FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Donic Bluefire M2 smell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Bluefire M2 smell
    Posted: 09/26/2012 at 7:48pm
I bought a sheet of this on a trip last week to Europe, and I am waiting for the glue to dry as I am writing this.  First thing I noticed is the strong smell that other people have commented on in their various Bluefire threads. 

I now realize that it smells almost  EXACTLY  like Dandoy's Bio Booster, which I bought a couple of years ago and only used once.  I still have a nearly full bottle of that booster and was able to compare it directly.

So their is no doubt in my mind how Donic is getting some of their effect in this rubber (although some people in the other threads have said they like it better after it has been on their blade for awhile).  I will try it out tomorrow and see for myself.
Sponsored Links

tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2012 at 10:19pm
Wow, Donic works with Dandoy's booster people to develop this M2 rubber?
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2012 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I bought a sheet of this on a trip last week to Europe, and I am waiting for the glue to dry as I am writing this.  First thing I noticed is the strong smell that other people have commented on in their various Bluefire threads.  I now realize that it smells almost  EXACTLY  like Dandoy's Bio Booster, which I bought a couple of years ago and only used once.  I still have a nearly full bottle of that booster and was able to compare it directly.So their is no doubt in my mind how Donic is getting some of their effect in this rubber (although some people in the other threads have said they like it better after it has been on their blade for awhile).  I will try it out tomorrow and see for myself.

FWIW, I second this observation.

Source: Have a sheet of M2 and a jar of Bio-Booster.

tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2012 at 10:47pm
hmmm something smells fishy~~
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2012 at 11:57pm
That's kind of amusing. Of the 4 or 5 different different boosting agents I've tried, Dandoy's Bio Booster was one of my least favorite, as it adds speed, but little else...

Maybe when the rubber "calms down" (bio booster is seems to last two weeks or so) the spin catches up with the speed?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 1:29am
its kinda over simplification. 

- It could be that there is some aromatic additive in rubber manufacturing process which is also used in boosters.

- It could be donic and dandoy has same white label source for buying the booster as dandoy. like rubbers.

- it could be that dandoy gets the booster from donic.

isn't it?

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 1:40am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

- It could be that there is some aromatic additive in rubber manufacturing process which is also used in boosters.

- It could be donic and dandoy has same white label source for buying the booster as dandoy. like rubbers.

isn't it?

You are absolutely right; it is an oversimplification and there could be other reasons. However...

I've tried many boosters. Bio-Booster, IMO, has a distinct smell. So does Bluefire. The smells are quite similar (in fact, seemingly identical from a subjective standpoint). I've never smelled another booster that smells like Bio-Booster, and I've never smelled another rubber that smells like Bluefire.

Based on the above, I don't think it's simply that boosters and rubbers (in general) share a constituent with similar aromatic qualities.

There is no guarantee that Bluefire is boosted by Bio-Booster, or that it's boosted by anything at all. I think it is likely, but there are not many ways of demonstrating this definitively. (Can someone please call Donic and request that they publicly give away their trade secrets here on MYTT so we can figure this out? Wink) Nonetheless, given the fact that the nature of the rubber's play seems to change after a couple weeks (which is the time window of Bio-Booster effects), that the two smell seemingly identical, and that I have it on reliable authority that many (most?) European high-level players are using Bio-Booster... I'm going to put my money on the notion that Bluefire is boosted with something quite similar to Bio-Booster, if not Bio-Booster itself.

But I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. Party

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 09/27/2012 at 1:44am
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 2:01am
I don't know about Dandoy booster, however the smell on Bluefire is exactly like Tibhar Clean Tuning Extra. So it's obvious that this is a tuner smell. There were one or two glue producers when glue was legal and I guess same applies to boosters/tuners. 
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 5:21am

isn't it?

Dandy Bioboost is apparently manufactured by TRF in Belgium. They also supply to other brands (Tibhar CTE?)

So, it's quite probable that Donic gets the product from them.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 10:02am

isn't it?

All I said is that they smell the same, but that said, the human nose is a pretty sensitive analytical device.  I think it is a reasonable conclusion that some of the molecules in the booster are used by Donic (well, actually ESN) for the same purpose in their sponge, and so I think your alternative 1 is unlikely (but not impossible).  Either of your alternatives 2 and 3 would be consistent with the observation.  It is interesting that the Tibhar booster has the same smell, but then again not surprising because it is obvious that Dandoy would not be manufacturing anything themselves (any more than Paddle Palace).  So my guess is that there is a company in Europe that makes and sells this booster, and ESN buys it from then and adds it to the Bluefire sponge, and probably before long, in other rubbers as well.

Edited by Baal - 09/27/2012 at 10:07am
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 10:47am
Everyone is try to build these gimmicks into their rubbers nowaday!

"Tuner-effect", "Tensor", "High-Tune", High Tension", "Spring Sponge"

WinkLOLSmile
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 11:46am

isn't it?

All I said is that they smell the same, but that said, the human nose is a pretty sensitive analytical device.  I think it is a reasonable conclusion that some of the molecules in the booster are used by Donic (well, actually ESN) for the same purpose in their sponge, and so I think your alternative 1 is unlikely (but not impossible).  Either of your alternatives 2 and 3 would be consistent with the observation.  It is interesting that the Tibhar booster has the same smell, but then again not surprising because it is obvious that Dandoy would not be manufacturing anything themselves (any more than Paddle Palace).  So my guess is that there is a company in Europe that makes and sells this booster, and ESN buys it from then and adds it to the Bluefire sponge, and probably before long, in other rubbers as well.
Well said. There are brew masters that can sniff out types and ages of beer, and chefs that can dissect ingredients using taste. These observations should not be taken too lightly, nor too seriously. 
spin_whisperer View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spin_whisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 3:22pm
I think rasant has the same smell as bluefire..I could be wrong though.
Equipment
H3 Provincial\Timo Boll Spirit ST/Sigma Europe
Vihito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vihito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 3:35pm
Well, Donic's motto is "Tuned to perfection" Wink
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 3:46pm
Guys, do not forget  that the BF series are ESN as well as Rasant. Of course all of the new rubbers are tuned most probably with something made by TRF / Falco - this is just my opinion. Even Tenergy is tuned but is not ESN.

By the way a friend of mine has both M2 and Rasant and says that they are 99% alike, maybe M2 is slightly springier.

And Vihito is right about the Donci Slogan Wink

We should not overmistify the different names when it comes to ESN tensors. Use the brand you can get hold of cheaper it will not make much of a difference in your game.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

We should not overmistify the different names when it comes to ESN tensors. Use the brand you can get hold of cheaper it will not make much of a difference in your game.

+1

[ Smile but make sure its from the same generation... and same sponge hardness]
vid1
Vid 2
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 5:22pm
Also, when it gets old, just reboost with Dandoy or Tibhar.  Re-tune it back to perfection!  

Edited by Baal - 09/27/2012 at 5:24pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 7:11pm

Also, when it gets old, just reboost with Dandoy or Tibhar.  Re-tune it back to perfection!  

This is my plan. Big smile I don't compete in tournaments, but...

Hypothetically, can tuning really be called "cheating" if you're simply treating a rubber the same way it was treated in the factory? Tuning a rubber that was not tuned at the factory is one thing, but restoring the chemical tuner that has dissipated from a factory-tuned rubber seems like another thing altogether.

I believe the rule says something about changing the nature of sponge, or top sheet, or whatever. If (again, hypothetically) you were applying the same chemical in the same amounts to the rubber, you cannot be accused of changing the properties of the rubber if that's how it came to you from the factory, right? I dunno... seems like it wouldn't be "changing" the properties of the rubber but rather "restoring" the properties of the rubber. The rule says nothing about restoration, if I remember correctly...

ttplayer92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 7:16pm
but thats assuming you know exactly how the factory used the tuner. you know as well as me that they will not release that information
Butterfly Viscaria
FH Globe 999 National
BH Xiom Vega Pro
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by ttplayer92 ttplayer92 wrote:

but thats assuming you know exactly how the factory used the tuner. you know as well as me that they will not release that information

Yes, I know/agree. I was more interested in the principle rather than the practical details. ;)

I'm just picking on the vague wording of the rule.

Hypothetically, then, let's pretend my brother-in-law worked on the ESN assembly line and knew precisely the amounts of tuner involved. Further, let's pretend I had a rigorous and reliable way to measure the dissipation of the tuner and subsequently the remaining amount in my sponge. This way, when I retuned with the exact same tuner on a factory tuned sponge I could add the precise amount that kept the rubber within factory specifications. In this unrealistic and impossible case, would my reapplication of a tuner to restore a factory tuned rubber to nearly the identical state in which I purchased it be considered "cheating"?

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 7:35pm
Anton... you didn't read it right. 

the rule is: 

Don't stretch, bleach, curl, squeeze, paint, pluck, boil, clean,  marinate, grill, ........blah blah blah blah..................blah blah blah.... the sponge or the topsheet by any chemical....... 

Don't....... blah blah blah

Don't blah blah

Don't blah

Don't...

[However if you do all above but pass Enez... we will let you play !!! ] LOL

vid1
Vid 2
ttplayer92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 7:38pm
Exactly! 
Butterfly Viscaria
FH Globe 999 National
BH Xiom Vega Pro
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 7:42pm
It's just such a bizarrely written rule. The vagueness of the wording combined with the inability to enforce it consistently just makes the whole thing seem farcical.

I'm glad I don't really have to worry about it, but it's still an irritating display of seeming incompetence.

spin_whisperer View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spin_whisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 7:44pm

lol nice!
Equipment
H3 Provincial\Timo Boll Spirit ST/Sigma Europe
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Hypothetically, can tuning really be called "cheating" if you're simply treating a rubber the same way it was treated in the factory? Tuning a rubber that was not tuned at the factory is one thing, but restoring the chemical tuner that has dissipated from a factory-tuned rubber seems like another thing altogether.

I believe the rule says something about changing the nature of sponge, or top sheet, or whatever. If (again, hypothetically) you were applying the same chemical in the same amounts to the rubber, you cannot be accused of changing the properties of the rubber if that's how it came to you from the factory, right? I dunno... seems like it wouldn't be "changing" the properties of the rubber but rather "restoring" the properties of the rubber. The rule says nothing about restoration, if I remember correctly...

One could almost argue that the way the rule is worded, you would be cheating not to tune it back.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 9:37pm

One could almost argue that the way the rule is worded, you would be cheating not to tune it back.

Ha! I like the way you think, sir. 

seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2012 at 5:02am

Agreed, I would say something even stronger. I think it is illegal NOT to retune the rubber. Because if you do not, you are playing with a rubber that is different from how it came from the factory.

If you retune, at least you have a chance to be legal. If you don't, you are surely illegal.

Edit: I see someone else came up with that argument :)

Edited by seguso - 09/28/2012 at 5:16am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
regomellor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regomellor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2012 at 6:39am
I have a M3 for three weeks now and i prefer its behavior now. It's lost springness but the spin is even higher and its speed and punch is still there, and it´s more linear, too. Veeeeeeeeery nice rubber though
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2012 at 11:26am
On another recent thread somebody mentioned that after he had taken M2 off his blade, it left behind a bunch of oil on the wood  LOL and he wanted to know how to get it off.

All the same, ITTF says if you tune your rubber Shocked you are breaking the rules!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic