Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane 3: National/Provincial/Normal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chotter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane 3: National/Provincial/Normal?
    Posted: 04/09/2007 at 1:11pm
Hi guys, what exactly is the difference between those national/provincial versions compared with the normal one except for the price? Could be that I'm no pro, but I have played some national versions but they didn't seem so much different than the normal ones? Can anyone elaborate please?
penholder
Sponsored Links

phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2007 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by chotter chotter wrote:

Hi guys, what exactly is the difference between those national/provincial versions compared with the normal one except for the price? Could be that I'm no pro, but I have played some national versions but they didn't seem so much different than the normal ones? Can anyone elaborate please?

Best I can put it...

Compared to commercial: The National sponge tends to be more elastic and reacts well to lots of speed glue.  Provincial seems to have a better top sheet and OK sponge that is closer to the commercial version. Both seems a little lighter in weight than the commercial. Whether they are worth the price differences, that's one's opinion.
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2007 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by chotter chotter wrote:

Thats because a lot of rubbers floating around are fake National.  Even in the real National I am told it varies depending on who it is made for but is consistent for that person 's style or preference.  The problem is there is a lot of inconsistency so the playability of the commercial sheets can vary greatly.  Then the Nittaku H2 & H3 plays different to the DHS because of the Japanese sponge.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2007 at 12:02am
The Provincial is a lot like the G-666, so I can't see spending the $ for it. I don't know about the National, but the problem is (based on living in China) you never know if it's real or an imatation. In Mainland they are really good at doing fakes . . . sometimes the fakes are good . . . sometimes not. I have a James Bond collection that's great, except Thunderball switches from English to French half way through. So, maybe your H2 will be H2 on the left side and PF4ish on the right. Who knows? That's the point. Having said all this . . . ask questions from someone you trust . . . buy from a reputable dealer.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2007 at 12:47am
Always get stock from coaches that have connections in China...it won't be what the pro's get, but it is far superior to commercial.

Commercial is HEAVIER, SLOWER, LESS REACTIVE TO GLUE, MORE STICKY (not really a good thing...i'll explain),  MORE INCONSISTANT, VARYING HARDNESSES.

Ok, a sticker H3 serves much better, how ever since when you glue (actually I should say when I glue since everyone tells me I glue more than them) there will be more speed and softer sponge. However the problem begins when you hit outside the sweet spot, since it is stickier it magnifys the difference between inside and outside sweet spot ie, holds it for longer and throws your timing off. Honestly not everyone is able play within the sweet spot for everyshot.

Basically good H3 should be very grippy but unable to pick up a ball, and also very elastic.

just my 2 cents,
Gark
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
khoan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khoan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2007 at 1:22am
Hum ... rubbers which have regional differences within itself. Should be a fun one to try to tame.

Do they have rubbers with 1/4 long pip, 1/4 smooth, 1/4 short pip, 1/4 anti etc etc? What about sponge? Blade?
Darker Point Carbon
FH: Palio Macro Era
BH: Palio Macro Era

ktstt.com
chotter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2007 at 1:18pm
Thanks all of you. Your posts are really helpfull. So if I read you guys right, if for example you are lucky, a good version of the commercial one could come very close to the pro versions? I also heard that the export H3(I also buy in China) version is mostly better in quality. Seems logical to me, what do you think tommyzai? Now having read your posts I put more attention to elasticity and glueing when playing, and from what I can observe, they indeed seem to be more elastic and have less tacky toplayers, I guess I was expecting some more spectacular differences. I guess you only profit considerably from it when you are really good, for a normal guy like me it will not make such a big difference, what do you guys think?
penholder
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2007 at 2:42pm
Chotter,
I think it's important to buy fresh sheets of rubber, regardless of stickiness/tackiness. But, remember, most Chinese rubbers are like flypaper, which isn't all bad. It often works for them. It's about style of play and what suits you . . . what you feel comfortable with. I got so excited about the H2, I bought 4 sheets based on review and hype. Within a week I realized I hated it and had to sell the rest off for a loss. It's a great rubber, but not for me!!! Hardly anyone seems to use the G-666 and Dipper; however, I've won a bunch of matches with them.
I buy here and there. But, if you buy direct from China there's a good chance you'll get fresher stuff, but I've bought sheets in China that had a date stamp from 2 years ago. At my level I believe in buying good quality BASIC popular gear from reputable dealers, who deal direct with the factory/company and quality inspect the sheets. Cole does this. Jian from DHS supplies does this. Tom from Zeropong does this. The "special" versions of popular rubber is often FAKE. I'd be VERY careful when buying Provincial or National anything! Unless I was sponsored I would NOT seek these "special" rubbers. I will stay with the good basic gear and work on my technique. Then, when I am competing at a VERY high level I might try to gain an edge and further improve my game with the rubber that has some stamped seal and numbers on it. Many champions became champions by using basic stuff . . . like the DHS PF4.  I remember trying out for HS and College baseball teams . . . there were always some rich kids showing up with $1000 of new shiney stuff and they usually stunk.  I don't want to be those kids and you don't either.
If you're an intermediate guitar player, does it make sense to buy a $10,000 Martin special edition? NO. What recording equipment did the Beatles use? I could go on and on. Bottom line . . . it's about skill. Use GOOD commercial rubber, not SPECIAL rubber. Spend your money on building skills. Play, Play, Play. Ask questions about technique. Watch videos. Get a coach. That's what I would advise, unless you are competing at the very highest level.
Regardless of what you decide I wish you the best. I hope some of what I rambled in useful.
Take care.
TZ
PS. Having said all that . . . I will say that using the right rubber does make a big difference, but it does not have to National or Provincial.
loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2007 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Chotter,
I think it's important to buy fresh sheets of rubber, regardless of stickiness/tackiness. But, remember, most Chinese rubbers are like flypaper, which isn't all bad. It often works for them. It's about style of play and what suits you . . . what you feel comfortable with. I got so excited about the H2, I bought 4 sheets based on review and hype. Within a week I realized I hated it and had to sell the rest off for a loss. It's a great rubber, but not for me!!! Hardly anyone seems to use the G-666 and Dipper; however, I've won a bunch of matches with them.
I buy here and there. But, if you buy direct from China there's a good chance you'll get fresher stuff, but I've bought sheets in China that had a date stamp from 2 years ago. At my level I believe in buying good quality BASIC popular gear from reputable dealers, who deal direct with the factory/company and quality inspect the sheets. Cole does this. Jian from DHS supplies does this. Tom from Zeropong does this. The "special" versions of popular rubber is often FAKE. I'd be VERY careful when buying Provincial or National anything! Unless I was sponsored I would NOT seek these "special" rubbers. I will stay with the good basic gear and work on my technique. Then, when I am competing at a VERY high level I might try to gain an edge and further improve my game with the rubber that has some stamped seal and numbers on it. Many champions became champions by using basic stuff . . . like the DHS PF4.  I remember trying out for HS and College baseball teams . . . there were always some rich kids showing up with $1000 of new shiney stuff and they usually stunk.  I don't want to be those kids and you don't either.
If you're an intermediate guitar player, does it make sense to buy a $10,000 Martin special edition? NO. What recording equipment did the Beatles use? I could go on and on. Bottom line . . . it's about skill. Use GOOD commercial rubber, not SPECIAL rubber. Spend your money on building skills. Play, Play, Play. Ask questions about technique. Watch videos. Get a coach. That's what I would advise, unless you are competing at the very highest level.
Regardless of what you decide I wish you the best. I hope some of what I rambled in useful.
Take care.
TZ
PS. Having said all that . . . I will say that using the right rubber does make a big difference, but it does not have to National or Provincial.

It's pretty hard to argue with excellent advice like that.

More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2007 at 11:29pm
ditto...
respect.

Gark
(\__/)

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2007 at 12:37am
We're all in this together!!!!! :-). All the best.
WLiqin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WLiqin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2007 at 12:39am
Just a thought though, isnt the hurricane 3 pretty much the same as the TG3? true it might have a little more speed and spin but when both are glued up who can notice the difference? besides pros i dont think anyone can. Plus i think the TG series is much more consistent with the sponge degree and manufacturing. 
Clipper Wood
H2 2.2
Refoma 2.0
back to EE2...
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2007 at 1:06am
The H series seems a little crude and inconsistent to me. I've had at least half-dozen H2+H3. Last week I bid on a Skyline TG2 and TG3 and won. Just got them the other day and glued them up. I haven't played with them yet, but from my handling and observations I'd say the TG2 is like a higher quality version of the H3 and the TG3 is like a higher quality version of the H2.
TG2=H3
TG3=H2
There was a thread a couple weeks ago suggesting the same, I believe. I think it may have been a poll about DHS Rubbers. Check it out! I think there was some good stuff in it.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2007 at 8:59am
I'd agreee that from the commercial version, the TG series is definately of a higher quality and also more control.
However if you've been playing with the H-series for a while, you'd notice the speed difference, maybe it was just the TG2 I tried, but it was so tacky that it made Geospin Tacky look like Jap rubber! 3 weeks in and still could not break into the rubber (either that or someone at the factory got a little too enthusiastic with the spinmax).

I've heard that TG3 supposedly plays a little better but I haven't tried it so I won't comment.

Gark
(\__/)

chotter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2007 at 11:47am
thanks TZ, you've said it all.  Fact is that I'm kinda testing various rubbers to see what suits me best. I like the H3 on my forehand, if I can afford it I will certainly have the national ;) but if I play longer than 4 hours it plays like toiletpaper unless I glue again. On my backhand I have bryce fx for rpb. At the moment I'm quite ok with this combo although I have to speedglue. I'll certainly try the dipper and G666. I'm having second thoughts about my YO blade, I feel it lacks power. After one or two set it feels like a have finished a marathon. I'm thinking carbon, soft carbon or arylate carbon, care to comment on that? Is there much difference with various brands like stiga or butterfly?
penholder
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2007 at 12:15pm
Take this as an opportunity to improve the physical aspect of your game. How much effort does it take to do a few pushups, chin-ups and squats regularly? Once you get stronger you handle heavier setups, which means a vast power increase (you swing faster, plus you have a heavier bat).
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
WLiqin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WLiqin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2007 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

The H series seems a little crude and inconsistent to me. I've had at least half-dozen H2+H3. Last week I bid on a Skyline TG2 and TG3 and won. Just got them the other day and glued them up. I haven't played with them yet, but from my handling and observations I'd say the TG2 is like a higher quality version of the H3 and the TG3 is like a higher quality version of the H2.
TG2=H3
TG3=H2
There was a thread a couple weeks ago suggesting the same, I believe. I think it may have been a poll about DHS Rubbers. Check it out! I think there was some good stuff in it.

I always thought that the TG3 had a low throw angle and the H2 had a high throw angle?
Clipper Wood
H2 2.2
Refoma 2.0
back to EE2...
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2007 at 9:34pm
I'm not sure about the throw angle of either TG2 or 3 . . . haven't hit a ball yet. Anyone able to compare the TGs and Hs in play?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic