Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - chinese penhold vs shakehand? Advan- and Disadvan-
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

chinese penhold vs shakehand? Advan- and Disadvan-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2012 at 5:21pm
RPB blocks are generally quite inconsistent though so it may be a point to consider. But if you're better at penhold might as well go for it. In fact, if I had known the things I've known now, I would have started with penhold with RPB in my early days.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2012 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Loop40mm Loop40mm wrote:

Forehand grip:  Shakehand has a natural angle and is in ready position to loop the ball.  For penhold, one has to press the thumb to get a proper angle to loop the ball.   

Agreed.

Originally posted by Loop40mm Loop40mm wrote:

Backhand loop: Penhold reverse backhand has a natural angle to loop the ball against top spin.

Disagreed. Similar to Penhold FH, pressing thumb is required as well to execute RPB looping.  Personally, I think SH is more natural in BH looping.
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2012 at 7:29am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Moved to coaching and tips forum.

And I'm surprised that no one pointed out that RPB has the same direction side spin as a Left handed FH, so receiving it feels different that receiving a Shakehand BH...

If you play lefty loopers frequently, playing against RPB spin is a lot easier to adjust to.

Only if the penholder is left handed...

RPB and SH have the same natural side spin.  A right handed player doing a natural cross court swing with either grip will give a (from his perspective) left to right side spin shot.
http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2012 at 8:44am
Originally posted by LilWaynePingPong LilWaynePingPong wrote:

Personally, I think Penhold WITH RPB has all the advantages of shakehand with the RPB side being a little more powerful, at least in my experience.

The weight of the bat is further to the head thus shots are slightly more powerful than SH.

The main disadvantage of Penhold, in my opinion, is the inability (well, it's possible but very difficult to do) to chop balls but that's only if the player would choose to go defensive anyway. Blocks at easy to execute with traditional PH backhand though.

I agree, the grip does not lend itself easily to chopping, but you can chop quite effectively if you want to, particularly on the backhand side, the chop has nice under- and side-spin on it. And I use the forehand chop quite effectively as well, from the days I used to play primarily as a penhold defender.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2012 at 9:51am
I don't understand the notion that penhold isn't suited for chopping - penhold serve is basically a chop:
and it is a very effective stroke. And yes - I have tried penhold  FH chopping out of curiosity, and it is very controllable and spinny.

Originally posted by roar roar wrote:

Moved to coaching and tips forum.
And I'm surprised that no one pointed out that RPB has the same direction side spin as a Left handed FH, so receiving it feels different that receiving a Shakehand BH...

If you play lefty loopers frequently, playing against RPB spin is a lot easier to adjust to.

Only if the penholder is left handed...

RPB and SH have the same natural side spin.  A right handed player doing a natural cross court swing with either grip will give a (from his perspective) left to right side spin shot.

Certainly you can apply both side-spins with both grips (and it isn't that difficult..) but generally I'am with Icontek here. With my most natural SH backhand  the racket was above my wrist and I was hitting top-right part of the ball which resulted in anti-clockwise spin; while with a 'natural' RPB my wrist is above the racket during a stroke and I'am hitting top-left part, which gives a clock-wise spin. 
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2012 at 11:02am

Obviously we all have our own personal experience with the way we play table tennis. 

I don’t need to intentionally press the thumb in the penhold RPB to generate a lot of spins in looping.  If one has to open the paddle, especially for blocking, I can see one has to press the thumb.  Instead of pressing the thumb in RPB, bending the knees is probably a better approach to hit the backhand.  That is the preferred stance anyway. 

On the other hand, pressing the thumb is probably inherent in holding penhold properly, whether forehand or RPB.  Perhaps I might have a slight press with the thumb without even realizing it.

The purpose of pressing the thumb in forehand is to adjust the angle of the paddle similar to the angle of the shakehand grip.  I see the purpose of pressing the thumb in RPB is to open the paddle.  I don't loop with open paddle against top spin or no spin.  Against underspin, I drop the paddle to closer to vertical position.

Penhold RPB generates sidespins naturally.

Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

Speedster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Krantz Krantz wrote:

I don't know, this lack of crossover point thing looks like a hoax to me..
With TBH strokes you still have to change the blade's position from pointing right-way to pointing left-way and you still have an indecision area (and the same 180 deg movement required - just different plane)

This is true. Switching BH to FH is actually easier with shakehand. Since modern penholders don't curl fingers on back as old chinese players used to, they always have to change grip when switching between TB and FH.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2012 at 7:05pm
Roar, block a righty rbp loop and notice how it tends back to opponents BH.

Then block a Righty shakehand BH loop and watch it go to opponent FH.

The contract point on the ball is different for each.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2012 at 7:19pm
The RPB is a technique for those who want to take advantage of a forehand and develop a backhand loop.

Honestly, the RPB is so hard to consistently develop that I would only recommend it to someone who was so good with the Penhold grip that they didn't want to go to shakehand.  Because just about everyone I know who plays well with penhold plays almost as well if not better with shakehand and the backhand is easier to play shakehand!
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 7:19am
I can hardly play shakehand actually. I play better Cpen with my left hand then I do shakehand with my right hand. So Cpen is the only way to go for me, it feel natural. And I curl my fingers behind the blade, I don't keep them spread out so the transition from forehand to backhand is instantaneous for me. Maybe because I played penhold the first time I ever held a blade, maybe because the guy who taught me played Cpen. This is when I was still in school. I tried RPB ver recently and it will take too much unlearning for me to be able to get any kind of reliability with that stroke. I prefer the conventional backhand block. 
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 12:11pm

It is a matter of preference as to which one is better.  Shakehand grip is natural and easier to use.  Penhold forehand and RPB are just as effective as shakehand, if not more. 

I always thought shakehand was better than penhold as the traditional backhand had always been a weakness, until I inadvertently tried penhold RPB. 

I did well in shakehand backhand looping against top spin.  I had flaws in shakehand backhand looping against underspin.  When I switched to shakehand short pips in the backhand, I spent some time imitating HK female player Jiang Huajun’s backhand short pips.  When one time I was playing around in penhold RPB, penhold RPB was very natural to me.

Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

cherC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Speedster Speedster wrote:

Originally posted by Krantz Krantz wrote:

I don't know, this lack of crossover point thing looks like a hoax to me..
With TBH strokes you still have to change the blade's position from pointing right-way to pointing left-way and you still have an indecision area (and the same 180 deg movement required - just different plane)

This is true. Switching BH to FH is actually easier with shakehand. Since modern penholders don't curl fingers on back as old chinese players used to, they always have to change grip when switching between TB and FH.

It all depends on how you play, and your grip. I play PH (RBH) and  i love it. the only time i change my grip is after my sever. And no you don`t change your FH to BH if you do then stop, it`s bad becuase it` going to be hard for you to get ready for the next hit.
Name:Cher Lee

Started playing Table tennis: Apirl 13-2011

Blade: Ma Lin Extra OFF

Black Rubber: Hurricane 2

Red Rubber: Moon
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 1:07pm

Roar, block a righty rbp loop and notice how it tends back to opponents BH.

Then block a Righty shakehand BH loop and watch it go to opponent FH.

The contract point on the ball is different for each.

I think you're playing against someone who is using bad form - watch Wang Hao in this video and you'll see it's the same contact as a shakehand bh when a good player is swinging.

http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

The real advantage of penhold over shakehands traditionally is that the shakehands grip has a 'crossover point' the point infront/just to the side of the body, where a player has to make either a f/hand or b/hand stroke. Its all about decision time, and a sh/hands player can be tactically beaten here, top class players aim for this spot constantly. The main advantage of traditional P/hold is that this weakness shown in Sh/hands does not exist, because all received balls are taken with the f/hand face of the bat, apart from extreme wide to the b/hand wing balls, which are a real problem because the natural angle of the wrist is terminally unplayable.
Some Chinese players have overcome this with the introduction of RPB ( reverse penhold backhand) which uses via a grip change, the reverse side of the traditional pen hold b/hand. 
But paradoxically, that causes a 'crossover point' losing slightly the very advantage of pen hold play.

I really like this response!!!

Clap

However, I am surprised that nobody mentioned footwork. Penhold requires significantly more emphasis on the footwork. Specifically moving wide using cross over steps in each direction is very important, so that the backhand remains unexploited and so that the movement wide to the forehand cannot be used a stop to exploit the backhand.

Watch Samsonov playing Ryu Seung Min - Samsonov was stretching RSM wide on the forehand and then being gentle and consistent on the backhand. Even with Ryu's footwork, he was unable to cover all of that ground. With that in mind, it seems that it takes longer to develop great Penhold players, but also once their age begins to catch up with the, it is harder to stay in the same form.

Penhold also requires close to the table position. Backing off the table for a penhold player is very bad. The distance for movement increases while the power decreases. I also feel ( maybe erroneously ) that penhold "wingspan" is shorter. Meaning shakehand can reach farther using the grip, even by slightly sliding the fingers off the handle like Jorgen Perrson.

Besides Xu Xin, there has not been anyone new in the Junior levels with Penhold grip that stands out. I guess even Chinese are beginning to convert their thoughts towards grip.

Back to table tennis...
Speedster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 5:20pm
I was talking about switching Traditional Backhand to FH not RPB to FH. Ma Lin Xu Xin RSM all change grip to make angle when they block with TB. Forehand short game is easier with penhold. Backhand short game? If you don't use RPB, there is no comparison. 

The real disadvantage for penholders is that there is no coach who can teach RPM in a proper way outside China.
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 6:54pm
Cherry Zhao and Crystal Huang teach RPB very well.
Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2012 at 8:11am

I was talking about switching Traditional Backhand to FH not RPB to FH. 

I won't call it "grip change" because fingers stay in place, it's just the pressure applied by the forefinger and the thumb changes gradually while paddle is being moved from FH to TBH (one finger relaxes while the other tightens). In extreme positions, the paddle can be held with two fingers - the middle and either forefinger (for TBH) or thumb (for FH)... But this pressure movement is done "automatically", gradually and constantly, there is no point where one should make a decision about how pressure should be applied.

In SH, the cross-over point means the player should make a mental effort to decide whether the ball should be played with BH or FH.

The real disadvantage for penholders is that there is no coach who can teach RPM in a proper way outside China. 

What do you mean by "proper" ways of coaching RPB? Any coach that can use the Internet and YouTube and is able to analyse things can find a way to teach RPB, IMO.
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic