Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Critique my game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2011 at 12:06am
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

BTW, part of my unwillingness to switch a blade is because I'm short on money too.  What do you guys think of the Friendship C-2 or C-3 all wood blade?  I can get those for under 15 bucks shipped, and they don't sound like they're too slow to let me get lazy, while they're probably a better pair with the H3N than my stiff as a brick T-11.  The overall stiffness of my FH side I think is a bit too much, it's especially evident during warmups when I want to slow things down a bit.

The C3 blade would work, I have tried one and it will be much much more controllable for you.  You could opt for a Galaxy 896 if Cole still has them, or if you want to keep using the T-11, I made mine much much slower when I used the Dawei 2008XP in 2.0mm  but Cole shows out in red colors it looks like. If he had them in for the price you could save a lot. 

Sponsored Links

patient.bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patient.bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2011 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by bonggoy bonggoy wrote:

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

RyKnocks made some good points about your serve return and your FH.  I would also add the following:

1. serve returns need to use more wrist and less forearm.  You are just pushing the ball back without imparting much spin, therefore it's easy for your opponent to attack.  Try using less forearm and make sure you chop down on the ball like RyKnocks said.  I also noticed you returned his serves to almost the same place every time.  Try chopping/returning the ball more down the line to his FH sometimes as many PH players don't usually move to cover the FH side as well.

I disagree with this. Except when flicking, I was thought to push with your forearm. More wrist means less control.

+1
No wrist movement at all, only forearm - except for serves and over the table chiquita flicks.

Stiga AR NCT + Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm.....and a few others
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2011 at 1:10am
Wow, I didn't expect so many responses for such a crappy quality video, thanks to everyone for the advice!  It seems like from the advice I've gotten that the top three areas I need to work on are FH control, BH technique, and service returns.

I think my plan is to work on the BH technique first, as it also contributes greatly to a second area in service returns. My attacking of long serves to the BH has a pretty low percentage, and attempts to push back long serves to the BH often results in an easy opportunity for the opponent.  I'm so worried about services to my BH before every point that it affects my short game on the FH side as well mentally.

As for the FH control, I have been working almost exclusively on my BH since receiving my new setup, so I haven't really attempted to adjust to it yet.  I'll start mixing in some FH practices too and see if I can tame the beast.  After that, I'll decide if any equipment change is necessary.  I might change the FH rubber pretty soon though, since I'm not sure if the very stiff blade + very hard rubber combo is ever gonna work for my style.

I think I'll work on my services last, since it's probably the most effective part of my game.  It's hard to see on the video, but both my opponent and I serve the whole gamut of spins and placement from the same motion, and we rarely commit errors.

BTW, what rating would you guys give me right now?  I know it's hard to rate based on videos, especially on such a poor quality one, but considering there isn't gonna be a USATT sanctioned tournament in south Florida for the rest of the year(like wtf?) I'd like to know a rough estimate so I can compare later.  My opponent's rating is ~1700.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic