Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

critique my grip (pictures)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2009 at 2:08am
i used to have my thumb on the logo area of the rubber to hit my bh because it felt more stable, but i had to switch while hitting fh shots.  i eventually switched so my thumb position is the same for fh and bh.  never looked back because its worth it.  it didnt seem like it mattered, even such a small adjustment but it does.

change grips now before it gets worst.  if you actually have aspirations to play seriously, do it now.

if you are still confident that your grip is fine, im sure you will be confident enough to post a video of yourself playing to prove us wrong.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2009 at 2:26am
my question is: do you use the same rubber for bh and fh hits? if yes then move on to seemiler grip by having the thumb over the rubber (move the handle down between the thumb and index finger).
It will give you:
-a fantastic bh attack (all those short underspin serves you will just loop them all over the table).
-a wonderful block on both sides (windshield wiper style, with the same rubber).
the people I see using that grip have a weaker fh but that does not mean weak; only weaker than the bh.
but 1st things first:do you hit with the same side of the blade on both bh and fh with your current grip?
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2009 at 2:54am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

I can't stand people that show up with demented grips like that. I refuse to tech them anything if they wont fix it.

How about just offering the simple advice "if you keep that grip, you're consistency and development will suffer". And leaving it at that?

I kind of feel like a hypocrite, because I'm actually in frog's boat; one person who wants to drill with me simply *will not* give up his malfunctioning grip (grips at base of handle with one finger along spine of handle). And I make excuses not to drill with him, because the inconsistency his wrist action causes is excrutiating to deal with. He can't hit the same spin or placement twice because there are simply too many moving parts.

I wasn't being angry, just telling it how it is :) it's got to change, I'll have no hard feelings when he's fixed it :D and we don't sugar coat things too much down here in the Southern hemisphere.

Like you I've had HEAPS of kids that refuse to give up their special grip, I've never seen not even one of them get anywhere in the game while all the kids with correct grips go straight past them. So if you would like to stay at the low end of your club forever then sure, be weird :) but it's really not a good idea. I played with a guy in my team just this year that has a stupid grip amoung alot of other problems and he wont listen to any advice I tell him unless I get a bit forcefull with him, even then it only lasts for a couple of minutes :p so I give up.

I don't know why anyone would want to play like seemiler either, you can see him on youtube, he's jsut an average looking club player now, I understand hes still highly ranked but.... It surely doesn't show up on video

Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2009 at 10:39am
Originally posted by theman theman wrote:

im thinking this be a worser grip than chilas, at least chila has ballfeeling 

(read Bruce Lee style)
Ballfeeling MASTER... don't you forget it buddy.
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2009 at 11:28am
Please please take it from me, my friend.  When I first started, my grip was very similar to this, I forced myself to change and I'm SO glad I did.  I started getting SO much better SO fast.  It took a month or two to fully adapt, but it's 100000x worth it.

Change to the textbook shakehand grip.  You'll thank me later. 
chocolate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2009 at 2:06pm

I played a few games today with the standard grip.  With backhand, it was immediately clear that this will be an improvement once I get used to it after a few weeks. 

Forehand was much more problematic.  Fully extended arm topspin strokes felt ok, perhaps even marginally better although with no consistency yet. 

Forehand topspinning balls which come down the middle toward me seems to be the main weakness of the standard grip.  With the old grip, I could start with my paddle by my hip and move the paddle directly upward, producing a powerful spinny shot with a quick recovery for the next ball. 

To topspin without an extended arm it seems that I will now have to use  my feet  to turn my entire body so that I am facing toward my right, although this will take more time to execute and more time to recover for the next stroke.

Is this correct?  For a ball which comes down the middle, if I do not have time to move away from the ball so that I can fully extend the arm, I must turn the entire body? 

Anyway, I plan to keep using the standard grip instead of my old one. 

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2009 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by chocolate chocolate wrote:

To topspin without an extended arm it seems that I will now have to use  my feet  to turn my entire body so that I am facing toward my right, although this will take more time to execute and more time to recover for the next stroke.

Is this correct?  For a ball which comes down the middle, if I do not have time to move away from the ball so that I can fully extend the arm, I must turn the entire body? 

Now you have a good understanding chocolate!  

Yes....it is highly important to have correct body position by moving your feet.  You will soon be adjusting your FH positions in accordance with these shots that come at your belly and hitting elbow.  You are now realizing that you can not just play table tennis by moving your hands and arms.....your feet and body are crucial to all the strokes you make. 

Keep practicing with the correct grip and you will soon feel it is normal. 

Thumbs%20Up

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2009 at 5:12pm
i agree with Rich21, you cant just stand there like a tree stump.  footwork is very important.  if you plan to get any real power with an extended arm shot (assuming its the chinese straight arm loop) you need to get the power from your legs.

but with the grip you previously had, i dont see how you could possibly get a lot of spin.  the mechanics just arent there.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
enkidu34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enkidu34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2009 at 3:03am
i also have a loose grip before, i think a year and a half ago, almost same as your grip chocolate but not with the thumb. it gave power in my fh but my bh suffered. i can only do blocks and pushes. also im very inconsistent. so a friend who is now based in US adviced me to hold the grip nearer the head so i will have a bh spin and also be more consistent. It was difficult at first but a few weeks after that i got the hang of it. my bh improved and so is my consistency. So my advice to you is change your grip as early as now. Thumbs%20Up
Blade: Butterfly Holy Crown
Forehand: Tenergy 64
Backhand: Tenergy 64

wooh 7 lives to go!!! lucky me!
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2009 at 5:05am

That's my grip close to and over the table. I change it slightly for long range

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2009 at 5:15am
Very far from the table I'll let the blade drop the back to the flange and play like this (don't know why but that's what I do)

Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2009 at 5:16am
You have a secsy hand...
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2009 at 5:17am
I know, all the older check out ladies in the supermarket used to tell me that when I went to pay lmao :P

Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2009 at 5:22am
i loled
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
chocolate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2009 at 12:50pm
I practiced last night for a few hours just hitting the ball across an empty room, and then played again this morning.  I was suprised to win 3 of 4 games against my usual training partner.  My skill is transferring over much more quickly than I had expected.

Backhand is already significantly stronger than before.  It is now very natural to produced very angled shots backhand to backhand and forehand to forehand.  Using my forehand to attack the backhand is not as good as before, but I no longer need this shot because I can attack the backhand with my backhand.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2009 at 11:42am
congrats on the conversion!

FH to BH (down the line) will come. Don't worry about "inside out" (sidespin) yet, however!
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic