FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Keyshot Light - a preliminary review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keyshot Light - a preliminary review
    Posted: 03/30/2008 at 10:49pm

While waiting for my ultimate blade to arrive, I bought Keyshot Light.  It is a 3 plies + 2 Arylate fibers blade from Butterfly.  It is supposed to replace the old but popular Keyshot.  I can't understand this because if it's popular (as BTY said), why don't they just continue producing it?  Instead they have to come up with something like the Light version.  BTY must have twisted the truth here, IMHO.

I only have the chance to play it once, so the review here is not comprehensive.

First, the weight.  It's 88/89 gr!!!  I thought they said that it's light!!!  (I expect below 85 gr when they said "light").  Bare blade felt balanced, so it's OK.  When put 2 rubbers on, it is a bit head heavy.  Korbel has better balance with 2 rubbers on it.

Second, the speed.  Butterfly is correct when stamping the sign "Medium Fast".  In a Japanese catalog, it is placed in the soft feel category and lower section of Medium Fast.  As a comparison, Korbel is placed in the medium feel category and mid section of Medium Fast.  When trying it the first time with Mark V unglued (I use these rubbers as a benchmark for testing all my blades, so that I have a base line to compare), it is in fact a bit slower than Korbel.  So I guess Butterfly put them correctly on the chart.  If you want to refer to the chart I mentioned, you can just go to www.butterflyaustralia.com.  It is in English, so easier for you.

Third, the feeling.  It feels soft but not too soft.  I will put it in the medium-soft category as compared to Korbel in the medium feel category.  Korbel indeed felt stiffer/harder.

How it plays (remember that I played with it only once for few hours):

Short game - OK, nothing to brag about.
Looping - Excellent.
Smashing - OK only.
Block - A bit lacking here, I guess it's because Arylate dampens the impact.  So you need more active blocking, as opposed to just place your stiff carbon blade and it bounces back instantly.

Other things???  Don't have the opinion yet.  The above impressions can also be changed if I play more with it.

FYI, this is my first Arylate blade that I purchased.  Once I tried Pro-Top (cheap/crappy chinese blade) Arylate but that is another story (can't be compared).

I posted this because I think the reviews for Keyshot Light are scarce, probably it's not popular.
Sponsored Links

dynamisoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamisoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2008 at 11:06pm
what a timely review.... I just ordered one and it should arrive beginning of next week.   I have  a schlager carbon as my first blade which is very fast/stiff.  and i wanted to try a blade that is softer with more control and something thats very good in the looping aspect.  So i decided to get keyshot light, which is supposed to be very good at looping with loads of spin. 

i see that you thought it was very good for looping so i guess i made a good choice. 

if there is anyone using this blade or have used, what r some good rubber with this blade????
YINHE V14 PRO
FH/BH YINHE MOON PRO
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2008 at 11:09pm
SC as a first blade o.O
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
dynamisoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamisoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2008 at 11:21pm
haha  .. i know... boy was i clueless...

well i first tried a 729 hao shuai carbon and it was good until i tried my friends mazunov which was heavier, and i loved it.  I just loved the heavy weight of the blade , and i thought i should buy something heavy.  so i chose to buy Schlager Carbon because to weight is up there,  without knowing that it will be very stiff, not much feeling, and little control.  But thats not to say i dont like the blade.  I have improved very much and, i went from worst to the best among my friends. 

anyway.. my game has improved and found i am more of a looper so i guess i'll try out the keyshot light.  hopefully this blade will suit me better and improve my game further.  if not my next blade to tryout is M.Maze. 
YINHE V14 PRO
FH/BH YINHE MOON PRO
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2008 at 11:23pm
at least u didn't put bryce on the SC, or you would have never hit the table.
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
dynamisoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamisoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2008 at 11:27pm
lol.. actually  that was my initial setup bryce/bryce FX. 
my short game was suffering,, so hence the sriver fx!!
YINHE V14 PRO
FH/BH YINHE MOON PRO
master-pong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote master-pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 6:06am
Originally posted by dynamisoz dynamisoz wrote:

haha  .. i know... boy was i clueless...

well i first tried a 729 hao shuai carbon and it was good until i tried my friends mazunov which was heavier, and i loved it.  I just loved the heavy weight of the blade , and i thought i should buy something heavy.  so i chose to buy Schlager Carbon because to weight is up there,  without knowing that it will be very stiff, not much feeling, and little control.  But thats not to say i dont like the blade.  I have improved very much and, i went from worst to the best among my friends. 

anyway.. my game has improved and found i am more of a looper so i guess i'll try out the keyshot light.  hopefully this blade will suit me better and improve my game further.  if not my next blade to tryout is M.Maze. 

I've owned both and really..the Hao Shuai blade is 10x better than the Keyshot Light. I'd get the M.Maze right a way and ditch the Keyshot Light.

I can agree with the biggest part of the review: It's heavier than advertised and not well balanced. Without glued rubbers it's not very fast and quite a lot slower than the Petr Korbel.
However the biggest drawback from this blade is the feel; there isn't any. I played with it for 3 hours and hated it, I traded it for a KLHS with a Brittish guy who then actually loved the Keyshot Light...I dunno why, let's just say everyone likes different blades with different feeling. I personally couldn't play with it though Smile.
2winged View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2winged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 10:35am
I'm playing with a Classic Keyshot ( Thanks to Holda Wink ) now and I like it better than the Timo Boll Spirit.  It feels quicker and better to me and I just felt more confidence with it.  I have 729-2 on the FH and BH for now but will replace them with Inspirit Quattro. 
If you have a chance or can get a hold of one, try the classic Keyshot. 
Blade: BTY Adolescen, Gergely 21
Rubber: Inspirit Quattro, Innova
hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 10:44am
I've used the keyshot light for a while now - it's got good speed, and is soft.  For looping, it's an awesome blade - for smashing, it's a little lacking - for blocking it's somewhat passive.  I made the mistake of pairing it up with Sriver FX, and it was TOO soft.  I changed to regular srivers and it works far better, it's still an excellent looping blade but the smash and block potential has increased dramatically.  i recommend with a harder rubber.

Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
dynamisoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamisoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 10:50am
Originally posted by hafawaz hafawaz wrote:

I've used the keyshot light for a while now - it's got good speed, and is soft.  For looping, it's an awesome blade - for smashing, it's a little lacking - for blocking it's somewhat passive.  I made the mistake of pairing it up with Sriver FX, and it was TOO soft.  I changed to regular srivers and it works far better, it's still an excellent looping blade but the smash and block potential has increased dramatically.  i recommend with a harder rubber.

can you please compare your keyshot and tbs.  what your likes/dislikes are?
because i was also thinking about M.Maze which somewhat similar to tbs.

YINHE V14 PRO
FH/BH YINHE MOON PRO
Ma Long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ma Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 12:06pm
I do not get it right here.  Do you mean You like the keyshot better than the Schlager? If so, do you want to trade for the keyshot?
Ma Long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ma Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 12:07pm
I also have the M. Maze blade? you want to trade?
dynamisoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamisoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Ma Long Ma Long wrote:

I also have the M. Maze blade? you want to trade?

i have not tried the keyshot light yet , i should get it tomorrow. i wanted to try the KL because i think it would improve my looping game.  as for the schlager, i dont know if i want to trade.  i would like to hold on to it.  I dont mind have a couple of blades for my arsenal.
YINHE V14 PRO
FH/BH YINHE MOON PRO
hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by dynamisoz dynamisoz wrote:

Originally posted by hafawaz hafawaz wrote:

can you please compare your keyshot and tbs.  what your likes/dislikes are?
because i was also thinking about M.Maze which somewhat similar to tbs.

The TBS is definitely faster and not as soft.  The TBS works great away from the table, the couter loop and counter hit is easy.  Definitely has more speed when it comes to smashes and not as passive as the KL in blocking.  

The KL is a nicer blade if you play a close to the table - flips and pushes seem easier to execute with this blade as are serve returns.  That's why it's my primary racket -I rarely move more than 5 feet away from the table and play a controlled offense game.  I think it has more feel than the TBS. 
Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
BrunodeDanann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrunodeDanann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 4:34pm
I haven't liked my keyshot at the beggining, but now with this choice of rubber it's way better.
i advice to play with some chinese rubbers
Harimoto ALC
HUrricane 3
Vega asia
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2008 at 7:58pm
I played again last night, still with the Mark V both sides.  I will stick with my preliminary review above, with little addition here:

Looping is excellent as I already said.  I said it again because I think this is the best feature of this blade.  I forgot to say, I loop mostly close and not too far away from the table.

Short game turns out to be excellent also.  I will rate it to be as good as Offensive Classic in the short game (which I rate a little better than Korbel for short game).  This includes better service return if you want to place it short.

For other aspects of the game, I still think as what I wrote previously.
dynamisoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamisoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2008 at 6:34pm
just got my Keyshot Light,,,, I need to seal the blade first..
Cant wait to test out my blade.  wonder what rubber would be better for this blade??   help me out guys.....I have Sriver FX/Bryce/Bryce FX/729 Focus I....
YINHE V14 PRO
FH/BH YINHE MOON PRO
dynamisoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamisoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2008 at 10:35pm
Just Played with my new Keyshot Light.  Man does this blade LOOP or what...
It just hugs the ball and spits it out with so much spin. .  It is definitely slower than my SC, especially on blocks.  But i would not say its a slow blade.
the more you spin the ball, the speed becomes tremendous.  forming the arch was very easy when you loop with this blade.  today i tried it with 729 Focus I, so it might have been tad slow.  Next time will try Bryce/BryceFX. 

YINHE V14 PRO
FH/BH YINHE MOON PRO
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2008 at 12:42am

Can't agree more with you.  I played again last night (3rd try) for few hours.  Man, this blade rocks for looping.  Still with Mark V on both sides unglued (I never took them off since first trying the blade).  I am thinking of using chinese rubbers to be more lethal on service but well, I don't really have time for experiment right now.

Regarding speed, I am not sure but I think it is now as fast as Korbel, if not slightly faster.  Passive blocking seems to be the weakest point but it's still acceptable. 

Dynamisoz, please try smashing hard with this blade and confirm if you feel that it does not transfer 100% of your power.  Last night, I played against a player that I have to beat by playing as a hitter and I found that few times when I smashed as hard as I could, the ball did not fly as fast as intended.  I thought that it might be due to the dampening effect of arylate, but I might be wrong on this.
dynamisoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamisoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2008 at 8:28pm
i played today for about an hour, this time with bryce and it was really nice.  especially in terms of speed. it was so much better blocking with this setup than focus I.

DORAEMON.....i know what you mean about not transfering all of the power when smashing....  I remember reading on a korean site where they did a really nice review on the keyshot light, it said that to try to give it some spin when smashing.
well i tried that today and it made my smashes  speedier/faster.

YINHE V14 PRO
FH/BH YINHE MOON PRO
BrunodeDanann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrunodeDanann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2008 at 11:27pm
yes the blocks are hard, it took me about two days of training to get used
Harimoto ALC
HUrricane 3
Vega asia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic