Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cutting rubbers....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shiningkeedoong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiningkeedoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cutting rubbers....
    Posted: 12/31/2007 at 10:51am
Hey all,
just happened to come across this forum.

I just started assembling the rubbers on my own (before I had them assembled when they were bought together with the blade). 

But any tips on how to make a clean cut??  It's so difficult for me !  the arrangement of the pips makes it almost impossible to cut it round.

Oh, and another thing.  As ghetto as this sounds, I was wondering if anyone ever cuts the handle of a shakehand to make it shorter (for a penhold). My friend recently gave me his shakehand blade, but since i'm a penhold player...

cheers ~
Sponsored Links

BAND!T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAND!T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 11:33am
http://www.colestt.com/howto.php

watch the videos too :D
and as for cutting ur handle.. im cutting up a handle. actually im making an entirely new one for v-grip. :D but it shouldn't be a bad thing, and i dont believe it would effect the blade face.LOL
Gave up on V-Grip, SH smoother
Nittaku Noveliar [9 plies of powerthirst infused layers]
FH: BLACK Xiom Omega II Asian
BH: RED Stiga Boost TC
mafia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 11:38am

I have seen in butterfly catalog picture of step by step on how to cut the rubber into Jpen blade.

I am not sure if you have access to that catalog or not, you can use that as reference
Maze ST
FH/BH : Palio Era 42.5 Max
asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 11:41am

use scissors

but make them wet when you cut them

asr1990
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 11:43am
i use a grinder ;p
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 11:46am
The best two tips I can offer (thanks to Tom at Zeropong for these) is to keep your scissors wet (like with windex) and to take lots of tiny cuts with your scissors wide open, down in the fulcrum of the scissors where the power is.  If you try to make long cuts and follow the curve of the blade you're screwed, although this seems like it should be the best way.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
shiningkeedoong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiningkeedoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 12:05pm
i like that. thanks for the tip ~
gurovski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gurovski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 12:12pm
it is easier when you use grinder
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 12:15pm
You can also buy an inexpensive cutting board (there are even specialized sets for rubber cutting which can be easily rotated). I use an exacto-knife when I am doing that for myself and I want my paddle to look pretty - you simply make much more precise cuts with E-knife: the trick is not to try and cut thru the entire rubber at once, this is just impossible. Make a 1-2 inch long incision following the curve of the blade, then follow-thru by repeating that incision 3-4 times along the same groove. Then repeat that for the next 1-2 inches of the blade contour. Works really good - and don't forget to replace the E-knife's blade once in a while (not too often, I am sure).
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 12:18pm
Another thing - if you use scissors: try to make sure that they are sharp and short... my experience shows that the longer the scissors' blades are the worse they are for rubber cutting.

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 12:59pm
I normally mark the rubber with a marker pen, and then cut it with a sharp knife before gluing. I can't cut it successfully after putting the rubber on the blade.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

The best two tips I can offer (thanks to Tom at Zeropong for these) is to keep your scissors wet (like with windex) and to take lots of tiny cuts with your scissors wide open, down in the fulcrum of the scissors where the power is.  If you try to make long cuts and follow the curve of the blade you're screwed, although this seems like it should be the best way.

You make it look so easy Cole, doing it in the dark in your video is just showing off though.
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 6:03pm
A brand new single edge razor blade and a plastic cutting board works beautifully and with reasonable pressure will cut the sponge, rubber and protective sheet in a single pass.
seahorse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seahorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 7:32pm
Hi shiningkeedoong

Watch this video by 7homuz

ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 9:15pm
When you use an X-Acto knife, I recommend holding the knife at a low angle (as horizontal as you can). This prevents ripping the sponge.

Plus definitely replace the blade every once in a while. And use soap water to lubricate it between cuts.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
tomkat22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomkat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2008 at 12:28am

Isn't a C-pen handle is about an inch shorter than a shakehands blade handle? Would be best to saw it off with a fine-tooth saw,like a hacksaw,then smooth it with sandpaper. A bench grinder would take forever to remove that much wood. 

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2008 at 1:08am
I am the self-proclaimed Xacto Knife King!
I am right handed.
I start at the left lower corner and with even pressure and the slightly angled I go around the blade, pressing against the edge with the side of the knife. I stop every inch to let the rubber rebound, but I am careful NOT to lift the knife. Then I continue until I go around the entire perimeter. I do this about three-four times. Do NOT try to cut through on one go. Oh . . . I also found that removing the protective plastic cover helps get a cleaner cut for some reason.
:-).
Happy New Year!
Happy Cutting!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2008 at 1:33am
Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

When you use an X-Acto knife, I recommend holding the knife at a low angle (as horizontal as you can). This prevents ripping the sponge.

Plus definitely replace the blade every once in a while. And use soap water to lubricate it between cuts.

Lubrication certainly helps. Also, i just bought a pair of really short scissors for $5 at local CVS - if you moisten them with Windex, they cut the rubber really good. The only problem arises at the start, when you have to cut against the wings - they get in the way... maybe it is true, one should cut before putting the rubber on the blade but then there are two problems

a) nothing to cut against, the sheet of rubber flaps helplessly in your hand with no support

b) using marker pen is kinda too final.. once you marked the rubber you cannot erase that line, also markers are rather finicky and are liable to jerk a little bit when you draw lines on the rubber surface...

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2008 at 2:00am
Don't cut directly into a cutting board, cut into a smooth piece of cardboard layed over the cutting board. I replace my blade after each combo (2 sheets and a glue sheet or two).

Jim's right about the angle but make sure you're not too far horizontal as to scrape the handle of the Xacto into the outer edge of the blade.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2008 at 3:13am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

... maybe it is true, one should cut before putting the rubber on the blade but then there are two problems

a) nothing to cut against, the sheet of rubber flaps helplessly in your hand with no support

b) using marker pen is kinda too final.. once you marked the rubber you cannot erase that line, also markers are rather finicky and are liable to jerk a little bit when you draw lines on the rubber surface...

Another problem is putting the cut rubber onto the blade perfectly. It's hard to line up the edges.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
mqr 116 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mqr 116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2008 at 9:42am

Similar to tommyzai's style, i use a sharp cutter and apply light pressure as i make a first continuous, slow pass at the entire circumference of the blade, but not exactly outlining the rubber on the edge of the blade; meaning, i give a little allowance for the rubber to protrude. Then i repeat the procedure with added pressure for about 3-4 times, until the residual rubber separates by itself.

But i cut my inverted rubbers, especially built-in speed glue rubbers (like F1, Plasma 470, etc..), only after at least 6 hours, or overnight at best, from gluing on the blade. My experience with built-in speed glue rubbers is that they continuously shrink for a couple more days from cutting, and a small new rubber on a blade is such an unpleasant and disappointing sight. So i provide allowance in glue drying and cutting. When the shrinkage halts after a few days, i sandpaper the protruding rubber for full measure, and get quite a neatly fitted inverted.

I, however, don't exert the same patience when putting on new long pimples rubbers. They don't seem to shrink, so i cut them to exact fit just a few minutes after gluing them on. 

Just my 2 cents worth experience and input. Smile      
Timo Boll Tricarbon [ST]
Bryce Speed
Globe 979
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2008 at 6:14pm
If you use a plastic cutting board and press the single edge blade firmly down you can get a perfect cut clean through on the first pass.   Sometimes I even move the paddle and hold the razor blade still once the corner of the razor has sunk itself into the cutting board a bit.

Razor blades are far sharper than Exacto blades.  Razor blades make cleaner cuts.
PingPangQiu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2008 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by seahorse seahorse wrote:

Hi shiningkeedoong

Watch this video by 7homuz

very nicely cut
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2008 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by JRSDallas JRSDallas wrote:

If you use a plastic cutting board and press the single edge blade firmly down you can get a perfect cut clean through on the first pass.   Sometimes I even move the paddle and hold the razor blade still once the corner of the razor has sunk itself into the cutting board a bit.

Razor blades are far sharper than Exacto blades.  Razor blades make cleaner cuts.

That is true but what do you use to hold them - are you just holding the naked blade in your fingers?

PingPangQiu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2008 at 6:59pm
razor blades? arent they short?
tomkat22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomkat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2008 at 8:04pm

Single-edge razor blades, 4.95 for pak of 100 at Home Depot. They have a thick,dull metal "strip" on the back edge so you dont cut yourself.

Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2008 at 12:23pm
When refering to "razor blades" are you talking about the utility knife blades?

The knife 7homuz used in his video seems to work great.  Anyone knows where to get such a knife?
Jepoyako View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jepoyako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2008 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Flicker Flicker wrote:

When refering to "razor blades" are you talking about the utility knife blades?

The knife 7homuz used in his video seems to work great.  Anyone knows where to get such a knife?

I've seen similar knifes at Wal-mart...

< id="jajah">span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }
I like Twinkies!
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2008 at 10:27pm
I use utility blades (trapezoid shaped).  The rectangular blades feel thin and flex when I cut rubbers.  Box cutter blades are thicker and don't feel like you're about to bend or break them in half.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic