Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

upgrading from LKT Instinct

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cdtrix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdtrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: upgrading from LKT Instinct
    Posted: 01/31/2008 at 2:28am
I'm looking to upgrade from my LKT Instinct. I had Cream on MRS black and 729 super FX on Red

I've used a butterfly yuki-FL with sriver FX on both sides
Hinoki dynasty + super FX and god favored

I like the Yuki-FL but it's a tad expensive

Any recommendations for a recreational player thinking of joining local tournaments?
Sponsored Links

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2008 at 2:37am
What don't you like about the instinct?  Let us know how you play, how you would like to play, and what kind of blade characteristics you prefer.
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2008 at 2:52am
Instinct+
you get more + :P
Potato Face
cdtrix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdtrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2008 at 4:26am
the instinct is good but it's a little too light. that and my handle cracked so i have to get a new one :(
the + adds a little bit of weight hrm...

i'm a beginning looper with a strong forehand loop and defend backhand.

I would like something with the same feel as the instinct but a bit more solid. i like getting feed back and dislike solid feeling blades. the hinoki dynasty made me get lazy since it's composite it was fast but made me shorten my stroke.
kircher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kircher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2008 at 11:59am
i just upgraded from the instinct+ a month ago and had similar concerns.  mostly i wanted more of the same strong features (soft forehand for powerful loops and stiff but controlled on backhand) and no  loss of speed.  i decided on the avalox p500 and was not disappointed.  it is definitely spinny on the forehand and has great GREAT control for my backhand. im not sure why the backhand is still fast and yet has better control...same rubbers but they do more for me on this blade than on the instinct+. 
i tried the dynasty wood before i went with the p500 and found i did not like how my strokes were progressing with it and could not pull off certain maneuvers on the back hand (chop, backhand smash, flips...) .
if you are interested in their pricerange i think you would appreciate the avalox blade, hope this review helps.
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2011 at 11:48pm
you could get faster rubbers like outlaw if you really need a faster setup!
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 12:12am
Dont think speed=better, and dont trust company ratings for one second. Also be mindful of hard on soft or soft on hard combinations of rubber and wood, that matters a lot more than people realize.

The best regular player at my club usually uses the fastest blade Donic makes with fast rubber, but he just switched or "downgraded" to a much slower blade and he destroyed me today the worst I've lost since the first day I came to the club because he wasnt making any errors. Later that day he beat Dan Seemiller Jr. who stopped by, and he's rated like 2080 and he's an aging player who's rating is a couple years old and he beat an almost 2200 guy who regularly plays in tournaments probably because he downgraded the speed of his racket and played touch over power.
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 12:17am
yeah good point jonan! if you want some control then go with a primorac with original sriver! a classic setup.
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 12:25am
FYI from the glance I'm pretty sure Seemiller Jr uses Korbel blade with I think Bryce and Butterfly Super Anti. I am sure he doesn't use tenergy or any other new butterfly rubber with the new large logo.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 1:11am
Originally posted by cdtrix cdtrix wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade from my LKT Instinct. I had Cream on MRS black and 729 super FX on Red

Any recommendations for a recreational player thinking of joining local tournaments?

I really like my Instinct.  I've tried perhaps ten other blades, most lots more expensive, and I keep coming back to my Instinct (5-ply, not the +).  I not only like the way it plays, but I like the price and that it doesn't cost much to have a spare or two hangin' around.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

FYI from the glance I'm pretty sure Seemiller Jr uses Korbel blade with I think Bryce and Butterfly Super Anti. I am sure he doesn't use tenergy or any other new butterfly rubber with the new large logo.

I spoke to him today. He is using the korbel blade with tenergy 05 and super anti.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 2:35am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I spoke to him today. He is using the korbel blade with tenergy 05 and super anti.

Huh, I must know you then...or maybe you are just friends with him.  Shocked

I thought it had the older emblem, maybe he was using a backup, it had a little chunk missing I think, or maybe I just need to get my eyes checked.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 10:23am
You guys do know that the origianal poster asked this question 3.5 years ago....yes?  Wink

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

You guys do know that the origianal poster asked this question 3.5 years ago....yes?  Wink

Geeezzz.  I hate it when that happens. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 12:46pm

Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Huh, I must know you then...or maybe you are just friends with him.  Shocked

I thought it had the older emblem, maybe he was using a backup, it had a little chunk missing I think, or maybe I just need to get my eyes checked.

I probably don't know you. I've never met him in person. I'm just friends with him on facebook because a coach I had for one day is friends with his father. We were having a conversation and I asked him what he was using.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

AWW! GAHD DANG NECROS, RESURECTIN MAH THREADS!
friendship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 4:33pm

Edited by friendship - 08/21/2011 at 4:33pm
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2011 at 10:35am
Both me and my training partner used LKT Instinct about a year ago with the express purpose of learning the basic strokes. Now that we've developed a feel for shots and more consistency we've moved towards faster snappier blades.

I've moved to the Galaxy W6 - which is pretty similar to the Instinct. It's still very very easy to loop with, is excellent at pushing but has a little more kick to it. The blade balance is a bit different though, it feels like the weight is more balanced towards the head of the racquet. It produces a more stable , stronger stroke but makes wrist-snapping during the serve more difficult.

My friend moved to the Matrix and he seems to like it very much. He describes it as a faster version of the Instinct.

If you're looking for rubber recommendations than I'd say that Dawei Inspirits are fantastic for developing strokes and are decent in a game setting.
IQULs are also great and are pretty much a slightly faster , lighter version of the Inspirits.
IQUL and Inspirits are soft, grippy rubbers that are initially lightly tacky.
The response of the rubber is very linear.

On a different note: Thors are awesome. It took a while to learn the rubber, but my god - the amount of spin I can generate far exceeds what was possible on Inspirits.
Thors are a much harder rubber (though not as hard as H3s), the top sheet is medium tacky but I'd say it has a small amount of grip to it as well.
The response of the rubber is exponential. Pushes can be kept low and controlled but when you really open up the ball explodes off the rubber.
I honestly love them, such a huge number of gears on this rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic