Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom graphic ping pong paddles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
grubbafan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grubbafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 5:13pm
I just noticed.....so, the image is right under the rubber? meaning you can see the image right through the rubber? Dude, you're selling at the wrong crowd....most people who posts here are mainly those who are playing the game competitively, and also those who are considering to take the game seriously. FYI, there's a two colour rule for competitive table tennis (i.e. must be red on one side and black on the other). Also, the rubber must be approved by ITTF, the governing body of the sport. These products may appeal to basement players or purchased as a novelty....but I must say that the price is a little too high. Most of us can get good quality blades that can be used competitively at those prices.

In any case, I wish you good luck for your business.

Blade : Butterfly Andrzej Grubba FL
FH : Butterfly Sriver
BH : Butterfly Sriver
Sponsored Links

grubbafan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grubbafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Originally posted by grubbafan grubbafan wrote:

Well, I actually customised the graphics on my blades myself...

I use "Lazertran Waterslide Decal Paper for Inkjet Printers". Pretty cool, huh? Smile

That's really well done grubbafan! DId you seal the blade afterwards?Wink

Yup, I spray lacquer to seal image onto the blade...any acrylic clear lacquer would do, but most people recommend using "Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear".

Originally posted by wawaicetea123 wawaicetea123 wrote:

That is really cool. Please explain in further detail!

I print the image that I want onto the transfer paper, and then I cut to the size of the blade. Then, I place the transfer paper in water for about 1 minute to remove the backing sheet. After that, I placed the image on my blade and let it dry for about 1 hour. After the image has dried up, I spray lacquer onto the blade. I let it dry for several hours and repeat as needed (I put about 3 layers). After the lacquer dried up, I attach the rubbers and play! Smile

Pretty simple process, really. Smile

Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by idahowinger idahowinger wrote:

look better than ANYTHING out there.

More beautiful than this?

I am sorry mate, I think you came to the wrong forum.

Good luck

Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Well that's real nice!Confused

This is mostly table tennis forum for people that are serious about their game, and want to improve. To say your blades are "Thing of a Stiga type" shows you know very little about blades, as a lot of research and technology goes into these blades, they are not just simple pieces of wood.

Nothing wrong with custom making blade, with some fancy graphics, but don't go promoting them as quality and performance better than much higher quality blades unless you know this is actually true...

You said "I spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching, contacting vendors and testing hundreds of possible materials"... well I think a few hours looking around on this forum, you would have learned a lot more about blades, and it would have been free.

If you post here just to promote your product, and then can't take some critisism, you're in the wrong place. This forum is not a free advertising place for you just to promote you products.

+1
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
grubbafan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grubbafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 6:17pm
I've spent thousands of dollars too....on EJ-ing! hehe! LOLLOLLOL

idahowinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahowinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 6:22pm
In my opinion, yes. Much better than that. I know the rules; red/black, diff colors each side, yada yada....that's not my target client. I guess I was wrong to come to a forum like this. I'm assuming most here are playing or want to play at the competitive levels. That's great. I'm marketing to those that just want this to be a fun sport again. That isn't this crowd. Most of you seem to take this way too seriously. I'm not here 'pimping' my paddles per say, although I thought this was the place to tell people about TT products. Didn't know the P.C. TT police would shoot me down for having a product that looks good and plays well. Thanks to all who said kind things. Maybe the pricing is a bit high. Sounds like it from the comments. Very good to know. Thanks for that little bit of info. All the best.
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 6:50pm

In my opinion, yes. Much better than that. I know the rules; red/black, diff colors each side, yada yada....that's not my target client. I guess I was wrong to come to a forum like this. I'm assuming most here are playing or want to play at the competitive levels. That's great. I'm marketing to those that just want this to be a fun sport again. That isn't this crowd. Most of you seem to take this way too seriously. I'm not here 'pimping' my paddles per say, although I thought this was the place to tell people about TT products. Didn't know the P.C. TT police would shoot me down for having a product that looks good and plays well. Thanks to all who said kind things. Maybe the pricing is a bit high. Sounds like it from the comments. Very good to know. Thanks for that little bit of info. All the best.

The sport we all advocate is fun and friendly. It is also very competitive and serious. I must inform you that most of us have a low tolerance to it being related to just a "game" in a basement because so many of us put everything we have(money included Big%20smile) into table tennis. We want the game to be played and taken seriously. I am sure we don't mean to be jerks to you it is just that your proposal to this group of of players is simply farfetched and blown way out of proportion. Comparing $200+ bats to a blade that is "similar to that of stiga" is not what we are looking for. I appreciate your efforts but i can assure you no one here is looking for yoda on thier rubber for a competitive, serious, friendly game.
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 6:57pm
well, first of all.. you advertise as having stuff at great prices, better than expensive equiptment quality.. and now you back off of both of those statments... Now you say it might be a little high? these are just regular wood of the stiga type? what does that even mean?! stiga is a brand name.. come on now.. and who do you think you are to say we take the game way too seriously? I have plenty of fun actually hitting like a man and spinning the ball making big loop shots and getting into exciting, athletic rallies. More so than i would just dinking the ball back and fourth over the net. this sport is plenty fun.. thats why we all play it like we do. TABLE TENNIS.. is an exciting and addicting sport at high levels. you are marketing ping pong products, not table tennis products. your ignorance of this sport BLEEDS through in your comments.

I had no problem being nice, supportive of someone trying to make a dream of theirs happen.. but when you start being insulting then its clear you aren't going to make it very well with that attitude. You should expect criticism of all kinds.. especially in a forum full of serious, tournament level players to whom you are ADVERTISING. you are using this site as free advertisement.. and we are letting you. you should appreciate that a little bit, huh? instead of being insulting to us, the actual players. Almost none of which are snobby, and none of us take this too seriously. We just enjoy the SPORT.. not the GAME. Its people like you who retain the bad image of american table tennis.. and keep it enstilled in basement ping pong.
I can build together on zeropong.com a choice of blade and two sheets of rubber.. not bad looking rackets, and well performing ones i might add.. for around 40 bucks. I had no problem with you until you started insulting TT players. I think you have a good idea, and good potential on some level. But comments like that are what can ruin your chances.

Maybe what i said was a little bit harsh.. but thats where comments like calling us snobby people who take this too seriously get you. The majority of the comments you got weren't bad ones at all.. yet you still generalize us as snobs who take this too seriously.. for a lot of us this IS our sport.. its our thing that we compete at and have fun. So what difference is there in insulting someones hobby and insulting someones product? not much, huh?

maybe instead of whining, you should provide ACTUAL information about your product. What rubber do you even put on there for instance? if it covers the graphic, then whats the point of your argument? the handle is plain.. and if the rubber covers the graphic.. then it looks even worse than what you get anywhere else.. but this is from the view of the point you're trying to make...

so at the very least.. post some more information about your product  before resorting to withdrawling and insulting.  

thanks
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 7:09pm

In my opinion, yes. Much better than that. I know the rules; red/black, diff colors each side, yada yada....that's not my target client. I guess I was wrong to come to a forum like this.

Possibly.  But mostly the thing you did wrong was respond to criticism poorly.

And calling everybody else's racket ugly, calling competitive players snobs and suggesting that somehow competitive play isn't fun is a poor approach in any table tennis forum.

BTW, having a picture on or under the rubber can certainly be fun.  But let's face it, that kind of fun wears thin fairly quickly.

I'm assuming most here are playing or want to play at the competitive levels. That's great. I'm marketing to those that just want this to be a fun sport again. That isn't this crowd. Most of you seem to take this way too seriously.

No.  Most of us take the sport at an appropriate level of seriousness.

I'm not here 'pimping' my paddles per say, although I thought this was the place to tell people about TT products. Didn't know the P.C. TT police would shoot me down for having a product that looks good and plays well.

There are no TT Police here.  Just people that want you to substantiate your claims about playability.  If you had been able to come back and substantiate your claims with something like, "My blades play like a mid-quality all-round blade and the rubber is somewhat like 729-FX" or something similar, you would have garnered much greater forum cred.

As it sits, I suspect most of us figure your paddles will probably play about as well as a $25 Stiga premade.

Thanks to all who said kind things. Maybe the pricing is a bit high. Sounds like it from the comments. Very good to know. Thanks for that little bit of info. All the best.

Bring your paddle to a USATT club in your area.  Ask a few players to try them out and tell you how they play.  Then you can report on the real playability.

Oh - here's an idea.  Market the paddles as "trophies" for tournament wins.  I don't know about everyone else here, but I certainly wouldn't mind a paddle with tournament logo as an alternative to a shiny trophy.

I think there is potential value in your product.  It appears to be unique.  My advice to you is to listen more and to be less defensive.

Maybe you should check out tabletennis.about.com with a different attitude and see what kind of feedback you get.  That is another group of competitive types.  Make sure you wear a thick skin and listen to the feedback for potential opportunities.

Oh - one more thing.  Is the picture on both sides or one side?  For something like a trophy paddle or a custom paddle you could offer the paddle with graphics on one side only at a lower cost or two sides for a higher cost.

Can a customer mix "Touch" and "Heat" rubber to have a combo racket?  Can a customer have two pictures on one racket?

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 7:24pm

Here's a potential approach:

Hey guys.  Take a look at my cool paddles.  I don't think you've seen anything quite like them. 

Sure, they aren't ITTF legal. But they are fun and don't play half bad either.

And I can also put your own custom graphics and paddles on them.  I'm interested in what competitive players think.

Thanks,

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahowinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 7:46pm
I kind of thought that's how I started out. Now It seems not. I really do apologize for offending anyone here. Not my intent at all. I love the 'game' of pong and can appreciate it as a sport. It's a fantastic thing, whatever you call it and wherever you play it. I guess I'm forgetting that TT is so many different things to so many different people. For that I am sorry. I meant no offense.

Some quick info:
The rubber is clear. That is what took me on my wild ride to start this business. It's not cheap.  It really works.  Maybe not up to the standards of a 200 dollar paddle but I've never claimed that it does. The blade is 5ply normal grade wood. Wish I could get better blades made but for now, and trying to keep costs down that's what I have.  Basically, they are all around good paddles that look good. The image shows during play, hence the clear rubber. that was my goal. I'm always looking for ways to improve so over time I'm sure the blades and rubber will get better. But for now, good paddles that look cool. Corporate logos, girlfriends, naked chicks...I'm making them all.  Just did one for a guys bachelor party. Had a great pic of him and all his mates on each side. Gave one to each groomsmen.

All the best.

radical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 9:39pm
I really like what you have done with the paddles.  For now I buy paddles that I can use in a tournament.  I will likely buy some paddles as artwork to hang in my room in the future.
Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 10:22pm
Just sell blades without those things that make it fast and stuff. Just make all wood blades that are not playable with pictures. That way they can be just decorations at home.
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 11:10pm

I kind of thought that's how I started out. Now It seems not. I really do apologize for offending anyone here. Not my intent at all. I love the 'game' of pong and can appreciate it as a sport. It's a fantastic thing, whatever you call it and wherever you play it. I guess I'm forgetting that TT is so many different things to so many different people. For that I am sorry. I meant no offense.

Some quick info:
The rubber is clear. That is what took me on my wild ride to start this business. It's not cheap.  It really works.  Maybe not up to the standards of a 200 dollar paddle but I've never claimed that it does. The blade is 5ply normal grade wood. Wish I could get better blades made but for now, and trying to keep costs down that's what I have.  Basically, they are all around good paddles that look good. The image shows during play, hence the clear rubber. that was my goal. I'm always looking for ways to improve so over time I'm sure the blades and rubber will get better. But for now, good paddles that look cool. Corporate logos, girlfriends, naked chicks...I'm making them all.  Just did one for a guys bachelor party. Had a great pic of him and all his mates on each side. Gave one to each groomsmen.

All the best.

@idahowinger
It takes a big man to apologize and accept criticism with appreciation.  I applaud you.

Perhaps if you could post more close-up pictures of your finished products here, you might be able to generate more interests and attract potential customers.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 11:48pm
Actually, if you would consider selling one blade for very cheap "trial" purpose to one of the member here who then could try it and give review of it, it would be great...

Or, if you send a free sample, he then can send it to whoever wants to try your blade. Who knows, after trying it out we would know about the playability of your products...

If I were living in the states I would certainly give it a try for you...

instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 11:54pm
thank you idahowinger. I agree with the above statement.. and what you said answers most all questions and my girlfriend even just told me she wants one lol. Potential customer, huh?. No hard feelings :) and thanks for clearing everything up.

good luck.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 1:34am
I would buy something like it if it were less expensive and I was more sure about playability. Maybe you should try out a rubber from zeropong or colestt.com to compare yours. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahowinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 2:12pm
"Can a customer mix "Touch" and "Heat" rubber to have a combo racket?  Can a customer have two pictures on one racket?"

Very good question...Yes, you can have a different picture/graphic on each side. I've never 'sold' a mixed rubber paddle although my own personal "yoda" paddle is mixed. I can flip during play if I want a harder FH or BH.

tomtomny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomtomny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 9:41am

I never took ping pong players to be such snobs. Some of you have been nice and I thank you for your words. For the others, well these paddles are NOT for you. I'm wanting TT to be fun again. Maybe it's the 'basement' mentality some of you have mentioned. I'm not looking to play in tournements and win money. I'm looking for a good all around paddle that doesn't look like a big piece of crap. EVERY paddle I see that is mass produced looks like crap. Plain and simple. The graphic is UNDER the rubber so it never interferes with play. For now the blade is your average 5 ply with the normal shape/size/weight. Thing of a Stiga type. Not a graphite/composite/what have you blade. Something the normal guy can afford and also add his own unique look to. That's it. Geeze....Like them or don't. that's up to you. But can any of you honestly say (taking the rules aside) that these paddles do NOT look better than anything you have seen? Come on now. Forget the rules. Live by your own. Thank you for listening.�

LOL, I'm sure the guys are just being honest. I mean it is a cool idea but, I don't need a pretty paddle to win the game. I don't need a cool graphics paddle for me to like the game.
And most of all, I really doubt that people who never tried TT suddenly wanna try TT out because they saw a pretty paddle =)
Innerforce ZLC CS
FH: Tenergy 64 Red
BH: Tenergy 64 Blk
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by tomtomny tomtomny wrote:

And most of all, I really doubt that people who never tried TT suddenly wanna try TT out because they saw a pretty paddle =)

You'd be surprised...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahowinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 12:31am
"LOL, I'm sure the guys are just being honest. I mean it is a cool idea but, I don't need a pretty paddle to win the game. I don't need a cool graphics paddle for me to like the game.
And most of all, I really doubt that people who never tried TT suddenly wanna try TT out because they saw a pretty paddle =)"

That's really not the point. When I lived at the beach I would surf, 99% of the surfboards were custom painted with cool designs and images. Didn't help the surfer a bit. it's just fun to have something different to play with. When I made my first demo paddle, a very evil looking Darth Vader one, my friends and old co workers went nuts.  It's just something new and different looking.
Same goes with most sports/games. There is lots of customization going on in most sports nowadays. Why not TT?

tomtomny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomtomny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 1:12am

"LOL, I'm sure the guys are just being honest. I mean it is a cool idea
but, I don't need a pretty paddle to win the game. I don't need a cool
graphics paddle for me to like the game.
And most of all, I really doubt that people who never tried TT suddenly wanna try TT out because they saw a pretty paddle =)"
That's really not the point. When I lived at the beach I would surf, 99% of the surfboards were custom painted with cool designs and images. Didn't help the surfer a bit. it's just fun to have something different to play with. When I made my first demo paddle, a very evil looking Darth Vader one, my friends and old co workers went nuts.� It's just something new and different looking. Same goes with most sports/games. There is lots of customization going on in most sports nowadays. Why not TT?

Wow now you are comparing TT with surfing LOL.
There are certain sports that the looks is somewhat important.
I'm not saying TT is totally not. Just not the blade.
since you brought "surfing" into this...
People who love surfing, how important is graphics on their board compare to them surfing on it? get my point? would be nice if the graphics are cool on their board but it won't be important for them as long as they could surf right. Having cool graphics on their board and keep drowning wouldn't be so cool would it?
Now back to TT... let say Wang Hao or Ma Lin or Timo Boll or any one of those top players uses a cool graphics blade, you think you'd be able to see the graphics? TT is one of the fastest ball game!
Because you love basketball so much you go out and paint your ball??
Because you love baseball so much you go out and paint your bat??
What I'm saying is there are certain things that you don't need... or you coils say "people won't care"
Innerforce ZLC CS
FH: Tenergy 64 Red
BH: Tenergy 64 Blk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic