Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Ever Seen This Grip?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ever Seen This Grip?
    Posted: 10/01/2011 at 4:01pm
Couldn't find any pictures but it's the EXACT grip as shake hand except you have your middle finger on the backhand side as well as your index. So you got your thumb on the forehand rubber and your index and middle finger on the backhand. Advantages, disadvantages? Am I the only one who has seen this grip? Thanks ! :D
Sponsored Links

shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 4:04pm
i have seen that but i do not know the advantages or disadvantages. comfort maybe?
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 4:07pm
I've seen a lot of basement players and first timers use this grip.  There are no real advantages of it over a conventional shakehand grip.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 4:12pm
I know a disadvantage:  if you have more fingers on your backhand, you run a greater risk of hitting your finger instead of the rubber. You might have a weaker backhand.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 5:51pm
Edit:

It was actually the grip used by Lazlo Bellak, a Hungarian table tennis player from the 30's.

Edited by Carbon TT - 10/01/2011 at 6:00pm
Primorac Carbon
MX-P | EL-P
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 6:38pm
Does the two fingers on the back limit wrist movement?
salamander21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salamander21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 7:44pm
It seems to me that the only reason to put any finger on the backhand side is to be able to control the angle of the racket more precisely, which requires only one finger.  Adding more fingers just weakens your grip on the handle, IMO.
formidableone14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formidableone14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2011 at 8:24pm
I know of a guy who uses this grip, funny thing is, while he says he has a good grip, he is ALWAYS complaining about the racket moving in his hand.   He has resorted to putting some wierd channeled plastic wrapping on the handle.  LOL
BTY Timo Boll ALC

Tenergy 05 FH/Tenergy 80 BH
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 1:23pm
One of my opponent has this grip.  He's good at blocking and not so good at looping and smashing but I think it's just his style (or his grip defines his style? I do not know).   He has some problem blocking with backhand since his fingers make a v-shape on his backhand and sometimes, the ball hits one of his fingers.

I also see Ma Long's coach uses this grip.  Don't know his name though but I think you can see it in one of the coaching video that Wei Wang provided.  I'll have a link if I find it.

FireHorse

Edited by FireHorse - 10/11/2011 at 1:24pm
Current Setup:
Butterfly Primorac Carbon
FH: Andro Rassant Grip
BH: Andro Rassant PowerGrip
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 1:28pm
I was wrong about Wei Wang's video coaching.  It's from another link and here it is:

Current Setup:
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

I was wrong about Wei Wang's video coaching.  It's from another link and here it is:

This grip is OK for feeding multiball (I've seen some feeders laying three fingers on the back) - just to add stability to the paddle, but it doesn't mean he uses such a grip in normal play.
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2011 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by stefashka stefashka wrote:

Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

This grip is OK for feeding multiball (I've seen some feeders laying three fingers on the back) - just to add stability to the paddle, but it doesn't mean he uses such a grip in normal play.
You're probaby right about it.  I also see he uses penhold grip when multi-ball training Xu Xin so he could be primary a penholder. 

I just want to point out that some people uses that grip :)

FireHorse
Current Setup:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic