Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Coachvideo on how to loop underspin with tacky rub
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coachvideo on how to loop underspin with tacky rub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

We are talking about heavy backspin off the end of the table. There is no wrist in FH and very little on the BH. Some shots like ZJK's opening loop when receiving serve have wrist, but that is rarely heavy backspin, usually mixed spin and very close to the net, over the table, where wrist action is the only swing physically possible. That is different from what the OP is asking. 

I used to do everything with wrist when i was learning to loop. My opponents were 1500 and coulnd't block nothing and i though i had a good loop. As I started playing higher opps my loops' weakness was exposed in a very obvious, sometimes humiliating way. One day at a tournament a bulgarian professional coach told me that I used way too much wrist and my loops are soft and weak. He said if u have proper technique you don't need wrist for spin. I took me one year to redo all my loops but i am very proud now. That's when I also discovered that soft sponges suck. 
To see the wrist, you have to see the finishing position of the hand and compare it to the angle at which the hand started.  If someone begins a loop with the hand pointing down and then the loop finishes with the hand pointing up, the person is using wrist.  Wrist is not an obvious thing on the forehand side.

In that ZJK video, he is clearly using the wrist to me, even though I can't see his finishing position.  It is one of those things that I can tell because I do it.  However, I can see why you can't see it.   It's very subtle.

I agree you don't need wrist for spin.  However, wrist can make your life much easier.  When one of my clubmates asked Dimitri Ovtcharov how he generates so much power, Ovtcharov replied "Strong wrists!"
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 6:06pm
If you're actively/conscientiously wristing shots (either less or more), then you're doing it wrong anyway. The only place where it kind of manifests itself is in very spinny over the table stuff where advanced players lock their hand back far as possible for max swing length. See Wang Hao for extreme example.
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Also btw you shouldn't think too much about wrist snap. It just happens if you loosen you arm for the whip stroke. Think of when you throw a ball or something really hard, your brain will know when to release it at apex of speed after acceleration. High level players basically control the apex of that throw very precisely and consistently, that's how they always hit so hard.

exactly! the wrist snap should be the result of a relaxed effort (in all sports a good athlete must "chase" minimum effort strokes with maximum efficiency, difficult to learn but when achieved the consistency levels are peaking, martial arts work this way also) .

You said in one sentence what I was trying to clarify in 2 big paragraphs. Thank you Thumbs Up
my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 7:20pm

If you're actively/conscientiously wristing shots (either less or more), then you're doing it wrong anyway. The only place where it kind of manifests itself is in very spinny over the table stuff where advanced players lock their hand back far as possible for max swing length. See Wang Hao for extreme example.

Actually, this is not necessarily true and varys from player to player.  And there is a fine line between allowing the wrist to torque and letting the wrist torque and there is also a not-so-fine line between making the wrists stronger with exercises and having stronger wrists impact even your relaxed strokes.  Stronger wrists make relaxed strokes even more powerful!

Ultimately, everyone develops their own technique and given success and injuries etc., becomes the role model for success or failure.
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 7:32pm
There only needs to be enough wrist muscle or whatever to prevent the stroke from being unstable and control/fine-tune the general direction of the hand, unless maybe some oddball player is using it for deception or somesuch odd touch shot that only uses the wrist.

Amateur players tend to develop all sorts of cockamamie theories of how to do things when the reality is often much more straightforward. Your body already knows when it maximizes speed at contact (like in practice). That's why naturally gifted athletes are pretty quick to be good at just about anything, but the rest of us need a little help to explain what's going on.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 7:42pm
If for some reason this is confusing, go out to a field and throw some rocks/ball like you would loop the ball. Try throwing hard as you can; are you thinking about wrist? Now dial back and go as hard as you can while hitting a given far-ish spot (basically move the spot further until you can't hit it accurately); starting to think about wrist? Very good players do basically this except they can hit the ball right where they release the object every time. You can also try this in TT against robot but amateur player will only land one of X shots they execute at anywhere close to full power.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 8:18pm
AgentHex, who is the highest rated player you have had a chance to watch train/develop?
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 8:32pm
Former US #1.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 8:35pm
poor op lol, why so much complication everyone should be on the same basic wavelength here
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by reflecx reflecx wrote:

Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

F=ma is ALWAYS the appropriate equation.  That blog is about how to generate the maximum F, which is not the point of discussion here.  You can worry about generating maximum force (hips, legs, and all the other things mentioned in the blog) after you've understood how to land the ball on the table first.

So you're rather loop a backspin ball where at impact time your racket is moving at 0 m/s with acceleration of 10 m/s2 vs moving at 10 m/s with 0 acceleration?

Sorry if it wasn't clear enough, but I think in my previous posts I mentioned that you need to have enough racket speed to overcome the spin, which I pointed out that it was of no concern since even a 10 year old girl can accomplish that.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 9:34pm

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

to be frank, IMO all these convex vs concave loop is just an illusion caused by looking at the loops from a side view, try looking at them from a back view and all becomes clear. These loops have the same mechanism, the only difference is the blade angle. Ma Long and Wang Liqin loop with a very open racket angle (with an emphasis on speed), while players like Zhang Jike, Fan Zhendong and Timo Boll loop with a much more closed racket angle (with an emphasis on spin).

Concave vs convex (or really should be called less-concave) is very much real. It's possible that because it's somewhat more advanced technique that folks can get to quite decent level without knowing it, but I'm pretty sure high level player have to understand it to some extent (even if just intuitively).

To illustrate, consider the flip, the extreme of a concave "loop". The intent here is a high-ish spin/speed ratio to clear a low/short ball over the net. The brush contact is thin, which is why the stroke is almost like wrapping around the ball (vs the direct pounding of a non-concave drive). Because the brush is relatively thin for the speed of the contact, good touch is required (which is why it requires decent level to execute). Incidentally this is also why fast setups (low dwell) make this sort of precision touch shot harder to execute and significant part of why the players who emphasize early point control (ie CNT) use seemingly slower equipment than ideal for rally.

But you are correct ball feeling is very important to do this. The statements just above demonstrate why.

I completely agree!  The Chinese rubbers work well with the convex stroke precisely because it's not bouncy, when I try the same stroke with European rubbers, I can only do it with a small, shortened stroke and not with a straight armed full powered stroke.

Edited by dingyibvs - 09/03/2013 at 9:35pm
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Actually, this is not necessarily true and varys from player to player.  And there is a fine line between allowing the wrist to torque and letting the wrist torque and there is also a not-so-fine line between making the wrists stronger with exercises and having stronger wrists impact even your relaxed strokes.  Stronger wrists make relaxed strokes even more powerful!

Ultimately, everyone develops their own technique and given success and injuries etc., becomes the role model for success or failure.

Hey look, we actually agree on something!  You can most certainly intentionally use a wristy move, I've recently started doing it, and my training partner who's so used to even my most powerful loops had a TON of trouble blocking more than 2 shots in a row.  It wasn't even by design, I changed my grip slightly so that my racket lies a bit higher now, and to make the transition easier I decided to bend my wrist down and my goodness the spin it added!
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 11:41pm

F=ma is ALWAYS the appropriate equation.  That blog is about how to generate the maximum F, which is not the point of discussion here.  You can worry about generating maximum force (hips, legs, and all the other things mentioned in the blog) after you've understood how to land the ball on the table first.

So you're rather loop a backspin ball where at impact time your racket is moving at 0 m/s with acceleration of 10 m/s2 vs moving at 10 m/s with 0 acceleration?

Sorry if it wasn't clear enough, but I think in my previous posts I mentioned that you need to have enough racket speed to overcome the spin, which I pointed out that it was of no concern since even a 10 year old girl can accomplish that.

So when does your F=ma come into play? Only when the racket speed is high enough to overcome the spin?

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 11:48pm

Hey look, we actually agree on something!  You can most certainly intentionally use a wristy move, I've recently started doing it, and my training partner who's so used to even my most powerful loops had a TON of trouble blocking more than 2 shots in a row.  It wasn't even by design, I changed my grip slightly so that my racket lies a bit higher now, and to make the transition easier I decided to bend my wrist down and my goodness the spin it added!

If you hold your arm (which incl your hand) relatively loose, the wrist should already bend back during beginning of swing. Trying throwing something far (the reason to do this is set bad TT habits aside) and it's easy to observe. An intentionally "wristy" stroke means you're modifying this natural behavior for which there should be some compelling reason.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 12:00am

Former US #1.

If you know him personally (since you say you watched him train/develop), ask him what the role of the wrist is in table tennis.  Let us know if he says that the wrist should just be loose and that it has no active role in looping chop when forehand looping (I assume that you have no argument over the role of the wrist on the backhand side) or even in many other forehand strokes.  I would have thought Ovtcharov was a good enough resource, but let's hope that he can be trumped by a former US #1.

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/beginnersfaqs/f/wrists_pingpong.htm

Top players develop very strong wrists - that you think this is something amateurs make up speaks more to your ignorance than anything else.
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 12:10am
LOL:

For players with weak wrists, I would certainly recommend strengthening them as much as possible to try to bring them up to adequate levels, so that the wrist can perform its function of adding wrist snap to strokes when desired, in order to increase speed and spin, or change direction of the shot.

So overall, once a minimum amount of strength is reached, extra strength is helpful but not essential, and maintaining flexibility and touch in your wrists becomes more important.

Once enough wrist strength is present to allow strokes to be performed without a handicap, I then think that flexibility and touch in your wrist is more important than pure strength

----
What's really funny here is the mouthing off despite zero clue what he's talking about. The "wrist snap" here isn't some forced wrist motion which requires extra musculature but exactly the motion at the end of a whipped loop. You can also hold the wrist still to trade off power for some extra stability if need be. Bothering high level player for such tripe seems unnecessary.

Edited by AgentHEX - 09/04/2013 at 12:15am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 12:26am
Usually, people who are trying to be objective (as opposed to just insult people) read the whole post:

For players with normal wrist strength, I think that it certainly would not hurt to have stronger wrists when playing table tennis. I remember one of my past table tennis coaches used to have a wrist roller device, which was a long metal pipe with string wrapped around it, with a brick tied to the end of the string. You had to roll the brick up to the pipe, and then lower it again, using only your wrists. It was very good for strengthening your wrists while still keeping them flexible.

Why did this part of the article elude you?

To get extra speed/spin, the body has quite a few levers - feet/heels, knees, waist/abs, elbow, wrist, and last but not least, fingers.  No one has to use them all, but the stronger they all are, the easier it is to access power for speed and spin.

Originally posted by AgentHex AgentHex wrote:

What's funny here is the mouthing off despite zero clue what he's talking about. The "wrist snap" here isn't some forced wrist motion which requires extra musculature but exactly the motion at the end of a whipped loop. You can also hold the wrist still to trade off power for some extra stability if need be.

I guess at some point, one has to throw up one's hands and admit that making mountains out of molehills isn't worth it.  I think it is a bit deceptive to regard such control as letting the wrist be loose when there is a significant timing and grip element involved.  I doubt anyone who lets the wrist pronates does so without having learned to control it first.  However, since you have trained players to use your methods, I am sure they speak for themselves. 
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 12:35am
Finally, one can read this article and see whether the author of the article I cited thinks about wrist usage the same way AgentHex does.  But in any case, when people master something, it is easy to act as if they never worked at it.

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/TwoMinuteTips/a/Wrist-And-Risk-Management.htm

My last post on this issue.
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 12:41am
Really? For players with normal wrist strength, I think that it certainly would not hurt to have stronger wrists when playing table tennis.

So your only point here for this pathetic attempt at a burn is "don't forget to exercise wrists, too"? LOL

Here's a tip for nubs at this game: mockery only works well when it's attached to some apropos delivery vehicle. For example, an actual embarrassing error or somesuch. Starting with absolutely nothing makes you a pendant.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 12:47am

So when does your F=ma come into play? Only when the racket speed is high enough to overcome the spin?

Exactamente!  Having only one is not enough, you need both!  Of course, my original post was designed to point out a common mistake made by newbies, which is typically not the inability to generate the racket speed to overcome the spin, but the unawareness of the power of acceleration at the point of contact.

My bad for assuming that people would understand what I meant, though in retrospect it does certainly seem confusing to someone with a keen physics sense.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 12:49am

If you hold your arm (which incl your hand) relatively loose, the wrist should already bend back during beginning of swing. Trying throwing something far (the reason to do this is set bad TT habits aside) and it's easy to observe. An intentionally "wristy" stroke means you're modifying this natural behavior for which there should be some compelling reason.

I don't play baseball, but I do believe that pitchers intentionally cock their wrists in all sorts of ways to impart various additional spin to the ball, which incidentally is what you may achieve by doing the same thing with a TT stroke.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 12:53am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Finally, one can read this article and see whether the author of the article I cited thinks about wrist usage the same way AgentHex does.  But in any case, when people master something, it is easy to act as if they never worked at it.

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/TwoMinuteTips/a/Wrist-And-Risk-Management.htm

My last post on this issue.

"Type 1" (for smash) is exactly "type 2" (for loop) with a necessary change in wrist angle geared towards the shot in question. The change he's talking about is to stop locking the wrist on selective shots (I guess assuming he teaches strokes w/ locked wrist first), not somehow magically employing either one independently using musculature instead of the angular momentum of the hand (ie the snap). You're completely clueless how the basic swing works.

If anyone wanna be srs about this, consider the angular momentum of the arm during its travel vs anything which can be done by pushing w/ the wrist. The comparison shouldn't even be close.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 12:59am

I don't play baseball, but I do believe that pitchers intentionally cock their wrists in all sorts of ways to impart various additional spin to the ball, which incidentally is what you may achieve by doing the same thing with a TT stroke.

Don't play it either, but I think the basic hard throw (fastball) is just fast as possible down the chute. The curved ball are I suspect as you do done by cocking the hand slightly so the ball exits with a different spin, but same basic swing mechanics (same snap in same in-line direction as your hand, but obvious diff angle since you just changed it). The cocking itself isn't a power move far as physics is concerned.

Again, a full arm swing can knock a guy out. Now try slapping him with the wrist only and compare the amount of force and resulting difference.

Edited by AgentHEX - 09/04/2013 at 1:09am
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 2:24am

Again, a full arm swing can knock a guy out. Now try slapping him with the wrist only and compare the amount of force and resulting difference.

You gotta take into account the weight of the target you try to hit or accelerate. A TT ball is less than 3 grams. I'm no biologist but a guy's head weighs a few pounds? And it's attached to a torso! LOL

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 2:42am
The ratio of power is still the same. Even if you built some kind of super-wrist, it would have minor effect compared to arm as a whole because the range is so limited. Like mini-hammer compared to meter-long handle sledgehammer.

ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 3:38am
Originally posted by kajba kajba wrote:

Another stupid thread when I couldnt find the information I wanted. I am using tacky rubber and I have huge problems to loop heavy underspin ball and bad habits it showing. By that I mean I use movement which is half for tacky rubbers and half european rubbers which makes 80% of the time the ball doesnt go over the net.

So I just wonder if someone could make some coaching video on how to do it with multiball and stuff.

so.... hows the looping of underspin ball coming along?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 7:54am
Rather than tag people as being "clueless" or "having no clue what they are talking about", here are a couple more experts on wrist usage.  Again, let's remember the two positions that are being debated here.  AgentHex is saying that the correct way to use the wrist is to relax it so that it is torqued by the stroke, while I am saying that while that is an option, using the wrist and developing its strength so that it actually lends more spin/speed to your stroke is another option.  I think that when someone has a strong and well timed wrist motion and he can use it in a relaxed manner, it is very easy to assume it was always part of the stroke in a relaxed manner.

Here is Larry Hodges discussing a thread on this very forum.

Use of the wrist

Here's an interesting discussion of use of the wrist in table tennis. In particular see the ninth posting, which links to videos of wrist usage by "some of our sport's biggest starts." My "short" take on wrist usage? I'll quote Dan Seemiller (geez, here he is again): "When the ball is coming at you slow, use more wrist. When the ball is coming at you fast, use less wrist." Additionally, beginning players shouldn't use much wrist except on the serve and pushing. Instead, just put the wrist back and let it go through the ball naturally. As you advance, you can start using more and more wrist, especially when looping against slower balls.

I wonder whether the chop is a slower ball....
Cybershape Carbon
chopchopslam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopchopslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 10:19am
Geez what a mess of a thread. Arguments about Euro vs Chinese, convex vs concave, wrist vs no-wrist, who cares!?

The best answer to the OP's question lies within the post from blahness:

Quote I would suggest that you start looping backspin by scooping the ball up with an open blade angle and just bring the ball onto the table with good height and some side-topspin (some people call it a roll). You can loop any backspin no matter how heavy it is with this manner. As you get the feeling of neutralising the backspin and producing some decent side-topspin with this technique, start closing your blade angle and involve more of your legs to "push" the ball upwards and forwards at contact, then you will find that as you close the blade more, you would need to swing harder and the spin that you impart on the ball becomes more vicious.

Basically, learn by starting with a slow loop (lots of brushing motion, but as slow as possible forward momentum) to get the feel of returning heavy backspin. Then once that becomes more comfortable you can gradually add speed and turn it into a powerloop.

That's all you need to know!
Butterfly Grubba Pro
Tenergy 80
National Team Pogo LP .6mm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 10:28am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

next level, where are you from? I want to challenge you to a match.

I have to admit I have caught myself wrong way too often. But you simply don't have the expertise or skills or intelligence to stalk me in every thread and make condescending remarks. If you are going to do this, you really should pick someone your own level. 
Hahahaha - I'm from Philly - I will come to play you anywhere - I like beating drums for fun since they make a lot of noise.
Cybershape Carbon
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 12:11pm

[quote]
2) Many players loop the ball into the net and think that the solution is to loop harder.  That's not entirely correct.  If you find yourself looping with all your strength with a very upward motion and the ball still falls into the net, then this is likely at least a part of your problem.  The key is not to contact the ball with maximum racket speed, but with maximum racket acceleration.
This is wrong

dinglyibvs,  you should know that the speed will be a  maximum or minimum with the derivative, the acceleration, is 0.

When I watch good players loop chopped balls they usually start with the paddle down by their knee so they have plenty to time to accelerate the paddle to the desired speed before impact.   There are a few good videos of players looping balls against bogeyhunter.  There is one player bogey that bogey played with, Larry, that has a very big swing,   Bogey lost a Chinese girl that had a very big swing.  When looping back chopped balls you usually have time to make a bigger swing.   If you can accelerated the paddle over more distance the acceleration doesn't need to be as high.  This saves wear and tear on the arm and shoulder.   There is a good William Henzel video practicing looping against a Japanese chopper.   Henzel lowers his paddle to his right knee and swing up behind the ball.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic