Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

critique my grip (pictures)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
chocolate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: critique my grip (pictures)
    Posted: 10/12/2009 at 8:13pm
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/188/dsc00133ft.jpg
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4235/dsc00134.jpg

Is this grip ok?  Most people do not put the thumb where I do. 

You can see from stain on the backhand rubber that that finger moves around a bit, occasionally I hit finger instead of rubber.

I tried  holding my Clipper (black rubbers each side Tongue) with my thumb down and it felt wrong and opened the angle of my bat.

I am trying to decide if this grip is worth correcting.  I would rather keep it as it would probably take at least a few weeks to adapt and this grip feels most natural to me.
Sponsored Links

silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 8:32pm
Have you considered taking up full-contact chess?  Maybe tsunami surfing?  Because that grip ainagonna work for table tennis.
ChopSmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChopSmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 9:04pm
First time I've ever seen that one. Confused
Dawei Genote S
FH Nittaku Hammond Pro β
BH Yasaka Mark V
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 9:07pm
Hmm... Without the thumb pressing the FH side, it's hard to have consistent BH with your grip. I guess you might make it work by grabbing the handle tight... I wouldn't worry about the index finger, because your grip is so shallow it won't stick into the hitting sweet spot.
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 9:10pm
um, seriously? I mean...how can you control the blade like that? And short game?
Metallis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 9:13pm
Your fh must suck with this grip...i mean,you entire game must suck with this,try to slowly adapt it and you see you well be a lot better.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 9:14pm
Its the kind of grip that doesn't work for the short game.  On the other hand, its poor at mid-court.  But when it comes to deeper in the court, it fails completely.  Can't loop or chop, hitting has no power and it won't be effective blocking.  Service is weak.

Other than that, its great!

Confused 

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 9:34pm
you are close to using a V grip a-la seemiller...
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

wkm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 9:48pm
A member in my club hold his Blade in the same style .

My conly omment was "change or otherwise your game will be always limited.."
chocolate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 10:05pm
It is not that horrible.  The thumb stabilizes the paddle nicely, almost as if I had a second thumb and I were pinching that area of the paddle with both thumbs.

I have only been playing for a little over a year, and I have been progressing nicely so far without hitting any plateaus.   With some level of competence, I can do everything other than chopping.

My main training partner had switched to hard bat for a while, hitting through spin and blocking, and last week he switched back to inverted and is not playing his best, so this would be a good time for me to change my grip if I decide to.  
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 10:09pm
Go for the switch. It'll be tough for a while but the payback will be much worth it.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
FH: H3 No. 21
BH:Spectol
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 10:22pm
I can tell already your BH is your weak point.
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 11:05pm
I would highly recommend changing to a standard grip before your current one becomes any more engrained.  Here is another important reason why.  Even if your current grip does not impede certain shots (which I highly doubt), it will impede the learning process because it will be hard to apply coaching through peoples advice or videos because your grip will change how you have to hit shots and standard technique may not work with your grip. 
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 11:11pm
I don't think you need to ask us. I think you need to find a qualified coach who can SHOW you why this grip is going to limit you and may already be limiting you. It is your game, but I have never seen anyone using this grip and for me I can say that I would not be able to have a stable enough feeling to be able to smash and loop drive well, also I feel I would not be able to have the proper angle for stroke development down the line.
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 11:41pm
You should switch to either the standard shakehand or seemiller grip. If you play inverted rubbers, I would suggest shakehand. Your existing grip is somewhere between the two.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 11:42pm
Just go to a good coach and get some help.
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 11:42pm

Source:TT Wikki

You can move your thumb and or index finger over the writing on the rubber
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by chocolate chocolate wrote:

It is not that horrible.  The thumb stabilizes the paddle nicely, almost as if I had a second thumb and I were pinching that area of the paddle with both thumbs.

I have only been playing for a little over a year, and I have been progressing nicely so far without hitting any plateaus.   With some level of competence, I can do everything other than chopping.

My main training partner had switched to hard bat for a while, hitting through spin and blocking, and last week he switched back to inverted and is not playing his best, so this would be a good time for me to change my grip if I decide to.  

1.  It is that horrible.

2.  You won't / can't progress because you can't make / control better shots.

Just go to a good table tennis coach and get some real help.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2009 at 12:02am
Yeah, sorry if you don't want to hear this... but you asked. Most people who are serious about TT have to adjust their grip a bit, you are not alone in this. However, he is right in saying it IS that bad and you should really consider breaking this bad grip now, otherwise you will be bummed down the line.
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2009 at 12:16am
Originally posted by MildSeven MildSeven wrote:

You should switch to either the standard shakehand or seemiller grip. If you play inverted rubbers, I would suggest shakehand. Your existing grip is somewhere between the two.
I advise just go with standard. Don't switch to Seemiller unless Seemiller is your coach. There is not many coaches around that can teach you proper technique with Seemiler and most likely Seemiler itself has it's limiatations or more serious people would pick it up otherwise.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2009 at 12:16am
Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

Yeah, sorry if you don't want to hear this... but you asked. Most people who are serious about TT have to adjust their grip a bit, you are not alone in this. However, he is right in saying it IS that bad and you should really consider breaking this bad grip now, otherwise you will be bummed down the line.

I'm sorry that so many others were rude in this thread. i think Dauntless does one of the better jobs of being straightforward yet diplomatic.

One of my clubmates has a 2300 coach and, still uses this grip. He has been stuck at about US700 for 2 years now (lack of backhand stability, too much reliance on wrist for shots, and an overall lack of consistency because of where the "flex" occurs).
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
chocolate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2009 at 12:41am
I am convinced.  I will change to the standard grip. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2009 at 12:43am

I am convinced.  I will change to the standard grip. 

And find a good table tennis coach.  You can't learn on your own.
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2009 at 12:51am
Here is a word of encouragement about changing grips from my own experience.  I used a close to normal grip but with a little bit wrong.  When I started playing more seriously at a club I was advised to change to a standard grip.  At first it felt extremely awkward and I struggled to even make contact and keep the ball on the table.  I felt like I should ignore the advice and keep playing like I was.  But I stuck with it and my game suffered terribly for the next few times playing, but as soon as I started to get comfortable with it my game drastically improved and I was able to make much better shots and have much greater consistency than I ever could with the wrong grip.  It also allowed me to learn how to do all the strokes properly since their teaching assumes a proper grip.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2009 at 9:59am
I can't stand people that show up with demented grips like that. I refuse to tech them anything if they wont fix it. You're just wasting you're time and everyone elses (really :) ). Change it first thing as of tomorrow and you will be forever thankfull you asked the question a few months from now

asyraf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asyraf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2009 at 10:19am

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/188/dsc00133ft.jpg
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4235/dsc00134.jpg

Is this grip ok?� Most people do not put the thumb where I do.�

You can see from stain on the backhand rubber that that finger moves around a�bit, occasionally I hit finger instead of rubber.

I tried� holding my Clipper (black rubbers each side Tongue) with my thumb down and it felt wrong and opened the angle of my bat.

I am trying to decide if this grip is worth correcting.� I would rather keep it as it would probably take at least a few weeks to adapt and this grip feels most natural to me.

how can you play with such that grip? look at the picture above.. it is ok..
Blade: TBS
FH: Sriver L 2.1mm
BH: Vega Europe Max
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2009 at 10:37am
regular shakehand grip will allow you to have better strokes and change the angle of the blade better, better stability, more consistency in blade angle.
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2009 at 11:08am
must    change     grip

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2009 at 10:48pm
im thinking this be a worser grip than chilas, at least chila has ballfeeling 
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2009 at 12:43am
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

I can't stand people that show up with demented grips like that. I refuse to tech them anything if they wont fix it.

How about just offering the simple advice "if you keep that grip, you're consistency and development will suffer". And leaving it at that?

I kind of feel like a hypocrite, because I'm actually in frog's boat; one person who wants to drill with me simply *will not* give up his malfunctioning grip (grips at base of handle with one finger along spine of handle). And I make excuses not to drill with him, because the inconsistency his wrist action causes is excrutiating to deal with. He can't hit the same spin or placement twice because there are simply too many moving parts.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic