Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Sponge Hardness Of Tenergy...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
McGuiggan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McGuiggan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponge Hardness Of Tenergy...?
    Posted: 05/20/2008 at 10:54am
What would you say is the hardness of the tenergy sponge for those who have used it? I want to know if it is better for loop driving against underspin or just another fast soft sponged rubber. Can you give a comparison of it to the hardness of bryce speed?

Thanks,
 McGuiggan
Timo Boll Spirit
Bryce Speed 2.1 FH
Bryce Spee FX 2.1 BH
Sponsored Links

swissping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2008 at 12:00pm
Its a hard sponge, i would say 45�

Greetings

Roger
VH:Samba Joola
BH:Armstrong Rosin
Blade: TRinnova Sonar Blade
---------------------
www.trinnova-blades.com / Handmade Blades
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2008 at 1:30pm
36 according to Butterfly Online:

Tenergy 05      US  $64.99
    CAN   $  N/A

This is the first rubber to feature Butterfly�s new �Spring Sponge�. Spring Sponge feels hard yet its new technology allows it to hold the ball on the racket longer. Tenergy 05 combines this new explosive sponge with a new tensioned top-sheet with maximum surface grip. The result is a rubber that produces massive amounts of spin on serves and topspin drives. Tenergy is also the fastest most explosive rubber in our line all without the use of any speed-glues or tuning. Tenergy will keep its speed throughout the life of the rubber without need for any special treatments. Finally a rubber that will make you feel like you are playing in the days of the 38 mm ball again!

Video:Tenergy 05 Review

Speed: 13 Spin: 11.5
Density: 36 Reglue Effect: Medium
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2008 at 2:26pm
36 on the butterfly scale which according to some forum members translates to 46 from other makes.
McGuiggan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McGuiggan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2008 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

36 on the butterfly scale which according to some forum members translates to 46 from other makes.
i've no idea what 36 or 46 means, is the higher the number the harder the sponge?

Thanks,
 McGuiggan
Timo Boll Spirit
Bryce Speed 2.1 FH
Bryce Spee FX 2.1 BH
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2008 at 2:33pm
You got it!

For example, plasma series: 380 - 38 hardness, 430 - 43 hardness, 470 - 47 hardness.

There are some nice threads around where sponge hardness was measured with a durometer to get a true measurement of hardness, every company has their own scale.  Plasmas were "true to the numbers" as far as the name of the rubber goes.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2008 at 2:37pm
Bryce speed lists at 38 so Tenergy is apparently softer sponge-wise - don't know how the topsheets compare.
McGuiggan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McGuiggan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2008 at 2:40pm
Oh ok. so in terms of loop driving, bryce speed is probably better?
Timo Boll Spirit
Bryce Speed 2.1 FH
Bryce Spee FX 2.1 BH
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2008 at 2:52pm
Wish I could answer the question - haven't tried either rubber.  But I'm sure people who are trying tenergy now have some experience, we'll have an answer to this soon.  Tenergy seems quite different from bryce so even though the sponge is softer it might not mean it plays like a softer version of bryce.  There seems to be consensus that its slower than bryce speed though.
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2008 at 5:21pm

Chronos - I was just trying to be helpful.  I can't afford to play with such an expensive rubber like Tenergy so I would really have no true experience to speak from.  Cheers, pal. :)
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2008 at 6:18pm
There's a review of the Tenergy 05 on the Table Tennis Database:

Butterfly Tenergy 05 Reviews

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2008 at 7:31pm
Oh sorry Flicker I was adding to your response not correcting you or anything!  I was surprised when I learned about butterflys sponge hardness numbers (via durometer experiments in that other thread)
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2008 at 4:53am

You got it!

For example, plasma series: 380 - 38 hardness, 430 - 43 hardness, 470 - 47 hardness.

There are some nice threads around where sponge hardness was measured with a durometer to get a true measurement of hardness, every company has their own scale.  Plasmas were "true to the numbers" as far as the name of the rubber goes.

does that also mean that Andro Roxon 450 = 45 hardness and Roxon 500 = 50 hardness??
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
rpbnakata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpbnakata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2008 at 5:14am
I played both rubbers unglued. BS is more a speed-like rubber, good for kills, smashes and active blocks as well.
Tenergy is definately not for smashing game. It's a loop rubber. One of the best available. It's also easy to block and counter attack with Tenergy.
IMO it makes a perfect combination with 1-ply hinoki blades, making a loud click and good speed when looping. That's my combo.
Phenom st/BW3/Ω3Euro ● Photino st/Ω4Pro/R7S ● Speed 90 fl/Vega Euro/S3
McGuiggan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McGuiggan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2008 at 5:36am
Originally posted by rpbnakata rpbnakata wrote:

I played both rubbers unglued. BS is more a speed-like rubber, good for kills, smashes and active blocks as well.
Tenergy is definately not for smashing game. It's a loop rubber. One of the best available. It's also easy to block and counter attack with Tenergy.
IMO it makes a perfect combination with 1-ply hinoki blades, making a loud click and good speed when looping. That's my combo.
Its that sort of review that really does tempt me, thanks rpbnakata, any disadvantages with the rubber, can I loop drive underspin easy with it?
Timo Boll Spirit
Bryce Speed 2.1 FH
Bryce Spee FX 2.1 BH
rpbnakata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpbnakata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2008 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by McGuiggan McGuiggan wrote:

Its that sort of review that really does tempt me, thanks rpbnakata, any disadvantages with the rubber, can I loop drive underspin easy with it?
Yes, there are some downs, nothing is perfect.
The stroke you said is one of the negative points of Tenergy. I mean, it's not really negative but you have to change your motion. Tenergy is a very high throw rubber, so if you try to apply topspin in an undespin ball, you can't move the bat upwards like we're used to do with Sriver or Bryce. Balls go over the table. Tenergy requires a 45 degree stroke when we try to lift topspin.
Weight is another down side of Tenergy. The rubber is very heavy, almost a Hurricane-type.
And of course, $$$ BTY asks for its new baby.
Phenom st/BW3/Ω3Euro ● Photino st/Ω4Pro/R7S ● Speed 90 fl/Vega Euro/S3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic