Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing to Chinese Forehand - Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing to Chinese Forehand - Advice
    Posted: 11/14/2010 at 4:28pm
I want to develop a more aggressive "over-the-table" attack game and from what I hear, Chinese rubber is supposed to be just the thing I am looking for. However, when I asked some people for advice, mainly Eric Owens and a few good Chinese players from where I am from, they told me it is not worth the change because it takes "many years" of learning a completely different technique.

I have changed my technique quite a few times over the past few years and do not understand why it would be so hard to change to a Chinese rubber. Any advice please? Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 4:47pm
Well, I am certainly no expert, but here's what I've learned in my attempt to emulate "Chinese technique":

The kinematic chain of the Chinese stroke is quite different than other approaches. (I know there are those here that would argue with me, but I will politely ignore them. As far as I can tell, it's just a simple fact.) Anyway, you'll therefore pretty much have to start over in many ways--from basic counter hitting to "advanced" loop kills, etc.

It requires much more footwork, which is an ongoing challenge in TT anyway, no matter what style you are trying to emulate. So basically take one of the toughest things to master in table tennis (footwork) and then implement a style that is more demanding in that regard than most other styles.

It requires taking the ball earlier off the bounce, meaning at the apex or even on the rise. This requires a different set of reflexes than what you might be used to (i.e., much faster reflexes) and a whole new timing. Timing is something that's often learned implicitly rather than explicitly, so it will feel awkward for a long time. You will get worse before you get better. Patience/perseverance are requisite.

There are probably other things I could think of, but I think you get the idea.

You may be quite capable of making the change, of course. I have no idea what your athleticism is like, your patience, or your ability to adapt. You may be fine. I'm just saying there is more involved than just switching rubbers and few minor details of your stroke. A coach knowledgeable in this style is strongly suggested, if not mandatory.

Still, not everyone who uses Chinese rubber utilizes flawless Chinese technique. The only way you'll really know if you want to switch is to get a sheet of hard tacky rubber on your FH and hit around with it for a couple months to really try to understand its characteristics.

A final caveat: I'm not a high level player (probably US 1500-1600). I've read a lot, talked to a lot of Chinese players, I study a lot of pro matches, and I've taken some lessons in my life. But I'm not anyone "special" in the world of competitive table tennis. So take my words with a grain of salt. This is just stuff I've picked up in my 3 or so years of compulsively studying Chinese table tennis.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 5:15pm
That is what I figured as well. I am around 6 feet tall, 175 lbs. and try to play a forehand dominated style with Euro rubber, so I train footwork a lot. I like looping over the table, but with a soft Euro rubber, this can be very risky. Basically, what I think, is that I would sacrifice speed and consistency to gain spin and an advantage in counter looping near the table. Wang Liqin and plenty of tall Chinese players can do it, so it is not impossible for a person my height to play this style. I guess the only way to find out is to slap on a sheet of H3 Neo Provincial and check it out.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by cls2222 cls2222 wrote:

That is what I figured as well. I am around 6 feet tall, 175 lbs. and try to play a forehand dominated style with Euro rubber, so I train footwork a lot. I like looping over the table, but with a soft Euro rubber, this can be very risky. Basically, what I think, is that I would sacrifice speed and consistency to gain spin and an advantage in counter looping near the table. Wang Liqin and plenty of tall Chinese players can do it, so it is not impossible for a person my height to play this style. I guess the only way to find out is to slap on a sheet of H3 Neo Provincial and check it out.

I'm going to look like a crack dealer here, based on some other threads, but might I suggest Palio Thor's?

It's a harder, tacky rubber; however, it is also a tensor (made by ESN). It really plays like a hybrid between Chinese and Euro/Jpn rubbers, in my opinion. Excellent spin (with the proper technique)... and I'm talking excellent. Great speed, faster than most hard tacky rubbers. Great control and very nice feel. It's $35 so it's not cheap, but it's not the $70 you'd pay for "other" rubbers. Wink

It sounds like we have similar styles of play (though you may be much better than I). I try to emulate the Chinese style too. I'm sure I do it poorly, but I'm also tall and skinny (6'2" and 175). WLQ is kind of a TT "idol" to me, simply because of his build and style. Smile

cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 10:02pm
I guess I could try that rubber out, but I already ordered a sheet of H3 Neo provincial so I'll check that out first. But despite everything said about strokes and rubber, the biggest problem, by far, is having adequate footwork. I remember that the first time I recorded myself playing, I thought i was going to be moving quite fast because in my mind I was playing like Ryu Seung Min looping everything with the forehand lol, but when I actually saw myself, it looked more like Samsonov in slow motion. Many people criticize Seiya Kishikawa or Kim Jung Hoon for being fat and not playing very fast, but if they record themselves playing and compare their footwork with the latter players, then they truly realize how extreme footwork in table tennis is and how much training the pros have to go through to get to that kind of speed. 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 10:25pm

I guess I could try that rubber out, but I already ordered a sheet of H3 Neo provincial so I'll check that out first. But despite everything said about strokes and rubber, the biggest problem, by far, is having adequate footwork. I remember that the first time I recorded myself playing, I thought i was going to be moving quite fast because in my mind I was playing like Ryu Seung Min looping everything with the forehand lol, but when I actually saw myself, it looked more like Samsonov in slow motion. Many people criticize Seiya Kishikawa or Kim Jung Hoon for being fat and not playing very fast, but if they record themselves playing and compare their footwork with the latter players, then they truly realize how extreme footwork in table tennis is and how much training the pros have to go through to get to that kind of speed. 

Oh man... it's just painful to record myself playing. I too have the feeling of playing like a pro, with my strokes crisp and my footwork light and efficient. Then I watch myself and I look like a turd... an awkward turd. Embarrassed

But nonetheless, recording yourself is a good learning tool. A painful one, but a good one. Big smile

Anyway, if you don't like Neo H3, I do suggest Thor's before you give up on tacky rubber. It will likely help your transition since it's kind of a hybrid.

Good luck!

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 10:50pm
My training partner uses H3 2.2, regular ol' commercial, on a galaxy wood king (like ludeak fleet).  He has solid technique but nothing particularly 'chinese' - plays the full spectrum of loops from spinny brush loops, to loop drives.  His game is great, easily 1800 and he's adamant about using h3 and getting his strokes correct.  Really inspirational.  Moving to a tacky rubber might require a stiffer, faster blade, and you'll have to work harder, but you'll see the advantages quickly and can decide from there.  Immediate benefit comes in the service, attacking underspin, and playing short.  Blocking will suffer.  Away from the table you'll have less power unless you're using one of the new generation tacky rubbers.  Only other drawback is in feeling - hard topsheet and sponge gives less feedback in the hand.  Try it and see what you think.

cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 10:59pm
That's precisely why Chinese players have the biggest strokes and fastest footwork to get to the ball before it drops too low. Many players just use Chinese rubbers solely because the best Chinese national players use them. You have to be an extreme athlete with great footwork technique to play a Chinese style effectively. That's pretty much what I know about a real Chinese style lol
rand111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rand111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 11:13pm
Yeah I gotta agree with what everyone says about footwork. It takes a lot of practice too. I play chinese style loop with penhold, and if I don't practice footwork a lot, my game suffers tremendously. I try to maintain my footwork through jump roping and interval running a few times a week.
friendship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 10:06am

I want to develop a more aggressive "over-the-table" attack game and from what I hear, Chinese rubber is supposed to be just the thing I am looking for. However, when I asked some people for advice, mainly Eric Owens and a few good Chinese players from where I am from, they told me it is not worth the change because it takes "many years" of learning a completely different technique.

I have changed my technique quite a few times over the past few years and do not understand why it would be so hard to change to a Chinese rubber. Any advice please? Thanks.

there are many quite good chinese rubbers made for close to the table play, which don't require chinese type FH at all
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 1:33pm
I am aware that there are Euro Japanese rubbers, as well as Chinese rubbers developed for over-the-table, or off-of-the-bounce attack, such as Tenergy 25, LKT Torrent, BW2, but the main point I am considering Chinese rubber for is that it is much easier to "grab" the ball over the table with the rubber than it is with a non-tacky Euro, Japanese rubber, such as Tenergy 05 or Donic Acuda S2, which I am currently using. Schlager, Ovtcharov, and Suss found a solution to this problem by developing very powerful flip shots, but those "flip kills" they use easily take them off position. For example, check out the European Championship match between Par Gerell and Dimitrij Ovtcharov or Michael Maze vs. Werner Schlager; these matches show the disadvantages and advantages of these "flip kills." Dima would flip the ball very fast with his backhand and 60% percent of the time he would he would get the point, but the other 40% Par Gerell would place deep to his backhand, forcing Dima to make a weak chop or lob because he was not in position. Schlager has to use his entire body to make his notorious flip smash and that gets him out of position quite badly, however, his placement of the flip smash usually takes the opponent by surprise, so Schlager gets the point most of the time; it is a very risky tactic that requires a lot of experience and great footwork.

My point with this comparison is that using a Chinese rubber to loop over the table will not get you out of position as badly as making a crazy "flip kill" shot like the latter European players. Getting comfortable with using the Chinese rubber to make these shots is what will take a great deal of practice, however.

Edited by cls2222 - 11/15/2010 at 1:36pm
Ashes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 2:12pm
I've been playing tt hardcore for about a year now. In all this time I tried lots of equipment, but had a chinese rubber as primary fh rubber. I studied lots of pros. Watched games in slow motion over and over, watched all training videos I could get my hands on, many times, practiced in front of the mirror etc. I read every article I could get my hands on... so my theoretical knowledge of the game is way higher than my skill level. I can tell you that the technique is quite different (euro vs chinese), and if my footwork is not up, I miss lots of easy shots. But on a normal day, no other rubber can match what chinese hard and tacky rubbers can do. People say you lose the feel but I say that if you practice long enough, you will actually feel more with chinese than with euro. You can clearly feel the ball spin and bury in the rubber and sponge. With slow, short movements you can impart lots of spin, but the best thing about them is grabbing the ball and releasing it wherever you want. Service is awesome!

I would recommend chinese rubbers (mostly dhs) to anyone serious about this game. But keep in mind that I only play seriously for about a year (3-4 hours 5-6 days a week) and therefore I'm not a coach or pro player by any means.
Blade: YEO FH: H3P BH: Pryde 40
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 2:46pm
Record yourself with a camera and you will be able to recognize your problems and correct them much more effectively. 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 5:47pm

There are two ways of looking at this. If you are serious about your game, best take the advice given by the above, its correct IMO from the angle these guys look at TT. OR... do what the hell you like, its your life.
The Older I get, The better I was.
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

There are two ways of looking at this. If you are serious about your game, best take the advice given by the above, its correct IMO from the angle these guys look at TT. OR... do what the hell you like, its your life.

Was I ever obligated to do anything? "Do whatever the hell you want" is like saying f*** off, just in case you do not understand that.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 7:22pm

Was I ever obligated to do anything? "Do whatever the hell you want" is like saying f*** off, just in case you do not understand that.
 No sorry, it was not meant to reflect that feeling at all. You are not obliged to do anything, that is my point, Do what you wish, be free, but if you wish to take advice, you have already done it through such well respected players as Eric Owens. It seems to me, you have asked the question, and been given the answer that you do not like, so you have come on this forum to get the answer you DO like, I'm sure there are many that will give you it, but I won't, no need for WW3.
What you have to work out is the best option for you, Eric Owens, The Chinese players you mention, Mine (that's three) or fish around and wait for an answer that suits you, then take that one as a good advice. As I say 'do what the hell you want'
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 7:25pm
using chinese rubbers forces you to do the proper techniques unlike using euro/jpn rubbers that the rubber assist you in your strokes. the first and most important skill in using a chinese rubber is that you need to learn how to do light contact with proper brushing on the ball.. usually, the ball doesnt go through the sponge unlike euro/jpb rubbers
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 8:02pm

No sorry, it was not meant to reflect that feeling at all. You are not obliged to do anything, that is my point, Do what you wish, be free, but if you wish to take advice, you have already done it through such well respected players as Eric Owens. It seems to me, you have asked the question, and been given the answer that you do not like, so you have come on this forum to get the answer you DO like, I'm sure there are many that will give you it, but I won't, no need for WW3.
What you have to work out is the best option for you, Eric Owens, The Chinese players you mention, Mine (that's three) or fish around and wait for an answer that suits you, then take that one as a good advice. As I say 'do what the hell you want'

I did not get an explanation from any of these players, just some quick advice. I wanted some insight and received some good information from several members on the forum. The reason I started this thread was for some information, not an answer I "DO like." I don't know how you interpreted my thread this way, but it is not the reason I am asking a question.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 8:06pm
cls2222: Don't take offense to what APW said. He just meant, as he explains, that you shouldn't put too much pressure on yourself by trying to constrain your playing to just one rigid style. I think he means, "Do whatever you want as long as you have fun." Very few of us (probably none) are going pro, so focusing too much on emulating a certain style is not a good idea if it's unrealistic or stress-inducing.

APW is a high level player in the UK and a great coach. He means well so if there is ever any ambiguity in his statements, or even perceived "grumpiness", don't take it personally. Smile

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 11:59pm
Here's my

TL;DR report for APW's post
1) Eric and the Chinese guys and APW are serious players
2) You will progress faster if you build on what you know,
3) but that may not be the point
4) If your goal is to just have fun, do it

Speaking of fun:
My club has a former US1600 player who got bored of shakehand (IIRC) and decided that he would spend the last ten years learning JPEN, CPEN and even V-Grip. And in addition to the strokes, he adopted the tactics of each style. Now, he frequently changes grips during points and hits some really interesting shots. And while he only plays about US1000-1200 these days, he can do a lot more cool things than he could 10 years ago (greater service variety, RPB, surprise shots from different angles by changing to another grip, etc. etc).

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 12:58am

Why not just go buy a sheet of Chinese rubber, put it on your blade and see for yourself.  It's not a very expensive experiment.  I don't think it will take very long to figure out that what Eric and those other guys was telling you is pretty much completely true.  I tried it once for the hell of it.  After literally three minutes I tore the stuff off my blade and reglued my Bryce.  That was back when we could still speed-glue.  Maybe you will like it, who knows.  Over the table attacking is a very demanding style.  Chances are a rubber chance is not going to be enough.   
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 1:00am
One other thing.  I played with Eric Owens about twice a week for a couple of years.  SOme of the stuff he told me about table tennis didn't make sense until years later.  But it was all true. I wrote a lot of it down.  I still consult that sheet from time to time.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 1:17am
One last thing, just because somebody might find it interesting.  The year Eric won the US Nationals he was playing with Butterfly Tackifire (heavily speed glued of course) and I think he was still using a Keyshot blade.  (We were living in the same city at the time, used to hang out quite a bit in those days).  I mention this because by the standards of Japanese rubbers of that era, it was tacky and quite hard, and of course when heavily glued it had really good performance too.  Not as tacky as Chinese, but a lot more than Bryce.  Eric told me that it was Kim Taek Soo who convinced him that he needed to use much harder sponges when he was much younger and training in Korea. He convinced me to use harder sponges about that time, and I have never gone back.   Palio Thors might be a modern rubber that is kind of intermediate and could well emmulate a heavily glued Tackifire.  
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 1:41am
I am really working on developing a dynamic style and I am going to be taking lessons from Eric starting this Thursday. I have been trying to imitate players like Kamal and Mattenet, but it is going to take a lot of footwork training and technique correction to play a "proper" style. I play everyday and train footwork everyday but I am nowhere close to a dynamic style yet. Service is probably the strongest part of my game because that is what I can practice as much as I want without a good training partner.

Well, I spoke with Eric regarding the Chinese rubber, and he told me to not to use the Chinese rubber, so I am going to follow his advice. I mean, there are no good coaches in Illinois that play a Chinese style, so it is pretty much a worthless idea to try out with no good Chinese style coaches around here to give me proper training. Dead

I have to be rational if I want be a good player so Cry and back to Tensors.

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 3:25am

I am really working on developing a dynamic style and I am going to be taking lessons from Eric starting this Thursday. I have been trying to imitate players like Kamal and Mattenet, but it is going to take a lot of footwork training and technique correction to play a "proper" style. I play everyday and train footwork everyday but I am nowhere close to a dynamic style yet. Service is probably the strongest part of my game because that is what I can practice as much as I want without a good training partner.

Well, I spoke with Eric regarding the Chinese rubber, and he told me to not to use the Chinese rubber, so I am going to follow his advice. I mean, there are no good coaches in Illinois that play a Chinese style, so it is pretty much a worthless idea to try out with no good Chinese style coaches around here to give me proper training. Dead

There we go...I've been just lurking around and reading on this thread quite a bit and I've been wondering how long it would take you to cough up this decision.

Especially if you want to emulate players like Kamal and Mattenet, a proper Chinese rubber will not work for you.  And like you said, without a coach who specializes in Chinese style, you can never have a proper stroke.  If you really feel like learning it, you better move here to California or China which is definitely unrealistic.

Well, now that you have a resolve, go back to training hard!
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 5:29am

You are welcome. oops something is missing......
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 6:59am

I love your posts apw.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
stoic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stoic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 7:39am
Hi,

I've read the first page of posts and disagree with some members who claim that changing to a Chinese rubber is difficult. I am by no means a talented player, but with a couple of months training I changed from Bryce to H3 without much trouble.

You do not have to change your technique, in fact the Chinese coaches in Chengdu taught me the identical technique to the English ones! The only change you have to make is the bat angle when you hit the ball. With H3, you need to close the angle more than Bryce for example.

Cheers 

http://www.static-sounds.com
Check out our tunes!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 9:15am

I am really working on developing a dynamic style and I am going to be taking lessons from Eric starting this Thursday.

Great choice!  If you are like me he will teach you a lot about things you can do to not mistime your shots.  He's the only coach I ever had who talked much about that, and it's the most common reason shots are missed.  Ever since then I am like the little kid in the movie show sees dead people and they don't even know they're dead.  Only I see people who rush their shots and then complain to themselves about how slow they are.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 9:22am
Originally posted by stoic stoic wrote:

Hi,

I've read the first page of posts and disagree with some members who claim that changing to a Chinese rubber is difficult. I am by no means a talented player, but with a couple of months training I changed from Bryce to H3 without much trouble.

You do not have to change your technique, in fact the Chinese coaches in Chengdu taught me the identical technique to the English ones! The only change you have to make is the bat angle when you hit the ball. With H3, you need to close the angle more than Bryce for example.

Cheers 

My wife is from Chengdu area.  I love that place!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic