Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How do you make "Treated Pips"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cheapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you make "Treated Pips"?
    Posted: 07/25/2007 at 5:54pm
I hear a lot of talk these days about "Treated Pips".  I also hear that you can "treat" your own pips. 
Can some one explain what "Treated Pips" are and is it possible to "Treat" your own LPs?  and if you can treat your own LPs how do you do it?

Sponsored Links

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2007 at 3:50am
Treating pips is illegal and against the spirit of table tennis.

PS: Put some super glue on the top of your pips.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
InsaneBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InsaneBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2007 at 6:07am
Spraying hairspray on your pips may help also ..
Didn't ty it myself (yet) Evil%20Smile.
But coating your pips with superglue is noticable, because after playing the tops of your pips become white..
TTC Hoeselt (Belgium)
FR: Tibhar IV S, Stiga Defensive, Andro Blax Off
VH: Sriver EL, DHS PF4-1 Def, 729 GeoSpin Tacky
RH: 729 755, 729 837, 729 799
Atomica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2007 at 6:45am
 Soak your pips in spinmax first.

This will make them very sticky and spinny.

Then brush a little bit of superglue on the tips of the pips. This will make the top of the pips frictionless when the glue has dried.

Result: Smooth frictionless pip tips with sticky spinny sides.
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2007 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Atomica Atomica wrote:

The thought of that result infuriates me
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
lucioping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucioping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2007 at 10:42am
In italy some players are specialized in treat long pimpled and is near impossible to play against them: one of them told me how to treat but never tried. I wrote it on my website but it is in italian language; i try to explain in english but my english is not so good.

the easy way is to put some oil on the pimples

the best way: you have to put long pimple in a box with solvent (trichloroethylene) some seconds; immediatly the rubber enlarges; when the pimples are near the original width but a bit larger is better, put inside another box with linen oil to keep that new shape. After you will have a rubber with larger pimple but softer and very deceptive.

Another way is to cook the rubber inside microwave or owen, or to let it in the sun to have a slower rubber.

Another way is to put some cream under the rubber

but if you use some rubbers you are not a sportman and is not legal: but I think everyone has to know how can be treated a rubber
ping pong website www.eachengit.com
BL: Dr.neubauer Barricade
FH: DHS G666 2,2mm
Bh: RITC 802 1,0mm
Harold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2007 at 11:32am
Originally posted by gekogark1212 gekogark1212 wrote:

LOL

You have my sentiments man.
cheapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2007 at 1:01pm
Thanks for the replies. 

I am was not aware of the large number of ways you can Treat pips.  I had heard of the super glue method, however, I can't figure out how you actually treat just the top of the pips.  Super glue drys VERY fast, so it would see very difficult to "roller" it on. 

Isn't some of Dr. Neubauer rubber sheets considered "treated"? 

I am just doing some research on this subject for educational purposes only. 

Thanks Lucioping for some of your ideas.  What is the Italian web address that you wrote about? 

InsaneBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InsaneBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2007 at 3:05pm
All the Dr.'s rubber sheets are treated, but within the old regulations of the ittf. Now with the upcoming minimum friction limit, most of the Dr. Neubauer rubbers will be banned (i guess). Even the 755 Faster will be forbidden i heard ... :(
TTC Hoeselt (Belgium)
InsaneBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InsaneBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2007 at 4:10pm
Geek What strange effects would microwaving your pips have? Will it soften the pips, or just harden it? Does the color change if the pips are red?
TTC Hoeselt (Belgium)
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2007 at 10:08pm
The idea of treating long pimples is usaully to make the tips very different from the sides of the pimples, so you get a different effect depending on how much you bend the tips. This has actually always been against the ITTF rules (since rubber material needs to be continuous), but the ITTF has recently annouced that they will ban them.

Their test for treated pips is to measure the friction level since most treated pips have very low friction levels. Unfortunately this has the effect of banning some of the non-treated pips as well, which I strongly oppose!
There should be nothing wrong with having a sheet of completely frictionless long pimples, it does not break any ITTF rules....Angry
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2007 at 10:53pm

I know that playing with pips requires skills also, but I still think that pips players depend too much on the rubbers rather than their normal skill.  I hope I don't create an uproar among pips players with my comment.  The reason I said this:  there is an old player in my club that play with treated pips and it's hard to beat him because in order to do that we have to beat both him and his rubbers (too deceptive).

Jpholder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jpholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2007 at 11:26pm

Ocasionally I play against treated LP, and it's difficult.  In Jakarta, it's easy to buy a treated LP sheet.

pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2007 at 10:54am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

The idea of treating long pimples is usaully to make the tips very different from the sides of the pimples, so you get a different effect depending on how much you bend the tips. This has actually always been against the ITTF rules (since rubber material needs to be continuous), but the ITTF has recently annouced that they will ban them.

Their test for treated pips is to measure the friction level since most treated pips have very low friction levels. Unfortunately this has the effect of banning some of the non-treated pips as well, which I strongly oppose!
There should be nothing wrong with having a sheet of completely frictionless long pimples, it does not break any ITTF rules....Angry

Even though I don't like playing players using Treated long pips, I also agree, if it doesn't break any current ITTF Rules, then that particular LP should stay.

As i understand, the ones that are uniform throughout should be OK. Even if they are slightly frictionless.

They haven't said they would ban Antispin rubber, its totally frictionless.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
tt12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2007 at 11:13am

IMO, I have no objection people trying to enhance their rubbers' performance by using glues. It still requires a lot of practice to make it work. I have been using long pips for many years, and still trying to make it more deceptive by spraying it with hair spray,  putting uneven sponges under the rubber sheet, and even broke up the blade and re-attached it so that the bounce became irregular. But, I still think that the most effective way is to get the tips treated like the Dr. Neubauer's. It is effective such that parts of the pips have different hardness and have irregular response to the ball.  Do you know what to use, and how to do it?   For instance, where to get the trichloroethylene, how to stick it to the tips ? 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2007 at 11:27am
I just go to ace hardware and buy krazy glue in a little bottle with a brush and brush it onto the pips.  Again, it's not legal but if you want to make a sheet to practice against in your club but you don't want to drop $45, for a test sheet, it's a valid option.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2021 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by gekogark1212 gekogark1212 wrote:

I feel the same about speed-glued inverted. ;-)

*It took me 13 1/2 years to respond to this thread. LOL

Edited by tommyzai - 03/23/2021 at 6:47pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
DonjoSmit View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonjoSmit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2021 at 1:49pm

I agree with you all that it is wrong to modify pips as it is against ITTF rules 

Given that you made this post in 2007, did they not ban some frictionless long pips after 2007 ?
 I am not sure about the exact year  2010 ? 2012 ? 

So if there was "nothing wrong" with completely frictionless long pips why were some of them banned , based on some kind of measurement of friction ?

I am not trying to question you or make fun of you . Just trying understand why this ban occurred and which country initiated this and how do players feel about this in general 

Some players I know tell me frictionless pips are unethical because the lack of friction makes the ball go crazy in random fashion sometimes but not all the time and so not fair to more athletic normal players (who use normal regular rubber reversed rubbers and work very hard to train using regular topspin )  who get confused & frustrated when older players use such tricky pips and win.

Some of them also told me that this eventually caused lots of young players worldwide to quit the sport getting frustrated. 

I would like to hear your side of opinion

Edited by DonjoSmit - 03/24/2021 at 3:51pm
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by lucioping lucioping wrote:

In italy some players are specialized in treat long pimpled and is near impossible to play against them: one of them told me how to treat but never tried. I wrote it on my website but it is in italian language; i try to explain in english but my english is not so good.

the easy way is to put some oil on the pimples

the best way: you have to put long pimple in a box with solvent (trichloroethylene) some seconds; immediatly the rubber enlarges; when the pimples are near the original width but a bit larger is better, put inside another box with linen oil to keep that new shape. After you will have a rubber with larger pimple but softer and very deceptive.
I tried something similer. Ya, the result was so good Wink. The downside was that the rubber was wrinkly. 

Originally posted by lucioping lucioping wrote:

Another way is to cook the rubber inside microwave or owen, or to let it in the sun to have a slower rubber.

I tried the UV lamp insteadWink

Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic