Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

FH Rubber choice dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FH Rubber choice dilemma
    Posted: 11/16/2022 at 7:52am
Hi all,

I'm quite settled on my BH rubber (D09c) and blade (Donic Dotec Waldner Carbon), but I'm still figuring out what FH rubber to use for my rather conventional looping style of play:

I've tried D09c, but the arc was a bit too high.
I've tried unboosted Hurricanes, but they were way too slow (I don't boost).
I'm currently trying Friendship Battle II, and it's ok, the arc is lower and longer but not particularly spinny.

I suspect the problem is because of the wood composition (balsa, carbon, limba) of my blade which makes it quite stiff, and hence not the most fitting for hard tacky rubbers that play better with flexible blades (e.g. Viscaria) to allow a bite on the ball. I like the blade though because of the handle and don't want to use a different blade.

Would a more catapulty Euro/Jan rubber be more fitting for this blade? I'm thinking of Dignics 05, Stiga DNA Dragon Grip, Tibhar K2/K3, maybe Rakza Z?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2022 at 8:37am
Rakza Z has a quite high throw also.

I would not get any hybrid rubber in your case.

Stick with D05 or any other ESN 50 degree rubber.. Dynaryz AGR, Evo MXD to name some.. 
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2022 at 9:23am
I agree that a balsa-carbon blade is not suited to Hurricanes, even if they are boosted.
But if you have a conventional looping style the logic would be using a looping blade. Viscaria, H-Long 5 or some Innerforce match with any rubber.
And there would a big advantage: you would not have to find a rubber to suit your blade, but a rubber that is the most lethal with your blade.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2022 at 5:34am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I agree that a balsa-carbon blade is not suited to Hurricanes, even if they are boosted.
But if you have a conventional looping style the logic would be using a looping blade. Viscaria, H-Long 5 or some Innerforce match with any rubber.
And there would a big advantage: you would not have to find a rubber to suit your blade, but a rubber that is the most lethal with your blade.

Agreed, no need to go that fancy... There's a reason why the blades are very popular...
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2022 at 5:43am
Conventional blades don't work for me due their handles - they're way too thin for my hands, which results in me squeezing the bat too much, putting extra strain on my elbow and reducing flexibility and feeling. Hence I started using the Dotec Waldner carbon blade, which sorts this out

I presume that with a flexible blade, one can use tacky rubbers because the springiness and 'catapult' is provided by the blade. And conversely, a stiff blade should go well with a catapulty rubber - i'm not sure about the spin and control in top gears though.

Dignics 05 seems like a good option, but would there by any equally catapulty rubbers with perhaps a bit more tack? 
Static View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2022 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

Conventional blades don't work for me due their handles - they're way too thin for my hands, which results in me squeezing the bat too much, putting extra strain on my elbow and reducing flexibility and feeling. Hence I started using the Dotec Waldner carbon blade, which sorts this out

I presume that with a flexible blade, one can use tacky rubbers because the springiness and 'catapult' is provided by the blade. And conversely, a stiff blade should go well with a catapulty rubber - i'm not sure about the spin and control in top gears though.

Dignics 05 seems like a good option, but would there by any equally catapulty rubbers with perhaps a bit more tack? 

You might like K3 in that case. It's not really tacky but you can tell the topsheet has been treated in a way that makes it play similar to other hybrid rubbers. Very good grip at the least. It has a lower arc (but still not very low) than Rakza Z and is a little less linear and more bouncy on softer shots maybe, on full swings they are pretty similar. Haven't played with D05 in ages but from what I remember the K3 will have less catapult than D05. 
Innerforce ALC, FH: Tenergy 19, BH:EL-P
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2022 at 7:12am

D05 is super fast and bouncy, it's a bad rubber for service receive unless you're flicking or sideswiping most serves... It's just plain bad for pushing. I use it on the BH but I seldom push with the BH anyway (chiquita being a much stronger receive option in general imo) unless I get serious heavy pure backspin, but those are by far the easiest serves to push so it works out for me. Imo if you flick and loop and go into lots of rallies D05 is really good, but if you do a lot of ultra spinny opening loops, FH loopkills, short game, pushing, then I think D09c or some other hybrid tacky rubber would be the best. 

I'm not sure why ppl go on about throw angle and arc over here, you should be able to adjust your stroke easily to control the arc of the ball in general otherwise how are you reacting to balls of different spins and trajectories? To me spin/speed ratios, catapult, spin sensitivity vs spin generation capabilities, amount of gears and control, these are far more important.

Edited by blahness - 11/17/2022 at 7:15am
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2022 at 10:45am

For FH I use Goldarc 8 in 50°, max thick. It´s not as fast as D05, but more spinny. Maybe it can be a good FH option to your game.
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2022 at 12:07pm
Ok controversial opinion time, for low-arc, good spin, spring/catapult rubbers - I really like Tenergy 25FX. Played with it for a long time and loved it. 
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2022 at 11:01pm
Get yourself some Nittaku FastArc G1

I transitioned to it from years playing with hurricane 3 due to lack of training.

Works well with different blades (tried hinoki,limba, koto blades)
I’m sure the Balsa won’t be bad.

Try not to stretch it when gluing. Good luck. 
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2022 at 12:09am
I'd like to propose something else starting from the bh. My absolute best feel and results beating better players than me happened with a vega pro blade with T80FX on the bh. All mediocre strokes supported by weak wrist snaps would still produce a more than decent bh loop and anything on the FH would do. I never tried T80FX on the FH and with a harder outer ply, it could be a super reliable combo but let's keep it simple: I suggest typical club players who are not going to the olympics to try a 85gr vega pro with T80FX 1.9mm on both sides. A BTY MJ around 85gr will offer about the same but it will be faster with more errors.

Edited by stiltt - 11/18/2022 at 12:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic