Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paraffin tuning : MEGATHREAD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232425
Author
yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2011 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Chris P. Bacon Chris P. Bacon wrote:

Dude! i mixed a bottle of RC(n-heptane) with lacquer thinner(toluene, acetone,methanol etc.) Goo off( Xylene, acetone) and Ronsonol lighter fuel(naptha) and lamp oil for tuning. I know its very ilegal and harmful but i hope it i'll be badass.

Good luck to you.
Do share your observation before and after the application of your new found formula.
Sponsored Links

d4ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2011 at 2:28pm
Hello, very informativ thread so far. I got a important question tho. I bought a H3 Neo Provincial and now I'm curious how to do the right tuning.

1. Its not clear to me how many layers I should put on the sponge
 2. how many (if any) on the top sheet.
 3. Should I use a mix of PO and baby oil or only one of both?
 4. Is it maybe better just buying real booster like speed alex or hai fu oil? which is the best for H3 Neos?

I hope this is not too much asked but I couldn't find clear answers in the thread and seems like this question is asked alot. greetings

Edited by d4ron - 08/29/2011 at 2:41pm
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2011 at 1:50am
i tried the 'real' answer for tuning, for it isnt for me.. trial and error is a way to find the 'clear' answer for yourself Thumbs Up
d4ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2011 at 8:30am
Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

i tried the 'real' answer for tuning, for it isnt for me.. trial and error is a way to find the 'clear' answer for yourself Thumbs Up

but trial and error can be a little bit expansive if i try it the wrong way and my rubber becomes unplayable :(
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2011 at 5:09pm
does anybody know if johnson's baby oil passes the "mini rae lite" test? (not to be confused with enez)
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Mahmood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahmood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2012 at 4:34am
Ok, I have alot of questions about tunning and boosting. Since I didnt wanna open another topic I came here and BAAAAAAAAAAAAM... 25 pages.

So here is a crazy idea;

Every important subject should be given a summery at the end of the 1st post under EDIT label, after some certain nubmer of pages or when the answer/review is clear.
For example:

01/01/2005   XY asked:    How to use Parraffin Oil
                                         (Contex/question)
                                         Members replying/fighting/changing subjects
                                    EDIT: The final conclusion on ''How to use Paraffin oil'' is as following:
                                             (Context).

Its more practical, and I think it reduces flooding with repeated topics.
Moderators can do this, if the memeber who started the topic is not in the mood.
Bty Zhang Jike (fl 85gm)

FH: 729 transced (red max)
BH: BlueFire M1 (black Max)
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2012 at 6:19am
It's a good idea, and I agree that it would be very useful...

However if you didn't feel like reading through 25 pages, what makes you think a moderator would feel like going through the whole thread, collecting all the information, and summarising it (which is probably 10x as much work)? Wink

Apart from this, you'll find there is NO single or best way to to do it... it depends very much on the rubber and the experience of the individual.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Mahmood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahmood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2012 at 7:07am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

It's a good idea, and I agree that it would be very useful...

However if you didn't feel like reading through 25 pages, what makes you think a moderator would feel like going through the whole thread, collecting all the information, and summarising it (which is probably 10x as much work)? Wink

Apart from this, you'll find there is NO single or best way to to do it... it depends very much on the rubber and the experience of the individual.

:))) hahaha...

I didnt mean the moderators HAVE to read everything and summerize...LOL, I meant if the moderator is reading and participating in the topic.
Sorry for not clearing that up (big problem with my wife).

About the particularity of each rubber in their response to boosters, I think it'd be good if the summery contains two parts;
A general part: (general facts and properties).
And a controvertial part: (particularity of each rubber according to experience).

One thing for sure... Mega Topics really do need summeries.
And I must stop thinking that people can read my mind!!!!!
Bty Zhang Jike (fl 85gm)

FH: 729 transced (red max)
BH: BlueFire M1 (black Max)
kajba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kajba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 4:08pm
IF you were going to tune a H3 Neo, do you need to remove the layer of glue which comes from the factory?
Primary blade:
Appelgren Allplat V2
FH: DHS H3 NAT
BH: Donic M2

BTY Viscaria
BH: Mark V
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 4:26pm
no; tune over it. wait a couple days for the dome to calm down. try first with no more than 2.5/3ml.
kajba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kajba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 4:49pm
I was thinking of using PO and BO so maybe 1 layer of PO and then 2 layers of BO?
Primary blade:
Appelgren Allplat V2
BH: Donic M2

BTY Viscaria
BH: Mark V
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2017 at 1:23pm
MAKING BOOSTERS IS A PROFITABLE BUSINESS.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crown-Kerosene-Gallon/51741742

Yes, it was recently confirmed by a Technical Universitete chemical lab that Falco Long boster (priced 40$ a small can) is mostly a kerosene stuff.
High-grade kerosene no smell, no soot when burning.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2017 at 1:25am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

MAKING BOOSTERS IS A PROFITABLE BUSINESS.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crown-Kerosene-Gallon/51741742

Yes, it was recently confirmed by a Technical Universitete chemical lab that Falco Long boster (priced 40$ a small can) is mostly a kerosene stuff.
High-grade kerosene no smell, no soot when burning.

Based on the differences in rubber performance comparing PO and Falco Long, I highly doubt this.  (PO is immediately faster, and wears off faster).

I will try burning some FTL though. 
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
4ugustu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4ugustu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 11:16am
kerosene = voc
4ugustu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4ugustu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2017 at 7:20am
Volatile organic compound = voc
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2017 at 10:47pm
"Does anyone know where to buy PO in Canada?  Only Home Hardware seems to have them, but it's not clear (green), and the clear ones say it's Kerosene base.  I searched the internet and found that some say Paraffin is the same as Kerosene, but other say it's not, and without knowing exactly what Paraffin looks\smells like, I am not sure if it's the same or not."

Im having the same issue. The clear bottles say its kerosene based. the colored ones say its paraffin based with citronella and other stuff. I looked for any that said "ultra pure lamp oil". None of them were labeled as such. I've been to three large hardware stores already. Ill continue searching, perhaps at camping stores.

However as I have been reading through the pages, it seems this procedure only gets the rubbers to play faster and there's very little improvement on spin potential. I am only interested in increasing the spin produced by the rubber. So maybe I should hold on for a bit and see more responses on this thread or perhaps check out other rubbers.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 12/29/2017 at 1:30am
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2017 at 1:01am
For more spin, you'd better treat rubber on its topsheet. PO is the worst booster ever. U should use odourless kerosene for sponge but it is still smelly.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
al_111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2017 at 2:23am
It can be bought at the church stores, at least Greek Catholic, at least in Ukraine and Russia
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2017 at 12:23pm
https://bizfluent.com/how-5727710-make-paraffin-oil.html

DIY.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2017 at 1:49pm
Dracula, is that you??!!?

FdT
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2018 at 4:30pm
i have 2 rubbers bluefire m2 and i put 2 layers of paraffin oil on the sponge of each rubber and i noticed there is a dome in the rubber 2 days ago.

my question is for how long will this dome continue ?
and did they need more layers of parafin or 2 layers of parafin are enough?
MJ SZLC ST

FH Hurricane 8 2.15m Black
BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

totti View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by manraid manraid wrote:

i have 2 rubbers bluefire m2 and i put 2 layers of paraffin oil on the sponge of each rubber and i noticed there is a dome in the rubber 2 days ago.

my question is for how long will this dome continue ?
and did they need more layers of parafin or 2 layers of parafin are enough?
i have the same problem as you
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2018 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Dracula, is that you??!!?

FdT
I am not a dyslexic vampire, so no, probably not me.Cool
totti View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2018 at 3:58pm
can anyone tell me please when these 2 rubbers return to their normal condition and the doom disappear?  N.B both rubbers are tuned with 2 layers of paraffin and one layer of baby johnson
totti View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2018 at 4:17pm
can anyone tell me please when these 2 rubbers return to their normal condition and the doom disappear? N.B both rubbers are tuned with 2 layers of paraffin and one layer of baby johnson
totti View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2018 at 4:20pm
can anyone tell me please when these 2 rubbers return to their normal condition and the doom disappear? N.B both rubbers are tuned with 2 layers of paraffin and one layer of baby johnsonEcan anyone tell me please when these 2 rubbers return to their normal condition and the doom disappear?  N.B both rubbers are tuned with 2 layers of paraffin and one layer of baby johnson [/QUOTE]

Edited by totti - 01/02/2018 at 4:21pm
Yakabito View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yakabito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2018 at 4:23am
I want to sum my tuning experience:

I already tune about 10 sheets of H3 neo with 40-41/2.15 properties.

What i found: 1) Tuning with only baby oil (aka Jonhson regular) just softens sponge, average player will not feel benefit from it ( i use 5 to 7 tea spoons of it and wipe with soft paper) - there is no dome and it should not be. If you have reverse dome ( which i have always then i remove non boosted rubber from racket) oil will flat it out.
2) Tuning with Kerosene was much interesting: a) First of all i use kerosene for lamps it has a little browny color and above average distictive smell ( so i dont think it pass any tests), around 5-6 tea spoons enough for average dome. In game i feel better spin and speed, easy to break sponge) but smell from kerosene on rubber will not fade out at all and i dont like it too much. b) I also try to mix this kerosene with medical parafin oil ( vaselin, dunno how it called in US, it used as lubricant) it dissolved well in small portions and cheap solution if you want to increase parafin volume in mixture. But i cant distinct value and effect from that also as if you mix kerosene with Johnson.
3) I was in search for much clear kerosene from this point and i found one wich called extra clear kerosene TS-1 (kerosene used for aircrafts engines) - It has much less smell (below average) i was in fear that it has low pressure and cant dome rubber. So i try it on H3 neo 41/2.15 which i used for 2 months, i remove old glue and tune with 3-5 tea spoons of new kerosene, first of all it eat it hungry and flat my reverse domed rubber. Then i check after 3-5 hours it finaly domed as it should be (sponge out) i was happy and put it on blade day later then dome calm down. Effect was similar to previous lamp kerosene, but this time rubber dont smell that much and i think thats good for regular use. Unfortunate i destroy that rubber on tournament in doubles then i slice it in partner racket =).  Then i try to tune simmilar rubber which was glued on spare racket for 6 months with Ts-1 kerosene effects was little bit different after 3 tea spoons i leave flattened rubber for a night but on next day it still reverse domed, today i add 3-4 spoons more and hope it will be enought. Also when i tune before last time i use air conditioner for warming room for several hours and i think hot airflow helps speed process.

To sum: 1) Only Johnson - just softens sponge, very little impact on game 2) Find clearest (least smellest kerosene to tune your rubber) 3) non flamable mixture - closer to just parafin in molecular structure, and will not widen your topsheet. 4) Old rubbers eats more booster and 3-4 tea spoons enought to start. Dont be in hurry and check progress after 3-5 hours to decide should you add more 2-3 for this day. If it dome sponge out - you done, just w8 until it calm down and then glue. 5) Boosted cut rubber wil become 0.5-0.7 mm wider on your blade (and mine will not shrink back after month) 6) adding other sources of parafin is not recomended as it bulk up your sponge in time, and kerosene already contain parafin substance itself. But i never boost more than 1 time per rubber so i didnt face that problem.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232425
  Share Topic