FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Home-made rubber cleaner?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home-made rubber cleaner?
    Posted: 03/09/2007 at 10:33am
I'm relatively...shall we say, 'frugal', so here's how I keep my rubber in decent shape without spending big bucks.
I have an abundance of alcohol wipes, so I clean first with that (it does a great job- cuts the oils, etc.) then rejuvinate with either pure silicone spray or Armour All.
Armour all is great for car tires and any kind of rubber/vinyl reconditioning. Anyone have any negative/positive experiences with this?
Do you have a home made cleaner of your own design?
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

Sponsored Links

wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2007 at 9:40pm
For new rubbers plain water is great.  If you play in a dusty club then once a week use a little dish washing soap diluted in water to clean them.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
Markus. L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markus. L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2007 at 1:23am
water is the way to go
Nittaku Acoustic-FL
fh/bh-Almana

BUTTERFLY Timo Boll TriCarbon-FL
fh/bh-Optimum MP

DONIC Waldner Senso Carbon
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2007 at 1:57am
I'm with LoopDaddy . . .
Anyone use Armour All to rejuvinate their rubber? It makes sense. Any reason not to use it?
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2007 at 2:32am
I like to start with a 4 ounces of water and then add 5 or 6 drops of H2O. This works quite well, and you wont have to spend big bucks.
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2007 at 10:13am
Armor All in the U.S. leaves a slick oily residue on rubber and vinyl automotive parts. I can't imagine that a slick surface would work well in TT.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2007 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by MindTrip MindTrip wrote:

Armor All in the U.S. leaves a slick oily residue on rubber and vinyl automotive parts. I can't imagine that a slick surface would work well in TT.

alcohol wears out rubber (dries it out).

silicone is a lubricant that doesn't evaporate.

can't see how these or armor all would do anything but ruin the grip of the rubber.

water > *
loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2007 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by MindTrip MindTrip wrote:

alcohol wears out rubber (dries it out).

silicone is a lubricant that doesn't evaporate.

can't see how these or armor all would do anything but ruin the grip of the rubber.

water > *

Table tennis rubber is silicone rubber, and one of the beauties of slicone rubber is it's resistence to chemicals. Alcohol won't dry it out, especially if you treat it with silicone to keep it supple and clean. As far as Armour All goes, it's basically just silicone with a few more additives. I've never noticed an oily residue from Armour All, but if you experience that then I wouldn't use it either. I use pure silicone and the rubber soaks it up and keeps it's elasticity and strength. Straight water won't cut the human oils from your rubber and that, combined with dust, will rob you of spin faster than anything. Soap and water will clean some of the oil off, but soap may leave a film on the rubber.
There's no way I'd ever spend $50 on rubber and not treat it with silicone after a good cleaning.
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

kyoshojoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyoshojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2007 at 1:06am
Has anyone tried using TQ Traction Formula (traction compound used for foam/rubber racing tires on Radio Control Racing cars)?  It contains mostly:  octyl salicylate and methyl salicylate.  Kinda smells like mint.
Thx
pongp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2007 at 5:04am
just use dishwashing liquid... it take away all the oil and dust. Take away the dishwash liquid with water and the rubber is like new...

I will try a silicone spray on an old rubber to see if it works. Is this the stuff you buy for cleaning your derailleur (bike-chain...?) I have a spray like that, it's called sillicone spray, so i'll see...
loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2007 at 7:37am
some dishwashing liquid will cut oils ok. I just don't like using too much water on the rubber incase it gets trapped under the rubber or gets into the plys of the blade.
regarding silicone, I'm using pure stuff from auto detailing. I'd check what kind of additives are in the spray type in case it has oils in it.
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2007 at 3:55pm
Hmm.. better solution, try toothpaste, it squeaky cleans and rubber is little faster like restored in its original speed
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2007 at 3:58pm
ivory soap!!  it'll make any rubber look brand new!!
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2007 at 4:10pm
I like these remedies . . .
Ivory and Toothpaste. I've used Tom's of Maine and it worked great . . . and it's natural, for what that's worth. I am fascinated by the idea of using Silicone for heavy duty restoration. It's expensive for the pure stuff. I hear 3M has a good can, but I'd love to have it in a liquid form and use from a dropper. Any out there?
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic