FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

JUIC Shenron review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JUIC Shenron review
    Posted: 11/04/2007 at 12:56am
This is about JUIC Shenron rubber...

Let me begin with a more or less exact copy of what I have posted recently on OneOfAKindTrading forum - I am sure there are people on this forum who would like to know what this rubber is...

Message 1
-------------------------------------------

have just equipped my extra paddle with Juic Shenron on BH so here's my first impression:

1) Bought Shenron Black 2.0 for my BH side. Used EE I for 48 hours (not extremely generously but enough as a tiny bit of it was still on the surface at the end of 2 days). Then put it on using regular glue as suggested by JUIC

2) Surface is not as tacky as DHS H3 I have used before but comparable to Btfy Sriver FX

3) To produce more spin (as with H3) you need to apply more wrist motion but again at least as good as SFX

4) Much better in control than H3 - had almost no problems with short slices, pushes and even a few chops

5) When attacking from BH has a bit less traction than H3 but once you adjust your aim it feels quite fine, definitely better than SFX

6) mid-distance game is pretty good; blocks are as good as before - no complaints there - again, this is just a first impression, and I am not yet used to this new setup.

All in all looks to me so far like a good compromise between control-oriented SFX and spin-speed oriented H3. If you are an all-out offensive player who almost never wants to push or slice, go with H3/H2. If you are an all-round player attacking only ever so often, then use SFX or similar. As for me, I try to attack and block but once in a while I have to wait for the other player to make a mistake or even switch to defense when forced to do so - in this case you need good control which is especially important when your blade is fast and not very high on control.

I will be able to say more in a couple of weeks, I hope.

Message 2

I did not hear any considerable changes in sound from my previous setups but then again... as long as the other qualities are nice I do not care that much for the sound per se. As for the feel, it's too soon to say. I hope to play again today and then on Friday and I will know more.

Weight is reasonable - definitely lighter than DHS Hurricane 3 I had before that. Notice also that I used 2.0, not MAX

Message 3

Now the sound is coming in - certainly much more "twack" when you hit the ball. However, the same could be said about FH - so it must be both rubbers settling down after a few days...

All in all, it's shaping up quite nicely - attack from the left becomes more consistent but that's probably more due to the fact that I am starting to get used to the new rubber so I learn what and how...

Spin on BH has improved as well, but suprisingly control is still the same so my short game didn't suffer. Sometimes a short push goes astray but that's just cause my motions still come from playing with Btfy AG with SriverFX for so long (that is a highly controlling ALL+ blade with two nice high-control rubbers).

More improvement and reporting will follow, I hope.

Message 4

Man, I like this rubber better and better. It's "settled down" a bit on the blade and i played it more by now.

Since all this stuff (reviews) and likes/dislikes is highly subjective and dependent on the style, i should stop for a second here and describe my game in general terms:

I am much more stable on my BH than on FH - I would say that I use BH side twice as much as FH. When I attack from right, then occasionally I even miss the ball entirely which is something that never happens to me on BH. I guess I am OK on the right but that's not the side that wins me most of the points.

Therefore I need a lot of control on the BH - Shenron provides that, no doubt, practically as good as my old trusty Sriver FX; i can even chop with it if necessary.

What is more important, when I attack from the left - and my favorite style there is a very fast and low attack when opponent gives me a chance by sending a relatively flat ball - then Shenron is by far the best rubber I ever had. It is fast, it provides spin (not tons of it but quite enough) and it handles the ball very confidently.

Now blocking - superb! Once you get to know it and adjust your angle accordingly (just a little) it blocks extremely well. What I especially like is that if necessary you can execute a fast and very low block; but regular blocks in midair can be done just fine too.

Same can be said about looping from mid-distance. The only thing which I, myself, am not totally comfortable with is a medium or high-throw loop from close to the table - but that is usually my fault, as I often do not have enough time to properly judge the opponent's spin and adjust the angle of the motion accordingly... got room to grow there.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

TTReactor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTReactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2007 at 9:11am
I like this review
Exclusive Table Tennis Gear & Official Distributor
http://www.TTReactor.homestead.com
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2007 at 3:21pm
Thanks, man. I was trying to put some "feeling" into it...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2007 at 5:30pm
Here is installment # 5:

I don't know if this the rubber settling down more and more or I was just a bit under the weather, but this time I was doing much worse...

It seems at times that Shenron is not very much into spinning, but then again I missed my BH attacks all the time as well so it must be me...

I will post more after I go to practice on Friday.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, did anybody have the following speed-gluing experience:

- Laid down 2 layers of Tibhar Rapid Clean DeLuxe (rubber has been glued before); waited 2 hours each time.
- Doming is pretty good, although not extreme which is fine with me
- Surface is sticky, looks good to me
- Put thin layer on the blade (6 hrs wait; began that process before did the rubbers)
- Then finally I am putting the rubber on and then using a rolling pin to flatten it and push out air pockets etc. Then put it under press and waited about 30 mins

Result: noticeable bumps on the surface of the topsheet, surface is not strictly horizontal at all.

Pulled the rubber off and tried to flatten it more effectively but as a result it refused to stick on one side; so I had to put it under some VERY VERY heavy press... presumably glue is running out of stickyness already !?

Looks as if I made some obvious mistakes but how do I avoid them the next time, that is the $64,000 question... (in this case, $40 question)

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2007 at 8:45pm
The rubber is not really ready to use untill after 12h after to finish gluing.... by this time the uneven surface is usually gone...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2007 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

The rubber is not really ready to use untill after 12h after to finish gluing.... by this time the uneven surface is usually gone...

You mean I should have kept it under pressure for about 12 hours, right?

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2007 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

You mean I should have kept it under pressure for about 12 hours, right?

Haggisv, you were right - the bumps settled down somewhat and it looks more or less nice.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2007 at 7:11am
Yep, well done!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2007 at 1:53pm
TBS rules!

It is considerably better in balance than Stiga Opt Plus, plus the overall feel is nicer.

When time comes to reglue my DHS Hurricane 3 I plan to switch it with Shenron, and put H3 on SOP. For now I need some practice with current setup before  tournament on Nov 18 ... otherwise I cannot expect any good and consistent game from myself there...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2007 at 11:58pm
As I said I had to stop playing with Shenron for now because I need to practice with my current favorite setup (see my paddle #1) for the upcoming tournament. Then in a week or two I will have to take the rubbers off and put them back on - that's when I plan on putting Shenron on my TBS and I will continue the review if anybody is still interested. Thanks!

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2007 at 12:19pm
Well, I put my Shenron on XS and so far I cannot say anything good about this combination - where H3 on TBS works just fine with BH pushes and light looping, with XS-Shenron I end up sending almost all the balls into the net. I will have more after next practice...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2007 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Well, I put my Shenron on XS and so far I cannot say anything good about this combination - where H3 on TBS works just fine with BH pushes and light looping, with XS-Shenron I end up sending almost all the balls into the net. I will have more after next practice...

OK, it's time to quote myself and to say I was wrong. It turns out that I simply needed some extra time to let the rubbers settle in... or let myself to get used to the new blade, I guess.

XS is extra fine blade, and Shenron on it feels definitely no worse than on my original Stiga Optimum Plus. Looping and pushes are back to normal. I can say that control in the short game is better on my BH (Shenron) than on my FH (Tibhar Rapid).

Shenron is not for chopping or defensive play but if you are forced into it, it can perform confidently. As for blocking and BH hitting thru the ball, it works fine again - I had to make some small adjustments switching to Stradivarius but that's always the case with a new blade (see my comments on Xiom Stradivarius thread).

Anyway, there is probably not much to add except for the following: if you bought and glued Shenron and it didn't play that well in the first hour, be patient and give it a few more days, it might just become much better after you spend some time with it.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2007 at 6:15pm
Thanks JimT, very nice summary!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2007 at 6:20pm

Thanks JimT, very nice summary!

Thanks. It didn't seem to be a popular thread - my guess is that not a lot of people are using Shenron... a pity. I bet that there are thousands of people out there who are playing, say, Bryce without using its power to the fullest (not because they don't know how - they simply can't). At the same time these people cannot hit through the ball or control it in the short game as consistently as I think they could with properly primed Shenron.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2007 at 9:11pm

Yes I doubt many have even heard of it...JUIC is just not that well known. They have great products, but don't seem to market that much outside japan, and don't have many distributors....

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2007 at 10:54pm
Juic is right up there as far as my favorite euro/jap rubber brand.  Probably cause the 999 series has a tiny bit of a Chinese twist to their rubbers which I appreciate. 
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
korearulz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korearulz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2007 at 5:21am
i like it alot. compare to H3
Official XIOM Distributor of New Zealand & Australia
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2007 at 3:52pm
Well, let's see... (I am talking about BH side only here)

H3 is sticky, Shenron is not.

H3 has a bit more control I think - but that sometimes depends on your blade.

Shenron is somewhat better in hitting thru the ball when you get a relatively flat ball on your BH and attack not with a topspin but with a slapping hit from the left (smth I do often)

H3 is a little better in hi-arc or mid-speed looping... Shenron sometimes requires more wrist action, not to mention better technique, but if you got it then there is not much difference. However, in mid-distance/long strong looping from BH Hurricane is better as it grips the ball somewhat stronger

However, Shenron is a little better when chopping/defending from afar...

H3 is way less expensive than Shenron (like $15 against $40)

You have to apply EE or EE 2 to Shenron but then you do not need regluing; with H3 you do not have to speed-glue but for some people it helps, since it softens the relatively harder sponge of H3 - for me that's bad since I need the hit-thru qualities of the rubber more than I need spin (not to mention that you lose a bit of control with speed glue)

Hope that helps...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2008 at 11:03am
A little addition about Shenron.

I put it recently on a new blade - V-6 from 729 (Friendship) - and it still plays quite good (no speed-gluing or CTE involved, presumably that is not needed).

On a softer offensive blade (V-6) I should say that Shenron plays even better in looping and in control when placing the balls where you want them.

I haven't tried it yet in attacks. Blocking is good but since the blade is different, some little adjustment is necessary. However, short game and occasional defensive game have improved.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2008 at 6:32pm
I decided to update this thread - just for the general info. Shenron is being used by me since the end of November and it still plays the same (I only used it half the time on various blades but lately it confidently sits on BH of my current favorite Friendship V-6 and is getting a lot of play).

The folks from Juic apparently didn't fib when they said you only need one good application of EE2. I do not see any conceivable difference in the behavior after almost 4 months of use - I haven't applied any boosters or speed-glue to Shenron since the original EE2 treatment.

Since it is a mechanical spin rubber, it is to be expected that it keeps its qualities longer than tacky, grippy-spin rubbers like Hurricanes or Fasters etc. Speed is still there, as well.

As for longevity, it doesn't show any signs of getting worse... there might be some regular wear and tear going underneath the surface but I do not feel it yet.

I would estimate that by now I have played with this rubber approximately about 25-30 hours, maybe more. Very reliable, very confident rubber for my backhand.

dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2008 at 6:37pm
any chips or cracks on the topsheet jimt??
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2008 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

any chips or cracks on the topsheet jimt??

I am happy to report - none whatsoever!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic