Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sanwei T-0191A (Carbon King) blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sanwei T-0191A (Carbon King) blade
    Posted: 01/05/2008 at 10:54pm
I got this blade almost accidentally - saw the description on eBay and decided to ask about it. It's on sale at www.tabletennisonly.com - a very decent small TT webstore with great customer service. I have bought my Hurricane 3 Provincials from them and those are great rubbers! So the owner agreed to sell his own slightly used blade to me, promising to take it back (minus S&H) if I didn't like it. This was a great offer, and I have quickly accepted.

First I put on it a thin layer of wipe-on Minwax polyurethane... probably should have laid a thicker one... this one doesn't seem to be doing anything at all... hopefully it will at least protect the outer layers from splintering.

Anyway, this is an unusual blade. Despite it having 9 (nine!) layers of carbon, it has a noticeable amount of vibration, so it takes some getting used to. Weird... also its handle is hollow like some of the Stiga blades (WRB? ...perhaps...)

On the other hand, once you spend the first 20 minutes with it, you can see the advantages. It is very good when playing a topspin game or blocking your opponent's fast attacking shots... At first you feel as if blocks are rather muffled (H3s are pretty thick and tacky, and vibration helps to create the dull feeling) but as soon as you readjust your motion slightly that ceases to be a problem... and I am sure one needs at least about 10-20 minutes to get used to any new blade, right?

I put both of my H3 Provincials (CTE-treated, second time) on it and the result is a rather heavy combo (my shoulder is still hurting... but that's also a result of me being unaccustomed to heavy blades; blade - about 95 g, and H3 are heavy rubbers by themselves) which is however really good against defenders and/or pips-out players. Reasons: you can spin almost everything from anywhere due to high spin qualities of H3-P and weight/speed of the blade; it also blocks and hits-thru very successfully. Against a no-spin ball it plays perfectly well, and can hit easily.

Fast attack from close or mid-distance is very effective. Blocking is fast and you often stop the other guy's balls with almost zero effort. Short game feels fine, with very decent degree of control. Looping is superb, both short and long.

If it weren't for my hurting shoulder I would have used this blade for the rest of the practice (as it went I only played 1.5 hrs with it and then switched back to my Galaxy T-4 with Srivers - oh! how easy it was to lift T-4 after Sanwei !). I am not sure if the pain was result of vibration or of the overall weight of the combo or simply of my inexperience with heavier blades... I suspect it's the vibration which I stopped noticing after the first 20-30 minutes but it surely must have taken its toll.

I am keeping the blade for now as I want to do more exploration. There are some players to whom I usually lose using my usual setup so I want to try Sanwei and see if it helps.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2008 at 5:46am
That racquet must weigh about 200g total.  I can see why your arm hurts, and you might want to think about a lighter rubber for the backhand if you want to stick with this blade.  If you play with the heavy setup for a couple weeks or so and you don't experience pain anymore, great, but if the pain persists, that is a good sign to go lighter or risk injury.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2008 at 8:59am
Originally posted by mdjenders mdjenders wrote:

That racquet must weigh about 200g total.  I can see why your arm hurts, and you might want to think about a lighter rubber for the backhand if you want to stick with this blade.  If you play with the heavy setup for a couple weeks or so and you don't experience pain anymore, great, but if the pain persists, that is a good sign to go lighter or risk injury.

Actually, the overall weight is just about 10-12 g above my Galaxy T-4 setup but the balance is different and mostly, I think, it's vibration which I am unaccustomed to. I am going to seal it some more and then I will wait until the January tournaments are over to resume my experimentations.

The lighter rubber would be good but I really really love how the Provincials spin and attack... after all they are supposed to be only 1-2 g heavier than Srivers when cut and glued.

McGuiggan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McGuiggan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2008 at 10:12am
I had A sanwei 'C-4' that i got in beijing with 2 friendship faster rubber on it, no feeling at all, although it was an off blade it was so slow compared to my tbs
Timo Boll Spirit
Bryce Speed 2.1 FH
Bryce Spee FX 2.1 BH
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2008 at 10:27am
Oh, this thing (T-1091A) is fast, no doubts about it. Another player at the club played with it against me at the practice for about 10 minutes and he had no complaints... the balance, I guess, is about the same as for Stiga Offensive Oversize WRB - it's somewhat head-heavy to begin with and when you put two H3-Provs on it that only adds to the balance shift...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2008 at 11:40am
I decided that the balance and weight were wrong for me - after the third practice I again crawled back home nursing my hurting shoulder. I like the blade but it doesn't like me back that much. I also tried to seal it in hopes that the vibration will go down and it did... slightly... but it's still there.

Unless you dip it into the polyureathane (like some people do... no kidding) and leave it there for 24 hours, the stiffness probably won't be complete.

Carbon in this blade (there are 9 layers) is quite properly described as "soft". It is fast and at the same time you can feel this is not standard stiff carbon - for hitting and looping it worked extremely well, and at the same time control was very good and you could even chop quite confidently with it which was definitely helped by 95 g of the blade's weight and extra weight of my Hurricane 3 Provincials on both sides.

Anyway, I had to return it to the previous owner - if you decide that this might be a blade for you, check it out at http://www.tabletennisonly.com

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2008 at 5:14am

If you haven't returned already, you may want to try this.

add a weight on the lowermost point in the handle. you can either attach a blob of puttybelow the handle or nail or ducktape some weight.
[i usually put wood cement inside the hollow handle from bottom]

now play with it. try a few different weights .. increasing gradually.

if it still pains, return it.. if not, let me know :)
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2008 at 10:57am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

If you haven't returned already, you may want to try this.

add a weight on the lowermost point in the handle. you can either attach a blob of puttybelow the handle or nail or ducktape some weight.
[i usually put wood cement inside the hollow handle from bottom]

now play with it. try a few different weights .. increasing gradually.

if it still pains, return it.. if not, let me know :)

Oh, I've returned the blade a long time ago. Thanks for the tip - but for me the main overriding problem was the vibration. Just too much...

Despite the fact that it played very good and I was able to defeat some of the guys I had problem with before, my shoulder hurt like hell for 2-3 days every time I played.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic