FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Expert in a Year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 9:47am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

I think with the right environment, natural ability, fitness, desire and coach you can break 2000 within a year with just 365 hours of training by the coach.  However, you will need to have a lot of other help - LOTS of hours to practice and play matches, mentors that aren't considered your coach, etc.  Top 1% is an entirely different story though - you need be able to play against the top 1% to really understand the game play at that level.  And since only 1% of the players are at that level, you won't get many opportunities.

Yeah - your instincts are formed in part by the opposition you play.  

You serve a ball, you think you are safe and your opponent creams it for a winner.  

You loop the ball wide, you think you've won the point, the return comes back even wider and you are out of position.

The problem is that those two things I just described happen every time you improve as the quality of serve required to prevent the attack or the quality of loop required to win the point get higher.  And it is hard to be inspired to reach that level of quality without the right kind of opposition.  In fact, America makes it easier to get there than most countries because you can decide to play only Opens until you get to the required level, though the lack of wins may be demoralizing...

Edited by NextLevel - 02/15/2014 at 9:47am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

N.Cali PLayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N.Cali PLayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 9:47am
I think the coach more likely to get hit by lightning than hitting this goal, and thats really not likely either.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 9:47am
if the subject won't be exposed to a variety of good players on a regular basis, praticising with the coach ain't going to do it, unless all his tournament opponents play a similar style / speed as the coach
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 9:54am
this thread is picking up steam, 3 posts the same minute
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 10:27am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

In fact, America makes it easier to get there than most countries because you can decide to play only Opens until you get to the required level, though the lack of wins may be demoralizing...
Interesting idea, however, it would probably work best if you could enter a single event as unrated, only play matches against a bunch of 2500+ players, lose every single match, and get a rating of 2250+.  Your rating would be artificially high, you'd be in the top 300, but at least you could say you were high ranked at one time!  LOL
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 11:56am
It doesn't matter how much he plays, he's not going to do it in a year. The Clip I posted earlier contains two players who are very experienced, both have been  in and out of the top 100 for years, and the 2/300 range of players in England is full of guys like this, they have too much experience to lose to players who have only been serious for 1 year, and for Sam to reach this level, he would need multiple victories against this level of play. Its an interesting experiment, but I suspect Ben knows he will fail, its more a matter of how far he will get, and learning from the experience, which we all can if we keep tabs on it.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Ping Coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ping Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 2:41pm
Hi everyone!

It's great to see so much discussion going on. I thought it might be helpful if I clarified a few things and then was here to answer any other questions.

Regarding the ranking/rating level
I actually spoke with Larry Hodges, Michael Levene and Ben Johnson earlier this week to try and have a go at estimating the USATT rating of a top 250 player in England. 

Together we estimated that the top 250 level was the equivalent of roughly 2100 in the US. I am around 150ish which we thought would be about 2200. Then top 100 and Top 50 were getting closer to 2300 and 2400, or something like that anyway.

For those of you that said it's completely impossible to reach a 2400-2500 level in a year... I agree with you 100%. In my opinion that is a step too far. I chose top 250 because although it was a very challenging target there was still a chance that it could be achieved. I could have chosen top 400 instead (and that was the initial goal) but I decided that if we were going to do this we might as well really go for it and aim high!

When it comes to actually accumulating the ranking points Sam is going to need to receive a "fair" initial ranking after his first period of competing otherwise there will just not be enough tournaments to clock up the points. I think if he plays enough events over the summer period (July-August 2014) he should get enough wins and losses against currently ranked players that he can start somewhere on the list with points in the bag and not have to go from 0 points.

Regarding the top 1% thing
I contacted the ETTA and asked how many registered players there were this season and they answered 25,000. 

The majority of these players will be local league players (somewhere between a basement player and a tournament player). They are serious enough to play pretty much every week for a team, have joined the ETTA and have many years of matches experience but they don't general travel around to tournaments on the weekends etc.

There are currently 628 players on the senior men's list because you only get a ranking if you have played one of these ranking tournaments in the past 5 months. 

Top 250 would make Sam "roughly" in the top 1% of active competing players in England. It's not exact but you get the idea.

Regarding practice hours
Thank you to "tom" for clarifying the one hour a day rule.

Personally, I'd love Sam to get in as much practice as possible. He's not limited to one hour a day by any means. Realistically he has to work and so do I so he isn't going to be able to play full-time or anything. 

I hope to have had 365 hour-long one-to-one coaching sessions with Sam during 2014 but on top of that we will be... 
1. Doing a few intensive training camps (we are doing one for 3 days starting on Monday)
2. Going down to some local clubs to give him exposure to a variety of players
3. Doing physical training outside of the hour table time
4. Sam will do some independent service practice every day (or at least he should be)
5. Entering him into some local leagues for the 2014/15 season for weekly match experience.

I think if we shipped Sam off to the WSA for 12 months and had him train full-time he would almost certainly come back a top 250 player (or very close). We are fitting this around work and a social life so that hopefully players in "normal" circumstances can see what can be achieved with the limited time we all have available.

Regarding what we are practicing
"grscatman" mentioned working solely on serve, return and 3rd ball attacks. At the moment we are working on the basics because personally I feel this will pay off later (despite the fact it isn't realy transitioning into his matches yet). 

However, I do agree that sooner or later we will need to adopt a similar selective style of practice if he is to have a chance at winning. I'm am a big fan of the Tim Ferriss method of deconstructing or "hacking" a skill and working out the essential/necessary elements. Once Sam has all of the strokes to a decent enough level and has mastered footwork and control of the ball we will begin training almost exclusively to try and win points. 

We don't wont to find ourselves in December with a technique that looks flawless but it useless in a match situation. Serve, return, attack, variation, deception, winning patterns will all become the focus once the basics are mastered to an acceptable level.

Regarding Sam's "talent"
Sam is very much your average young guy. I didn't choose him because he was super talented or had played a similar sport to a high level. I selected him because he was an old friend, had genuinely developed a real love of table tennis (he bought the robot long before I even mentioned this idea to him) and I thought it would be a fun journey that would teach him, me and everyone following something insightful and useful.

Since we started training I think I've actually realised that Sam is probably less "talented" that I originally thought. He's not uncoordinated but he's certainly not a natural. Sometimes he makes simple errors when starting off a rally or doing a sidestep that are baffling!

I think it will be very interesting to see if this holds him back (as many would assume it would) or if together we can find ways to get past it.

Regarding my coaching ability
I'm a young coach (I'm 24 and this is only my 3rd year coaching) and I haven't taken a player from novice to anywhere near expert before. I'm certainly not the "best" coach Sam could have for this and I'm learning too as we go along.

I'm of the opinion that it's in Sam's best interests to get input from as many coaches as possible. In the second week Mark Simpson came and gave him a session which proved really valuable. I'm hoping to get as many coaches from the UK involved as possible as they all probably have different strengths and ideas that Sam could benefit from.

This project is certainly not about me trying to show off how great I am or hog all of the praise for myself. Sam is doing most of the hard work and I think our chances of succeeding are increased with every extra coach we get on board who gain help direct us and detect areas for improvement.

So that's everything! Sorry I went on a bit and thank you to everyone that is supporting what we are doing and helping get the word out about it.

Take it easy.

Ben Larcombe
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 3:44pm
High goals are good to have even if they are impossible to some. What I dont like about this topic is that some posters described the whole effort with negativity. 

Guys the goal isnt the 2500 its the experience we get from it. If your goal is 20 (impossible) after an all out effort and due to external and unpredictable circumstances you will reach maximum 15 -16 maybe 17 trying out your best.

If your goal is 15 you will reach maximum 12-13, because you initially settled your mind state to an easy and achievable goal and you will never achieve greatness or excel at what you are learning/practicing if you think like this.

So for me maybe Sam wont get there in a year but if he continues to try like he is , (Im watching all of his videos) he will get there pretty soon and much faster than many players who just train without a serious goal and just EJ all the time, writing their "expert" opinion in the internet forums where no one can see you play :)

The most common thing I hear in training from my players is (always laughing at me when they say it)  "George, I cant do that ru crazy dude LOL?" 

Well the answer is always the same "Try it out first, and then we will talk about how impossible or difficult it is" . I "hate" to say that most of the times im right.

The whole idea of Ben is fantastic, through creative criticism and conversations I hope we can give him ideas to help him improve as a coach and Sam as a player

my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 4:00pm
@Ben - Thanks for the insight.

I think he can do it.

The Nay Sayers remind me of a lot of people in TT that don't get the mastering of an activity. Don't get misled by players that plant negative seeds saying it took me X amount of long years to get this good. That's their story and doesn't have to be yours. ...

When I first saw the thread I thought it is possible.

In the past Black Belts in martial arts used to take donkeys years. But dedicated athletes working with the correct Master can focus your hard work and take the direct route, without wasting most of your time with instructors deciding if you are dedicated or not, whilst you get disinterested with the drawn out (not) learning process.

My question to Ben is what style of player are you developing?

Attacker, defender, two wing looper, all rounder?

Dual inverted rubbers, long pimples backhand etc?

What blade and rubber combination is he playing with?

Do you expect him to stick with the same set-up or change as he progresses.?

Thanks! ...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 4:23pm
Hi Ben, I think the difference between 400 and 250 is defining. If you look at players around 250 that you know, do you really think its possible to gain the matchplay experience/table craft, needed to attain that level of play in one single year? From 35 years experience as a player and coach I can tell you its not. Put it this way, it will be a first. Give it two years and I would agree its possible, just. Whilst your player might be capable of winning against players of the 250 bracket on occasion, to attain that ranking he will need consistency in his results, and I just have never seen any player manage that in such a short space of time, or come close. 
The only in depth catalogue I have come across of this type of study is 'Breaking 2000' and his improvement curve was well outside your target. Good luck though, if you pull it off, you will have done the proverbial 'Brian Clough' of TT.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 4:25pm
no matter where he will be in a year he'll be much higher than most of us for sure LOL if he stays on course and sticks to the plan.
it is a nice adventure and I hope we can see monthly videos of his training and matches (short form maybe, jkc & son style?).

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 5:27pm

Best style chance, in my opinion, two winged looper counter looper, with blocking skills on both sides too.

His biggest challenge will be service return !
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 5:53pm
No, LP will be his doom.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 5:57pm
Impossible.. 100% impossible. Even if the guy he's training has the natural talent of Waldner it's just not enough hours. Three years the yes I think it can be done, even then he would need to be a freak. Breaking 2000 and being in the top one percent are a lot different. You can break 2000 within two years. Top one percent isn't going to happen

Edited by bluebucket - 02/15/2014 at 6:00pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 6:41pm
even reaching 2000 in a span of a year by just practicing 1 hr a day is close to impossible. as what other people have already stated, you cannot teach gameplay tactics  in that span of time. maybe reaching 2000 can be achieved by playing and training at least 4 hrs a day but just by an hr no! and there also goes the issue of service receives, sure you can train that but how bout in a non-training environment? i t takes a lot of experience to master receiving serves and training with is only half of the deal.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
collins.latag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 7:41pm
How does one define expert? expert at what?

I agree with one of the coaches I know that states, "In table tennis one would always need to return the ball on the other end of the table to win!"

With that said then as long as one could return the ball on the table consistently even without having to attack or chop like the professionals do, then that person can be rated more than how he plays like. Those players are usually called "Unorthodox".

Rating is all about consistency and not about looking good. While being an expert means one is very consistent.

PPisLife

Blade:TBS Rubber: Donic
clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 7:56pm
I have seen kids through the years, progress at a pretty quick rate but even they don't progress as fast as what this challenge is proposing.  He is also not a kid and his learning curve is going to be a lot slower.  I honestly don't see him reaching this goal or even getting close to it.
Nittaku Violin FL-L
FH Donic Bluefire m-1 max
BH Donic Bluefire m-2 max
Cocoa Beach TTC, Florida
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Ping Coach Ping Coach wrote:

I contacted the ETTA and asked how many registered players there were this season and they answered 25,000. 

The majority of these players will be local league players (somewhere between a basement player and a tournament player). They are serious enough to play pretty much every week for a team, have joined the ETTA and have many years of matches experience but they don't general travel around to tournaments on the weekends etc.

There are currently 628 players on the senior men's list because you only get a ranking if you have played one of these ranking tournaments in the past 5 months. 

Top 250 would make Sam "roughly" in the top 1% of active competing players in England. It's not exact but you get the idea.

Well, sorry to be picky, but you are using two different sets of figures to come up with your 1%. If 24,372 players are not on the senior men's ranking list, you can't include them in your percentage calculation, as you know, any player can get a ranking by entering an event included in the ratings scheme regardless of their standard of play. Likewise, players of a very high level can appear to be very low. Our number one junior is 13 on the current senior list, but our number one cadet, who appears at no9 on the junior list is 626 on the men's list because he has not played enough senior events. Our system is difficult to understand for many around the globe, but I honestly think you will bring English TT down if you make it appear that a player can go from basement to the top 1% in a single year.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 8:40am
Originally posted by collins.latag collins.latag wrote:

Rating is all about consistency and not about looking good. While being an expert means one is very consistent.

Expert IMO is about looking good, playing orthodox and knowing all about the game. Most of the coaches are experts without being in the top 1% players.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 10:40am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Well, sorry to be picky, but you are using two different sets of figures to come up with your 1%. If 24,372 players are not on the senior men's ranking list, you can't include them in your percentage calculation, as you know, any player can get a ranking by entering an event included in the ratings scheme regardless of their standard of play. Likewise, players of a very high level can appear to be very low. Our number one junior is 13 on the current senior list, but our number one cadet, who appears at no9 on the junior list is 626 on the men's list because he has not played enough senior events. Our system is difficult to understand for many around the globe, but I honestly think you will bring English TT down if you make it appear that a player can go from basement to the top 1% in a single year.

IMHO, the quirks of ETTA's ranking system are not Sam's fault, so I don't see how coaching a player to reach ETTA top 250 in the course of one year can "bring English TT down". His goal is to attempt to produce a player that will be ranked inside 250 of all "active competing players in England".  I play in 3 different local leagues in the south-east, and the top division of each has nationally ranked players, both seniors and juniors, including players inside top 250. Such players are universally at the top of the division they play in, and while they sometimes lose a game to a nationally unranked player, they still are within or very close of being in top 1% of the league's players. So, IMHO, Sam's guesstimate that being ranked in ETTA's top 250 is more or less equivalent to being top 1% of all league players is quite plausible.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

IMHO, the quirks of ETTA's ranking system are not Sam's fault, so I don't see how coaching a player to reach ETTA top 250 in the course of one year can "bring English TT down". His goal is to attempt to produce a player that will be ranked inside 250 of all "active competing players in England".  I play in 3 different local leagues in the south-east, and the top division of each has nationally ranked players, both seniors and juniors, including players inside top 250. Such players are universally at the top of the division they play in, and while they sometimes lose a game to a nationally unranked player, they still are within or very close of being in top 1% of the league's players. So, IMHO, Sam's guesstimate that being ranked in ETTA's top 250 is more or less equivalent to being top 1% of all league players is quite plausible.

How can you believe that ! that is just the kind of thinking that makes players obsessed with 'rankings' believe they are something they are not. It assumes that everyone currently ranked is superior in standard to anyone who is not, this means that the 628 seniors who are on the current ranking list are in the top 2.5% of all active English players. I can pick plenty of names out of that lot that are not even in the top division of their local league, let alone near the top of the averages.
The Rankings get more accurate higher up, Between 200 and 300 I have just counted 33 players I have played against in competition, and I can tell you its not possible to attain what is required to join their ranks in one year from basic basement level, in fact its a bit of an insult to them to believe its possible. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 1:19pm

How can you believe that ! that is just the kind of thinking that makes players obsessed with 'rankings' believe they are something they are not. It assumes that everyone currently ranked is superior in standard to anyone who is not, this means that the 628 seniors who are on the current ranking list are in the top 2.5% of all active English players. I can pick plenty of names out of that lot that are not even in the top division of their local league, let alone near the top of the averages.
The Rankings get more accurate higher up, Between 200 and 300 I have just counted 33 players I have played against in competition, and I can tell you its not possible to attain what is required to join their ranks in one year from basic basement level, in fact its a bit of an insult to them to believe its possible. 
IT isn't, but given the nature of this particular experiment with very little tied to the result other than an individual's frustration, there is little harm in trying.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 1:20pm
Ben,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Good luck with your project
BTW: Hmmmm that's "jrscatman" - not "grscatman"

Ok, so you are using the "Tim Ferris" accelerated learning technique. I have been 
reading some of his books and watching the youtube videos to figure it out.

From a marketing point of view - perhaps you can get Tim Ferris involved - as I understand it
he plays TT in California. 

I would be interested in your deconstruction of what is required achieve this for TT.

For those who don't know Tim Ferris - he claims to have become a top Tango dancer in 1 year. Learned Kanjii - 9 months, became a chef is a short time - his theory is learning can be accelerated by deconstructing the required steps to go to the top. I believe Ferris thinks you can achieve top 5% performance within 9months - 12 months in any task.

Very interesting project
Good luck
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 2:59pm

APW46, you're putting words in my mouth that I did not say. I did not claim that all 628 ranked seniors are in the top 2.5 percent. Nor did I (nor Ben for that matter) made the assumption that all ranked players are superior to all unranked ones. All I said was that played ranked inside top 250 tend to be among the best of all players in their local leagues, hence being inside top 250 is actually a good indicator of a players level. Perhaps you play in a league where players ranked 200-250 are not good enough to be at the top of their local league division, but all this means is that your league is an exception, not a rule.

Edited by vvk1 - 02/16/2014 at 2:59pm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 3:31pm

APW46, you're putting words in my mouth that I did not say. I did not claim that all 628 ranked seniors are in the top 2.5 percent. Nor did I (nor Ben for that matter) made the assumption that all ranked players are superior to all unranked ones. All I said was that played ranked inside top 250 tend to be among the best of all players in their local leagues, hence being inside top 250 is actually a good indicator of a players level. Perhaps you play in a league where players ranked 200-250 are not good enough to be at the top of their local league division, but all this means is that your league is an exception, not a rule.

I only take issue with the fact that being in the top 250 puts a player in the top 1% in terms of standard out of 25000 players. It actually puts a player in the top 40% of players who appear on the current ranking list, nothing more. There are many many players out of that 25000 who are proven in standard, still active in local league, but do not play ranking events, or are not on the mens list because they have only played Junior or vets events. I do understand Ben is just using this as a guide, but I think that by using two sets of figures, and the careful use of the term 'active competing players in England'  he's blurring the definitions a bit between local league and ETTA ratings events. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ping Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 3:46pm
Hi everyone!

It's great to hear your opinions and of course they are going to differ depending on your beliefs regarding "talent" and table tennis.

The ranking list isn't perfect (I think we would all agree on that wherever we are and whatever system we use) it's just an indicator of performance level.

To simplify we can forget the top 1% thing if that is unhelpful and just agree on this...

1. Every player currently ranked in the top 250 in England is a pretty decent level player.
2. You can't just jump into the top 250. You'll have to reach a pretty high level to get a ranking in there.
3. To go from nothing to top 250 would be a pretty impressive (read: potentially impossible) achievement.
4. If Sam does make it, albeit with an "out of the ordinary" amount of training, coaching and practice in a 12 month period, then perhaps with the right focus and determination it's possible to achieve more than we think.
5. If Sam doesn't make it, then clearly "more" is needed. More hours of training. More quality. More "talent". More coaching expertise. Or perhaps it's just not possible for Sam. I guess we'll never know.

What I do know is that I'm having a lot of fun doing this, learning loads, and I think Sam is too!

I hope that others will find what we get up to interesting and helpful. 

And I'll do my best to be completely open and truthful with exactly what we are doing, enjoying, struggling with, finding beneficial etc. so that you can follow along if you should so wish.

That's all for now :)
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 3:57pm

Hi everyone!

It's great to hear your opinions and of course they are going to differ depending on your beliefs regarding "talent" and table tennis.

The ranking list isn't perfect (I think we would all agree on that wherever we are and whatever system we use) it's just an indicator of performance level.

To simplify we can forget the top 1% thing if that is unhelpful and just agree on this...

1. Every player currently ranked in the top 250 in England is a pretty decent level player.
2. You can't just jump into the top 250. You'll have to reach a pretty high level to get a ranking in there.
3. To go from nothing to top 250 would be a pretty impressive (read: potentially impossible) achievement.
4. If Sam does make it, albeit with an "out of the ordinary" amount of training, coaching and practice in a 12 month period, then perhaps with the right focus and determination it's possible to achieve more than we think.
5. If Sam doesn't make it, then clearly "more" is needed. More hours of training. More quality. More "talent". More coaching expertise. Or perhaps it's just not possible for Sam. I guess we'll never know.

That sounds far better to be, I don't think he can do it, the time limit is too tight IMHO, but hats off for trying, I am really interested in this, especially as you post regular clips.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ping Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 4:29pm

That sounds far better to be, I don't think he can do it, the time limit is too tight IMHO, but hats off for trying, I am really interested in this, especially as you post regular clips.

simpson21 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpson21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 5:59pm
Hi everyone, it is interesting to hear everybody's opinions on whether it is possible. The fact so many don't believe it is means there is nothing to lose... if it works we have accomplished something special and shown that EFFECTIVE training can give big results compared to the standard way most people tend to train.

I must admit when Ben 1st sold the idea to me, I was not convinced it was possible, then after just a week or 2 of training it was incredible how well he had learnt the technique of some of the shots and thats when i started to believe it could just be possible.

Anybody who knows me will know my whole game is pretty much based around serve, receive and 3rd ball, so combining that with Ben's coaching will hopefully allow some improvements in more specific match-style situations.

The other big things to come out of this conversation on here so far is the "experience" factor, "those wily old players with 30+years of experience may be too clever for someone so new to the sport"
and also the transferring of good play into matches "it's one thing to do it in training, but can he do it in a match"

Both of these things are issues for any developing player regardless of level... I've been playing 17years, play at a pretty high level and just today got beaten comfortably by someone not much better who played very well tactically.
But these things are mental issues and on top of Sam's normal "on-the-table" practice we will hopefully work on his mental strength too. Skills such as imagery can really help speed up the learning process and help him to think better under pressure and as a result play better, and also I believe, learn to deal with the different styles a lot better too.

As with Ben earlier... sorry this post was so long, just came across the conversation now and spotted some talking points cropping up more than once so hopefully have given people a bit more hope in the attempt Smile
If you want to work on your mental game, check out www.brain-spec.blogspot.com for some interesting articles and contact details for a performance enhancement specialist
regiz.rugenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 6:34pm

I don't know the exact mechanic yet, but at this height of table tennis, I doubt it.. 

Even just to hand pick the right bat that would hopefully propel him to that level would already eat all of his time as he would surely find changes is needed for his preferences along that learning period.

Doable maybe but that's gonna be toughy.. good luck to the candidates.
Regiz°ᆗ
Rosewood_Carbon/Huricane_King   °FH:Vega_Japan/T64FX   °BH:OmegaV_Euro/Rasant
°°°°
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic