Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures of your ONE-Ply Hinoki Blade...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 11:47am
Originally posted by tiehwen tiehwen wrote:

Aeoliah should be excited to see/know that..@ least I'm. Ur search is finally over. I guess.

Only a bit, because the difference is only 1 gram, I would not be able to feel it. Besides, if you enlarge the picture, there is a dark line passing the "N" (from Nittaku). I don't like that.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Sponsored Links

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 11:54am
what's that mean if there is/r dark line(S) like that passing vertically? Some even have distinct color contrasts. say 1 portion is just disproportionally lighter than the other.
Adib View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

Only a bit, because the difference is only 1 gram, I would not be able to feel it. Besides, if you enlarge the picture, there is a dark line passing the "N" (from Nittaku). I don't like that.

What do you mean by this line???
Blade:Nittaku Rorin 9mm,Xiom RSM Gold,TSP YAMATO-K 10.5mm
Rubber:Black 38 degree Hurricane 3 Provincial
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 12:16pm

Aeoliah should be excited to see/know that..@ least I'm. Ur search is finally over. I guess.

That dark line is actually two growth lines packed together.  It means an autumn or spring season between two growth years, the tree didn't get enough rain and did not grow much.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 12:25pm

@Gknight. Very interesting...well, if we look @ jpenlover's new KTS n Cypress Max. there r two quite prominent darker lines on KTS n none on Cmax @ all. The grains look pretty well-packed n uniform. Does that mean CMax's wood is better?

@Jpenlover. For a non-perfectionist like me, I'd prefer that Cypress Max. So distinct, clear n well-balanced as far as its grains go.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 12:51pm
My personal opinion is they are all good.  They all have the minimum attributes to be classified as high-quality Hinoki 1-ply Jpens.  Aesthetically one might be more visually pleasing than the other.  But to be perfectly honest, I think for mere mortals like us, we won't be able to tell the difference between the one that has perfectly equal-spaced lines (on left side and right side of the blade) and flawless eyes on the sides from a blade that is less perfect when you play both side-by-side.
ryno View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 1:04pm
Actually the pros don't even use as good of blades as some of us have.Look at ryus blade.It is impossible to have a perfect blade unless you grew your hinoki in a lab.It takes hundreds of years for these trees to mature and to get perfect soil and weather for that amount of time is impossible.I think with global warming and polution you will see a decrease in quality lumber as well.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 1:12pm
Well..that's true as what the pros. use. But since we r all mortals n we dun even play a tiny fraction as good as them. We might as well get the best 'equipment' money can buy or as we can possibly afford. Life is short n lets all go out n play pong....
I'd not throw my racket like RSM did once onto the floor. I'd never abuse my jpen or any of my heavenly blades.
jpenlover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 1:43pm

@Gknight. Very interesting...well, if we look @ jpenlover's new KTS n Cypress Max. there r two quite prominent darker lines on KTS n none on Cmax @ all. The grains look pretty well-packed n uniform. Does that mean CMax's wood is better?

@Jpenlover. For a non-perfectionist like me, I'd prefer that Cypress Max. So distinct, clear n well-balanced as far as its grains go.

The darker lines on KTS is caused by the excessive oil coming out of the wood. Some people likes this kind of wood and some don't. I really like it and this KTS is the best blade I have ever played (I had owned about 20 or so blades). The CMax has the best grains I have ever seen so I am keeping it as my collection and have no plan to play with it. By the way, the CMax weighs 108 g, which is probably too heavy for me to play with anyway.
Blade: Butterfly TBS
Rubber: H3 Neo
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 2:22pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but while all hinoki is cypress, not all cypress is hinoki right? And not all hinoki is necessarily as good as japanese hinoki. They have a lot of hinoki coming out of oregon but I bet it's not as good.

I say that to ask if that cmax is actually hinoki or just cypress from somwhere else?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
jpenlover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 2:56pm
The CMax is Japanese hinoki. CMax is Butterfly's replacement for Ryu Seung Min after Ryu went with Xiom. Japanese Kiso Hinoki is the best you can get in the world and I don't think hinoki coming out of Oregon can be nearly as good.
Blade: Butterfly TBS
Rubber: H3 Neo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while all hinoki is cypress, not all cypress is hinoki right? And not all hinoki is necessarily as good as japanese hinoki. They have a lot of hinoki coming out of oregon but I bet it's not as good.

I say that to ask if that cmax is actually hinoki or just cypress from somwhere else?

Partially correct Smile

More precisely, they are all from the family of Cupressaceae.  The Oregon one is also called Port Orford Cedar and belongs to the specie called Chamaecyparis lawsoniana.  Hinoki is of similar classification, just different spicie, called Chamaecyparis obtusa.  That specie only grows in Japan.

I have a Jpen 1-ply blank made of Port Orford Cedar.  It is lighter and it feels softer than Hinoki.  The grains pattern looks very similar to Hinoki, some areas are much denser.  The smell is very different, not as aromatic and spicy as Hinoki.  The color is much darker too.  This one that I have vibrates a lot.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 3:58pm

@ GKnight..man..u sure have done ur homework. Ur presentation probably scored an A+. Ashame to say I've no clue re: all those jagons/names u used. Dang! that 1st paragraph of urs does separate me, a boy from Men.

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 11:09pm
I have the feeling that the dark line represent a joint which is weaker compared to the other grain line, whilst different shade of colour has nothing to do with the joints at the grain line, so I think it is ok, although aesthethically it is not perfect to look at.
As for the first picture from Jpenlover, I don't like it either.
I would not buy a blade unless I can see it at least from the pictures.  Am I the fussy one ?
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2007 at 11:32pm

Ermmmm...for that huge sum of $ to pay for any of those 3 above, if I were the potential owner/buyer I'd've every right to be "fussy"/scrutinizing every single, fine details...in this case...those jam-packed grains. To be fair, that Cypress Max won over my heart. Heart Even tho' it is chubby.

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2007 at 12:58am
Agreed 100%. For me the Cypress Max has more value compared to the other one.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 1:53am
Time to revisit this thread Smile, here's my cho tokusen, i've shaved on the corner a bit and also removed little cork on end of the handle.

Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 1:54am
one more

Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 3:33am
That is my current favourite blade. What is the weight of your Cho Tokusen ?
Mine does not have the red sticker on top of the handle, but on the left side it has a plastic insert, which I don't see in your picture.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

sydoz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sydoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 5:44am
Here is my Kokutaku Cho Tokusen  9 mm 83gm. Lines are not straight at the center, but VERY dense.

rpbnakata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpbnakata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 7:07am
Here is my Darker Speed 50 Cpen which I turned into a Jpen.

Phenom st/BW3/Ω3Euro ● Photino st/Ω4Pro/R7S ● Speed 90 fl/Vega Euro/S3
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 10:56am

That is my current favourite blade. What is the weight of your Cho Tokusen ?
Mine does not have the red sticker on top of the handle, but on the left side it has a plastic insert, which I don't see in your picture.

Mine is the old model, which is why i guess there's no plastic insert on the handle. I dunno the weight yet, i guess i should find out Smile
T h e N A M View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T  h  e  N  A M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 11:19am
Originally posted by rpbnakata rpbnakata wrote:

Here is my Darker Speed 50 Cpen which I turned into a Jpen.

um.... GREAT!
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 11:55am
is there any place like homedepot or someplace  where i can weigh in my blade, i don't want to buy a scale just for this. 
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 2:17pm
ok finally got the weight, its 84 grams.
sydoz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sydoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 6:18pm

That is my current favourite blade.

Aeoliah, how is your Nittaku Cho-Tokusen compared with your Kokutaku ? I am thinking of getting one myself.
flatulenzio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulenzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2008 at 6:55am
Her's my JUIC Jupitor!

Thickness 9mm
Width: 131mm
Length (w/out cork): 140mm
Weight: 93gms

PLease ignore the Rest of the edge tape and glue...
(I don't know much about Hinoki 1-plies! What do you think about the grain???)

rpbnakata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpbnakata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2008 at 7:43am

This is my Darker Speed 70:

Then I decided to play shakehands and got this one:

Phenom st/BW3/Ω3Euro ● Photino st/Ω4Pro/R7S ● Speed 90 fl/Vega Euro/S3
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2009 at 11:50pm

My latest 1 ply "Hinoki" blade, TBS's headsize, Nittaku Septear ST sized handle. Just finished fine-tuning/sanding off all the sharp edges.

charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2009 at 9:46am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic