Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chinese Women's Team will start wearing dresses
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chinese Women's Team will start wearing dresses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
wealthweb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wealthweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 3:35am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

"The female TT players will play harder once they dress up nicely and professional." -Wealthweb

"The women should not dress like men because they are not men." -Heimdallalso

What is this? The 1920s?

No offense, but most of the replies here reek of covert sexism. I feel like I should say something here simply because this forum is male dominated. Skirts have no athletic advantage over shorts. You all only want female players to wear skirts because you're used to women wearing skirts and that you think they look 'prettier' and more 'feminine'.

Agreed with what you have said. Thank you for your true and accurate observation.

Unfortunately TT could be a very fast and aggressive game that sometimes attracts a lot of aggressive male players and some of those male players could be quite nasty when touching upon the subjects of boys and girls - love and hate forever relationships inside and outside the TT communities. I deeply apologize to those members specially the female members that feel offended because of my soft humor. In my mind male and female are equal partners and good companions. Therefore we really need each other to build a good relationship not only for ourselves but also for our future generations.

To our fellow female members, please forgive some of us, the male counterparts (including me) that have occasionally written some comments which could have hurt your feeling or getting onto your nerve. That is why the nasty boys need to be fixed by the girls all the time and we deserve the penalties if we have made mistakes. Please scream and yell at us any time if you feel offended by our comments. This is a fair forum. God bless.

Eric Yu
1st Blade: KTS Red + Omega II, Tenergy 64
2nd Blade: Butterfly Haruvatart-S ZL Carbon + Omega III, Tenergy 05
Dream Blade:Special Cypress Custom (Special Royal Treasure Art Product)+ Narucr
Sponsored Links

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 4:07am
Originally posted by The Shakehander The Shakehander wrote:

they will still have shorts under, not g-strings :)

If you vote me president of the ITTF I will make it a rule.

Table tennis will allways be 90% a male sport so you may as well take your 10% females and get them to help double the amount of male players. Sure that's sexist but that's the reality of humans and the world and life itself. Girls are built to attract males and males are built to be attracted to females. Go with it :)

qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 4:22am
Thank goodness you're not the ITTF President then, and you sure wouldn't win my vote with your comment.

Simply having female players wear skirts isn't going to double the amount of male players; I don't follow your logic. I don't play table tennis because of the women. And even if it were to happen, you would be effectively minimalizing the already minority population of female table tennis players.

The rest of your comment is depressing, and to be honest, a bit ignorant. It only goes to show that sexism will always prevail with your kind of thinking. I apologize if I don't "go with it."
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 6:23am
That's ok I used to think with polictical correctness in my mind also until I realised that was wrong :).

I don't play table tennis because of the women either but that's why it will never be a popular sport. Most sports are very social places. I'm playing Tennis at the moment and there's alot of flirting around the tennis club, even a few g strings hanging out the top of shorts and yep alot more people playing than table tennis and 5 times as many females. They like a bit of show off. I used to play badminton and that was the same deal.

I make no applogies for anyone that hasn't accept there own humanity (yet) :), this is how life is

Cyrilix View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrilix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 6:56am
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

That's ok I used to think with polictical correctness in my mind also until I realised that was wrong :).

I don't play table tennis because of the women either but that's why it will never be a popular sport. Most sports are very social places. I'm playing Tennis at the moment and there's alot of flirting around the tennis club, even a few g strings hanging out the top of shorts and yep alot more people playing than table tennis and 5 times as many females. They like a bit of show off. I used to play badminton and that was the same deal.

I make no applogies for anyone that hasn't accept there own humanity (yet) :), this is how life is

If the popularity of a sport judged the value of the sport, then I would agree with you, but you see, that's not exactly the case. Of course we know the saying "sex sells", but what if you don't sell to those that only want sex? There are still more than enough of us around that don't care either way. You wouldn't give up table tennis if women didn't flash their panties at you, would you?
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 7:01am
Nicefrog,

Please don't patronize me. This isn't a matter of being PC.

There are many other sports that do not need to emphasize the femininity of women in order to gain popularity. In fact, I wouldn't care for table tennis to become popular through such means because it's simply shallow and has nothing to do with the actual sport.

It's interesting that you think I have not, to some measure, reached your level of "humanity" and come to terms with "how life is" because I don't understand the concept of sexual attraction. When in fact this was not the point I have been arguing at all. The issue is pretty moot now, and it's 7AM.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Cyrilix Cyrilix wrote:

Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

If the popularity of a sport judged the value of the sport, then I would agree with you, but you see, that's not exactly the case. Of course we know the saying "sex sells", but what if you don't sell to those that only want sex? There are still more than enough of us around that don't care either way. You wouldn't give up table tennis if women didn't flash their panties at you, would you?

No I wouldn't but all these things enchance the time you have playing the sport. Why take a picture of a beautiful waterfall by itself when you can stick a beautiful nude in it. Isn't that a better picture, of course it is. Is a sport a better overall experience to watch with girls in skirts, of course. So if it's a better experience like that, then that's how it should be. it doesn't have to be one sided, I'm sure they can think of some clothing that shows a bit more body on the males also, that might attract more women to the sport. If you ask most women why they don't go to table tennis, they will tell you because table tennis players are a bunch of nerds and or freaks :) (my wife says this is why she doesn't play)

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 7:51am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

Nicefrog,

Please don't patronize me. This isn't a matter of being PC.

There are many other sports that do not need to emphasize the femininity of women in order to gain popularity. In fact, I wouldn't care for table tennis to become popular through such means because it's simply shallow and has nothing to do with the actual sport.

It's interesting that you think I have not, to some measure, reached your level of "humanity" and come to terms with "how life is" because I don't understand the concept of sexual attraction. When in fact this was not the point I have been arguing at all. The issue is pretty moot now, and it's 7AM.

The only sport I can think of that is popular without a large amount of sexual attraction is Cricket even there, female cricket players started the sport in skirts in order to increase the profile of the game. Since then they have stoped wearing the skirts but at the time it worked.

The codes of football, at least Soccer and Australian rules are followed by thousands of obsessed teenage girls, most of the crowd are female

liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 8:09am
haha!! question like "egg n chicken"... ...
China already start promo dresses to players for the last 2-3 years
most of the players take it easy... ...
will get more attention from the all (male n female)... ...
can't increase more female to play TT, but mayb some cute/pretty girl will join just bcoz wearing dressesSmile
Badminton also like that... ...attract more audience only... ...or mayb sponsors
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 8:29am
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 8:42am
彭陆洋 she is Wang Hao GirlfriendSmile
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2009 at 8:48am
World No. 1 Zhang YiningClap
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
AJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2009 at 3:29pm
Well the dresses are officially out.

The fact that they are wearing more feminine outfit is not lost to the players.

1. The players seem more aware of their appearance.    Have you seen Cao Zhen looking better in a match?
2. It has been reported that in order to look their best, some players went on a bit of a diet before the games.

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2009 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by liang1983 liang1983 wrote:

彭陆洋 she is Wang Hao GirlfriendSmile

same person Confused

Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
wealthweb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wealthweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 2:38am
Originally posted by AJay AJay wrote:

1.�The players�seem�more aware�of their appearance.    Have you seen Cao Zhen looking better in a match?

2.�It has been reported that in order to look their best, some players�went on a bit of a diet before the games.

Good points.

There is nothing wrong for the female TT players to dress nice outfits for them to look good or pretty. If this is what they want and what ITTF permits; then, so be it. Nice dress will enhance their self-esteem and confidence. I haven't met any girl who does not want to look attractive while they are playing in front of a large group of audiences.

As long as the female TT players do not get carried away and perceive the TT function as a fashion show in lieu of a TT tournament, they should cooperate with their sponsors that pay them big bucks in promoting the TT and the company products within the guidelines of ITTF.
Eric Yu
1st Blade: KTS Red + Omega II, Tenergy 64
2nd Blade: Butterfly Haruvatart-S ZL Carbon + Omega III, Tenergy 05
Dream Blade:Special Cypress Custom (Special Royal Treasure Art Product)+ Narucr
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 3:20am
Originally posted by wealthweb wealthweb wrote:

Originally posted by AJay AJay wrote:

1. The players seem more aware of their appearance.    Have you seen Cao Zhen looking better in a match?

2. It has been reported that in order to look their best, some players went on a bit of a diet before the games.

Good points.

There is nothing wrong for the female TT players to dress nice outfits for them to look good or pretty. If this is what they want and what ITTF permits; then, so be it. Nice dress will enhance their self-esteem and confidence. I haven't met any girl who does not want to look attractive while they are playing in front of a large group of audiences.

As long as the female TT players do not get carried away and perceive the TT function as a fashion show in lieu of a TT tournament, they should cooperate with their sponsors that pay them big bucks in promoting the TT and the company products within the guidelines of ITTF.

Please no promoting company products,
did you see those Sweden hockey players, a walking billboard Dead
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 9:04am
Yao yan looks good in the dress. Cao zhen not really.
AJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 10:47am
Talking about promoting company products, what happened to all the brand name patches they used to wear on their shirts?

This is a problem, isn't it?        

There must be commercial contracts for them to wear those patches, but I can image if they stick the same old ones on, it would destroy the look of these dresses.

Perhaps they are working on new patches.
nhuang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhuang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 1:46pm
Professional womens tennis features a lot of sponsorship.  The new patches will probably be smaller and attached at the shoulder or sleeve area.

Here's a random example I found.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/4706/photos;_ylt=AhjW1RGE9sbMyJefapGdPDwxv7YF#photoViewer=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cgetty%3A20050301%3Aten%2Cphoto%2Ce3d5eb1b37e025c42db6a637b668bf3e-getty-tennis-jpn-itf%3A1

dmras View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 9:10pm
Anybody knows where you can order women table tennis dresses such as Chinese team played?
Cyrilix View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrilix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by dmras dmras wrote:

Anybody knows where you can order women table tennis dresses such as Chinese team played?

Can you order them? If you can, they must be fake. I don't see why they would sell National team uniforms to random people.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2009 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

It looks kinda weird but its a step in the right direction.

classic.

and old time tt was played in slacks and dresses.

PLEATED TROUSERS FOR THE MEN. DAMNIT.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
AJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2009 at 1:40am
BTW here is the other outfit they wore at the East Asian Games.

These are made by Li Ning.    You can buy some of the other Chinese team shirts made by Li Ning, so it cannot be ruled out that you may be able to buy these at some point in the future.   

It seems that the yellow/blue outfit was designed to match the theme of the East Asian Games, so they would be a specialty item.

I now think these more feminine outfits are only a kind of experiment.    It is not certain that the Chinese ladies will continue to wear dressess, but presumably they will show up more.

Some other news about these dresses.
* The new outfit became a media focus at the East Asian Games.     Good publicity for TT.
* Yao Yan became a media darling, rivaling the Japanese star Ai Fukuhara, who said she did not like the new look.       As you can see from these pictures, she was a great model for the dresses.
* Yao Yan enjoyed great fan support.     Lots of cheering for her in the final against Wen Jia.     In such a close match, who knows if it wasn't worth a point or two.
* Yao Yan immediately received a gift from her 'fans' after winning.   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic