FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

XIOM Ignito Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XIOM Ignito Review
    Posted: 05/23/2008 at 12:36pm
The Ignito is one of three of the Xiom's Novus Carbon series. The 5 ply blade is made of Kiso Hinoki - Energy Carbon - Kiri - Energy Carbon - Kiso Hinoki at 6.2-6.3mm thickness.

Here's an excerpt of the description of the new Energy Carbon material I got from Xiom:
"Energy Carbon of Ignito is new material. It looks like ordinary Carbon. But, it is softer than normal Carbon though it isn't classified as Soft Carbon. Many makers are selling Soft Carbon blades in which Carbon Fleece or Uniaxial Carbon is used. In general, Soft Carbon means uni-axial Carbon. Carbon fleece is another name of uni-axial Carbon. But, Energy Carbon isn't such material. We just made it softer and reduced the internal energy loss. Less energy loss means that more energy is transferred to ball at impact. So we named it as 'Energy' Carbon."

The made and finishing of the blade is superb and very smooth. The only flaw I see is the cut on the logo on the handle is not very straight, but it's a very minuscule overlook. If I were to rate it on the finishing/make of the blade, I would rate it at 99% (-1% for the finishing of the logo area). Now, if you look at the picture, there's a location on the head where the color of the grains/head are different. About  a little left from the middle part, going long from handle to the tip of the head, the small section's color is whiter/paler than the rest. Same place on the back side also, but smaller. I was going to deduct some points of these as well, but I'm not too sure because I don't know much about wood/wood grains. I don't know whether these are their natural condition, manufacturing mistake, or something else.

The head is about the average size, the size according to Xiom's specification are: 158x150.2 while the handle are 100x34x24 for the FL (which I have). First thing I noticed when holding it was how nice and comfortable it is on my hand. The handle is wide and thick enough, about as good as my Hurricane blades FL handles. It's certainly wider and thicker than the Korbel FL & Wavestone FL handles which I also have. The head is about the same as my Hurricanes & Korbel blades.

The weight quoted for me is 83.5g but when I weighed it using my dad's weight for his medicines, it weighed at 84g. Close enough to the quoted weight.

I've been playing with this blade for one week (four times at about 2-3 hours each time). The rubbers I put on the blade are: Hurricane 3 Provincial 39 degree and Sriver EL Maximum. The H3P felt medium hard on the blade while the EL felt soft (too soft for my liking). I played with this setup for 1 night. I then switched the EL with Prashida Tokyo 2 (which are a little bit harder than the EL � played with this setup for 3 nights). Tokyo 2 felt a little nicer, not as soft (but still feel a bit too soft). So I would think that a little harder rubber would do well on this blade. I might try it with Sriver L later on.

Okay, here's the very concise summary: After playing one week with Ignito, I decided to compare it with my Korbel, which has H3P 39 degrees with Cermet 2.1 on. At Sunday after playing about 2 hours with the Ignito I switched blade. I picked up the Korbel and played with it to make out the differences. After playing with Korbel for 5-10 minutes, I put it down and played with the Ignito for the rest of the day. I don't know for sure, but when I used the Korbel, it felt awful. Hits and loops were terrible and felt terrible as well. I lost confidence after about 10 minutes playing with Korbel and not getting the good feel I used to have with it.

Now, this is just a preliminary comparison. I now have put the same rubbers on the two blades. H3P 39 degrees + Sriver EL Maximum on both Ignito & Korbel. Just haven't had the chance to play with both to make the comparison just yet. Maybe next week because this week I'm pretty busy with the preparation for my cousin's wedding this weekend. And because this week I'm planning to play exclusively with my Hurricane King blade fitted with H3P + Tokyo 2 PT. I have been using the HK at my training sessions (twice a week @ 1 hour) and play with the Ignito 4 times a week @ 2-3 hours. But this week I plan to use the HK only. Next week I'll continue with the testing and comparing of the Ignito-Korbel (playing/switching both blades on the same nights).

Okay, going back to the Ignito. Here are the preliminary/first impression I have on the blade:

It feels good when I'm hitting. It doesn't have as much vibration as the Korbel and it has that crisp/sharp feel when I hit. I feel more confident hitting when using this blade. On loops, I feel that I could make fast/loop kill shots which are low very easily with it. Even faster and lower than when I use the HK using the same H3P rubber. It does lobs and drive/control loops too, but the easiness and fastness of the fast loops really impresses me.

The blade like I said feels crisp/sharp while provide good amount of dwell time for me to impart good amount of spin on the ball. I feel the blade has low throw. The ease of looping low loop kills and also when I hit and drive I could put the ball low and short and even long but low easily with it. When I used the EL for that one night of playing. I noticed that several people got tricked several times by the amount of under spin I made while chopping and serving than usual when I used EL before. That is, the under spin is heavier than when I usually use EL before.

One of the downside I feel is that when I moved back far from the table. I have to exert more energy than when I use HK. Ignito having low throw doesn't help when playing at long distance away from the table because I need to use more power for it to clear the net. Either that or I open up the blade and make a drive/lob instead.

Blocks are effortless.

I usually don't smash on FH, so I don't know how it does altering between loops and smashes. I smash on the BH and even with soft sponge rubber like EL/Tokyo 2 (I feel the rubbers much softer on this blade than when I use the rubbers on Korbel), when I smash, it generates good speed and power. Enough to make the kill.

I was playing a couple of nights with the Wavestone before I got the Ignito. I think it has some similarity in feel. Wavestone is faster I think but feels less sturdy/stable. The Ignito has better balance and overall gives the more solid feeling. Maybe I should do a head to head comparison with Wavestone instead of Korbel. That way, I'll be comparing both composite blades. I was planning to use the Korbel just because it's more popular blade and that it would be easier to get the comparison from that perspective (as a common standard). What do you guys think?

I think that's all for now. This is my first expanded review so please point out where I could improve. Feel free to comment and/or ask questions.

instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2008 at 3:38pm
Very nice review. One minor typo: you probably meant PK, not HK.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2008 at 11:00pm
You can also post the review on the Table Tennis Database:

Xiom Ignito - Novus Carbon
Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2008 at 11:05pm
the X view reminds me of a Photino/Amultart. Those i think are also better for comparing to the Ignito, being both hinoki top/zylon(carbon). It's almost not fair to compare a Korbel to a fast carbon blade.

Nice pictures though, i wish i was as good at taking pictures.
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2008 at 11:25pm
I dont have photino/amultart. When reviewing i loosely compared it to HK & Korbel, also a little bit of Wavestone (the only carbon, er, arylate-carbon blade i have. The rest are all woods.)

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2008 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

You can also post the review on the Table Tennis Database:Xiom Ignito - Novus Carbon

Will do. Tonight. =)

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2008 at 12:14am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Sorry for quite confusing write-up. When referring to korbel i write korbel, HK for Hurricane King.

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2008 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by rokphish rokphish wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Sorry for quite confusing write-up. When referring to korbel i write korbel, HK for Hurricane King.

Oh.. I see - wow... you've got a lot of pricey blades!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2008 at 11:03am
Not really... The most pricey one I have is Hurricane King...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
hedgehog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2008 at 12:49am
Great review. I want to give thanks to you as the developer of this blade.
A.R.T.E. Table Tennis Engineering

- XIOM BLADE DEVELOPMENT -
- SOUND & VIBRATION ENGINEERING -
phantagarow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantagarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2008 at 7:39am
Are you the same hedgehog who reviews blades in cafe.daum.net?
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2008 at 1:49pm
Here's a little additional info/review:

The blade is not very stiff/hard. Lot softer than Schlager Carbon. One guy from the club was trying it for a few minutes and I was using his SC. He mentioned that it's not bouncy and after just a few minutes he gave it back. He's one of those faster is better group, like many of Indonesian, I should say. The best seller here are Primorac Carbon, Gergely, Sardius, & Schlager Carbon. Even mom & pop sport store will have at least one of these. Well... of course I haven't gone to each small sport stores but I've been to a couple of small ones where I didn't expect to see good selection of TT blades, and there they were among other cheap premades...

Anyway... going back to the Ignito. I think that this blade feels more like all wood blade rather than carbon. That's probably because the carbon used is the softer kind, unlike the regular carbon.

I played Monday night for about 2 hours with the Korbel first then about one hour with the Ignito.

I would say that over the table (short play), they're both good and I don't feel any big/noticeable difference. The difference starts to show when doing more powerful/faster strokes (hits/loops).

The Korbel has more feel, more vibration, and more heft (due to weight - 10g heavier). The Ignito has less vibration, less feel than Korbel, but I could still clearly feel my hits and loops.

It comes down to this I think: power vs speed. With Korbel, I get to play with more heft/substance. With Ignito, light & speedy. I feel that I'm playing more safely with Korbel but more aggresive and faster with the Ignito. Again I say that doing fast loops are very satisfying with the Ignito.

Well, I think that it will be all for my first impressions with the Ignito.

I've started playing with Amadeus tonight. I'll play with it for about a week then I'll post my first impressions of it.

Also, after I'm done with the Amadeus, I'll ship the blades (Ignito, Amadeus, Aria, Fuga, & Jazz) to Peter if he still want to give them a try and then write his impressions on them as well.

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic