Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paraffin tuning : MEGATHREAD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
Obachecka View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obachecka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paraffin tuning : MEGATHREAD
    Posted: 02/15/2008 at 9:41am
Hello

I want to open a new topic about tuning rubbers with paraffin ,which is also very cheap.

Can you speakk/read german ? Here are many infos about paraffin tuning (>20 pages) : http://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=51899

If you can't read or understand german i will summarize the infos for you or maybe it would be better if someone who speaks a better english summarizes it.

Some first Infos :

-it is definitely legal (vapor pressure of some paraffin oils is under 0,03mbar )
-it lasts  with a great effect up to 8-9 (some say up to 14 days) days
-parraffin is also contained in "Stiga Extreme Booster"

Greetings from germany

Kevin
Please advise me of each of my mistakes here, that will surely improve my english skills. Thanks ;-)
Sponsored Links

pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 10:06am
If I can remove all the old glue from one of my cut sheets I will try it tonight.  I just love new experiments! Smile
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Obachecka Obachecka wrote:

Hello

I want to open a new topic about tuning rubbers with paraffin ,which is also very cheap.

Can you speakk/read german ? Here are many infos about paraffin tuning (>20 pages) : http://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=51899

If you can't read or understand german i will summarize the infos for you or maybe it would be better if someone who speaks a better english summarizes it.

Some first Infos :

-it is definitely legal (vapor pressure of some paraffin oils is under 0,03mbar )

Greetings from germany

Kevin

is it true that most water based tuners are pure parrafine. Guys for prove look here

the ingredients of nittaku speed axel which is the same water based tuner as stiga extreme booster
swissping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 11:41am
As far as I know there is a other tread here with a link to Borko & Son. They tune the rubbers with petroleum, which is very similar to praraffin oil.

Greetings Roger
VH:Samba Joola
BH:Armstrong Rosin
Blade: TRinnova Sonar Blade
---------------------
www.trinnova-blades.com / Handmade Blades
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

Originally posted by Obachecka Obachecka wrote:

Hello

Some first Infos :

Greetings from germany

Kevin

is it true that most water based tuners are pure parrafine. Guys for prove look here

the ingredients of nittaku speed axel which is the same water based tuner as stiga extreme booster
swissping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 11:46am
@ skyline: The Tuners are not water based, only several of the new voc-free glues.

All the new tuners are based on "parrafin oil" The Tuners from Stiga and Nittakku are exactly the same product. CTE is also based on paraffin oil.

Greetings Roger
---------------------
swissping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 11:49am
@ Obachecka: The vapor pressure limit for the tuners and the glues is not 0,03 mbar it is 0,3 mbar
---------------------
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 11:51am
Originally posted by swissping swissping wrote:

@ skyline: The Tuners are not water based, only several of the new voc-free glues.

All the new tuners are based on "parrafin oil" The Tuners from Stiga and Nittakku are exactly the same product. CTE is also based on paraffin oil.

Greetings Roger

sorry I meant voc free tuners.
Obachecka View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obachecka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 5:19pm
@ roger :

Yeah thanks, you're right. i'm silly Big%20smile

But , so what ? Parraffine is still legal Clap
Please advise me of each of my mistakes here, that will surely improve my english skills. Thanks ;-)
swissping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 5:45pm
@ Obachecka: As long as the vapor pressure is under 0,3 mbar, it is legal.
---------------------
Obachecka View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obachecka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 5:50pm
@ Roger :

That's what I say....

@ All :

So, what do you  think of that ?

Greetings
ksu06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksu06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 6:08pm
I think I heard somewhere that paraffin is the same as kerosene.  Is this true?

If so, I hear you can get it for like $3-$4 a gallon, which is a huge improvement over $40 for a few hundred ml of cte.
Offensive CR
FH: H3 (2.2)
BH: V-Stage (2.0)
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 6:44pm
Paraffin is a different name for kerosene. It is called this in the UK and a few other places around the world.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 11:29pm
Just for grins, I tuned a Sheet of Venus and a Sheet of 802-40 with Coleman fuel today. Two coats on the sponge and one on the top sheet. Yea, that is the fuel for camp stoves.
      The Venus topsheet is softer and much spinnier than new. Both picked up about 10% in speed. Don't know how long it will last but the sponges and topsheets reacted like "Right now". The 802-40 is on max sponge and so is the Venus.
     Don't know if it is leagle and don't care. Having fun experimenting. They both click loud and the spin off the Venus is huge.Smile
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2008 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by ksu06 ksu06 wrote:

I think I heard somewhere that paraffin is the same as kerosene.  Is this true?

If so, I hear you can get it for like $3-$4 a gallon, which is a huge improvement over $40 for a few hundred ml of cte.

Originally posted by Juan King Carlo Juan King Carlo wrote:

Paraffin is a different name for kerosene. It is called this in the UK and a few other places around the world.

it's not quite the same in the US.  Lamp/paraffin oil is a slightly more distilled version of kerosene that burns cleaner.

F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 1:40am
OMG ! ITTF baned VOC glue in order to keep players away from nocive vapors, and now...look at that ! You put kerosene on your rubbers. For working in an airport, I can tell you kerosene isn't good for health. I wish Mr Shahara cannot read this or he will have a heart attack.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Mr. Cermet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Cermet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 5:40am
I tuned my Sriver L max with Paraffin (3 layers on the Sponge and 2 layers on the Topsheet) since 4 Weeks. The Effekt is equal to Speed Glue and the Effekt by Paraffin is continues for 2-3 Weeks.
Nittaku Septear Cpen

fh. BTY T05 2,1
RPB. BTY T64 2,1

My Videos!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/LeeJungWoo123456789
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Just for grins, I tuned a Sheet of Venus and a Sheet of 802-40 with Coleman fuel today. Two coats on the sponge and one on the top sheet. Yea, that is the fuel for camp stoves.
      The Venus topsheet is softer and much spinnier than new. Both picked up about 10% in speed. Don't know how long it will last but the sponges and topsheets reacted like "Right now". The 802-40 is on max sponge and so is the Venus.
     Don't know if it is leagle and don't care. Having fun experimenting. They both click loud and the spin off the Venus is huge.Smile

Coleman fuel is not pure parrafin oil, with naptha being another ingredient.  I looked at the MSDS for coleman fuel last night but don't remember the other ingredients off hand.  Some not legal from ITTF standpoint.  From a chemical standpoint coleman fuel should work very well for tuning .  The lasting effects would have to be experimented with..........gotta go now.  Tiki torch oil is a more refined parrafin, but that brand also puts in citronella scent to repel mosquitos..........may make it smell better when tuning......bye for now.
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 9:20am
Here's the link for Coleman Fuel MSDS:

Page 4 at the bottom states ingredients. Definitely NOT LEGAL Disapprove

Closest readily available Parrafin oil in US is Kerosene, lamp oil or outdoor torch oil.  Kerosene being the cheapest and lowest grade of the three.

pongcrazy
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 10:56am
Thanks PongcrazySmile
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 1:19pm

As far as I know there is a other tread here with a link to Borko & Son. They tune the rubbers with petroleum, which is very similar to praraffin oil.

Greetings Roger

the thread swissping is talking about is

swissping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 1:58pm
It is not the same kerosene like the kerosene for the planes! Paraffin oil is not bad for the health!

Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

OMG ! ITTF baned VOC glue in order to keep players away from nocive vapors, and now...look at that ! You put kerosene on your rubbers. For working in an airport, I can tell you kerosene isn't good for health. I wish Mr Shahara cannot read this or he will have a heart attack.
---------------------
swissping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 2:04pm
Yes, thats right!

Normaly, lamp oil or paraffin oil should be legal as long as the vapor pressure is unter 0,3 mbar.

CTE, Stiga Boster and Speedaxel from Nittakku are all around 95% of praffin oil.

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Greetings Roger

the thread swissping is talking about is

---------------------
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 3:53pm
hey, wehre do you guys buy this stuff? I looked in save-on-foods yesturday and they didnt have it. would they have it in shoppers drug mart or.....??? thanks...my CTE is running out and i dont really feel like dishing out so much $$ for some more=P thnx guys
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 5:00pm
If you are not entering anything where you might get your bat sniffed, try some barbeque lighting fluid. I am lead to believe it is pretty much the same stuff but some could have some extra nasties in them. They don't seem to like writing exactly what is in them on the side.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by 7homuz 7homuz wrote:

hey, wehre do you guys buy this stuff? I looked in save-on-foods yesturday and they didnt have it. would they have it in shoppers drug mart or.....??? thanks...my CTE is running out and i dont really feel like dishing out so much $$ for some more=P thnx guys

try a pharmacy
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

Originally posted by 7homuz 7homuz wrote:

try a pharmacy

www.borkoandson.com/lampoil  that oil can be purchased around $4 for 32 oz at one of those big stores that belong to a chain that does not care much about its employees and give them terrible work conditions.

pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 5:49pm
Here is the MSDS link for the brand and type Borko speaks of using in the posted link to his site.  From the vapor pressure and ingredients it does look perfectly legal as far as the ITTF goes.  This is the Ultra Pure, and it is different than the torch fuel and original lamp oil made by the same company, which may not pass enez due to higher vapor pressure.  I have some torch fuel so I will try that anyway to see what the results are this weekend.
http://www.lamplightfarms.com/pdf/msds_ultra_pure_lamp_oil.pdf

pongcrazy
LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 6:06pm
Does this have odour like eucalyptus?
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 6:34pm
http://images.acehardwareoutlet.com/Products/6072185.jpg

I find it at Ace. $50 for 4 gal or $12.50/gal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
  Share Topic