Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Defensive player losing ability to attack?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Defensive player losing ability to attack?
    Posted: 05/24/2015 at 3:43am
  As a defensive player, I notice ever since I started more than 10 years ago. The attack seem to be less and less effective as the time goes by. I am sure it's not all about my physical ability. Somehow, players can defend against my attack much better than I started. It also has no relationship with opponent familiar with me. I've been moving around and playing different location. I do see a very strong indication that modern player are 10 time more well train in defending the modern defensive player attacks. Even younger player seem to be dealing my counter attack much better than 8 years ago. Watching all the recent video of choppers like Joo, Shiono, Filus...etc. Attack seem to be less effective as attacker can generally start defending and find chance to counter the counter attack.

What is the contribution of the increase in ability in defending counter attack from defensive players?

I'd love to hear some thought. I believe it's going to help me coaching younger defensive players.

Edited by a23096713 - 05/24/2015 at 3:49am
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
Sponsored Links

boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2015 at 6:07am
Originally posted by a23096713 a23096713 wrote:

As a defensive player, I notice ever since I started more than 10 years ago. The attack seem to be less and less effective as the time goes by. I am sure it's not all about my physical ability. Somehow, players can defend against my attack much better than I started. It also has no relationship with opponent familiar with me. I've been moving around and playing different location. I do see a very strong indication that modern player are 10 time more well train in defending the modern defensive player attacks. Even younger player seem to be dealing my counter attack much better than 8 years ago. Watching all the recent video of choppers like Joo, Shiono, Filus...etc. Attack seem to be less effective as attacker can generally start defending and find chance to counter the counter attack.

What is the contribution of the increase in ability in defending counter attack from defensive players?

I'd love to hear some thought. I believe it's going to help me coaching younger defensive players.

its predictable i guess, when i play defenders i know when they want to attack most of the time, plus racket technology i simply redirect the ball and win the point, when defenders attack they leave them selves wide open alot
butterfly Timo Boll spirit

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2015 at 8:10am
I think it is the recognition of the attacking players that they have more options than drop shot or counter loop. Even a block  can be very effective against a defensive player. I am sure much of it is due to getting older and slower. To be a good modern defender you really need more practice time to work on both offensive and defense.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2015 at 12:29pm
The ball is larger so pure spin is less effective.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2015 at 4:41am
Originally posted by a23096713 a23096713 wrote:

As a defensive player, I notice ever since I started more than 10 years ............................

One more to add, is that coaching and information to aid coaching is now much more widely available through internet etc. Think about it, If I am to face a defensive player, I can post a video on MYTT and get all the advice I need.
Defensive attackers used to get away with a lot of free points because of players' unfamiliarity with the style.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2015 at 5:06am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The ball is larger so pure spin is less effective.

+10.

Since the poly ball, I have seen lots defensive players trying to attack more and more simply because their spins don't make the difference anymore and also they are fed up receiving hit bullets from the attackers who have no more difficulties, even on low balls.

At a relatively good level (not a world class level of course), the regularity for a defensive player should remain on defensive strokes and he doesn't need to be able to be as good as an attacker in pure offensive rallies simply because he should attack maximum 3 or 4 times in a game.
But these attacks have to be carefully prepared and done in the key moments of  game.
The knowledge of his pimples or anti rubbers is much more crucial than the knowledge of the inverted one of course. In training session, the defender should learn and practice ball placement and way of using his material in order to get these vital 3 or 4 attacking points in the game which lead to a 11-9 instead of a 9-11....

If he attacks too much and on non enough prepared balls, the opponent will not be surprised and will easily block him and put him out of position. Than the frustration will come and the strength of the defensive player (his regularity) will become his weakness because he is probably less regular than the usual attacker at this game.
......Of course, if you are JSH, or Gionis, players with a forehand as good as the one of a world level attacker...things are a little bit different.

Edited by kakapo - 05/25/2015 at 5:18am
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic