FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Blade Materials Properties

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade Materials Properties
    Posted: 10/14/2007 at 3:33pm
I was wondering if there are any gurus out there who can give a definative explanation of materials, usage, properties etc. for blades:

eg: what are the materials made from, where are they made or harvested, what are their properties, what other materials go well with them, etc...

I know this could be an exhaustive thread so I was hoping to cover just the basics and if there are any good links for other sites covering this it would be appreciated. 

Wood:
Hinoki
Kiso
Limba
Balsa
Ayous
Basswood
Obeche
Spruce
Mahogany
Anigre
Abachi
Walnut
Cork
Bamboo
Maple
Koto

Manmade:
Carbon
Arylate
Carbon-Arylate
Glass Fiber
Titanium
Texalium
Zylon
Tamca-ULC Carbon

Technologies:
Tube
WRB
Shellshock System
IB Tech
Super Core

Please add what I have not mentioned, I would like to put together a FAQ which details this.

1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
Sponsored Links

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2007 at 4:19pm
Could be very interesting, I do hope some of the well informed EJ:s decide to help you out on this one.
The holy grail
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2007 at 5:25pm
   Teaxalium is a PIMPED glass fiber
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2007 at 5:28pm
aramid
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2007 at 6:36pm

Here is a little offering, it is as accurate as I could make it without a lot of work.  Maybe others can add info or help with corrections.

Kiso is considered the premium type of Hinoki. These woods are favored for the feeling of softness and (relative) control combined with speed.  Prized especially for one ply Jpen blades, and also used as the outer ply of the classic Butfy Tamca 5000 carbon blades.  Becoming more popular recently and being used by many blade manufactures.

Spruce from a cold climate has some properties similar to hinoki, but is harder and faster, less control, used for the outer plies of the Schlager carbon.

Obeche and Abachi are the same wood, different spelling.  Abachi is the harder version of balsa.  Offers the much control for a blade and so often used to help tame a powerful blade construction.

Koto wood makes a harder and stiffer blade, very much appreciated by older male players, and those players who like to both loop and counter.

Limba is used to help give a blade a softer feel.

Ayous is a hard wood which adds accurate power, and touch.

Anigre adds control.

Maple offers control and moderate speed and a somewhat different feel when compared to other woods which offer similar performance.

Basswood good touch, high control, low power.

Walnut and Mahogany, not real certain about these, but I am guessing good for top spin play, classic euro style.

Cork helps add a little flex to an otherwise stiff blade, i.e., mid-distance kick.

Bamboo medium speed good for the top spin game.

YEO

Boost TP
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2007 at 10:17pm
That is awesome!
It seems strange that there is no web site out there with all of this knowledge in one place. I wish there was.

It is also weird that there isn't a dynamic website that has review that you can cross compare. i.e. compare glued feel rubbers with all the specs right there...or all wood blade comparison/ arylate comparison

there outta be a  site like that where ppl could also vote/give comments.

tabletennis.gr is pretty good, but I would like to see a site take it to the next level...shame paddle palace doesn;t have that.

thanks for your input!!!
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2007 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Teaxalium is a PIMPED glass fiber
as in like "pimp" my ride? LOL
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2007 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

That is awesome!
It seems strange that there is no web site out there with all of this knowledge in one place. I wish there was.

It is also weird that there isn't a dynamic website that has review that you can cross compare. i.e. compare glued feel rubbers with all the specs right there...or all wood blade comparison/ arylate comparison

there outta be a  site like that where ppl could also vote/give comments.

tabletennis.gr is pretty good, but I would like to see a site take it to the next level...shame paddle palace doesn;t have that.

thanks for your input!!!

You're welcome.

Butterfly sometimes puts info about blade construction in their catalog, you might watch as new ones come out, it has been a few years since they did so, and they might be due to include it again soon.
YEO

Boost TP
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2007 at 1:48pm
willow very soft very good controlSmileis there anything softer,c`mon ej`s i needs to know
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2007 at 1:57pm
don't forget kiri grass wood harder version of balsa very light.good as center
ply also known as empress tree very fast growing tree.also paduk  hard wood with speed but also nice feeling used on timo boll tri carbon and juniper wood i believe to be similar ro hinoki wood and also some specialty
cedars.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2007 at 2:54pm
edit

pwrlooper18 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrlooper18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2007 at 8:33pm
carbon is really fast...duh...makes blade hard to control due to less dwell time
Blade: Stiga Clipper Wood(84g)
Forehand Rubber: Hurricane 3- provincial verson
Backhand Rubber: Hurricane 3

It is better to play your opponent's weaknesses than to play your strengths...
fishu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2007 at 12:53am
quite complex and difficult! but I like this topic.
we need several experts!
bandrex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bandrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2007 at 9:54am
Basically woods also devided into 2 type, hard and soft. Woods that have hard characteristic usually
have unstable form, they tend to bend or crack more easily than soft woods. Layers of woods in ping pong blade actually has more stable form characteristic and they are easier to make rather than one piece solid wood ping pong blade. If you notice, layers in table tennis blade always in odd numbers, because thats the way the manufacturer do the veneers.  For one piece blade, one should choose a certain part of timber (is hard to explain without drawing). Otherwise no matter how good you kiln the wood, it will keep on bending.

For carbon itself, the advantanges are, light, firm and stable. adding those man made material gives you extra feeling on blades that I actually dont have to explain.

Well, the information I give you might be a bit  off the topic, but it will help you to choose which type of blade worth the money in term of difficulties on making it.

This is also why the reasons low quality chinese blade are cheaps because they dont condition the wood properly, their surface not flat (you check it on the top of a flat glass surface).

PS: too much material combination in layers also produce unstable surface, because different materials shrink and expand differently given the same room temperature
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic