Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Coachvideo on how to loop underspin with tacky rub
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coachvideo on how to loop underspin with tacky rub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 8:17pm
A 2500 player at my club uses and teaches a convex motion with Tenergy. Let's stop confusing personal preferences with objective facts.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 8:20pm
Stipancic had a convex swing and used Sriver. He managed to loop moderately ok against backspin.

Edited by DDreamer - 09/02/2013 at 8:21pm
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 8:34pm
i have both convex and concave shape to my stroke, at different times.
concave when looping against block and when looping backspin when the hitting point brings my hand close to the table.
When you consider that the racket only contacts the ball for a fraction of a second, it hardly seems sane to worry about something which is defined by the backswing and followthrough
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

2) The key is not to contact the ball with maximum racket speed, but with maximum racket acceleration.  Do NOT begin accelerate your racket maximally until RIGHT BEFORE your racket reaches the ball.  This is a very crucial point for both FH and BH loops vs. backspin.  If you do this, you'll find that if you simply want to loop a backspin back, it really doesn't require a whole lot of strength.  This is the reason why even 10 year old girls can loop backspins consistently.  Maximum acceleration gives you maximum dwell time, this allows your racket to almost "carry" the ball forward.  If you loop with maximum strength from the start if your motion, then your racket would have reached maximum speed with zero acceleration when it contacts the ball.  

I think that contrary to what you're saying, you want maximum racket speed at contact, NOT maximum acceleration. Maximum acceleration probably occurs near the start of the swing, when the racket speed is close to zero.

To overcome backspin, your racket speed has to be greater than the rotational speed of the ball. 
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 1:02am
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

I have a concave loop and use Euro rubber but I can loop perfectly fine with Chinese rubber. For non-elite players looping backspin it really doesn't matter what rubber you use - you just need to get your technique honed correctly.

Depends on your definition of "perfectly fine".  People who use a concave stroke with classic Chinese rubbers always complain about its lack of speed, when in fact they're just not using it right.  Here's an example of the differences:
Both are standard drills vs. blocking, note how Ma Long uses a considerably more convex stroke.
I mean perfectly fine. Against backspin (which is the topic of the thread) I probably even slightly prefer Chinese rubber. Also, players like Xu Xin and Zhang Jike use Chinese rubber and yet appear to have a concave loop when playing heavy chop. For a beginner/intermediate player (which I presume the OP is - given that he has trouble looping heavy backspin) the type of rubber makes zero difference when it comes to learning how to loop backspin.     

I apologize for the misunderstanding, I was referring to looping in general, particularly against topspins.  The motion for looping backspins is indeed pretty much identical between Chinese and European rubbers.  I myself, however, find Chinese rubbers are identical in brushing loops but more difficult with drives when it comes to backspin.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 1:16am
Originally posted by reflecx reflecx wrote:

2) The key is not to contact the ball with maximum racket speed, but with maximum racket acceleration.  Do NOT begin accelerate your racket maximally until RIGHT BEFORE your racket reaches the ball.  This is a very crucial point for both FH and BH loops vs. backspin.  If you do this, you'll find that if you simply want to loop a backspin back, it really doesn't require a whole lot of strength.  This is the reason why even 10 year old girls can loop backspins consistently.  Maximum acceleration gives you maximum dwell time, this allows your racket to almost "carry" the ball forward.  If you loop with maximum strength from the start if your motion, then your racket would have reached maximum speed with zero acceleration when it contacts the ball.  

I think that contrary to what you're saying, you want maximum racket speed at contact, NOT maximum acceleration. Maximum acceleration probably occurs near the start of the swing, when the racket speed is close to zero.

To overcome backspin, your racket speed has to be greater than the rotational speed of the ball. 

No, I meant maximum acceleration.  F=ma, since mass stays the same, maximum acceleration will happen when you use maximum force, which is the key to this stroke.  Use your maximum force and give your racket maximum acceleration right before contact.

Even a 10 year old girl can generate the racket speed necessary to overcome any backspin--a backspin doesn't rotate nearly as fast as a topspin mind you--so that's not the issue here.
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 3:16am

No, I meant maximum acceleration.  F=ma, since mass stays the same, maximum acceleration will happen when you use maximum force, which is the key to this stroke.  Use your maximum force and give your racket maximum acceleration right before contact.

Even a 10 year old girl can generate the racket speed necessary to overcome any backspin--a backspin doesn't rotate nearly as fast as a topspin mind you--so that's not the issue here.

F=ma is not the appropriate equation here.

Read the comments by David Bernstein in Larry Hodges's blog. I cringed when I first read that entry, good thing he deleted most of the wrong info.

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/1350

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 6:57am

2) Many players loop the ball into the net and think that the solution is to loop harder.  That's not entirely correct.  If you find yourself looping with all your strength with a very upward motion and the ball still falls into the net, then this is likely at least a part of your problem.  The key is not to contact the ball with maximum racket speed, but with maximum racket acceleration.  Do NOT begin accelerate your racket maximally until RIGHT BEFORE your racket reaches the ball.  This is a very crucial point for both FH and BH loops vs. backspin.  If you do this, you'll find that if you simply want to loop a backspin back, it really doesn't require a whole lot of strength.  This is the reason why even 10 year old girls can loop backspins consistently.  Maximum acceleration gives you maximum dwell time, this allows your racket to almost "carry" the ball forward.  If you loop with maximum strength from the start if your motion, then your racket would have reached maximum speed with zero acceleration when it contacts the ball.  This decreases dwell time and it's very easy for a heavy backspin ball to slip off the racket into the net.

This is a wrong explanation of speed vs acceleration, given there's no such thing as distinguishing between the two since the dwell time is too small. What does matter is precise AND higher racket speed (than returning topspin), of which the timing to accelerate (ie whip) the blade to correct speed is critical.

Unlike returning topspin, which is relatively insensitive because the returned ball has both your and opponent's topspin and easily arcs downwards, returning backspin requires you to both generate all of that topspin and then some AND more accurate balance of your spin vs incoming spin. That means you have to read what's coming better AND control how fast your bat hits the ball better.

A lot of amateur players have poor looping form where they don't whip enough so just generating enough speed is a struggle. Imagine pressing a nail into the wall rather than pounding it. This can still work OK at lower level for top, but not for "heavy" backspin.

Sure, if that 10 year old girl has good looping form and reads the spin right. It doesn't really take that much power since this can be traded off for length of backswing. You can also trade off bad read with more speed.

Edited by AgentHEX - 09/03/2013 at 7:04am
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 7:01am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

SPIN THE WHEEL !

Looping underspin balls is the hardest task to do..
THE racket proper acceleration is the keypoint here. High speed acceleration is needed.

SPIN THE WHEEL!

You can also do this w/ upside down bicycle.

Edited by AgentHEX - 09/03/2013 at 7:01am
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 7:10am

Stipancic had a convex swing and used Sriver. He managed to loop moderately ok against backspin.

Concave vs convex is often misunderstand as fundamental difference when they're just variation on same stroke. Concave means more lateral contact, less directly into blade face. Ie. more spin, less speed. This can counteract faster blade (or faster rubber but less so). Convex is opposite, and therefore more common with slower blade given same resulting shot. Same player can vary this (or not) based on how much spin/speed they want with given angle of attack.

This is all basic geometry of the stroke/contact.

Edited by AgentHEX - 09/03/2013 at 7:33am
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 9:57am

F=ma is not the appropriate equation here.

Read the comments by David Bernstein in Larry Hodges's blog. I cringed when I first read that entry, good thing he deleted most of the wrong info.

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/1350

F=ma is ALWAYS the appropriate equation.  That blog is about how to generate the maximum F, which is not the point of discussion here.  You can worry about generating maximum force (hips, legs, and all the other things mentioned in the blog) after you've understood how to land the ball on the table first.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 10:09am
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

2) Many players loop the ball into the net and think that the solution is to loop harder.  That's not entirely correct.  If you find yourself looping with all your strength with a very upward motion and the ball still falls into the net, then this is likely at least a part of your problem.  The key is not to contact the ball with maximum racket speed, but with maximum racket acceleration.  Do NOT begin accelerate your racket maximally until RIGHT BEFORE your racket reaches the ball.  This is a very crucial point for both FH and BH loops vs. backspin.  If you do this, you'll find that if you simply want to loop a backspin back, it really doesn't require a whole lot of strength.  This is the reason why even 10 year old girls can loop backspins consistently.  Maximum acceleration gives you maximum dwell time, this allows your racket to almost "carry" the ball forward.  If you loop with maximum strength from the start if your motion, then your racket would have reached maximum speed with zero acceleration when it contacts the ball.  This decreases dwell time and it's very easy for a heavy backspin ball to slip off the racket into the net.

This is a wrong explanation of speed vs acceleration, given there's no such thing as distinguishing between the two since the dwell time is too small. What does matter is precise AND higher racket speed (than returning topspin), of which the timing to accelerate (ie whip) the blade to correct speed is critical.

Unlike returning topspin, which is relatively insensitive because the returned ball has both your and opponent's topspin and easily arcs downwards, returning backspin requires you to both generate all of that topspin and then some AND more accurate balance of your spin vs incoming spin. That means you have to read what's coming better AND control how fast your bat hits the ball better.

A lot of amateur players have poor looping form where they don't whip enough so just generating enough speed is a struggle. Imagine pressing a nail into the wall rather than pounding it. This can still work OK at lower level for top, but not for "heavy" backspin.

Sure, if that 10 year old girl has good looping form and reads the spin right. It doesn't really take that much power since this can be traded off for length of backswing. You can also trade off bad read with more speed.

Sorry, but I don't care how great form a 10 year old girl has, any able-bodied adult male will be able to easily generate faster racket speed.  As for the dwell time issue, I'm an engineer myself and I do have some trouble reconciling the short, <5 ms contact time with the phenomenom of dwell.  The feeling and importance of dwell is real, and the only explanation I can come up with is that while we can calculate roughly the amount of dwell time and the effects of acceleration, we cannot know just how much that difference translates to gameplay.

Just try it out.  Swing as hard as you possibly can, use your full power from the moment you begin your forward swing, see how well you loop a backspin.  Then try being completely lackadaisical, don't move your hips/legs or even shoulder an inch throughout the swing, and only use your arm to swing and swing it slow, accelerate fast at the point of contact.  You'll see the difference in importance between maximum speed and maximum acceleration very easily.

Edited by dingyibvs - 09/03/2013 at 10:15am
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 10:12am
dingyibvs, it would really help to read that link and reply before commenting further.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 10:17am

Sorry, but I don't care how great form a 10 year old girl has, any able-bodied adult male will be able to easily generate faster racket speed. 

Sure, but not with terrible technique (incl timing). A lot of lower level able-bodied adult males "loop" like they're pushing the ball over.

As for the dwell time issue, I'm an engineer myself and I do have some trouble reconciling the short, <5 ms contact time with the phenomenom of dwell.  The feeling and importance of dwell is real, and the only explanation

There's another active thread on dwell atm on the forum and I'd encourage you read it.

Just try it out.  Swing as hard as you possibly can, use your full power from the moment you begin your forward swing, see how well you loop a backspin.  Then try being completely lackadaisical, don't move your hips/legs or even shoulder an inch throughout the swing, and only use your arm to swing and swing it slow, accelerate fast at the point of contact.  You'll see the difference in importance between maximum speed and maximum acceleration very easily.

If you're an engineer and thus ostensibly taken at least intro physics, you should realize that's not how acceleration and speed works.

--
What you're really describing here is the reality that most amateurs (incl myself) don't play well enough to consistently control a full whip/loop stroke (which is what good jr's are trained to do), and thus a smaller motion is more effective in practice. The main point of disagreement is that this max acc motion is always the "best" stroke (ie for topspin, too) as long as you can use it well.

Edited by AgentHEX - 09/03/2013 at 10:28am
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 10:38am

Yup, cannot overstate the importance of acceleration.  And do take note that it's acceleration and not necessarily speed that allows your rubber to hold onto the ball and bring it up and forward.
Prove it! I am serious!  The acceleration is necessary to get the paddle to the right speed but the dwell time is so short, any change in speed will make little difference.   The speed of impact and angle of the paddle are most important.

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 10:47am
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

dingyibvs, it would really help to read that link and reply before commenting further.

You mean Bernstein's comment?  I've read it, and I've addresed it in my previous post, I suppose I'll need to address it in detail here.  The physics involved isn't difficult, anyone who's had say physics 2 in college can make the calculation.  My thought is that while dwell time is small, it may not be irrelevant as Bernstein presumed.

A MLB pitcher can thow the ball at 100+ MPH, we can't do that, but let's say we can swing at 35 MPH, which is equivalent to 15.64 meters per second, or 1.564 cm/ms.  This means that even with a dwell time of 1 ms, the racket will have moved ~1.5cm, or about 1/10 of the blade's width, during this time.

The math for this part is easy, but the question really is that is this all really relevant?  The math to prove that is much more difficult, because we have no idea how much your arm can accelerate during this period.  I think most experienced TT players, however, will tell you that it's very important.
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 11:38am

F=ma is ALWAYS the appropriate equation.  That blog is about how to generate the maximum F, which is not the point of discussion here.  You can worry about generating maximum force (hips, legs, and all the other things mentioned in the blog) after you've understood how to land the ball on the table first.

So you're rather loop a backspin ball where at impact time your racket is moving at 0 m/s with acceleration of 10 m/s2 vs moving at 10 m/s with 0 acceleration?

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 11:51am

So you're rather loop a backspin ball where at impact time your racket is moving at 0 m/s with acceleration of 10 m/s2 vs moving at 10 m/s with 0 acceleration?

In theory, you could even have the max acceleration at a negative speed, ie a velocity opposite in direction to the acceleration. I don't think dingybvs would want that when looping underspin LOL
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 12:06pm
to be frank, IMO all these convex vs concave loop is just an illusion caused by looking at the loops from a side view, try looking at them from a back view and all becomes clear. These loops have the same mechanism, the only difference is the blade angle. Ma Long and Wang Liqin loop with a very open racket angle (with an emphasis on speed), while players like Zhang Jike, Fan Zhendong and Timo Boll loop with a much more closed racket angle (with an emphasis on spin). To me the form and feeling of ball contact is the most important thing in looping underspin. I would suggest that you start looping backspin by scooping the ball up with an open blade angle and just bring the ball onto the table with good height and some side-topspin (some people call it a roll). You can loop any backspin no matter how heavy it is with this manner. As you get the feeling of neutralising the backspin and producing some decent side-topspin with this technique, start closing your blade angle and involve more of your legs to "push" the ball upwards and forwards at contact, then you will find that as you close the blade more, you would need to swing harder and the spin that you impart on the ball becomes more vicious. Think spin instead of speed. But if you do not have the ball feeling required to loop underspin, any attempts on "increasing speed" or "increasing acceleration" is in vain. You must first be able to bring the ball onto the table with decent net clearance effortlessly before you even attempt to increase power. Ball feeling is the most important issue here for those who cannot reliably loop backspin, not power. Once you have the ball feeling, all these stuff about acceleration and speed will occur naturally as you close the paddle and use more of your legs/waist to drive the ball.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 12:35pm
^Great post. I wish I had read this a few years ago, not long after I started TT. It took me a long time to realize this and starting doing it, and I'm still trying to get the right ball feel...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

to be frank, IMO all these convex vs concave loop is just an illusion caused by looking at the loops from a side view, try looking at them from a back view and all becomes clear. These loops have the same mechanism, the only difference is the blade angle. Ma Long and Wang Liqin loop with a very open racket angle (with an emphasis on speed), while players like Zhang Jike, Fan Zhendong and Timo Boll loop with a much more closed racket angle (with an emphasis on spin). To me the form and feeling of ball contact is the most important thing in looping underspin. I would suggest that you start looping backspin by scooping the ball up with an open blade angle and just bring the ball onto the table with good height and some side-topspin (some people call it a roll). You can loop any backspin no matter how heavy it is with this manner. As you get the feeling of neutralising the backspin and producing some decent side-topspin with this technique, start closing your blade angle and involve more of your legs to "push" the ball upwards and forwards at contact, then you will find that as you close the blade more, you would need to swing harder and the spin that you impart on the ball becomes more vicious. Think spin instead of speed. But if you do not have the ball feeling required to loop underspin, any attempts on "increasing speed" or "increasing acceleration" is in vain. You must first be able to bring the ball onto the table with decent net clearance effortlessly before you even attempt to increase power. Ball feeling is the most important issue here for those who cannot reliably loop backspin, not power. Once you have the ball feeling, all these stuff about acceleration and speed will occur naturally as you close the paddle and use more of your legs/waist to drive the ball.

Nah - there is a real and important difference between concave and convex looping motions (AgentHex described it).  I agree with the rest of what you said about underspin.
Cybershape Carbon
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 2:22pm
The most important thing in looping is to have correct timing and I mean being always in the right position to exert maximum force (optimally with minimum effort for fast recovery= relaxed muscles not tensed) when the ball is at your optimal "sweet spot" of your body. 

"You have to time all the components of your body so that racket meets ball at the moment of maximum racket speed." Very accurate reply indeed in Larry Hodge's blog ( check 1st comment at this link http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/1350)

Mathematical types like F=Ma are just small pixels of the whole image and must be taken into consideration only for the time period that we hit the ball which is easy to learn...moving EFFICIENTLY before and after we hit the ball is the most difficult part.

For me there are some "Steps" of the whole procedure which I use when I teach strokes

1.Getting into position (footwork)

2. Backswing (putting our weight to our back leg,turning the waist and shoulder with harmony) (can be executed simultaneously with step 1 for advanced/intermediate players, example is the loop usin cross step)

3.Hitting the ball (weight transfer from back to front leg, and as we move "forward or upward" we hit the ball by accelerating/turning all of our body with forearm&wrist snap

4.Getting into position, same as step 1, but changes according to the exercise (random FH, FH BH drills, Falkenberg or feeding the ball to the same spot for beginners)

The spinning wheel is a great way to learn the basics of the stroke, but to be more complete you need practice vs robot for starters and then multiball or random placement drills

Sweet Spot of your body http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_H_H3iigI (check 2:21 to 3:10 for the timing- body "sweet spot" relation" 

Edited by TTFrenzy - 09/03/2013 at 2:28pm
my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 2:53pm
what the hell is concave loop? Who comes up with this crap? Why is everything overcomplicated here? Just brush the damm ball up. No wrist. Open your elbow all the way, drop it down and relax. Now rotate the turret from the waist, swing the arm from the shoulder, and flex a little just before contact in the elbow. No wrist. Even with BH, little to no wrist. If you learn to use the wrist in brushing you will have a sissy, half-ass shot that will be spinny and will clear the net but will be slam-dunked on the other side. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 3:24pm
No wrist? Confused

Looping with wrist is very effective and fast and far better than looping without wrist snap. 

The difficult part of the wrist snap is to coordinate it correctly with the rest body motion (legs hips waist shoulder forearm and then wrist)

No wrist loop can be teached to players with lack of body coordination, but since you master a "no wrist" loop it is time to put more momentum by adding the wrist snap.

p.s. Im referring to "maximum explosion" loops with minimum effort, and the wrist snap adds even more spin & speed to the ball. No wrist loop would be effective if the opponent is far away from the table, the incoming ball is slow (playing with a chopper for example) so you can loop it pass and close  the net to make him move and take him out of position. 

But this "close to the net" loop can be also executed with wrist for good spin but with slower execution and a more vertical paddle

my TT blog!

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by TTFrenzy TTFrenzy wrote:

No wrist? Confused

Looping with wrist is very effective and fast and far better than looping without wrist snap. 

The difficult part of the wrist snap is to coordinate it correctly with the rest body motion (legs hips waist shoulder forearm and then wrist)

No wrist loop can be teached to players with lack of body coordination, but since you master a "no wrist" loop it is time to put more momentum by adding the wrist snap.

p.s. Im referring to "maximum explosion" loops with minimum effort, and the wrist snap adds even more spin & speed to the ball. No wrist loop would be effective if the opponent is far away from the table, the incoming ball is slow (playing with a chopper for example) so you can loop it pass and close  the net to make him move and take him out of position. 

But this "close to the net" loop can be also executed with wrist for good spin but with slower execution and a more vertical paddle

IF you watch any top-level player loop underspin, you will see a shift of the wrist position.  Don't mind Assiduous - he likes to act like he knows what he doesn't.
Cybershape Carbon
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 4:48pm
We are talking about heavy backspin off the end of the table. There is no wrist in FH and very little on the BH. Some shots like ZJK's opening loop when receiving serve have wrist, but that is rarely heavy backspin, usually mixed spin and very close to the net, over the table, where wrist action is the only swing physically possible. That is different from what the OP is asking. 

I used to do everything with wrist when i was learning to loop. My opponents were 1500 and coulnd't block nothing and i though i had a good loop. As I started playing higher opps my loops' weakness was exposed in a very obvious, sometimes humiliating way. One day at a tournament a bulgarian professional coach told me that I used way too much wrist and my loops are soft and weak. He said if u have proper technique you don't need wrist for spin. I took me one year to redo all my loops but i am very proud now. That's when I also discovered that soft sponges suck. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 4:54pm
next level, where are you from? I want to challenge you to a match.

I have to admit I have caught myself wrong way too often. But you simply don't have the expertise or skills or intelligence to stalk me in every thread and make condescending remarks. If you are going to do this, you really should pick someone your own level. 

Edited by assiduous - 09/03/2013 at 4:58pm
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

We are talking about heavy backspin off the end of the table. There is no wrist in FH and very little on the BH. Some shots like ZJK's opening loop when receiving serve have wrist, but that is rarely heavy backspin, usually mixed spin and very close to the net, over the table, where wrist action is the only swing physically possible. That is different from what the OP is asking. 

I used to do everything with wrist when i was learning to loop. My opponents were 1500 and coulnd't block nothing and i though i had a good loop. As I started playing higher opps my loops' weakness was exposed in a very obvious, sometimes humiliating way. One day at a tournament a bulgarian professional coach told me that I used way too much wrist and my loops are soft and weak. He said if u have proper technique you don't need wrist for spin. I took me one year to redo all my loops but i am very proud now. That's when I also discovered that soft sponges suck. 

well, if that was the case there is a big difference in using "way too much wrist" (I suppose u didnt  loop with you whole body back then) and using the wrist snap properly, as the finishing move of a stroke which involves 

1) weight transfer from back to front leg
2)waist rotation in coordination with 1)
3)forearm snap and finally 
4)wrist snap  

I was talking about adding the wrist snap as the final "part" of your stroke which makes it easier to loop with spin & speed a heavy backspin shot.
my TT blog!

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

to be frank, IMO all these convex vs concave loop is just an illusion caused by looking at the loops from a side view, try looking at them from a back view and all becomes clear. These loops have the same mechanism, the only difference is the blade angle. Ma Long and Wang Liqin loop with a very open racket angle (with an emphasis on speed), while players like Zhang Jike, Fan Zhendong and Timo Boll loop with a much more closed racket angle (with an emphasis on spin).

Concave vs convex (or really should be called less-concave) is very much real. It's possible that because it's somewhat more advanced technique that folks can get to quite decent level without knowing it, but I'm pretty sure high level player have to understand it to some extent (even if just intuitively).

To illustrate, consider the flip, the extreme of a concave "loop". The intent here is a high-ish spin/speed ratio to clear a low/short ball over the net. The brush contact is thin, which is why the stroke is almost like wrapping around the ball (vs the direct pounding of a non-concave drive). Because the brush is relatively thin for the speed of the contact, good touch is required (which is why it requires decent level to execute). Incidentally this is also why fast setups (low dwell) make this sort of precision touch shot harder to execute and significant part of why the players who emphasize early point control (ie CNT) use seemingly slower equipment than ideal for rally.

But you are correct ball feeling is very important to do this. The statements just above demonstrate why.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 5:22pm
Also btw you shouldn't think too much about wrist snap. It just happens if you loosen you arm for the whip stroke. Think of when you throw a ball or something really hard, your brain will know when to release it at apex of speed after acceleration. High level players basically control the apex of that throw very precisely and consistently, that's how they always hit so hard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic