Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Galaxy De-1 Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hymm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hymm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Galaxy De-1 Review
    Posted: 03/26/2008 at 1:13am
Galaxy De-1 Review

I've used this blade for the past few months, after looking for a better flipping blade.  Using this blade with 2.2 mm Black Geospin Regular and 2.0 mm Donic F3 Big Slam.  I had a bit of an adjustment period just due to the fact that this blade is 1 mm thinner than my previous blade.  This is supposed to be a defenders blade, but I am not a defender.  The version I have could still be a prototype as there's no printing on the blade face, the handle still smells like pine and the handle isn't quite symmetrical.

Handle Type: Flared
Weight: 85 g
Thickness: 5.3 mm

Construction:  This blade has an unusual construction with three layers of carbon arylate and four layers of koto.  Handle shape is like Butterfly's though I don't like the feel quite as much.

General Impression:  What a strange blade.  Hard outer plies, but fairly flexible due the thinness and in spite of the arylate.  Pretty stiff on slow shots, but when swinging hard the blade flexes and gives extra dwell to control hitting and looping.  When hitting the sweet spot there is almost no vibration, but when off center the blade vibrates slightly.  Hitting with the blade gives a loud crack, which is sort of fun.  The sound makes me feel powerful.  Speed class of the blade is strait offensive. 

Looping:  Feels really good for looping on my backhand.  On the forehand, I'm still adjusting to the step up in speed, but there's plenty of dwell due to the flexibility.  I would consider this to be a high throw blade, might be higher than the Kong Linghui Special.  I suspect I would do better on the forehand if I was more of a mechanical looper.  I need to close the blade more than I'm comfortable with against the spinner topspin.

Hitting:  When hitting the blade in the sweet spot, this blade feels great.  It feels like I'm in complete control of where I want to place the ball.  The speed and hardness of the blade give plenty of speed to put away the point even on my 90% effort shots.  When hitting out of the sweet spot, especially towards the end of the blade, the ball seems to pick up some more speed and end up hitting the ball long.

Pushing:  Better than my Kong Linghui special, but not by much.  Still not bad for an offensive blade.

Flipping:  Feels pretty good.  Still developing my technique, so hard to be sure.

Blocking:  Great control when hitting in the sweet spot, but feels a bit weird when out of it.

Chopping:  I'm not really a chopper and my chopping technique is horrible.  That said, I can chop ok with it in the mid distance with the rubbers I'm using, but close to the table the rubbers I'm using are way too fast to land a chop against loop on the table.  Maybe with a long pips this would be possible, but I have a hard time imagining controlling close to the table chops with an offensive rubber.

Conclusions:  I'm still not sure what to think of this blade.  Really like it for my backhand side, but occasionally I'm having control problems on the forehand side due to the extra speed.  Great in the mid distance, but up close to the table I occasionally am surprised to see the ball go long.  I'm going to try this blade for a few more months to see if I adjust.  When I went back and tried my KLHS that blade felt slow and weird.  Almost like hitting the ball with a Styrofoam block.  I think due to the thinness, hardness, and flexibility, it makes other blades feel weird.
Galaxy De-1
FH: Black Geopspin 2.2
BH: Red F3 2.0
Training Diary: http://hymmtt.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 1:40am
thanks for the review!
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 2:56am
nice review!
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 4:09am

Sounds like a great blade.

The thickness to me sounds interesting at 5.3mm, and the weight is good. Not too light of a blade especially if long pips are used on the BH.

umm you said that

""Construction:  This blade has an unusual construction with three layers of carbon arylate and four layers of koto.  Handle shape is like Butterfly's though I don't like the feel quite as much.""

I thought that it just had Arylate and no carbon?

Anyway thanks again for the review

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 5:06am
I wonder if there is any chance Cole will get more of these in the future, possibly in a "finished" version.
hymm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hymm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 1:46pm
Ginko Tai Kim:

I thought that it just had Arylate and no carbon?

Actually I'm not sure.  The Arylate in it is a very dark blue and I think I see some black in there that would be carbon.  I'll look at it in the sun sometime.
Galaxy De-1
FH: Black Geopspin 2.2
BH: Red F3 2.0
Training Diary: http://hymmtt.blogspot.com
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 1:59pm
I do have them in stock. I don't expect them to "finish" the blade with paint though. Looking at the new LQ series, galaxy seems to be going with the natural wood look...kind of like darker. Personally I like that better but it's a matter of taste.

I was told the blade was just 3X arylate...nothing was said about carbon. But I can ask for sure.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic