FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

1 ply Hinoki Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 11:35am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

My Darker Speed 90 J-pen are sealed from the factory. I bought twice and both are sealed, it can be seen clearly when I compare the it to the sides of the blade.
It is entirely different with Nittaku Cho Tokusen A and Kokutaku Cho Super, they are not sealed at all.

That's little odd, did you request blades to be sealed specifically, coz my darker that i got from iruiru wasn't sealed.
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 3:13pm
One of the main problems (especially for those new to this topic) with these officially manufactured 1-ply blades from Darker, JUIC, Butterfly, Tibhar that for almost none of them do we have some reliable ratings in speed/spin/control, even weight/thickness are not always available; and perhaps some other characteristics evaluated at some formal level, like softness, blocking, stiffness, type (ALL+, OFF-, OFF etc) etc.

That could (perhaps) help to choose between them and ascertain their standing as compared to the custom blades such as the ones produced by Borko, ryno and ahinoki among others...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

One of the main problems (especially for those new to this topic) with these officially manufactured 1-ply blades from Darker, JUIC, Butterfly, Tibhar that for almost none of them do we have some reliable ratings in speed/spin/control, even weight/thickness are not always available; and perhaps some other characteristics evaluated at some formal level, like softness, blocking, stiffness, type (ALL+, OFF-, OFF etc) etc.

That could (perhaps) help to choose between them and ascertain their standing as compared to the custom blades such as the ones produced by Borko, ryno and ahinoki among others...

Maybe that's because 1ply hinoki are not popular among shakehanders, unlike Jpen is a "must"?  Juic and Tibhar have only one model each, so there is no blades withing the brand to compared to.  While Darker info are so hard to find.  On the otherhand, 1ply might getting more popular now that BTY decided to come up with 3 new models at once after a long discontinue of the BTY cypress shake pro.  But it seems that BTY will not use the best grain they have for Shakehand yet.

We (1ply shake players in this forum) might move into a right new direction.  So grab your gears guys, before the hinoki ran out.... Wink
A Proud Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club

Speed90 Cpen: F3 Big Slam Max, Xtend 2.0 89/160 grams
H-1-9 FL: Impuls speed 2.0, QUAD420 Max 90/161 grams
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 3:39pm

juic,tibhar have official websites,you conslult their representatives directly,instead of trying to talk to some tt on-line stores.
whatever paddle palace info you can you use to roughly estimate what you r interested in
seasterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 3:45pm
I think prices will only increase on one-ply "hinoki" blades from the big manufacturers because there has already been talk about the age of the tree from which the wood was taken, rariety, and consistency from blade-to-blade, wood grain aesthetic differences instead of bottom-line performance differences, etc.  .  I think that unless the woods are all consistently dried and processed, there can be a big difference from sample to sample.  I have been working feverishly comparing many different wood types to my SC, and I'm also working on a drop test (about 16' worth of drop) to objectively compare blades for speed.  The nice thing I'm finding with many of the one-ply blades is that the control appears to be very high since the wood is just so thick.  Frankly, I'm a bit surprised why more one-ply blades are not more popular.  I think if someone tries one from a single company and they don't like it, then they tend to write off all one-ply blades forever.  This is their loss, IMO, esp. if their only goal is to dublicate the feel they have with their old multi-ply (or composite) blade and not really evaluate the blade's usefulness to their game.  Sometimes different is better and better for the player.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Wingman Wingman wrote:

Maybe that's because 1ply hinoki are not popular among shakehanders, unlike Jpen is a "must"?

You might be right... for a regular shakehand player 1-ply hinoki could be just too thick in terms of properly holding the blade, but for a J-pen guy that seems to be not a deterrent as they rarely have to pinch the blade itself between their fingers.

Also for a 5-ply or a 7-ply blade which is industrially manufactured it is much easier to achieve greater consistency as small deviations in wood quality cancel out each other (not to mention composite blades - carbon or aramid mesh is basically consistent almost be definition). Whereas for a 1-ply blade if you begin with an inferior piece of wood (blank) you might end up with a very crappy blade

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 3:58pm
Also, I have heard from more than one player that when they tried to play with 1-ply blades they felt that they didn't have enough skill to get all they could from the blade. They liked the feel, the blocking, the power but couldn't utilize all of it because they were still developing players.

So when you develop as a player that forces you to use composite or multi-ply blades, and you get accustomed to them. It takes some effort (and balls, too... Wink) to switch to the new style later.

Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 4:15pm
Agreed.  Took my friend almost 1 month to play 1ply comfortably when he changed from Clipper Cpen to Speed90 Cpen.  He is quite a fully develped player who looked for a change in his setup.  I told him about 1ply, he went back to check it on some kinda chinese forum and found out that there are so many possitive comments and that the blade from iruiru is a very good deal compared to the price in China.  At first he didn't like it much, but because of the high price he already paid, he had to continue using it.  I still get thanks from him for my recommendation because he is so happy about it now.

His setup is, Speed90 Cpen with Desto F1 max both sides... deadly combination.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 4:52pm
True that. Also it takes a lot of time to get back to another setup after playing with 1-ply. It almost makes sense to compare that to a drug addiction...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 11:07pm
Played Tanpan today. Almost no difference from my AW-8... just a few extra grams of weight, and smooth handle instead of cork... that's it. I think I'll pass, or better yet I'll order another one from http://www.americanhinoki.com but a bit stiffer and faster, so that I have a slightly different spare.

Then I switched to my 729 V-6 and this time the switch was almost painless. The only unusual thing was that I had completely new Dawei Inspirit Quattro on my FH and its slight catapult effect was throwing me off a little. But it's not as bad as with Torrent.

I again started thinking that selecting a blade sometimes really depends on who you play (provided of course that you can quickly switch to another blade without losing any of your preparedness). When I play guys who are allround or OFF- players then my V-6 is probably the best bet, when I play defenders then I'd rather use my fast and stiff T-4, and when I play OFF+ people then i think it's best to use my 1-ply AW-8...

This is probably for a different thread however - the main problem in playing 2-3 blades simultaneously at the tournament is that you either need ton of experience with each one, otherwise you are bound to waste a lot of time switching between them. Giving away the first game is almost a sure thing...

redbull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redbull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 9:18am
Thanks guys for such nice posts! I am definetely going to buy an one ply hinoki, it's just the fact that I won't have much free time until summer, because I have to prepare for the high school graduation exams..
Blade: Donic Waldner Dicon

dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 10:30am
cole just put up the top grade hinoki from Galaxy for $260 bucks, i THINK i'll pass on that. Nittaku just came up w/ new blades
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

cole just put up the top grade hinoki from Galaxy for $260 bucks, i THINK i'll pass on that. Nittaku just came up w/ new blades

yeah.. I saw that. That's a bit too much... but so tempting... oh wait, I just remembered I don't play J-pen. What a relief!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 7:30pm
but he's got the buttons for flare/straight o.O
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 1:08am
Originally posted by everest81 everest81 wrote:

Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

My Darker Speed 90 J-pen are sealed from the factory. I bought twice and both are sealed, it can be seen clearly when I compare the it to the sides of the blade.
It is entirely different with Nittaku Cho Tokusen A and Kokutaku Cho Super, they are not sealed at all.

That's little odd, did you request blades to be sealed specifically, coz my darker that i got from iruiru wasn't sealed.

Actually I didn't ask the blades to be sealed, but when I received it, I saw that the blade face is a bit shiny against light, and it is definitely different compared to the sides of the blade which is not shiny at all.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 11:04am
If they seal it then so much the better. But quite often they don't - and for one-plies it's definitely a must. I am surprised that manufacturers don't do that themselves - for the money they are charging that would be a very small thing to add...

sthokie View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sthokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 12:06pm
The Darker Speed-90 CPen I got from iruiru also came sealed.
Darker Speed 90 Jpen 9mm
w/Tenergy 25 1.9mm &
Tibhar Grass DTecs OX
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by sthokie sthokie wrote:

The Darker Speed-90 CPen I got from iruiru also came sealed.

and people say i got too many high end blades. This guy is nuts right here :D
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 12:20pm
yup, couple of nuts right here...LOL, at least one is cpen freak while other is jpen..
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 2:59pm
So, any reviews/impressions from that JUIC Kiso Hinoki 1-ply?

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by everest81 everest81 wrote:

yup, couple of nuts right here...LOL, at least one is cpen freak while other is jpen..
Yep..here too, this 1 is a lil SPECIAL, Jpen plus shkhnd n dare not wander into cpen scary territory..at least not yet...Big%20smile
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 5:06pm
at least jpen and SH are very accessible. It's impossible to find the cpens i want
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 6:47pm

at least jpen and SH are very accessible. It's impossible to find the cpens i want

Buy SH and cut down the handle Wink... also Galaxy, i am sure, gotta have cpens

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 7:06pm

Buy SH and cut down the handle Wink... also Galaxy, i am sure, gotta have cpens
this is what i call "Abuse of t/t gems" if dalam really wanna go ahead wif his quest of ultimate cpen n resorts to "cut down" a Acoustic ST or whatever to be a Acoustic Cpen...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 10:27pm
I'd rather just play the blade as cpen w/o cutting it off. If i think sanding the neck area too much is butchering the blade, then cutting down the handle is probably like....

can't describe it o.O
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
redbull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redbull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 6:01pm
So, wingman did you buy a speed90? If yes, please compare it to H-1-9.
Thanks
Blade: Donic Waldner Dicon

Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 6:30pm
Yeap... got the shake hand, very happy about it, but I didn't do anything with it yet, kinda busy with work.  After I got it assemble, I will try to do a precise review the best I can since my right hand cannot be fully active yet due to my injury.  I was very fustrate about it, so for the past few months I have been using my lefthand with Cpen, started from zero, learn from basic with the help of robot.  I am now able to play to the same level as my righthand about 1 year ago.  Really enjoy this style too.  So I decided to get Speed90 Cpen for my lefthand as well...LOL  Really sorry for the waiting, I have not forget, I would do it as soon as I am settle with the set up.

Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 6:49pm
However, if you really have to decide between Speed90 and H-1-9 now, that I can tell you right away, get Speed90 as it doesn't vibrate like H-1-9.

Holda has both Speed90 and Juic one-ply, from his comparison, (from my understanding) there is virtually no difference in perfromances.  I want to get Juic too but he just grab the lightest one from paddle palace Ouch (89grams?), so I rather wait with a risk of price increase, since I just ordered Cpen too...

holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 6:57pm
Big%20smile

However, if you really have to decide between Speed90 and H-1-9 now, that I can tell you right away, get Speed90 as it doesn't vibrate like H-1-9.

Holda has both Speed90 and Juic one-ply, from his comparison, (from my understanding) there is virtually no difference in perfromances.  I want to get Juic too but he just grab the lightest one from paddle palace Ouch (89grams?), so I rather wait with a risk of price increase, since I just ordered Cpen too...

Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile
juic is more a vibrating blade,but speed 90 is thicker,so vibro feel is not so pronounced.i want spee 90 in SH version,but i am now broke
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by holda holda wrote:

Big%20smile

Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile
juic is more a vibrating blade,but speed 90 is thicker,so vibro feel is not so pronounced.i want spee 90 in SH version,but i am now broke

Which Speed 90 you have now? Flared?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
  Share Topic