IMHO.

I like that attitude...
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
ttcyfi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcyfi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 8:57pm
I've said this before and I'll say it again, Wang Zhen is amazing!
GO MUSTANGS!
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

fang bo uses stiga clipper with some blue sponged Hurricane 3 on the forehand, not sure about backhand. wang zhen uses a butterfly timo boll zlc with h3 on the forehand, and tenergy 05 on the backhand

Thanks! I was just thinking about maybe trying 7-ply for a change and was thinking Clipper as an  inexpensive choice.
Addicted-to-TT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addicted-to-TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 9:16pm

it doesn't really matter what rubber these guys play with...they would be great with whatever they played with.  Just curious...but do you guys ask so you can go out and buy the same rubber and maybe play like they do?  Good luck with that if that's the intent. 
It's kind of funny...but several of the better chinese players I know at our club can tell you what all the top chinese players play with, but I've never given it much thought.  I guess I'm a little curious sometimes but I've found rubber that I like and I know I just have to keep trying to improve my technique rather than go out and buy the same equipment some of the top players use.  IMHO.

We can all dream can't we. Whats funny is I read alot of advice about watch the pros and imulate a style you like or resemble. So we get the blade and rubbers he uses and the same people who gave the advice roll their eyes and snicker at us (newbys) like were idiots. I'm smart enough to know I'll never play like the pro but I like to think that equiptment puts me one step closer.
Sanwei
BH acuda s2
FH te 05

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2011 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Addicted-to-TT Addicted-to-TT wrote:

We can all dream can't we. Whats funny is I read alot of advice about watch the pros and imulate a style you like or resemble. So we get the blade and rubbers he uses and the same people who gave the advice roll their eyes and snicker at us (newbys) like were idiots. I'm smart enough to know I'll never play like the pro but I like to think that equiptment puts me one step closer.

well said, brother!
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
KleinesDickesAilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KleinesDickesAilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 2:28am

So how come you don't play Bty Timo Boll ALC/ZLC/Z-what-the-heck paired with H3/T05/T64? Instead, according to your signature, you play with equipment that none of the pro's I know uses.
Kugelblitz
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 2:35am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

well said, brother!

Thumbs Up

most people knows the importance of training. just think about using max thickness. 
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 3:27am

Actually I think it makes a lot of sense to watch the pros and emulate their strokes and footwork; in this way you are "knowing what right looks like". I often advise new players to get on youtube and watch the pingskill videos and even to watch the pros, so they know what the strokes should look like. I highlight to them that if their ping pong journey only encompasses their practice and observation at the rec center, they're sure to pick up all kinds of bad habits by copying things that seem to work for other players (things that only work against other players who would be rated about 1100 and below).

Anyway, much more practical for us to be copying the pros in terms of play rather than equipment.
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 10:27am
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

[QUOTE=AcudaDave]it doesn't really matter what rubber these guys play with...they would be great with whatever they played with.  Just curious...but do you guys ask so you can go out and buy the same rubber and maybe play like they do?  Good luck with that if that's the intent. 

We can all dream can't we. Whats funny is I read alot of advice about watch the pros and imulate a style you like or resemble. So we get the blade and rubbers he uses and the same people who gave the advice roll their eyes and snicker at us (newbys) like were idiots.

I'm smart enough to know I'll never play like the pro but I like to think that equiptment puts me one step closer.

My point is I don't think playing with the same equipment does get you any step closer...if anything it will probably make it harder for you to improve because the equipment is too advanced for many beginner - intermediate players.  If you're an advanced player then maybe it might help, but I've seen too many beginners to intermediates playing with Tenergy on a superfast carbon blade to know it's not a good idea to try and play with the same equipment they do.  If I started playing Golf I wouldn't go out and buy the same clubs Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson plays with...I'd talk to some good players and find out what they recommend for me starting out...or if I've been playing for a while and want to move up to a better set of clubs I'd ask some club pros what they recommend. Playing with the equipment the pros play is too advanced for beginners to intermediate players because the equipment is too fast to control.  When those players started out playing in China...their coaches didn't hand them an advanced racket.  They started out with a racket that was much slower and just learned proper strokes/footwork. 
Thumbs Up

most people knows the importance of training. just think about using max thickness. 
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
notgood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2011 at 10:59am

Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

[QUOTE=AcudaDave]it doesn't really matter what rubber these guys play with...they would be great with whatever they played with.  Just curious...but do you guys ask so you can go out and buy the same rubber and maybe play like they do?  Good luck with that if that's the intent. 

We can all dream can't we. Whats funny is I read alot of advice about watch the pros and imulate a style you like or resemble. So we get the blade and rubbers he uses and the same people who gave the advice roll their eyes and snicker at us (newbys) like were idiots.

I'm smart enough to know I'll never play like the pro but I like to think that equiptment puts me one step closer.

My point is I don't think playing with the same equipment does get you any step closer...if anything it will probably make it harder for you to improve because the equipment is too advanced for many beginner - intermediate players.  If you're an advanced player then maybe it might help, but I've seen too many beginners to intermediates playing with Tenergy on a superfast carbon blade to know it's not a good idea to try and play with the same equipment they do.  If I started playing Golf I wouldn't go out and buy the same clubs Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson plays with...I'd talk to some good players and find out what they recommend for me starting out...or if I've been playing for a while and want to move up to a better set of clubs I'd ask some club pros what they recommend. Playing with the equipment the pros play is too advanced for beginners to intermediate players because the equipment is too fast to control.  When those players started out playing in China...their coaches didn't hand them an advanced racket.  They started out with a racket that was much slower and just learned proper strokes/footwork. 
Thumbs Up

I'm not sure it is always recommended to start out with slower equipment.  I remember reading an article about what Cheng YingHua suggested that his students start playing with.  He actually suggested that they start out with an offensive setup because they would eventually have to get used to it...so why not start getting used to it early (This may be because he knows that he is training all out attackers).

I was looking for the article, but couldn't find it.  I thought it was on Butterfly's website because he suggested their equipment.  I believe he had them starting with Iolite and maybe Bryce, or one of the more popular rubbers at the time (might have been before Tenergy).
Viscaria
Vega Pro
Hammond Pro Beta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic