FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Ecolo Expander 2 and water glue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ecolo Expander 2 and water glue
    Posted: 05/22/2007 at 5:08am
Has anybody tried Ecolo Expander 2 and water glue ?
I suppose the effect is the same as using glue.
is there any problem with the adhesive power of the water glue ?
You know the EE2 creates a dome , so its difficult for the rubber to stick even with normal glue.
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
Sponsored Links

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2007 at 11:13am
EEII works well on several different rubbers. Tried the Aqua stick glue and never again. It never sets up. Makes a real mess and does not hold. Luckily it comes off with a wet rag. Even after 10 days it was still not set. Even with pips and thin sponge, finger pressure on the rubber during play moved the rubber loose from the blade.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2007 at 1:48pm
So it's impossible to use EEII and water glue.
Interesting.

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2007 at 2:04pm
Hi Stavros,
     Thats true for the Aqua Stick. I have not tried any other water based glues.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2007 at 2:09pm
Well this is the Aqua Stick which is a little deoderant-like stick - actually, the glue works well as a deoderant I've found, during play.

Ironically Aqua Stick + EE2 are not compatable!  In the sense that EE2 makes the rubber curl so much the aqua stick can't hold it down - why didn't Juic test this?? (and I pressed this glue job for 5 days hoping it would finally set)

I'd like to hear someone's experiences with regular brush on water-based glues, holding down domed rubbers - the water based glues clean up more easily which I like.

Aquastick can hold a regular FLAT sheet of rubber down, which is nice.  It cleans off easily with water.  The concept is nice, but the execution has a ways to go.

A genius idea I had: put a layer of velcro on the blade and rubber - lets you swap out rubbers easily during play.  I will let you know how it works.
tonovector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonovector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2007 at 2:48pm

I tried EE2 with Aqua Stick on Butterfly Cermet and Sriver EL.  I had the same results as hookshot, and could not get the rubber to stick.  Then I tried Juic Aqua Effect, with slightly better hold, but still not acceptable.  Then I tried regular glue, and the rubber curled up much more as soon as I put the glue on.  Eventually, after about 4 coats of glue and 12 hours, the rubbers stuck.

The lessons learned, as far as I�m concerned, are:

1) EE2 domes the rubber too much to be able to use water-based glue.

2) regular glue makes EE2-treated rubber curl up A LOT.

3) you need to be patient to make EE2-treated rubbers stick with regular glue.

4) EE2 effect does last the life of the rubber (about 4-5 months, in my case)

Darker 5P-2A
FH BTY Tenergy 05
BH BTY Solcion
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2007 at 3:17pm

The Aqua Stick just didn't work, even as ordinary glue. I tried it on a brand new piece of Sriver EL with a new Stiga blade, you can't get much flatter than that. It still didn't stick. The simple act of cutting the rubber on the edge caused it to start peeling back up. I squished the whole thing with a clicky press, after 10 minutes of normal hitting the whole sheet peeled off again. I used regular rubber cement and it is now fine.

And that's without adding EE2 into the mix.

jfolsen
mece View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2007 at 5:18pm
why not trying less coats of EE2(2 max), so it doesn't curl up too much?

tonovector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonovector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2007 at 5:48pm
In fact, I DID use just 2 coats of EE2 on my rubbers.  This was enough to produce a dome that the Aqua Stick and Aqua Effect couldn�t hold down.  Once you apply regular glue to EE2 treated rubbers, though, the dome gets huge....
Darker 5P-2A
FH BTY Tenergy 05
BH BTY Solcion
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2007 at 2:20am
As far as I understand ,EEII will be useless after the glue ban.
What a pity!
It seems strange to me that the TT companies cannot create a water based glue with enough adhesive power!
They cannot create a glue to stick a 80gr piece of rubber to a wood. They are stupids.
Reese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2007 at 3:59pm
After using EE, I use Best Test Rubber Cement to glue down the sheet.  Yep, the curl is multiplied when the glue hits the sheet after the EE(II) is applied.  I put down 2 layers of Best Test on the sponge and let it sit for a few hours so that some of the solvent will evaporate from the glue and sponge.  I wait 5 minutes between layers.  You will notice that the curl is reduced somewhat if you wait a few hours (if not overnight).  Then I will slap the rubbers onto the blade.  I also pay attention to put as thick a layer at the edges as I put in the center of the sheet.  After a night of being under some heavy books, the rubbers stick pretty good.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2007 at 4:06pm
Chronos, is that rutger hauer in your picture? Perhaps playing chess with the other brother darrell in Bladerunner?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
sunflex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2007 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Chronos, is that rutger hauer in your picture? Perhaps playing chess with the other brother darrell in Bladerunner?
RUTGER HAUER THE DUTCHMAN
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2007 at 10:35pm
Yes!  It's Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty, I think playing chess with JF Sebastian, before his meeting with Tyrell.  It's a shame they didn't show the replicants playing table tennis - "We're no computers Sebastian!  We're physical!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic