Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can anyone identify this old Stiga blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can anyone identify this old Stiga blade?
    Posted: 12/16/2007 at 3:30pm
I got this old Stiga allround wood blade from my father in the late '70s or early '80s, played with it for a while, and now my daughter is training with it.  It's very comfortable and versatile.  I am posting some pictures of it here to see if anyone can shed some more light on it (e.g., what model was it?).  I think it used to have a sticker on the handle that has long worn off.   It has the Stiga symbol at the bottom of the handle, and says allround wood on the throat just below the rubber line.

Thanks.

Blade: Stiga Allround Classic
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 2.0
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425 2.0

Sponsored Links

thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 5:00pm
Ask Pllsystem. He would know.
jeannn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeannn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 5:26pm
the name of the blade is Stiga 2000
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 5:43pm
it says allround wood
so my geuss would be its an allround classic
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 6:24pm
It's a Stiga Allround wood with a solid wood anatomical handle, fitted with Yasaka Mark V rubbers

This is the original version of the Stiga Allround, produced between 1967 to 1976 if memory serves me right.

They had solid wood handles with no insert on the handle. Yes there probably would have been a sticker on the handle.

The current Stiga handle shapes came later and the blade name was changed from Stiga Allround wood to the Stiga Allround Classic, by which it is known to this present day.

It teams up well with classic rubbers like Mark V, Sriver L and a multitude of other rubbers.

It's a collector's piece you've got and my advice is keep it in the family. Hopefully your daughter will pass it onto your grandchildren in time..
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 5:16am
This is the first anatomic handled Stiga named "Stiga 2000". This racket is made with nailed handle without the text "alllround wood" from the very late 60' to 1973 and with "allround wood" text + serial nr wihout nailes in the handle from 1973 to the early 80's. If I read well it is numbered B42 that means ~1975. It has really comfortable anatomic handle unlike Ulf Tickan Carlsson that fits rather small palm.

Unfortunatelly you will get haircrack soon in the neck. I suggest use lacquere or epoxy to avoid moisture that can soak into the wood core that can worsen the situation. (I play with an old Alser '69 with haircracks in the neck but I keep my eye on and guarded it so it haven't widened)
we make real professional handmade table tennis blades - ospblades.com
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 6:33am
I agree with PLLsystem about looking for hairline cracks in the neck, around where the words "wood" and "allround" are written, as a lot of old Stiga allround's have suffered from that problem.

It is one of the thinner blades on the market and therefore less robust if you accidentally hit the table when playing close to it.

A friend who plays close to the table left his old Stiga 2000; serial no. C17 with me and it has a hairline crack around where it says wood. It has been stabilised with epoxy, but I don't use.

p.s. My blade of choice back in the late 70's was a Stiga Offensive Wood, with a Hans Alser handle.

PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 6:49am
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 6:55am
That's the model I had.

A Stiga Offensive wood with Mark V rubbers, it was a very good bat. That's what i learnt to play with.

Excellent for looping from mid distance and smashing.

One bat I have in my TT bag that reminds me of the Offensive Wood with mark V, is a Butterfly Petr Korbel with Max Sriver EL.

PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 7:12am
Good combination. (On the racket on my site there is Yasaka Cobra Ultra with pink sponge.)
My oppinion is that these old Stigas has very good vibration and feeling an lacks of speed but very springy instead. So using hard or semi hard rubbers MAX or something high tensioned can result a unique power+feeling combination.
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 7:14am
Ah...yes older Petr Korbel reminds me old Stigas as well.. with the metal butterfly logo is it?
Trebor Renkluaf View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trebor Renkluaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 12:59pm
Hoa,
Why not show the blade to Stellan?  If anybody knows old Stiga wood it would be Stellan!  Also Borko knows knows the old blades as well.
Bob

Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha
FH: Rapid 2.0
BH: Rapid 2.0

Blade: Stiga Hans Alser - 1983
FH: Yasaka Mark V Max
BH: Yasaka Mark V Max
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by PLLsystem PLLsystem wrote:

Ah...yes older Petr Korbel reminds me old Stigas as well.. with the metal butterfly logo is it?
What do u actually mean by ur statement re: older PKorbel w/metal bty logo compare w/ these old stigas?

I remember my "late" Stiga Allround wood - An. (broke @ the neck!) I played wif was just my all time favourite, it was the "Ulf Tickan Carlsson" wif Sriver L/Tackiness D, not particularly fast but the nicest combo for me for the longest time.
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 6:02pm
The older Korbels are made of the same lamina construction 5.4~5.6mm (limba-limba-samba-limba-limba) as old Stigas. Then they made it thicker. Than comes the plastic butterfly
Wfalicoff View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wfalicoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2008 at 3:05am
I have one of these blades in excellent condition.  I originally bought it around 1975 in the UK.  I actually got it back just about a week ago when I friend handed me a box of blades left over from when I sold ASTI in 1999.  In the box was my old Stiga blade I hadn't seen for years.  I used it for comparison with some of the ASTI blades we designed and tested from 1993 to 1999.  I also gave away two old Stiga blades to CW Smith in 1993.  These were bought a few years earlier than te 2000.  They cost a bit more than the Stiga 2000 blade.  The label on the 2000 is coming off but you can still see the 2 and 0.  There are no hairline cracks that I can see.  However, I did reinforce the blade at the neck with epoxy some time ago.  Perhaps this helped prevent the crack from occurring.

I can't quite make out the first letter on the serial number but it may be a B.  In which case it would read B25.  

Currently I have around 80 blades.  Most of them are ASTI blades and are one-of-a-kind.  I also have some old Butterfly and Donic Blades.  Finally I have two really old single ply Hinoki blades that my friend used to play with.  These are modified penhold blades. They are really fast. 

I plan to find good homes for some of these blades as having 80 blades is really too much. 
paul70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2010 at 12:24pm
hi there, im not sure if your still interested in a hans alser stiga markV, but if you are i believe i have 1 in stiga markV case, in very very good condition, let me know if your interested, i can  get the kids to sort pics if needed
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2010 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

p.s. My blade of choice back in the late 70's was a Stiga Offensive Wood, with a Hans Alser handle.

Thumbs UpThumbs Up
Thumbs Up
prott.co.uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prott.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 6:44pm
Hi, I have similar one to this one but with differen handle, it's in ST handle and serial number is B19. It doesn't have a hairline crack. Can someone (PLL systems maybe) tell me:

a)age
b)approximate value

Thanks,
D

Edited by prott.co.uk - 03/16/2011 at 6:54pm
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 7:21pm
B means mid or late 70's
On the pic it is a Kjell Johansson after the nailed handle era and before the bulbed era
If it has ST handle it means it is a Bengtsson.
Value depends on thickness, weight, headsize. 80 to 130 USD
prott.co.uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prott.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 8:18pm
Thanks a lot for taking time and giving me a value, weight is 87g, thickness looks like 5mm and 150x156 i don't know if that's good or bad.

Hadle is not exactly straight it's a bit wider at the base(few mm) does it make any difference( I would call it 95% straight and 5% conical)?

Edited by prott.co.uk - 03/16/2011 at 8:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic