Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paraffin tuning : MEGATHREAD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 8:48pm
OK, here are some pics...

Left is IQ that has previously been treated with eucalyptus oil and had rubber cement on it already.

Right is 2008XP that hasn't been treated before and from which I had removed almost all the rubber cement (you can still see a few bits here and there).

Both were about 3-4 thick layers of PO brushed on.  This is about 24 hours later.

F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
Sponsored Links

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 8:51pm

Here is the bubbling problem with the 2008XP

F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 9:24pm
Looks like some oil got between sponge and topsheet and caused the topsheet to lift. After the effect wears off it should return to normal if you dont pick and mess with it, unless of course you really don't care.
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 10:18pm
Yeah, for this rubber I don't really care...but will leave it alone and see if it goes back down.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 12:35am
That better not do that with other rubbers..
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 12:47am
i had a hit with it today, i think i put too much on the topsheet so it didnt really have the 'classic h3 feel' that i like when driving. much better for opening loops though. the effect of the PO is good, but not AS good as CTE. it did soften the sponge more then CTE tho IMO
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 1:43am
As usual, there is lots of room for experimenting with something new.
     I put two layers on the sponge and one on the topsheet of an old worn out sheet of Nano Cannon. It had lost alot of it's grip. It now had better grip than new. The next day, I put another layer on the top without removing it. It is Way spinnier than new. The coleman oil softened the topsheet where it is almost tacky.
     Same thing happened with a well used sheet of Venus. I am going to keep treating the topsheet without removing them to see just how much effect it has.
     So far, it has not delaminated the top and sponge. I am hopeing the 100% lamp oil will work as well. Both picked up speed also. The Venus is almost as fast as Energy with just one treatment.
     Also did an 802-40. It picked up speed and spin. All of them have a pretty good click now. They are all max sponge. Smile
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 1:57am
@Hookshot

Thanks for sharing the info!
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 6:39am
Thanks GenomicsK,
     Even with all that has been written about vapor points and such, it still remains to be seen what will really pass the Enez. Untill then, it is fun playing with different things.
     For those of you that have not been in manufacturing, let me tell you, whatever they are using for tuners, I would be surprized if they pay over $2 a gallon in quantity. How many 250ml containers can you fill with a gallon? Good profit to say the least. I hope somebody comes up with a "Proven" legal tuner that everybody can obtain.
     The manufactures also watch the forums to find trends. No, they don't post. Smile
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 6:53am
Originally posted by LachlanTan LachlanTan wrote:

That better not do that with other rubbers..

It will do it with every rubber if you get it between the topsheet and sponge - it depends on how careful you are during application.
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 7:56am
yeah, I wasn't very careful with that rubber.  I pretty much was just slopping it on with a brush.  The IQ that had glue on it already doesn't have any problem.  I think the glue kept the PO from getting on the edge of the rubber.

It would probably be better to use something other than a regular brush to apply it.  Maybe I'll drop by the hardware store and get one of those sponge brushes.  Or maybe 7homuz has the right idea using a paper towel to apply it.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Thanks GenomicsK,
     Even with all that has been written about vapor points and such, it still remains to be seen what will really pass the Enez. Untill then, it is fun playing with different things.
     For those of you that have not been in manufacturing, let me tell you, whatever they are using for tuners, I would be surprized if they pay over $2 a gallon in quantity. How many 250ml containers can you fill with a gallon? Good profit to say the least. I hope somebody comes up with a "Proven" legal tuner that everybody can obtain.
     The manufactures also watch the forums to find trends. No, they don't post. Smile

Hookshot - Good to join you, GenomicsK, and others on this new experiment.  Certainly agree with you on the profit margin that companies like Tibhar is making on their tuner.  I myself couldn't resist and had forked out almost $50 for a small bottle of CTE and Clean Fix glue. :)  (Just had to try it you know. )  Like others, I am interested in reading more reviews/feedbacks on the results that PO tuning can yield.  I will make a trip to Walmart this afternoon to see if I can find some PO to try on some old rubbers myself.  If it works just as well or nearly as well as CTE that would be great.  But I agree more experiment is needed before we can reach that conclusion.
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 9:55am
Originally posted by 7homuz 7homuz wrote:

i had a hit with it today, i think i put too much on the topsheet so it didnt really have the 'classic h3 feel' that i like when driving. much better for opening loops though. the effect of the PO is good, but not AS good as CTE. it did soften the sponge more then CTE tho IMO
Hi 7homuz - Thanks for the feedbacks.  Have you played with CTE before?  I am going to try it (CTE) out in next week so I will get an idea then.  I will also try to experiment with PO to see what effects it has.  In the mean time, I am just wondering if you or others have had experience with both of these tuners and can provide a direct side-by-side comparison on the speed, spin, and sound effects.  That would be great.  Cheers!
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 3:35pm
I tried it today but it was a big dissapointment. I did 3 layers and there was a really big dome. But when I played with the rubber there was no speed and spin at all... It feels just dead!..  No click sound no speed it was a nightmare... Ruined my training session...
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 3:37pm

you need to wait atleast a day it takes a really long time to fully dry if you played with it wet, like even if the sponge looked dry if you lay it on something the oil would be all over it then of course it played bad

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 3:42pm
het ttman
you were fast to try it: did you buy the $4 32oz containter at Wal%$&#mart?
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 4:08pm
HimmmI waited for 5 hours and it looked  dry but you say so...
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by TSuBaSa TSuBaSa wrote:

I tried it today but it was a big dissapointment. I did 3 layers and there was a really big dome. But when I played with the rubber there was no speed and spin at all... It feels just dead!..  No click sound no speed it was a nightmare... Ruined my training session...

same problem here!
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

How many 250ml containers can you fill with a gallon?

A: 15.141647213845494957375335667133
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:14pm
so... if this is the same ingredient in CTE, why the conflicting results? i'm going to throw my hat into the ring, just got 2 gallons of tiki lamp oil myself (i know this isn't one of the legal alternatives, but it works -- theoretically -- the same way)

need MORE pics LOL

come on, this is a cheap experiment, need some more opinions...
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:16pm
so 250mL @ ~$30 X 15 / gallon = ~$450 gallon - ~$4 (actual cost) for...

roughly $445 dollar profit (before additives, labelling, shipping, marketing) PER GALLON, and they see most of that unless one of the additives is quite costly...
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:17pm
I think this is the reason clean tune comes in the container it does people are putting way to thick of layers on the rubber hence it never fully dries, the sponge aplicator is only applying 1-2ml's of this stuff at a time, using a normal tt speed glue brush ur getting atleast 5mls per layer
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:39pm
good point, perhaps rubbing it on with a paper towel is in fact the best way to mimic that..
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:41pm
or u could just use one of those $1 dawei or galaxy sponge wipes to apply
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:43pm
yeah, i'm saying as opposed to your standard brush.
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
swissping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:52pm
You have to wait t'ill the layers are completely dry! With a hair dryer you can accelerate the drying process and the speed glue effect is really great!

VH:Samba Joola
BH:Armstrong Rosin
Blade: TRinnova Sonar Blade
---------------------
www.trinnova-blades.com / Handmade Blades
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:56pm
Hi Swissping,,,
     I agree and I have been applying it with a paper towel as well.Smile
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 6:06pm
Ok then I'll get a sponge and try it again... Thanks guys...
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 8:22pm
k, i have 3 sheets i'm trying it on... 2 sheets of 729 Focus, and one sheet of (1.5mm) 729 Super FX.

All 3 are expanding nicely -- in addition, i'm applying small, steady layers of veggie oil on the black sheet of focus, which for some reason is quite slick. seems to be doing some good (also tried one small layer of my ingredient X -- Tiki Torch Oil -- on the topsheet, which seemed to clean it nicely).

as i said, the sponges are expanding nicely; quite expected on the focus sponges, which react quite well to glue; pleasantly surprised by the effect on my 1.5mm super FX (which started out around 44*):

- several degrees softer
- much rejuvenated topsheet, after just 1 veggie oil treatment
- went from sitting flat to perhaps a 4" dome
- i couldn't really get an effect with the speed glue i used previously, on this sponge i mean, so this is pretty good news

the effect was good enough for me to consider putting the FX on my brand new 729 bomb (have some HMO ox for blocking on the bh) instead of the focus that came on it (that i'm also treating atm). if the next few layers take as well as the first few, i think i probably will -- kind of scared to go into the club tomorrow (last time for a while -- Army calls) without a real tacky topsheet.
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2008 at 12:00am

Well, I experienced pretty much the same as TSuBaSa did.  I tuned a Yasaka New Era and a 729 Ligtening with 3 thick coats of paraffin.  Let them dry for about 8 hours.  This morning when I check on them they all rolled up severely like some taquitos.  I stuck them to a blade and put the whole thing in a press.  Another 8 hours later I took it out of the press and had a few hit with it.  No noticeable speed, spin gain.  No click sound at all.  3 minutes later into the session the edges started to curl up and eventual both rubbers just came separating out and flapping.  That's when I noticed the glue it's still wet!  I guess the paraffin is not completely dried yet.  Will continue to experiment and report later when I have something new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
  Share Topic