FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Donic Z1 Turbo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Z1 Turbo
    Posted: 06/25/2018 at 4:59pm
I have been played 10 hours with it on a Stiga Celero, Bfly Zhike ALC and a Viscaria. To be honest, I did not like it at all during the first 5-6 hours and I thought Donic have marketed another mediocre rubber.

My first impression was that it is hard and difficult to dig the ball into the rubber properly. Its behaviour was characterised by excessive rigidity on a Zhike ALC which led me to try putting it on an allwood blade, namely Stiga Celero. Unfortunately, this rigidity did not change. Its hardness is at least that of the JP01 but it comes out in a different way. Perhaps the JP has a more tacky spin friendlier topsheet with a hard sponge while the Z1 Turbo's topsheet does not generate so much spin on its own and the whole thing feels even more dry / hard.

It is difficult to keep balls low in the short game, not so much because it is catapulty but because it does not bite the ball on slow impacts. On loops, the first two were quite spinny and speedy but any subsequent loop attempt was rewarded with a ball dumped in the net or shot behind the table. I really had to hold myself back to keep anything after the second loop on the table which resulted in slowed down offensive shots that were punished by opponents. The same thing when I looped against a long pip defender: basically harmless loops in terms of spin and penetration.

So I said here we go again :D and I drenched the sponge with Evolution Booster. I just came back from training and I am glad to report that there seems to be a huge improvement.

I do not want to overpraise this rubber so I will give it a thorough testing on Wednesday and Thursday and I will report back but from what I experienced today, this years hardest Donic rubber does really make a difference.

The key points are:

- it is for players with good footwork and technique (intermediate up)
- because of its hardness I do not see a point in using it on a carbon / ALC blade
- if you do not boost, do not even try it

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 06/25/2018 at 5:19pm
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2018 at 5:18pm
I can believe this. I've never boosted mine and agree with all of your points about the rubber pre-boosted. That being said, a modern rubber shouldn't require additional boosting right out of the package to be realistically playable. There are far too many contemporary alternatives that don't require boosting and play better than Bluestorm Z1 Turbo.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
ZhouZhekai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZhouZhekai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2018 at 6:07pm
What is Evolution Booster?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2018 at 6:28pm
It is Revolution, sorry I left out the letter "r". Any kind of booster will, it is just I had Revo at hand.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I can believe this. I've never boosted mine and agree with all of your points about the rubber pre-boosted. That being said, a modern rubber shouldn't require additional boosting right out of the package to be realistically playable. There are far too many contemporary alternatives that don't require boosting and play better than Bluestorm Z1 Turbo.

It is common practice here that people boost their rubber right after they take it out of the package. This happens a lot to MXP which is a choice for high level players but we do it with Bluefires and practically anything else, including Tenergy.

As for better options, I think XIOM markets better quality ESN rubbers, Donic is just the sort of run of the mill stuff.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2018 at 3:42pm
I have tried the boosted Z1 Turbo on my Stiga Celero with Tibhar SYNTT NG 40+ balls. All of the  points I made above are still valid for its unboosted state but after this treatment the rubber has become extremely enjoyable.

When boosted, it surpasses any Bluefire / Bluestorm rubber in terms of arc on loops and the way it lifts the ball. While the feel and behaviour is totally different to Tenergy, this ESN rubber comes very close in performance.  The price is ridiculously high, though.

Also, this is a rubber that I firmly believe has exceeded MXP in terms of offensive characteristics.

Recommended to offensive players with good footwork and technique. I find it very enjoyable and it will most likely be my FH rubber for next season and maybe beyond.
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2019 at 10:35pm
Interesting about Z1 Turbo needing boosting. I've been using Max for FH and BH on a Waldner Senso Carbon (JO Shape) and I find it to be an extremely accurate, stable and brutal rubber straight out of the package. In fact it has replaced my MX-S.

I am constantly surprised how the ball goes precisely where I want with this setup. Also, I don't know that I've used a rubber with such a flat trajectory and violent dip at the end of the table, and this is coming from using H2 Neo for some time.

To me, Rhyzer 50 is very similar to Z1T (I own both) but it is faster with a softer feel, and I'm almost certain it is due to it being more factory tuned than Z1T. Maybe Rhyzer 50 would be a good alternative for those who think Z1T needs boosting. Beer

(Actually, I am selling my Rhyzer 50s in the For Sale forum.)

Edited by DLC1325 - 01/31/2019 at 10:39pm
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2019 at 11:37am
I honestly think oftentimes the rubber reviews are almost useless because of difference in our techniques especially the way we execute our strokes. So for some people a rubber might work really well because they tend to "hit" the ball more than "brush" it.
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2019 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

I honestly think oftentimes the rubber reviews are almost useless because of difference in our techniques especially the way we execute our strokes. So for some people a rubber might work really well because they tend to "hit" the ball more than "brush" it.

I was thinking the same thing while writing my review. 
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 9:49pm
I had a great session tonight with Z1 Turbo FH and RPB on my American Hinoki WRC 9mm Jpen.  I was surprised at my ability to do more brushy strokes that I used to do with MX-S.  Z1T might be as spinny as MX-S, and I am certain my serves are more spinny with Z1T.

Also, at further inspection, Rhyzer 50's softer feel is probably more likely due to its topsheet being thinner than Z1T's, and its pips are slightly thinner than Z1T's.  

I know this is personal assessment, but I have been through way too many rubbers to count and I am very impressed and surprised with Z1T.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic