FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

deceptive FH pendulum serve video tutorial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: deceptive FH pendulum serve video tutorial
    Posted: 01/24/2019 at 6:22pm
Hey mickd, if you have time maybe try translating this, it's very similar to my FH pendulum action but I think it will likely be very useful for the rest!

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2019 at 9:46pm
Hey man. I'll add it to my list. It'll most likely take longer than my previous one, though. I'm got a few extra things to prepare for work these next 2 weeks.
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2019 at 10:39pm
Man, I couldn't get a single word of the auto-translation but it looks amazing :)
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2019 at 10:53pm
ROFL man, those auto generated subs are hilarious. I just opened it to see. It's probably a lot worse than it should be because he doesn't speak in complete sentences. He often cuts the sentence and changes what he says part way without really pausing. And he speaks pretty fast.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2019 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

ROFL man, those auto generated subs are hilarious. I just opened it to see. It's probably a lot worse than it should be because he doesn't speak in complete sentences. He often cuts the sentence and changes what he says part way without really pausing. And he speaks pretty fast.

Yeah I tried that it's giving me stuff like "Move the left and right while mixing the left and right more"
-------
Viscaria

Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2019 at 5:19pm
For me he was talking a lot about noodles.

I say we open a subscribestar for mickd and pay him to translate that entire channel
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2019 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

For me he was talking a lot about noodles.

I say we open a subscribestar for mickd and pay him to translate that entire channel

Not a bad idea, I'd chip in.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2019 at 10:08pm
Another vid where he explains some very very important concepts about serves as a whole (about how not to telegraph your serves etc making them more deceptive), as well as a particularly cool serve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4U8wY_puJc

Edited by Lightzy - 01/25/2019 at 10:09pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

Another vid where he explains some very very important concepts about serves as a whole (about how not to telegraph your serves etc making them more deceptive), as well as a particularly cool serve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4U8wY_puJc

Yes it looks like a technique to disguise not telegraphing your serves between hook serves and pendulum by using the exact same preparatory movement. I do it quite similarly except I think it's easier to change the backswing of the pendulum to fit the hook serve rather than the way he used which is to use the pendulum serve backswing for the hook serve.

The last section at 15:10 onwards is one of the best explanations for the hook serve I've seen on YouTube so far, most of the other tutorial videos are just plain wrong. There's two distinct wrist movements, which is a FH chop similar to a FH tomahawk chop, the other is hooking the wrist upwards similar to a reverse pendulum topspin serve. The chop produces heavy side underspin and the hooking upwards produces heavy side topspin. In all cases, one does the chop then quickly followed by the upwards hook. One is the true wrist motion used to produce the spin and the other one is a fake. If you do it fast enough it'll be a jerky movement that is extremely difficult to read. Par Gerell along with Xu Xin and Anton Kallberg are the best hook servers at the moment imo...
-------
Viscaria

Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2019 at 11:12am
More than that, he shows why some other attempts at 'deceptive' motions are bad (because if I can see how you hold your racket behind your back etc)
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2019 at 8:34am
Haha thanks for the encouraging words, guys. Your thoughts are plenty. Just thinking about the size of his channel, it'll probably take a team of translators full time over a year to translate everything!

I'll definitely keep working on things, it'll just take some time. I've translated like 30% of the video that Tt Gold linked in the other thread (the one about adding power to the FH), and I'll get around to working on this one, too.

I've got a big presentation to do for work in 1.5 weeks and I haven't actually finished making the presentation yet :D Once that's done, I'll probably be able to work on some translations at a faster rate.

I also had a small local tournament today, and spent 8 hours playing table tennis yesterday (though 5 hours was me 'coaching'). Oops :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic