Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

desmond douglas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
charlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 8:58am
Some more snippets of Desmond Douglas matches from 1978 European Championships to 1986 Pondus Cup

Opponents: Tibor Klampar(HUN),Anton Stefko(CZE), Wilfreid Lieck (GER), Jacques Secretin (FRA), Georg B�hm (GER), Andrej Grubba (POL) and Mikael Appelgren (SWE)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IKSO4T98

enjoy
Sponsored Links

garykidall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garykidall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 12:15pm

Charlies I do not know how to thank you, it is a true treasure for me that these matches of Secr�tin

thanks a lot & post as much as you want ....

http://pttdolefoucherans.free.fr ***** http://mandigo39.chez-alice.fr
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by garykidall garykidall wrote:

Charlies I do not know how to thank you, it is a true treasure for me that these matches of Secr�tin

my sentiments exactly...

thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

Sabito View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 1:21pm
desmond douglas plays horrible, ugly TT, how can you like it!!!, puahhhhhg!!!
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 4:33pm
I saw douglas live many times. even played doubles against him when he was a junior in an early round.
He was one of the most exciting players in europe to watch and perhaps the quickest until waldner.
He is also a very decent humble guy.
If mr sabito cant appreciate the beauty of the early ball play then its his loss. Maybe dd's strokes were not classic but his touch and placement were exquisite.
Earlier somebody said he tended to fall away in major championships. This happens to players who have toplay too many matches in the team event because the squad is too weak thus they were knackered in the second week when the individuals were on.
When Bengtson won the worlds he was easily the best player in the next worlds as well and won all his matches in the team event but then went out in the team event.
Guo yue hua in Birmingham 77 too played his heart out in the team and then succumbed to kohno due to a mixture of kohnos brilliant tactics, inexperience, and some cruel interpretations of the service rule.
But I digress DD is the best player out of the uk by far
and deserves our respect
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garykidall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 4:47pm

Originally posted by Sabito Sabito wrote:

desmond douglas plays horrible, ugly TT, how can you like it!!!, puahhhhhg!!!

he plays in an original way, it is what makes his value ...

Sabito View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 5:59pm

well, watching it again, I gotta say hes got talent, but his serves are kinda illegal?, i mean he throws the ball and hes touching it right away, wasnt he supposed to let it fall a bit?.

zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

I saw douglas live many times. even played doubles against him when he was a junior in an early round.
He was one of the most exciting players in europe to watch and perhaps the quickest until waldner.
He is also a very decent humble guy.
If mr sabito cant appreciate the beauty of the early ball play then its his loss. Maybe dd's strokes were not classic but his touch and placement were exquisite.
Earlier somebody said he tended to fall away in major championships. This happens to players who have toplay too many matches in the team event because the squad is too weak thus they were knackered in the second week when the individuals were on.
When Bengtson won the worlds he was easily the best player in the next worlds as well and won all his matches in the team event but then went out in the team event.
Guo yue hua in Birmingham 77 too played his heart out in the team and then succumbed to kohno due to a mixture of kohnos brilliant tactics, inexperience, and some cruel interpretations of the service rule.
But I digress DD is the best player out of the uk by far
and deserves our respect

Agree.(And it was me who said he fell away in majors).
As for Guo in '77 (I saw the Final),I think there may also have been an element of that nasty Chinese so-called 'friendship' trait,ie dumping.There certainly was in the Women's singles.But,yes,he was rattled by the umpire suddenly questioning his high-toss serves (they were brand-new then).Also I think Kohno seized his hour.
I think Bengtsson was nigh on the best player in '77 too.

And Charlies,thanks a million for those videos,fantastic.Interesting to see Guo after he'd retired and come back.And great to see Douglas and other great blockers like Lieck and Bohm.And ANY footage of Klampar is to be treasured.(Waldner always rated Klampar above everyone in Europe).
Do you have any more pre-1990 videos? I'd love to see them!!
charlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 7:11pm

Originally posted by zzzuppp zzzuppp wrote:

Yes I have some more interesting old videos.

For example a show match Guo Yuehua vs Chen Xinhua (maybe 1985), really good.

An old chinese trainingsvideo (maybe 1970) with a Penhold Defender

Young Jan-Ove Waldner (about 1982) some sequences of 5 to 10 minutes

But I've the problem to produce good packed videos like the rmvb files. The mpg files are too big and the wmv are not good enough.

Any idea

zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 7:27pm
Those sound really tantalising.Chen Xinhua!! My favourite player! There's a clip of one of his show games with another Chinese player (not Guo) on the net,but I saw the whole match a few years back online.Totally brilliant.Seems to have disappeared now...
Penhold defender??
I can't help with the tech stuff,alas.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garykidall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2006 at 4:26am
Originally posted by charlies charlies wrote:

But I've the problem to produce good packed videos like the rmvb files. The mpg files are too big and the wmv are not good enough.

Any idea

yes you can produce MPEG file and cute them with hjsplit to put them on megaupload

hjsplit at http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

olao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2006 at 4:34am
e
charlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2006 at 5:14am

Any idea

yes you can produce MPEG file and cute them with hjsplit to put them on megaupload

hjsplit at http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

I think this solution is not good enough. For example the men's team final of 1989 Sweden vs China are about 8.5 GB. I need 68 posts on Megaupload.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garykidall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2006 at 9:59am
you must select only certain sets in these matches  ...
tatan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2006 at 1:17pm
thanks for those files
but i am unable to upload those videos from megaupload(too few free(300) download slots) since my membership laps(12/2004).so if anybody upload the files in rapidshare i will be really greatfull

thanks again
the most impotant thing of dd' for me is his concept to the game.it seems that he had a very good understanding of spin with 38 mm ball.some of his blocks were impossible untill waldy.the jump on blocking is funny to see
1)ZJ fl(89 gm) fh T05 red max bh T05 fx black max
2)TBS fl(89 gm) fh T05 black max bh GKI hybrid gx red max
paracite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paracite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2006 at 11:53pm

Yes I have some more interesting old videos.

For example a show match Guo Yuehua vs Chen Xinhua (maybe 1985), really good.

An old chinese trainingsvideo (maybe 1970) with a Penhold Defender

Young Jan-Ove Waldner (about 1982) some sequences of 5 to 10 minutes

Any idea

I'm interested in Chen Xinhua videos and Penhold Defender (curious on that). Thanks :D I've been looking everywhere for Chen Xinhua videos!

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 3:27pm
responding to zzzuppp:
I was at the 77 worlds -the whole fortnight too! a great experience a couple of things I recall:
Guo being called for his high toss serve against Jonyer in an earlier match and the crowd booing because Jonyer was throwing the back on his serve and getting away with it. I was sitting behind the court and jonyer missed a serve completely and the ball came right to the barrier in front of me.
Japan v yugoslavia a great match lasting some 4 or five hours. That convinced me to have a bet on Kohno for the singles and I got on at 12-1 and won a couple of hundred pounds. Kohno was so calm througout the fortnight. He lost in the final in 67 to hasegawa and you could see he was focussed all the time.
I also got some super 8film of Takashima v bengtson where won rally was fortysix strokes. And Takashima used normal reverse both sides!
About the dumping: I think at this championship it was restricted to maybe helping the North Korean Girl Pak to win. At the time north korea was very much a puppet of China. However in view of recent military history its very unlikely that China would gift a world championship to Japan. And of course amongst themselves china seemed to be occasionally arranging results. But I suspect that often that was to do with getting the best and freshest candidate through to the final. Outside world chships I remember finding ping diplomacy very irritating when china was in town and to be disappointed to see an exhibition rather than a match
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
salatielrufino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salatielrufino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2006 at 4:12pm
Video of the Desmond Douglas in 1998, England

Video Desmond Douglas

Salatiel Rufino dos Santos Neto
www.salatieltc.cjb.net
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2006 at 11:38pm

Originally posted by salatielrufino salatielrufino wrote:

Video of the Desmond Douglas in 1998, England

Video Desmond Douglas

Salatiel Rufino dos Santos Neto

doesn't work (nao funciona)...

Budric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 12:40am
The video worked for me but there's maybe 30 seconds of him doing a drill...the other minute is people warming up (running).
hubie60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hubie60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 12:48am

As a Jamaican, it is fascinating to watch these videos of Douglas in his prime. He played in his native Jamaica three or four times, but I missed those tournaments. So I really enjoyed the look back at this great player.

Though he didn't have the long flowing strokes of the Swedes, his game is very modern with off the bounce counters especially on the forehand side.

takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2006 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

my sentiments exactly...

thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

thanks again for douglas vids!!

one request though...  any more douglas vs. secretin matches??

those highlights from your post above were precious, indeed!!  if that wasn't a show match, that should have been!! 

it just seems to me that those 2 matched up pretty darn well and i would love to see some more of them if you or anyone else had it...

i knew douglas was good, but had no idea he was THAT good!!!!

charlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2006 at 6:59am
Hi Desmond Douglas Fans,

During the last days I produced a video depending on these clips an some more. I hope that I can post it tomorrow and in a better quality.
All the matches are no show matches. I try to deliver the events.

The match against Secretin is from the European Championships 1978 in Duisburg.
The match against Klampar is from an invitation tournament (8 Players, it was the final).
Against Stefko and Lieck is from the German Bundesliga D�sseldorf versus Altena.
He played Grubba in Denmark in 1986 at the Pondus Cup.
One is the TOP 12 in Switzerland (Basel,1987)

Don't loose the patience. Waiting for J.O. Waldner and I. Jonyer
surler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2006 at 1:38pm
Thank you, Charlies. Right here waiting.
surler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2006 at 1:52pm
Charlies, may I ask where are those mageupload links for the 1989 team finals? are they still alive? Thank you very much for your time.
charlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2006 at 3:34pm
Part 2 of Desmond Douglas

part 1 is comming in about 2 hours

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FCQI40WX

Content:
p1:
Lieck (GER) European league
Secretin (FRA) European Championship 78
Klampar (HUN) German Grand Prix final
Kriszton (HUN) ETTU Cup Budapest-Duesseldorf
Appelgren (SWE) Europe Top 12
Grubba (POL) Pondus Cup
Lieck (GER) German Bundesliga
Stefko (CZE) German Bundesliga
p2:
Waldner (SWE) German Bundesliga
Appelgren (SWE) European team Cup
Jonyer (HUN) European league

enjoy
surler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2006 at 3:45pm
Beautiful! Thanks, Charlies.
jeannn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeannn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2006 at 4:21pm

thanks!!!!  

charlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2006 at 4:50pm
surler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2006 at 5:58pm
Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic